PDA

View Full Version : Worried :(

Ash
23-Feb-08, 11:55
last night our cocker alfie was eating his dinner, my 4 year old went to put something in the bin and as she walked past him she patted his head then touched his bowl, since having alfie we have encouraged her to help feed him, so he was ok with her touching bowl, but as she did it last night he growled at her, i went into where he was eating and went to take his bowl of him to tell him of for growling, and i thought he was going to bite me, he growled and went for my hand, why did he do this? he has never done this, im worried he is going to keep doing this

porshiepoo
23-Feb-08, 13:36
This could end up being a serious problem if it's not corrected immediately.
How old is your dog? I'm one of these that really does believe in castration or neuturing if there is no breeding reason to keep a dog entire. I'm not suggesting that this is the cause of the problem or that it will cure the problem but I personally think it's the best thing to do anyway - many people will disagree with that however and that's fine.

As for the growling, there are many things you can do. Firstly I would look at anything that has changed during his feeding routine as you say he's usually been alright, then you need to look at your reaction to his growl. Perhaps you panicked as he'd growled at your child and that's perfectly normal but your reaction to his growl may very well sustain whatever his problem is, you'll probably be quite nervous or anxious around his feeding now and you'll be worried for the kids but if you react by feeding him and running and / or preventing anyone from going near him while he's eating then before long you'll have a dog that makes feeding time a horror and it'll be out of control before you know it.
I would also go back to basics with him - not just at feed time either. When you're preparing his food don't let him crowd you. Make him aware of an invisible barrier that he doesn't cross unless you invite him. This can take time but if you're calm and assertive then it will work quickly. Once his dinner is done put it down for him but again don't let him eat until you invite him to do so. If he tries to barge in block him with your body, you shouldn't need to touch him at all he'll pick up on your body language.
Once he's eating if he growls then calmly take him away from the food and do not invite him back up until he's in a calm, submissive state. Never let him near his food if he's approached it in a rushing, forceful manner. If he walks away from his food for longer than 5 minutes, pick the bowl up until the next feed time.
Go back to basics around the house too. I do not know what you allow the dog to do and what boundaries you have but watch him for signs of dominance i.e jumping on your lap etc etc and stop him from doing it. Again, do it in a calm submissive way and don't speak to him.
Don't use his name for reprimanding either, it's the easiest way to differentiate between the animal and the pet. Treat him as an animal when reprimanding (by that I mean animal body language) and only as his pet name when he's calm submissive. Never pet him when he's in an excited or agitated state.

As I said before, I don't know what your routine is at the moment. Perhaps you already do the above I don't know but these are just some of the basics I would start with.
It may seem that he's only growled the once and to go right back to basics may seem extreme to some but one growl can quickly turn into so much more, whereas there is the chance to stop it now.

I can't stress enough about castration (not as a definitive problem solver though), it can reduce aggressiveness, bolshiness, wandering (looking for bitches, especially if they smell one in heat) and I personally think it reduces rampaging hormones that just aren't necessary in a dog that doesn't have a specific need to be kept entire. My opinion only though.

justine
23-Feb-08, 13:38
Hi Ash.yes this is a worrying situation..The advice i can give you comes from may hours of watching the dog whisperer on tv and trying out his techniques on y dogs..
As you now i have little children aswell and have recently adopted a grown dog and got a new puppy.The matter stands that your dog is getting possessive over his feedig bowl,which is very unhealthy for you and the dog..

What i suggest you try, when you are alone with the dog, is place his food down on the floor.Do not let him have it, dont speak,make no eye contact with him..Stand infront of the bowl,slowly start to move away fromt he bowl, when he goes to get it, stop him by moving towards him, making a noise like Hey, in a loud stern voice, get him to move backwards away from the bowl, you need to claim it...
Kepp doingthis over and over until the dog gets the idea that you own that bowl.When you are sure that he has got the message, which may take half hour or so, bring in your wee one and repeat the exercise but make sure that your little one is in control....
The dog is not recognising that you are pack leader..A dominent dog eats first, in his pack, and that sounds like he is using that to his advantage...

If you try this then you must assert your leadership on him at all times. This is only the beggining...I will send you a pm........I am not an expert just a keen dog owner, who has studied dogs ad believe me this does work...
Having my dogs and all my kids i have to make sure that the dogs know that myself and all in my family are pack leaders....This is only the first step to making your dog stop this behavior before it escalates....

Ash
23-Feb-08, 13:42
thank you soo much for your reply, i never prepare alfies food infront of him, he is told to sit and wait for me to tell him he can take his food, but we have only started doing this recently, so im wondering if this is the change he doesnt like, also he is only being fed in the evenings, where as before he was getting breakfast, my OH said the same about not letting him on our lap, let him know who is in charge, and my brother has mentioned the castration, which im considering, i cant go on in fear of this reoccuring, i know it only happened once, he does seem to be obessed with food, i dont let him around us whilst we have dinner or lunch

i feel useless

porshiepoo
23-Feb-08, 13:46
last night our cocker alfie was eating his dinner, my 4 year old went to put something in the bin and as she walked past him she patted his head then touched his bowl, since having alfie we have encouraged her to help feed him, so he was ok with her touching bowl, but as she did it last night he growled at her, i went into where he was eating and went to take his bowl of him to tell him of for growling, and i thought he was going to bite me, he growled and went for my hand, why did he do this? he has never done this, im worried he is going to keep doing this

I meant to also add that taking a bowl away as punishment doesn't work. Using human psychology on an animal will leave you more frustrated cos the animal just won't understand.
As far as Alfie is concerned he doesn't associate with his loss of food bowl with having a growl, they were two separate issues.
There is no reason to necessarily believe he will do it again, but you have stated you're worried about his future reaction and this could very well instigate the very reaction you're scared of.
Alfie can't tell what you're saying when he's told to 'be nice', he can only read your body language and your energy.
When you're getting his food ready next time, try the invisible line and the other things I said above but also try to have someone to chat to to help take your mind off what you're doing otherwise by the time his food is ready you'll have worked yourself up into a right state and Alfie will pick up on this.
Have it in your head that it's not acceptable and that these are your rules and it may help to empower you which Alfie will pick up on through your energy.
Above all don't get into a shouting match with the dog (I'm not suggesting you do), it'll be a one way fight and neither of you will gain anything from it. Try the body language and if you need to tell him to stay away or reprimand him (only if it's instant) try finding a noise you're comfortable with such as Sshhh (very short) and use that. It helps to prevent a conversation.

Good Luck

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 13:52
I really hope you get this sorted before it leads to something worse

porshiepoo
23-Feb-08, 14:00
thank you soo much for your reply, i never prepare alfies food infront of him, he is told to sit and wait for me to tell him he can take his food, but we have only started doing this recently, so im wondering if this is the change he doesnt like, also he is only being fed in the evenings, where as before he was getting breakfast, my OH said the same about not letting him on our lap, let him know who is in charge, and my brother has mentioned the castration, which im considering, i cant go on in fear of this reoccuring, i know it only happened once, he does seem to be obessed with food, i dont let him around us whilst we have dinner or lunch

i feel useless

Personally I would change his meals to two smaller meals a day. He may be obsessed with food as he may be hungry or do you leave his food bowl down? Personally I would feed him twice a day and give him a few minutes after he's walked away and pick the bowl up. Obviously if he hasn't left any food then it can be picked up immediately.
It's great that you tell him to wait for his food and whether he likes it or not it's not up for negotiation. The house is yours and the rules are yours, he needs those boundaries and limitations.

DON'T feel useless. If you don't think you can change your state of mind at the moment get your OH to feed him.
You really have to work on your state of mind. You're not useless, you've had no problems before and it will be the same again, you just have to reinvent some rules is all.
Also don't start taking it personally either, don't start saying 'why doesn't Alfie like me anymore' (easy done, I've been there) all that will happen is you'll over compensate and then the dog really will rule the roost.
Alfie is an animal that is just reacting to the energy and circumstances around him - as animals do. He'll just as quickly fall back into his usual temperment when he's fully aware who the pack leader is.

I completely understand that it's easy to say all this and extremely hard to put into practice.
I once had a dane that I took back and the blinkin thing would terrify me. Everytime I went into his kennel he'd jump at me from behind and pull me to the ground by my hair. :eek: In the end I wouldn't let anyone else go near him.
Eventually I had enough, I knew what I had to do but I just felt sorry for him. He'd had a bad life and I felt guilty as I'd sold him as a pup but I knew I wasn't doing him any favours so I separated the name from the animal and the next time he tried it I calmly wrestled the dog to the ground and kept him there till stopped fighting me. Eventually I stood up and the dog had totally submitted, after that he tried it half heartedly once more and I did the same again. After that he changed and i changed. I was empowered and he knew who the boss was and he turned into the most loving, loyal dog. BUT I also had him castrated and I do believe this helps.

justine
23-Feb-08, 14:19
Personally I would change his meals to two smaller meals a day. He may be obsessed with food as he may be hungry or do you leave his food bowl down? Personally I would feed him twice a day and give him a few minutes after he's walked away and pick the bowl up. Obviously if he hasn't left any food then it can be picked up immediately.
It's great that you tell him to wait for his food and whether he likes it or not it's not up for negotiation. The house is yours and the rules are yours, he needs those boundaries and limitations.

DON'T feel useless. If you don't think you can change your state of mind at the moment get your OH to feed him.
You really have to work on your state of mind. You're not useless, you've had no problems before and it will be the same again, you just have to reinvent some rules is all.
Also don't start taking it personally either, don't start saying 'why doesn't Alfie like me anymore' (easy done, I've been there) all that will happen is you'll over compensate and then the dog really will rule the roost.
Alfie is an animal that is just reacting to the energy and circumstances around him - as animals do. He'll just as quickly fall back into his usual temperment when he's fully aware who the pack leader is.

I completely understand that it's easy to say all this and extremely hard to put into practice.
I once had a dane that I took back and the blinkin thing would terrify me. Everytime I went into his kennel he'd jump at me from behind and pull me to the ground by my hair. :eek: In the end I wouldn't let anyone else go near him.
Eventually I had enough, I knew what I had to do but I just felt sorry for him. He'd had a bad life and I felt guilty as I'd sold him as a pup but I knew I wasn't doing him any favours so I separated the name from the animal and the next time he tried it I calmly wrestled the dog to the ground and kept him there till stopped fighting me. Eventually I stood up and the dog had totally submitted, after that he tried it half heartedly once more and I did the same again. After that he changed and i changed. I was empowered and he knew who the boss was and he turned into the most loving, loyal dog. BUT I also had him castrated and I do believe this helps.

I am seeing what you are saying but a dog lives in the moment and a dog that suddenly starts growling for no reason over his food bowl is not a change in circumstance. It is a dominant behaviour.He has learned that people will back off...This is pure dominance behaviour...As a pck animal an alfa male will eat first, he is not gaurding his meal. he is saying, back off this is mine, you subordinates leave until i decide that you can eat.
He is letting Ash know that it is his meal and she should not or anyone else in the house come near him .The alfa male would eat alone and thats a dogs life...

The only way to adjust this is to, claim the bowl, claim the food and reinforce the fact that the dog is not alfa..
No dogs are born dominant we make themthat way, by giving them too much love and letting simple things go.There are many ways a dog sees dominance as a powerful weopan and they use it to their best ability.Like i stated before i am no expert and have no qualificatins other than being an owner of a very large dog and a staffie pup.Tank is 12 weeks old, and knows to wait for his meal until i let himhave it.My 2 yr old can take anything off him as he sees her above him...
As pups go he is fantastic and i will continue to use all the skills i have learnt by learning what a dogs life is truely about..I understand the calm submissive attitiude as dogs pick up on these things, but it is known that we as humans need to stop treating our dogs as humans and see them for what they are...
ANIMAL SPECIES BREED NAME, in that order alone....

binbob
23-Feb-08, 14:27
best thing to do when feeding him is put him away on his own..behind closed doors.
trying to master over him is not a good option.
he is maturing and is a gold cocker..as i remember.he may well have rage syndrome,which can become prominent as they approach 1 year old.
i had a gold girl with rage[mt 2nd cocker] .it is a serious ,not treatable or fixable and can result in having the dog put to sleep.
we kept lucy for her whole 11 years..she developed epilepsy [also part of rage...the dogs are not aware of their actions,just like petit mal in humans].
i would never breed solid cockers or ever have one again..

having said that they are not all the same..i know some solids who do not react like this,but they can be very reserved and deep.always a worry.

as u have a child/children,best to play safe with alfie when feeding and i am of the school of thought that as i am not expected to sit ,wait ,stand clap my hands before i am allowed to eat,then i never expect my dogs to do that either.
i see it as a power struggle betewwen dogs/owner...not something i like.
would u do that to ur kids???i think not ..
i ereally do wish u well and alfie too.not an easy one.

justine
23-Feb-08, 14:34
best thing to do when feeding him is put him away on his own..behind closed doors.
he is maturing and is a gold cocker..as i remember.he may well have rage syndrome,which can become prominent as they approach 1 year old.
i had a gold girl with rage[mt 2nd cocker] .it is a serious ,not treatable or fixable and can result in having the dog put to sleep.
we kept lucy for her whole 11 years..she developed epilepsy [also part of rage...the dogs are not aware of their actions,just like petit mal in humans].

having said that they are not all the same..i know some solids who do not react like this,but they can be very reserved and deep.always a worry.

as u have a child/children,best to play safe with alfie when feeding and i am of the school of thought that as i am not expected to sit ,wait ,stand clap my hands before i am allowed to eat,then i never expect my dogs to do that either.

Should it not be easier to have a dog that can be fed with all walking around him than shutting him away, to me that is only reinforcing his dominance..
I talk from experience ,when we first got bingo he would not allow anyone near his food, but i made sure that he knew that we were not taking his food away and now we can go past him, children included and he does not even look up.He is over 41k in weight so imagine what kind of damage he could do...I am goingthrough it at te moment with the pup and i hope that one day i can have both dogs eating side by side with no problem...

Shutting him away is close to putting a naughty child alone, they neither understand what has happened..Dogs are no different...Giving him his space is exactly what a dominant alfa wants.. Wrong approach....

binbob
23-Feb-08, 14:43
justine..it has worked for me for more than 30 years...and even when i had 9 dogs [house dogs] all were fed side by side..no problems.
the odd greedy[not bad tempered ] one was put elsewhere..again this works.why make life any harder??
i have MANY years experience with cocker spaniels,not the working type and my advice to anyone who asked and was put into practice WORKS/WORKED.
however,that is my opinion and what i would do..so each to their own.ash wanted advice and that was my threepenny worth..ash is the one who has to do what will work for her and alfie and i wish her the very best of luck.

justine
23-Feb-08, 15:38
justine..it has worked for me for more than 30 years...and even when i had 9 dogs [house dogs] all were fed side by side..no problems.
the odd greedy[not bad tempered ] one was put elsewhere..again this works.why make life any harder??
i have MANY years experience with cocker spaniels,not the working type and my advice to anyone who asked and was put into practice WORKS/WORKED.
however,that is my opinion and what i would do..so each to their own.ash wanted advice and that was my threepenny worth..ash is the one who has to do what will work for her and alfie and i wish her the very best of luck.

I am glad that it worked for you and as you say it is down to ash to do what works for her, but putting a dog on his own to feed is IMO is the wrong way..I am glad that you have it all figured out and have a successfull, pack...I also have many years of experience with dogs of all types and i know that breed makes no difference to a dogs natural habits..
But like you say each to their own, what works for one does not work for all so a different aproach to all our advice will hopefully help her with this...It is alright for experienced people to say this and that but when some are less experienced it does help to look at it from tth dogs point of view and not ours..
I to hope that ash gets this sorted out before anything happens that is worse than this, but i do know that a dog that suddenly becomes aggressive over food is purely letting us know they are the dominant ones..

As for your statement Why make life harder, who for you or the dog...., thats the attitude i expect from humans. Animals dont have the thought process it is all natural instinct.....

brandy
23-Feb-08, 15:41
the thing is.. if its cocker rage then their is no help for it. as their is no idea of what causes it. ive only heard of it recently as i am reading up about dif. breeds. i had never heard of it before. it tends to be more situated in the solids than the parti and roans. so no idea what causes it..
but good luck hun and hope its just a dominanace thing and hormonal, and can be easily delt with!

justine
23-Feb-08, 15:47
the thing is.. if its cocker rage then their is no help for it. as their is no idea of what causes it. ive only heard of it recently as i am reading up about dif. breeds. i had never heard of it before. it tends to be more situated in the solids than the parti and roans. so no idea what causes it..
but good luck hun and hope its just a dominanace thing and hormonal, and can be easily delt with!

I have never heard of this brandy.Is it something to do with the breed or all dogs...As a dog lover, who hopefully will be going into doing work with dogs, when the wee ones are all up, it is good to hear new problems that are caused by breeds....
My hubby has always had cockers and knows quite alot about the breed, i have not but i do know that breed type does not make a diffrenece....It would be good to see what info you can come up ont his..I would cerainly be interested...I have thought about working with dogs all my life since i was a child when we got our first dog...I would love to work with the SSPCA but have to get my kids up and in school before i can really go into it...

ett23
23-Feb-08, 17:44
There's an interesting link here about cocker rage: http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/Stan_rage_syndrome.htm

Ash
23-Feb-08, 17:47

you havent read what i wrote, he only did it one time, yes it worried me but you cant talk about putting a dog down because of it

cuddlepop
23-Feb-08, 18:38
There's an interesting link here about cocker rage: http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/Stan_rage_syndrome.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/Stan_rage_syndrome.htm)
Thats a really interesting article.
Thanks for posting it Ett23:D

Ash I have no idea about what caused this outburst and like you I.d be concerned.

carasmam
23-Feb-08, 20:16
As it has only happened once maybe Alfie was sore somewhere and it's made him a bit grouchy. Worth checking him over when there is no food around to see if he reacts when you touch him on the head or anywhere else.
Maybe go back to feeding him twice a day, if he knows he's only getting one meal he may be more apt to guard it.
Definitely consider castration imho
Hope you get sorted out soon :)

unicorn
23-Feb-08, 20:51
I was just thinking the same thing carasmam, he hasn't got a sore ear on anything has he. I am assuming that he probably spends 90% of his day in immediate contact with your daughter and yourself as he is a house dog and is not kennelled up, he has not done it before so my first thought would be that he has a sore bit maybe

Ash
23-Feb-08, 20:53
I was just thinking the same thing carasmam, he hasn't got a sore ear on anything has he. I am assuming that he probably spends 90% of his day in immediate contact with your daughter and yourself as he is a house dog and is not kennelled up, he has not done it before so my first thought would be that he has a sore bit maybe

thanks for that, yes he is always in contact with myself and daughter, he doesnt appear to be sore, i fed him tonight, away from my daughter, and i stayed with him, but didnt touch his food, thanks for all replies

binbob
24-Feb-08, 12:12
you havent read what i wrote, he only did it one time, yes it worried me but you cant talk about putting a dog down because of its

ash..i did read it and it did not mean [my words] to run off to the vet...to put him to sleep.
hopefully it will work out..i truly hope so,but i would never take risks with children around.
it is up to u how u choose to deal with it.and i wish u very best of luck and alfie too.it his not his fault..or indeed yours.

porshiepoo
24-Feb-08, 13:17
I am seeing what you are saying but a dog lives in the moment and a dog that suddenly starts growling for no reason over his food bowl is not a change in circumstance. It is a dominant behaviour.He has learned that people will back off...This is pure dominance behaviour...As a pck animal an alfa male will eat first, he is not gaurding his meal. he is saying, back off this is mine, you subordinates leave until i decide that you can eat.
He is letting Ash know that it is his meal and she should not or anyone else in the house come near him .The alfa male would eat alone and thats a dogs life...

The only way to adjust this is to, claim the bowl, claim the food and reinforce the fact that the dog is not alfa..
No dogs are born dominant we make themthat way, by giving them too much love and letting simple things go.There are many ways a dog sees dominance as a powerful weopan and they use it to their best ability.Like i stated before i am no expert and have no qualificatins other than being an owner of a very large dog and a staffie pup.Tank is 12 weeks old, and knows to wait for his meal until i let himhave it.My 2 yr old can take anything off him as he sees her above him...
As pups go he is fantastic and i will continue to use all the skills i have learnt by learning what a dogs life is truely about..I understand the calm submissive attitiude as dogs pick up on these things, but it is known that we as humans need to stop treating our dogs as humans and see them for what they are...
ANIMAL SPECIES BREED NAME, in that order alone....

Yes, dogs do live in the moment. I wasn't suggesting that the amount of feed would be the root cause of the problem, in fact I've tried to make clear that these are all suggestions. But they all need to be looked into and one meal a day IMO probably will not help matters. Meal times (among others) are a brilliant time to assert your hierarchy.
By making Alfie wait while his meal is prepared and not let him near it until Ash gives permission (as I've already mentioned) gives Ash a great chance to do this. Increasing the meals to two a day is obviously a great opportunity for this.

Like you I am a very keen dog owner and extremely interested in dog psychology and do have experience in this area.
I have experience of large breed dogs right down to Yorkies and like yourself anyone could take food etc away from any of my dogs at any point and it would never be an issue.

You mention that we need to stop treating our dogs as humans! Have I not already mentioned that, numerous times? Apologies if I read the content wrong and the tone it was written in but it just seemed that you were attempting to correct me in that area? I've pointed out to Ash in a previous post that she needs to separate the animal from the pet, yet you seem to have shouted that point across to me.

porshiepoo
24-Feb-08, 13:43

Eek! Seriously???????????????
Put him behind closed doors to eat??? What happens when the time comes when you need to take something from him? Maybe he's taken food he's not allowed to have! What do you do then? Close the door on him?
What if you need to hand feed medication disguised in food? Or he has to stay at the vets (and they don't feed behind closed doors)

I appreciate you have your way of rearing animals and I respect that but do you honestly believe you're doing what is right and best for the dog?
You may not expect to have to wait for your meals but then I guess you also wouldn't expect to be shut in a room on your own everytime you have a meal either?

Applying human psychology to a canine is actually not doing the best thing by your dog. Dogs do not think the way we do, they understand hierarchy and pack survival. They don't read newspapers and don't understand our words, they understand energy and body languauge.
It's not about a power struggle, it's about saying in a language canines understand that you are pack leader and that you have set rules, boundaries and limitations. Respect for you and your family is one of these things.
You wouldn't bring up a child without setting rules. It amazes me how people use human psychology on dogs in all areas and then omit this one. For some reason people think dogs will be upset or offended if they are actually made aware of the rules and boundaries.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for yourself and your family to have a dog that is an integral part of the family and can be trusted in all situations without having to be shut out?

My own personal view on Rage Syndrome is that it is nothing more than a humans excuse for something we think we don't understand.
All symptoms of RS (which incidentally, is not breed specific - it's widespread) can also be associated with dominancy.

porshiepoo
24-Feb-08, 13:45
thanks for that, yes he is always in contact with myself and daughter, he doesnt appear to be sore, i fed him tonight, away from my daughter, and i stayed with him, but didnt touch his food, thanks for all replies

But was that because you were afraid to touch the bowl?

binbob
24-Feb-08, 21:46
Put him behind closed doors to eat??? What happens when the time comes when you need to take something from him? Maybe he's taken food he's not allowed to have! What do you do then? Close the door on him?
What if you need to hand feed medication disguised in food? Or he has to stay at the vets (and they don't feed behind closed doors)

I appreciate you have your way of rearing animals and I respect that but do you honestly believe you're doing what is right and best for the dog?
You may not expect to have to wait for your meals but then I guess you also wouldn't expect to be shut in a room on your own everytime you have a meal either?

Applying human psychology to a canine is actually not doing the best thing by your dog. Dogs do not think the way we do, they understand hierarchy and pack survival. They don't read newspapers and don't understand our words, they understand energy and body languauge.
It's not about a power struggle, it's about saying in a language canines understand that you are pack leader and that you have set rules, boundaries and limitations. Respect for you and your family is one of these things.
You wouldn't bring up a child without setting rules. It amazes me how people use human psychology on dogs in all areas and then omit this one. For some reason people think dogs will be upset or offended if they are actually made aware of the rules and boundaries.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for yourself and your family to have a dog that is an integral part of the family and can be trusted in all situations without having to be shut out?

My own personal view on Rage Syndrome is that it is nothing more than a humans excuse for something we think we don't understand.
All symptoms of RS (which incidentally, is not breed specific - it's widespread) can also be associated with dominancy.
u have no understanding of how dreadful rage is ...hope u never experience it.
yes my dogs have many rules and boundaries in their life.
i am not in to power struggles though..and from reading the MANY threads here about folks pets..a great deal seem to think that they are thinking like us humans.i do not and nor do i need to go to the vet to give meds. u are being rather ridiculous there...
i am glad ash did as she did tonight,he will get used to it and eat when hungry.by the way ,i can take anything from my dogs.........at anytime.compromise is a great thing,porshiepoo.
as for kids...been a nurse,nanny ,maternity nurse,prep. school matron and worked at the other end too..as a social worker [over 6 years] with very disturbed and damaged kids..where discipline was sadly lacking.most of them are now locked up in jail as no rules were allowed under the law.we had to give them anything they wanted and nothing they actually needed.
they were the rules of the bosses..sorry i am changing threads here,but i intend no further input on the subject of alfie or RAGE.
THANK U

binbob
24-Feb-08, 21:48

u have no understanding of how dreadful rage is ...hope u never experience it.
yes my dogs have many rules and boundaries in their life.
i am not in to power struggles though..and from reading the MANY threads here about folks pets..a great deal seem to think that they are thinking like us humans.i do not and nor do i need to go to the vet to give meds. u are being rather ridiculous there...
i am glad ash did as she did tonight,he will get used to it and eat when hungry.by the way ,i can take anything from my dogs.........at anytime.compromise is a great thing,porshiepoo.
as for kids...been a nurse,nanny ,maternity nurse,prep. school matron and worked at the other end too..as a social worker [over 6 years] with very disturbed and damaged kids..where discipline was sadly lacking.most of them are now locked up in jail as no rules were allowed under the law.we had to give them anything they wanted and nothing they actually needed.
they were the rules of the bosses..sorry i am changing threads here,but i intend no further input on the subject of alfie or RAGE.
THANK U

ONE THING ..I THOUGHT THE VETS PUT DOGS IN CAGES[FOR THEIR SAFETY] TO GET BETTER AND TO EAT???WHICH VET DO U GO TO THAT LETS THEM ALL OUT TO FEED TOGETHER??????????EEEEK

Ash
25-Feb-08, 09:04
thank you all for your replies

but i am locking this thread, as i have received advice - some good some bad