PDA

View Full Version : What should I stock up my fridge with?

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 09:40
Just got a new fridge and freezer, starting from scratch...what goodies should I buy for my fridge and freezer??

calish6
23-Feb-08, 10:27
Beer !...............................................

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:33
Beer !...............................................

Hahah! I meant food-wise! Any suggestions on that front?

BRIE
23-Feb-08, 10:38
milk, margarine, cheese & ready meals.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:39
Yum! I don't know if I'm just being a cheapskate here...but has anyone else noticed that cheese is bloody expensive!

golach
23-Feb-08, 10:42
Just a fact of life.........................all food is expensive, these days:(

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:44
Hehe! Tesco value food is cheap as heck! But seriousy for 250g of cheese you can be expected to pay £3! That's ridiculous!

BRIE
23-Feb-08, 10:45
yes its very expensive but you get what you pay for.I tryed the cheap cheese from tesco & have never tasted anything like it! made macaroni cheese with it & no-one would eat it, it smelt like cow poo once it was melted!! yuck.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:47
*SPEWS* That is abso-bloody-lutely rank! YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Ewwww! I'm buying that cheese later!

Anne x
23-Feb-08, 11:02
Buy only what you like and know that you are going to use
It will be more economical in the end !
There was a very Interesting thread on here a short time ago about the amount of food we throw out because it was out of date and wasting a lot of money

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:03
Ah cool, will try and find it! So what do you usually have for dinners? What's in your fridge right now?

Solus
23-Feb-08, 11:23
Rod, only you will know what to stock in your fridge, what do you like to eat, do you cook a lot for yourself or prefer prepacked meals ?
If you like cooking, plenty of veg, mince ( makes a multitude of meals ) eggs,pasta, sauces ( or make your own with tin tomtatoes and some garlic etc )

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:25
Ok cheers! You've got me all enthusiastic now! How much would everyone spend stocking their fridge?

Solus
23-Feb-08, 11:29
That depends on your budget Rod , me, i buy my meat from the butchers once a week, spend about 50 to 70 quid in tesco's on stuff and cook from scratch but it is a bit more expensive but worth it.

Spend a short while doing your shopping, plan your meals out for the week at first to see how you get on and take it from there.

orkneylass
23-Feb-08, 11:35
It is best to try to keep your freezer pretty full so if it is too expensive filling it up with meat etc from scratch, fill some of the space with loaves of bread.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:38
Ok...will NOT be buying meat etc from scratch! 70 quid a week! I'll be spending about £10 MAX!!!!!! Good idea on the bread orkneylass, cheers.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:41
My fridge goes from 1 to 7 on the chill factor and my freezer goes from 1 to 5...which setting will be adequete on each? My house is quite cold if that helps?

orkneylass
23-Feb-08, 11:46
My fridge goes from 1 to 7 on the chill factor and my freezer goes from 1 to 5...which setting will be adequete on each? My house is quite cold if that helps?

The temperature setting should be a thermostst so set it to what the instructions suggest regardless of the surrounding temperature. It is important to maintain a safe temperature and if it is in a cold area, it will not have to work so hard to maintain that temperature, that's all.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:48
Ok, good point lol....never thought about the bit where it just doesnt have 2 work as hard

dandod
23-Feb-08, 11:59
stick a turbine on top of your fridge[lol] another great idea,i can smell the millions already[lol] but seriously, only buy food which does not have a tonne of packaging with it or came thousands of miles. do your bit to reduce your carbon footprint or buy local meat veg and fruit. food which does not travel as far has a higher content of vitamins so therefore better for you and the enviornment, may cost a little bit more but worth it.

Venture
23-Feb-08, 12:01
Five different questions in one thread........next you'll be asking everyone what colour of underwear do you put on on a Sunday. Use some commonsense..at the end of the day you'll be the one eating it so you should know what to put in it. Making decisions for yourself is part of the process of being "out on your own".

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 12:14
If you buy a packet of minced beef 800g or so. You can then buy one pack of spag bol sauce and one of chilli, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and one of red kidney beans and 1 onion. Half the mince, follow the instructions on the sauce packs to make 2 good portions of chilli and 2 of spag bol. you can then split it out into freezer bags and defrost it when you need it.

Cheap, filling and doesn't take long to sort out.
4 days meals sorted in one cooking session.

floyed
23-Feb-08, 12:57
Five different questions in one thread........next you'll be asking everyone what colour of underwear do you put on on a Sunday. Use some commonsense..at the end of the day you'll be the one eating it so you should know what to put in it. Making decisions for yourself is part of the process of being "out on your own".

That's a bit harsh, it's just a few questions and everyone on her seems ok with answering them and helping him out. Some people just dont know these sort of things and need a little help, maybe there is no one else for him to ask.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 12:58
Sorry, I didn't mean to ask stupid questions.

dandod
23-Feb-08, 13:02
That's a bit harsh, it's just a few questions and everyone on her seems ok with answering them and helping him out. Some people just know these sort of things and need a little help, maybe there is no one else for him to ask.
well said! some people can just be plain rude.why do they bother replying in the first place.maybe they get kicks out of poking fun at others.thank god those people are few and far between.

dandod
23-Feb-08, 13:04
you have nothing to apologise for! besides it should not be you doing the apologising!

floyed
23-Feb-08, 13:05

Dont say sorry you have every right to come on here and ask what you like. There are plenty of nice people on here, who are willing to answer any sort of questions. How will you know if you dont ask.

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 13:16

Not stupid questions at all, valid questions imho. Especially if you're on a tight budget which would mean you have less room to muck up and learn from your mistakes. You don't want to get it wrong and end up with sod all to eat for a week. You ask away, you won't find anywhere else you'll get so many people willing to give you so much help and with local info too, don't let the odd grumpy one spoil it :)

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 13:16
Dont say sorry you have every right to come on here and ask what you like. There are plenty of nice people on here, who are willing to answer any sort of questions. How will you know if you dont ask.

you have nothing to apologise for! besides it should not be you doing the apologising!

Thank-you, the world needs more people with attitudes like these!

Anne x
23-Feb-08, 13:21
Go into the recipe thread there are lots of nice and easy and cheap and cheerfull recipies and hints on that trawl through them
you could always make Soup eat some and freeze some again loads of recipies on the board

nannydip
23-Feb-08, 13:22
Hi rob16d if you are on a tight budget go to Lidls, plenty of choice and cheaper.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 13:29
Cheers anne and nanny....both god suggestions, will do both. Any more ideas here people?

dandod
23-Feb-08, 13:36
if you have roast chicken and got plenty leftover then the next day,boil some pasta,get a can on campbells condensed chicken soup,(sweetcorn if you like it) a little bit of milk and the chicken. mix the soup,sweetcorn,milk and chicken together and stir through the cooked past. put it in a dish,sprinkle with cheese and pop it in the oven until cheese melted.tastes great and you get 2 meals from 1 chicken.

Thumper
23-Feb-08, 13:37
rob another easy,cheap and filling meal is boil up some pasta then take a can of condensed soup(I use chicken) and instead of adding water to it just heat it in a pan and mix with the pasta,cheap easy and filling....will serve at least 3 x

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 13:41
cool cheers everyone

Venture
23-Feb-08, 14:26
rob16d -- You just fire ahead and post as many "stupid questions" (your words) as you like. Im entitled to post a reply just like everyone else. Seems nowadays on the org that you can't have a difference of opinion without being verbally attacked for it.

By the way re your other post on here "sirens on Wellington Street" where about in Thurso is Wellington Street. Didnt even know they had one.

karia
23-Feb-08, 14:41
He never said Wellington street was in Thurso....you've construed that based on where he lives but perhaps he popped into Wick to stock up his freezer and heard the sirens there.:D

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 15:00
He never said Wellington street was in Thurso....you've construed that based on where he lives but perhaps he popped into Wick to stock up his freezer and heard the sirens there.:D

Thanks Karia! Well that other guy doesn't need to act smart! There should be more posters like you Karia! ;)

karia
23-Feb-08, 15:03
There should be more posters like you Karia! ;)

Careful what you wish for rob!:lol:

Venture
23-Feb-08, 15:12

LOL well said KARIA must have had his/her PC/laptop under his/her arm.

and ROB thanks for thinking Im smart though you havent' been smart enough to give me an answer yet.

teddybear1873
23-Feb-08, 15:16
Think someones hormones is in overdrive. Just the leave the lad alone. Hes doing no harm to anyone. It's nice to be nice and its costs nothing.

karia
23-Feb-08, 15:17
LOL well said KARIA must have had his/her PC/laptop under his/her arm.

Try struggling with this concept Venture...Perhaps he has friends in Wick.

By the way did no one ever tell you that to use the caps lock is considered shouting which is not only rude but against the rules of this Forum.

Metalattakk
23-Feb-08, 15:21
Ooh, get her! Mod-Karia now eh?

Anyway, I think you'll find that excessive use of caps-lock is against forum rules, not the odd use of it here and there.

Down off the high-horse, m'dear. ;)

karia
23-Feb-08, 15:29
Ooh, get her! Mod-Karia now eh?

Anyway, I think you'll find that excessive use of caps-lock is against forum rules, not the odd use of it here and there.

Down off the high-horse, m'dear. ;)

Right...I mention the rules and I am on my high horse but you 'correct' me and you're not?:confused

It is generally considered bad manners to type in caps and this may not have been excessive but was used in both our names which certainly seems intentional.

I have said before and will say again that I would never wish to be a mod when I look at some of the idiots they have to put up with!

Metalattakk
23-Feb-08, 15:37
Right...I mention the rules and I am on my high horse but you 'correct' me and you're not?:confused

It is generally considered bad manners to type in caps and this may not have been excessive but was used in both our names which certainly seems intentional.

So being correct is now viewed as being on my high horse? Strange world you seem to live in, KARIA.

And, please explain where it is generally considered bad manners to use capital letters in the way I, and Venture have?

teddybear1873
23-Feb-08, 15:39
HEELLLOOOOOOOOOOOO. ANYONE IN HERE....Woops did i shout?

floyed
23-Feb-08, 15:43
HEELLLOOOOOOOOOOOO. ANYONE IN HERE....Woops did i shout?

very childish[disgust]

Venture
23-Feb-08, 15:47
Try struggling with this concept Venture...Perhaps he has friends in Wick.

By the way did no one ever tell you that to use the caps lock is considered shouting which is not only rude but against the rules of this Forum.

How petty is that. I have to be absolutely honest and say the only reason I used capitals was because I was referring to names. If you also want to pick on the lol being in capitals then i did laugh loudly to myself at your reply thinking you were being funny...not..

The reason I asked the question about the location of Wellington Street is that I happened to be on the phone to someone in Wellington Street when I noticed robs post. The person I was talking to couldn't hear sirens so when I saw that Rob was supposed to be in Thurso I asked the question I posted.

Simple question with still no answer.

ett23
23-Feb-08, 15:59
Ah cool, will try and find it! So what do you usually have for dinners? What's in your fridge right now?

Anyway.....getting back to the subject of the thread.......
I usually have plenty of yoghurts in my fridge, along with sandwich meat (ham, chicken, etc), margarine (spreading and baking), cheese, milk, fresh fruit juice, diluted juice, vegetables, eggs, bacon and stuff like that - general staples for our household.
As to what we usually have for dinners - pasta bolognese, curry, chilli, spaghetti carbonara, sausages and mash (cheap and dead easy to cook!) and the like.
Hope you have fun stocking up your fridge/freezer! ;)

And do try to ignore the grumpy ones on the org. They just like the sound of their own voice too much!! :Razz

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 17:41
Thanks ett! Just back from Tesco! Loved it! Jesus Venture get over yourself, Karia is just trying to be nice to me. I can't believe how rude some people are! Anyway Karia, just ignore any insults he throws out- he's got nothing better to do!

percy toboggan
23-Feb-08, 17:47
Ive recently taken to eating fresh berries...delicious blueberries, blackberries.These benefit from refrigeration. Full of anti-oxidants to combat your free radicals. Try them in porridge.

ett23
23-Feb-08, 17:54
Ive recently taken to eating fresh berries...delicious blueberries, blackberries.These benefit from refrigeration. Full of anti-oxidants to combat your free radicals. Try them in porridge.

Mmmm sounds good. Another one that goes well with porridge is warm dried apricots. Cook them in water in the microwave then stir them into the hot porridge - yummy!!;)

Venture
23-Feb-08, 18:44
Thanks ett! Just back from Tesco! Loved it! Jesus Venture get over yourself, Karia is just trying to be nice to me. I can't believe how rude some people are! Anyway Karia, just ignore any insults he throws out- he's got nothing better to do!

I would suggest you take a look at the content of your own post before you accuse me of being rude and insulting.

Swearing is against the rules of this forum.

Metalattakk
23-Feb-08, 18:45

Careful, young man. Pots and kettles and the colour black. ;)

dandod
23-Feb-08, 19:01
give the poor lad a break. if you are suggesting he swore, then surely he would have been suspended.leave the newbie alone.

scorrie
23-Feb-08, 19:23
Hehe! Tesco value food is cheap as heck! But seriousy for 250g of cheese you can be expected to pay £3! That's ridiculous!

You can get 500g of excellent cheese from Lidl for about £2.50

It will be labelled as either Galpo or Manor Vale but it is made by Scotland's biggest cheese maker McLelland. They also make cheese under their own name, under the name Galloway, and Seriously Strong is them as well. Same cheese, different label, cheaper price. Incidentally Lidl's "no-name" bacon is made by Tulip.

karia
23-Feb-08, 19:47
You can get 500g of excellent cheese from Lidl for about £2.50

It will be labelled as either Galpo or Manor Vale but it is made by Scotland's biggest cheese maker McLelland. They also make cheese under their own name, under the name Galloway, and Seriously Strong is them as well. Same cheese, different label, cheaper price. Incidentally Lidl's "no-name" bacon is made by Tulip.

Methinks this harks back to an earlier thread where you asked about brand names Scorrie...would I be correct?:D

If so...you've known that all this time and didnae share..until now.....
..shame on you!;)

Bobinovich
23-Feb-08, 19:56
Cheap an' easy meals...

Tasty curry ... Knorr Sizzle & Stir Tikka Masala sauce + a couple of chopped up chicken breasts + either rice or a Sharwoods Naan bread. Follow the instructions - takes 15 minutes and makes 2 really good sized portions.

Simple Pasta ... Homepride Tomato & Herb Pasta Bake sauce + fusili pasta. Follow instructions it is Sooooo easy 'cos you just mix the whole lot together and chuck it in the oven. Again 2 really good sized portions.

You won't get much easier than these and both are really tasty.

Venture
23-Feb-08, 20:00
give the poor lad a break. if you are suggesting he swore, then surely he would have been suspended.leave the newbie alone.

I dont think he/she can be classed as a "newbie" anymore. If anything I d say he/she was an old hand at it now having started 20 new threads and posted 198 times since joining only a week ago.

northener
23-Feb-08, 20:06
Rob, Top your fridge up with concrete blocks, leaving just a small square empty in the middle.

This will reduce massively the amount of food you need to buy to fill your fridge and give you a ready source of ammunition to hurl at your detractors.:D

ciderally
23-Feb-08, 20:50
hey sounds like you have it sorted now rob, lots good info for you ...enjoy

scorrie
23-Feb-08, 20:51
Methinks this harks back to an earlier thread where you asked about brand names Scorrie...would I be correct?:D

If so...you've known that all this time and didnae share..until now.....
..shame on you!;)

I thought this guy was new so perhaps he hasn't read all the threads. If I recall correctly I DID share the information but nobody seemed interested.

I apologise if I have broken any rules by repeating information. There is so much bickering going on on this site these days, that you have to wonder if it is worth posting anything at all.

karia
23-Feb-08, 21:10
I thought this guy was new so perhaps he hasn't read all the threads. If I recall correctly I DID share the information but nobody seemed interested.

I apologise if I have broken any rules by repeating information. There is so much bickering going on on this site these days, that you have to wonder if it is worth posting anything at all.

Naww..didn't mean that at all mate..just remember you asking folks opinion on 'Tulip' brand and as I have a background in advertising and marketing it interested me..thought you might have a similar interest...I must have missed your 'reveal'

T'was a friendly comment.

kariax

Venture
23-Feb-08, 21:11

Hi Scorrie dont apologise I found your information really good about Lidls as I hadn't seen it before. Not everyone goes into all the threads. You thought the information about the cheese etc would be helpful on this thread so there is no need to apologise for posting it again.

Keep on posting.

trix
23-Feb-08, 21:17
There is so much bickering going on on this site these days, that you have to wonder if it is worth posting anything at all.

'iss is 'e best laugh iv hed since last weeks 'heated debate' - laughin ma ass off ifanow....:lol:

please da stop postin scorrie, ye crack me up.......!

an rob, mind an check oot ma neep soup in e recipe section - its a guid aine ;)

scorrie
23-Feb-08, 21:45
Naww..didn't mean that at all mate..just remember you asking folks opinion on 'Tulip' brand and as I have a background in advertising and marketing it interested me..thought you might have a similar interest...I must have missed your 'reveal'

T'was a friendly comment.

kariax

Sorry if I picked it up wrong. I read the comment a few times and could not see any reason behind it other than that it was pointing to information I had given before. There seems to be a lot of comment being made about what people should and should not be posting these days, AND the ways in which they should be making those posts. It is turning me off the org in a big way. I am not especially bothered about myself but more for the org as a whole. There seems to be too many sparring matches going on and it is not friendly sparring.

karia
23-Feb-08, 22:00
Sorry if I picked it up wrong. I read the comment a few times and could not see any reason behind it other than that it was pointing to information I had given before. There seems to be a lot of comment being made about what people should and should not be posting these days, AND the ways in which they should be making those posts. It is turning me off the org in a big way. I am not especially bothered about myself but more for the org as a whole. There seems to be too many sparring matches going on and it is not friendly sparring.

Quite agree!

justine
23-Feb-08, 23:04
Hey rob. You keep posting mate.....Well as for you fridge its abit like being on here..

Put your veg at the bottom, your meaty bits in the middle, except for your faggots, they must go in the well cold freezer..

Beer on the top shelf for your good mates, and all the rest of the crap goes in the door. easy to open and place in the bin if needed.....

Venture
23-Feb-08, 23:22

Totally agree with your comments Scorrie. My original post on here today was meant to be funny with a wee bit of realistic advice throw in. Obviously I didnt word it funnily enough for some people and I ended up being called, rude, insulting, someone who got my kicks from poking fun at others, accused of shouting, breaking the rules, being bad mannered, having the wrong attitude and then being told "Jesus get over yourself". Definitely not very friendly.

router
23-Feb-08, 23:27
Totally agree with your comments Scorrie. My original post on here today was meant to be funny with a wee bit of realistic advice throw in. Obviously I didnt word it funnily enough for some people and I ended up being called, rude, insulting, someone who got my kicks from poking fun at others, accused of shouting, breaking the rules, being bad mannered, having the wrong attitude and then being told "Jesus get over yourself". Definitely not very friendly.

Not to call the kettle but i have read through his thread and found that you were the one who started having a go....If he wants to post thing about stuff he is not to sure on then is it not up to the wiser ones to help not hound, which is what you did.You must accept that you will be called for this and get on with it.
No i am not having ago just stating the obvious....you were rude but i think rob took it all in fun.....so let bygone be bygones.

Venture
23-Feb-08, 23:30

rob16d - just thought Id let you know that the "he" you refer to in your post is a she.

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 23:33

Don't bite my head off.....

It really didn't come over that way to me and I'm obviously not the only one or ww3 wouldn't have broken out.

Ya could've just said "Oops, It was meant to be a joke. Sorry it didn't read that way"

If the org had sound effects then some days it would sound like a nursery school playground!

karia
23-Feb-08, 23:34
rob16d - just thought Id let you know that the "he" you refer to in your post is a she.

Rude behaviour has no gender.

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 23:36
Rude behaviour has no gender.

Mine does ;)

karia
23-Feb-08, 23:37
Mine does ;)

Yeah..but you have points to make..real points!:D

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 23:41

Sssshhhhh, don't let anyone hear you say that. I happen to famous for my inane drivel thanken you velly much :lol:

Meanwhile.... back at Rob's fridge......

karia
23-Feb-08, 23:52
Sssshhhhh, don't let anyone hear you say that. I happen to famous for my inane drivel thanken you velly much :lol:

Meanwhile.... back at Rob's fridge......

schorrie sapphie.;)

Fromage Fraise makes a versatile ( and healthy) standby and I'd have to say that frozen broad beans are hard to beat either on taste, texture or health giving properties.

Venture
23-Feb-08, 23:54

and your point here is...

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 23:56
and your point here is...

A big pointy one!! :lol:

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 23:58
schorrie sapphie.;)

Fromage Fraise makes a versatile ( and healthy) standby and I'd have to say that frozen broad beans are hard to beat either on taste, texture or health giving properties.

Bleurgh, you bad bad woman! Broad beans are what nasty parents make their poor sweet children eat! I do like those frozen soya beans though :)

karia
24-Feb-08, 00:08
Bleurgh, you bad bad woman! Broad beans are what nasty parents make their poor sweet children eat! I do like those frozen soya beans though :)

Ha ha............black pepper, a smattering of vinegar & knob of butter ........cut the boiling to 5 mins max..superb..and not unlike he soya beans may I say...

..just more nutritious!

............and tastier!;)

golach
24-Feb-08, 00:14
I think this thread, has again turned into a "lets get our post numbers up with useless postings" [disgust]

karia
24-Feb-08, 00:21
Let's be sure rob knows how to use the 'ignore' list..there's time he could better spend.;)

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 00:24
I think this thread, has again turned into a "lets get our post numbers up with useless postings" [disgust]

Guilty as charged:

PostsTotal Posts: 236 (0.33 posts per day)

Ooh... watch me go!! [lol]

karia
24-Feb-08, 00:30
Guilty as charged:

PostsTotal Posts: 236 (0.33 posts per day)

Ooh... watch me go!! [lol]

Do we get Tesco vouchers?:lol:

Venture
24-Feb-08, 00:41
Do we get Tesco vouchers?:lol:

No sorry girls no Tesco vouchers just a big wooden spoon and don't poke the badgers with it Sapphire

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 00:57
No sorry girls no Tesco vouchers just a big wooden spoon and don't poke the badgers with it Sapphire

Oh, you're no fun :(