PDA

View Full Version : CCTV useful I think not!

veekay
22-Feb-08, 19:57
Heard a story yesterday and if it is true then Northern need shooting. Apparently Cardosi's confectioners Thurso was broken into. Across the road some ten yards away there is a CCTV camera, so the culprits were caught on film doing the deed. No the camera is dirty so they can't see the pictures clearly. Now I don't know if it is true but if so what use are the cameras to anyone. I hate the things anyway , '1984' arrived a litle bit late.

EDDIE
22-Feb-08, 20:11
well i think its up to Cardosi's confectioners to have cctv im suprised they dont have them installed would have thought it would lower his insurance and be of more benift to him

DeHaviLand
22-Feb-08, 20:13
Heard a story yesterday and if it is true then Northern need shooting. Apparently Cardosi's confectioners Thurso was broken into. Across the road some ten yards away there is a CCTV camera, so the culprits were caught on film doing the deed. No the camera is dirty so they can't see the pictures clearly. Now I don't know if it is true but if so what use are the cameras to anyone. I hate the things anyway , '1984' arrived a litle bit late.

How can you relate 1 dirty camera to the usefulness, or otherwise, of a full CCTV system?:roll:

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds.

northener
22-Feb-08, 20:23
Heard a story yesterday and if it is true then Northern need shooting. .......

Huh? What have I done now?:eek:

fingalmacool
22-Feb-08, 20:30
This is not the first time this excuse was used, that dirt blocked the view, some time ago our famous pie shop Johnstones was broken into, the cctv is right above the door, but because of the dirt on the protective glass they didn't have a scooby who did it, they had footage but it was useless, so who should be given the job of cleaning same, answers on a postcard to your local mp.

sphinx
22-Feb-08, 21:45
the police should b out walking on the beat instead of running around in the car. in the citys they are out walking on the beat most the time i cant mind the last time i seen a bobby walking oh i can last gala.........:Razz

Big G
22-Feb-08, 21:52
to be fair i have seen police walking the streets of Thurso quite regularly over the past few weeks.

quiteone
22-Feb-08, 21:56
someone i know got a hell of a kicking outside de shoe shop, he had to fone an ambulance for himself he was so badly beaten.............for no reason!!! and the cctv cameras above could not get a clear enough picture to identify his attackers!! the cctv is a waste of time and money!! makes me mad [mad]

Big G
22-Feb-08, 22:02
so people are saying the cctv cameras are not clean - who's job is it to clean them?

Penelope Pitstop
22-Feb-08, 22:07
I heard someone got done for sneaking through as the lights changed to red - caught on the cameras !!!! Must of been a day the cameras were clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused

Easy target the motorist....get him :(

Penelope Pitstop
22-Feb-08, 22:10
so people are saying the cctv cameras are not clean - who's job is it to clean them?

How about getting some of the fit healthy folk not working but claiming unemployment benefit to do it ?????????

Bet some of them would welcome some kind of community work to do....

quiteone
22-Feb-08, 22:26
or the ones who run about all day in disability cars!!! i work full time and cant afford a car!!!

buggyracer
22-Feb-08, 23:15
a few weeks ago my car wing mirror was smashed (pavement side, looked like it had been punched) whilst parked on princess street one firday evening, i reported it to the police who at the time quickly checked the camera and said yes we can see where your car was parked we will get back to you in a day or 2 once we check the recordings, 2 weeks later, sorry we couldnt really make anything out? :eek:

to be fair to the pc he was very polite and helpfull, perhaps it was just unclear as to who the vandal actually was? shame tho that we have the cctv yet it isnt up to coverin certain areas?

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 23:18
funny how it always pics up somebody being bad in other ways tho isnt it? ;) x

DeHaviLand
22-Feb-08, 23:36
funny how it always pics up somebody being bad in other ways tho isnt it? ;) x

Hmmm, like when you misbehave at college:eek:

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 23:37
Mr Dehaviland....I am shocked!:eek: You know fine well that wasnt me...I was with you at the time ;) x

DeHaviLand
22-Feb-08, 23:40
Mr Dehaviland....I am shocked!:eek: You know fine well that wasnt me...I was with you at the time x

Yip, at college:eek:

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 23:41
Thin ice dehaviland....very thin ice ;) x

saffy100
22-Feb-08, 23:53
I for one have seen the police walking the streets of Thurso, i don't know why people always have to be so negative towards them, i imagine they have a lot to deal with and i for one know that they would be the first people i would call in an emergency.

I think myself lucky that they even come out for minor things....when i lived in the big city they dont have time to go after the smaller problems....and motorists jumping lights...well forgive me if i'm wrong......but that is illegal, and so if a motorist breaks the law what makes him less liable that someone knocking a wing mirror off!!

I think they are doing a grand job and hats off to them.

Looby2K7
22-Feb-08, 23:54
The criminals caught doing the dirty deed and are scentenced to community hours service should be made to clean them....if anything it might make them think twice next time.....cos theres always usually a next time:roll:

scorrie
23-Feb-08, 01:13
I heard someone got done for sneaking through as the lights changed to red - caught on the cameras !!!! Must of been a day the cameras were clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused

If only I had a quid for every time I heard that motorists were singled out. If motorists would obey the rules, then Police could get on a lot better with other crimes. Simple fact, end of story.

ywindythesecond
23-Feb-08, 01:36
The criminals caught doing the dirty deed and are scentenced to community hours service should be made to clean them....if anything it might make them think twice next time.....cos theres always usually a next time:roll:

First sensible reply
ywy2

bobandag16
23-Feb-08, 12:51
If only I had a quid for every time I heard that motorists were singled out. If motorists would obey the rules, then Police could get on a lot better with other crimes. Simple fact, end of story.
good point. the main problem is never going to be enough police . cost .ratio to population area to cover. so all be good citizens. l

dandod
23-Feb-08, 13:09
i have seen the police on foot in wick a lot recently aswell. maybe when the council are watering the hanging the baskets with the cherry pickers they could give a quick wipe to the camers aswell.it would not take that long there are not many cameras.

Torvaig
23-Feb-08, 13:15
or the ones who run about all day in disability cars!!! i work full time and cant afford a car!!!

I hope you surely wouldn't prefer to be disabled....

Kevin Milkins
24-Feb-08, 02:35
How about getting some of the fit healthy folk not working but claiming unemployment benefit to do it ?????????

Bet some of them would welcome some kind of community work to do....

Gis a job
I can do that
When do I start?
Where do I pick up my bucket and sponge?
Can anybody lend me a ladder?
Can anybody make themselves available to carry my Ladder?
WHAT! carry it myself!/ WITH MY BACK

webmannie
24-Feb-08, 10:49

Och aye, they`ll probably clean them with kitchen scourer pads!!

hobbes1962
24-Feb-08, 13:20

Steady on, there are a number of legitimate people out there with disability cars - and its not as if they are free anyway

Metalattakk
24-Feb-08, 13:31
Heard a story yesterday and if it is true then Northern need shooting.

What if this story isn't true? Who would deserve shooting then? You, perhaps?

webmannie
24-Feb-08, 13:32
Steady on, there are a number of legitimate people out there with disability cars - and its not as if they are free anyway

Well said hobbes1962, quiteone obviously has an axe to grind.

TBH
24-Feb-08, 13:39
or the ones who run about all day in disability cars!!! i work full time and cant afford a car!!!Sure they do, all the disabled people of Wick scrounge a car off the social, gather in the market square and then proceed to cruise around the streets all day. Those nasty disabled people have nothing better to do.:roll: If you'd like and if it was possible, I am sure someone would quite gladly give you their disability and the car.

dook
24-Feb-08, 13:40
the police should b out walking on the beat instead of running around in the car. in the citys they are out walking on the beat most the time i cant mind the last time i seen a bobby walking oh i can last gala.........:Razz

Sounds great. But on the downside you have to wait 4 days to see the police when your house is broken into. Good old cities.....

TBH
24-Feb-08, 13:44
Well said hobbes1962, quiteone obviously has an axe to grind.Or maybe an axle?:lol:

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 13:52
Sure they do, all the disabled people of Wick scrounge a car off the social, gather in the market square and then proceed to cruise around the streets all day. Those nasty disabled people have nothing better to do.:roll: If you'd like and if it was possible, I am sure someone would quite gladly give you their disability and the car.

And then they go and park all the disability cars up in Mcarthur street. ;)

TBH
24-Feb-08, 13:54
And then they go and park all the disability cars up in Mcarthur street. ;)That is the finish line after a good days cruising.

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 13:59
Whatever happened to those strange little blue, one seater disability cars?

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 14:09
Whatever happened to those strange little blue, one seater disability cars?

You're going back in time a bit now Saphire, last time i saw one of those, i was working in Macrae And Dicks garage 35 years ago.

TBH
24-Feb-08, 14:12
Whatever happened to those strange little blue, one seater disability cars?Don't mention those, quiteone will be apoplectic with jealousy.

sphinx
24-Feb-08, 15:04
police in the citys now run around on bikes its more eco friendly. and it can get places the cars cant.....;)

balto
24-Feb-08, 15:13
you cant say that because a lot people who have disability cars really need them and i doubt they would be fit enough to climb up to clean cameras anyway, it is a bit unfair to say that about them, as most of them are honest people who rely on their cars to get around and they pay for their cars they dont get them for nothing ok. so how about we put peole who are asked to do community service to clean these cameras.:mad::mad:

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 15:24
It would be in the interest of a lot of people on community service to tamper with the cameras, so I wouldn't advise it.
Put the community service peeps out litter picking and sorting out all the land drains in Caithness.
Then we could have a system like Sweden where part of the deal when you get unemployment benefit is that you earn it. No work, no money. Get the unemployed peeps doing a couple of hours a week, one of their jobs could be to clean cctv cameras.
There ya go, I've just sorted out the council's budget. Easy peasy ;)

balto
24-Feb-08, 15:27
It would be in the interest of a lot of people on community service to tamper with the cameras, so I wouldn't advise it.
Put the community service peeps out litter picking and sorting out all the land drains in Caithness.
Then we could have a system like Sweden where part of the deal when you get unemployment benefit is that you earn it. No work, no money. Get the unemployed peeps doing a couple of hours a week, one of their jobs could be to clean cctv cameras.
to right its little wonder so many of them dont want to work why would they when they get it all given to them when the rest of us have to work to help support them and their families, i understand that their are some people out there desperate to work but just cant find anything sutiable.

TBH
24-Feb-08, 15:39
you cant say that because a lot people who have disability cars really need them and i doubt they would be fit enough to climb up to clean cameras anyway, it is a bit unfair to say that about them, as most of them are honest people who rely on their cars to get around and they pay for their cars they dont get them for nothing ok. so how about we put peole who are asked to do community service to clean these cameras.:mad::mad:Here's a radical solution: Take them all down.

balto
24-Feb-08, 15:45
Here's a radical solution: Take them all down.
well if they arent serving their purpose then they should all be taken down and the money that is spent running them put to better use

Kevin Milkins
24-Feb-08, 15:58
You're going back in time a bit now Saphire, last time i saw one of those, i was working in Macrae And Dicks garage 35 years ago.

I came over with a cold shiver when you mentioned Macrae & Dicks.
I am the one that is offering my black TD5 Discovery for sale in the cars for sale Colum.

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 16:10
I came over with a cold shiver when you mentioned Macrae & Dicks.
I am the one that is offering my black TD5 Discovery for sale in the cars for sale Colum.

And i came over with a cold shiver every day i went to work there, great bunch of guys to work with, but man did we get up to some horrendous escapades.

TBH
24-Feb-08, 16:12
well if they arent serving their purpose then they should all be taken down and the money that is spent running them put to better useStudies have shown cctv can help reduce vehicle crime but there is no evidence that it prevents violent crime. Spending on CCTV allegedly accounts for three-quarters of the money available for crime prevention. All that money for what?

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 16:17

And in the summer time, so they can keep their tans topped up, never mind lawn mowers or strimmers, give them a pair of garden shears and put them to the long grass at the sides of the roads, especially at junctions, where you practically have to go half way into the road before you can see if there are any traffic coming.

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 16:44
And in the summer time, so they can keep their tans topped up, never mind lawn mowers or strimmers, give them a pair of garden shears and put them to the long grass at the sides of the roads, especially at junctions, where you practically have to go half way into the road before you can see if there are any traffic coming.
Nail scissors :lol:

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 17:26

Nail scissors :lol:

Oh cruel woman you. lol

quiteone
24-Feb-08, 22:40
sorry i should of been clearer, i was refering to a select few of these disibilty car drivers that do not need a car are perfectly able to work but know how to work the system..........and then u get the people who work hard for a living payin taxes like me and i cant afford to have a car let alone run the thing as its expensive. but these select few i refer to just run around the town all day every day!!! some do need the cars but some definately dont!!
you cant say that because a lot people who have disability cars really need them and i doubt they would be fit enough to climb up to clean cameras anyway, it is a bit unfair to say that about them, as most of them are honest people who rely on their cars to get around and they pay for their cars they dont get them for nothing ok. so how about we put peole who are asked to do community service to clean these cameras.:mad::mad:

Metalattakk
24-Feb-08, 22:44
sorry i should of been clearer, i was refering to a select few of these disibilty car drivers that do not need a car are perfectly able to work but know how to work the system..........

Hold on just a second - are you suggesting that disabled people should only qualify for a motability car if they cannot work?

I find that all rather insulting.

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 22:46
Hold on just a second - are you suggesting that disabled people should only qualify for a motability car if they cannot work?

I find that all rather insulting.

I think the point was more that there are people who play the system just to get a mobility allowance when they're not really entitled to it.

Metalattakk
24-Feb-08, 22:51
Yep, you're possibly right, although quiteone surely can just come out and say that instead of slurring disabled people in general.

quiteone
24-Feb-08, 22:51
yes thats all i was tryin to say........not to insult anyone.

Whitewater
24-Feb-08, 22:52
I wonder if the lenses are really dirty. If they can catch motorists offending, they are generally a softer option for the police, therefor no hesitation in charging them. The dirty lens excuse methinks is just an excuse for no action to be taken. But if it is true and our boys in blue are responsible, they should employ somebody to clean them or else stop wasting tax payers money. I wonder how often they clean the speed cameras? There never seems to be a problem reading a number through that particular lens.

quiteone
24-Feb-08, 22:56
i am in no way watsoever slurring disabled people!! especially when my own dad suffers disabilities.all i am sayin is there are a few people out there that should not be entitled to these cars. anyway it was the cctv camers the thread is about.

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 23:00
Yep, you're possibly right, although quiteone surely can just come out and say that instead of slurring disabled people in general.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that if you receive DLA, that you can't work (or are saying that you can't work)
For the record, you can work if you are able to, it doesn't mean you don't deserve to get help running a car etc.
I have met people over the years who had managed to get onto DLA when they had nothing wrong with them. It seems like the next step when the dole office start getting shirty with you for not finding work. They are the ones you see jumping out of a 4x4 on double yellow lines at a corner and skipping to the cashpoint to get money for night clubbing etc. Grrrrr

If there weren't so many people abusing the system then there might be more in the kitty for people who need it.

Sapphire2803
24-Feb-08, 23:03
I can't find it now but someone mentioned cctv catching motorists. I may be wrong, but I don't think they do. Some traffic lights have cameras on them, I think they're the only cameras that will be used to prove you ran a red light.

sam
24-Feb-08, 23:05

I dont think community service should be used a punishment, why should someone get say for example 40 hours community service for breaking the law, when most folk have to work 40 hours a week anyway just to pay their bills and live. It only serve's to make those who get it think work is a punishment, no wonder there are so many who dont want to work.[disgust]

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 23:10
I think a lot of people are under the impression that if you receive DLA, that you can't work (or are saying that you can't work)
For the record, you can work if you are able to, it doesn't mean you don't deserve to get help running a car etc.
I have met people over the years who had managed to get onto DLA when they had nothing wrong with them. It seems like the next step when the dole office start getting shirty with you for not finding work. They are the ones you see jumping out of a 4x4 on double yellow lines at a corner and skipping to the cashpoint to get money for night clubbing etc. Grrrrr

I've never noticed a cash point in Mcarthur street ;)

router
24-Feb-08, 23:21
pity they couldn't invent a camera to catch all the booze guzzling drivers:lol:

Jeid
24-Feb-08, 23:27
As it turns out, this is true. They couldn't make the culprits out on the CCTV.

Kevin Milkins
24-Feb-08, 23:35
Whats DLA
And who do you have to see to sighn up for it.

I am not sure what it has to do with CCTV ,but I feel I may have thrown a cat amongst the pigions.

I am waiting for Jeramy Beadle to jump out.

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 23:42
Whats DLA

I am not sure what it has to do with CCTV ,but I feel I may have thrown a cat amongst the pigions.

I am waiting for Jeramy Beadle to jump out.

Now that would be scary, seeing as the poor man died a few weeks back.

Kevin Milkins
24-Feb-08, 23:47
Yes he did indead.SORRY
I still dont know what DLA is though.
I know what the DVLA is but I guess its got nothing to do with them.
Unless of course ,now that all the computers are linked up ,the DVLA are confiscating cars that are not taxed and giving them to the unemployed as an incentive to look for work.:lol:

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 23:55
Yes he did indead.SORRY
I still dont know what DLA is though.
I know what the DVLA is but I guess its got nothing to do with them.
Unless of course ,now that all the computers are linked up ,the DVLA are confiscating cars that are not taxed and giving them to the unemployed as an incentive to look for work.:lol:

Disability Living Allowance

router
25-Feb-08, 00:07
I've never noticed a cash point in Mcarthur street ;)

you know why that is dont you.it is hidden behind all the cars that park up there.........................[lol]

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 00:13
you know why that is dont you.it is hidden behind all the cars that park up there.........................[lol]

Got me there Touche ;)

TBH
25-Feb-08, 03:32
Whats DLA

I am waiting for Jeramy Beadle to jump out.Jeremy Beadle? You will have a long wait.

Metalattakk
25-Feb-08, 04:19
Eh, the CCTV in Thurso isn't the Police's responsibility, it's not owned by Northern Constabulary, it wasn't provided by Northern Constabulary and it's not under the control of Northern Constabulary.

It's true that it is sited in Thurso Police Station (i.e., the screens are sited there) but, it is operated by outside sources.

The suggestion that convicted criminals be employed as part of their Community Service to clean the lenses is pure fantasy. They aren't allowed to go near the cameras, as they are not part of the system that owns and (supposedly) maintains them.

Basically, it's not their trolley.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 11:06

Funny that....don't hear them targeting the druggies or underage drinking neds that roam the town of an evening making a damn pest of themselves.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 11:29
If there weren't so many people abusing the system then there might be more in the kitty for people who need it.

Agree with you 110% there.

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 11:31
Funny that....don't hear them targeting the druggies or underage drinking neds that roam the town of an evening making a damn pest of themselves.

I agree that the police would use car owners as easy targets because most are law abiding and when caught unwittingly speeding or parked illegely they put there hands up and say (ok guv its a fair cop) However the Theif Druggie Or hardend scoundrell will say ( It wasnt me guv wasnt there didnt do it proove it ) I suppose a bobby has a time sheet to fill in at the end of his shift and needs to make it look as if he has been doing a bit ,so which direction is he going lean?

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 13:05

"Wick Heroin Dealer Sentenced To Five Years
NORTHERN Constabulary today welcomed the sentence handed out to an individual who was involved in the supply of heroin in the Caithness area of the Highlands. Today at Wick Sheriff Court, ? was sentenced to five years in prison for his part in the supply of illegal drugs through an organised network. This is viewed as a major success for the Caithness and Sutherland Command Area's "Operation Joker" which was set up to deal with the supply and misuse of heroin in the Caithness and Sutherland Area.
Detective Sergeant Steve MacDonald, based at Wick said: "It is a strategic priority in Caithness and Sutherland to target those involved in the supply and distribution of controlled drugs. "Our Pro-active approach to dealing with drug suppliers like ? has been achieved with significant assistance from members of the community who have demonstrated that they will not tolerate or be intimidated by those intent on profiting from the many young lives affected by heroin abuse." He added "It is evident from Operation Joker's outcome and other recent seizures in the Northern Constabulary area, the successes we can have when intelligence led policing is utilised."
Police would urge anyone with information about drug dealing or other drug related matters to contact their nearest police station or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

dook
25-Feb-08, 13:20
I wonder if the lenses are really dirty. If they can catch motorists offending, they are generally a softer option for the police, therefor no hesitation in charging them. The dirty lens excuse methinks is just an excuse for no action to be taken. But if it is true and our boys in blue are responsible, they should employ somebody to clean them or else stop wasting tax payers money. I wonder how often they clean the speed cameras? There never seems to be a problem reading a number through that particular lens.

The speed cameras aren't owned by the Police as the CCTV cameras aren't. All down to partnerships requested by the communtiy/councils/people in dark rooms. The money generated by the fines don't go toward the Police Christmas party either. Why not moan about the Roads dept, planning dept, service points or even life guards? They are also Highland Council employees that have as much to do wth the cameras as the "boys in blue".

And incidentally. The thread originated from Cardosis getting broken into. Has anyone asked Mr Cardosi if the criminals were caught?

I'll not hesitate to stick up for the Police in this area. They work hard for little thanks and continually face the brunt of criticism by the misinformed and naive. I think people seem to forget that most do the job purely to keep the community safe. Try living in Manchester for a while. It opened my eyes.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 13:43
"Wick Heroin Dealer Sentenced To Five Years
NORTHERN Constabulary today welcomed the sentence handed out to an individual who was involved in the supply of heroin in the Caithness area of the Highlands. Today at Wick Sheriff Court, ? was sentenced to five years in prison for his part in the supply of illegal drugs through an organised network. This is viewed as a major success for the Caithness and Sutherland Command Area's "Operation Joker" which was set up to deal with the supply and misuse of heroin in the Caithness and Sutherland Area.
Detective Sergeant Steve MacDonald, based at Wick said: "It is a strategic priority in Caithness and Sutherland to target those involved in the supply and distribution of controlled drugs. "Our Pro-active approach to dealing with drug suppliers like ? has been achieved with significant assistance from members of the community who have demonstrated that they will not tolerate or be intimidated by those intent on profiting from the many young lives affected by heroin abuse." He added "It is evident from Operation Joker's outcome and other recent seizures in the Northern Constabulary area, the successes we can have when intelligence led policing is utilised."
Police would urge anyone with information about drug dealing or other drug related matters to contact their nearest police station or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

That's great....one of the little fishes in the hugh ocean taken care of for 5 years (lets hope it is 5 years). Mind you at a cost of approx £165,000 to the tax payer for the 5 years at HM pleasure...maybe they can't afford to catch them all !!!!

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 14:52
OK PP, to put it another way, what do you think is necessary to curb drugs/alcohol misuse that isn't being done already? Bear in mind that much information is not in the public domain, e.g. ongoing drugs operations, surveillance of known suppliers, collaberation with customs and excise....

If someone reports a disturbance either at local night spots or in a neighbourhood, I'm sure the police always respond.

To have officers outside every public house, nightclub, trouble spots in the high street etc., patrolling all of the housing estates where there may be parties getting out of hand, people falling out with each other, physical attacks taking place, places getting windows broken, cars being vandalised, drunk drivers out on roads in the back of beyond, theft from farms and outlying places etc., is expecting a bit too much for the number of personnel on duty at any one time.

Same goes for ambulance crews who are often endeavouring to persuade some drunk to get in the vehicle for their own good while keeping an eye on a threatening crowd, trying to treat someone in a house full of drunks vying for attention or dealing with someone who is having a heart attack or some other real emergency...

There is a lot of "little fish".

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 16:09
OK PP, to put it another way, what do you think is necessary to curb drugs/alcohol misuse that isn't being done already? Bear in mind that much information is not in the public domain, e.g. ongoing drugs operations, surveillance of known suppliers, collaberation with customs and excise....

If someone reports a disturbance either at local night spots or in a neighbourhood, I'm sure the police always respond.

To have officers outside every public house, nightclub, trouble spots in the high street etc., patrolling all of the housing estates where there may be parties getting out of hand, people falling out with each other, physical attacks taking place, places getting windows broken, cars being vandalised, drunk drivers out on roads in the back of beyond, theft from farms and outlying places etc., is expecting a bit too much for the number of personnel on duty at any one time.

Same goes for ambulance crews who are often endeavouring to persuade some drunk to get in the vehicle for their own good while keeping an eye on a threatening crowd, trying to treat someone in a house full of drunks vying for attention or dealing with someone who is having a heart attack or some other real emergency...

There is a lot of "little fish".

Who said anything about expecting police officers to be outside every house, pub, club, etc. etc. not me or anyone else on this thread.

You by any chance been a cop in a past life???

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 16:20

Must be my interpretation of your words PP; I didn't say that anyone, yourself included, expected the police to be outside every pub, club etc.

I assumed (wrongly it seems) that you didn't think the police were dealing properly with crime; i.e. druggies, underage drinking neds; maybe you could explain what you did mean...please....:confused

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 16:32
Who said anything about expecting police officers to be outside every house, pub, club, etc. etc. not me or anyone else on this thread.

You by any chance been a cop in a past life???

I detect a note of passsion coming to the debate.
I have a good freind that has just retierd from the police force in Birmingham and we have lots of banter about a bobbys lot. He suggested that he joined up because he thought his input would make a difference and after many years just rowed the boat home quietly. It can be a diffucult job for sure,however they do get a good wage for it. As for wanting to try and live in Manchester ,I would suggest its much harder being a bobby in Manchester.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 16:39
Must be my interpretation of your words PP; I didn't say that anyone, yourself included, expected the police to be outside every pub, club etc.

I assumed (wrongly it seems) that you didn't think the police were dealing properly with crime; i.e. druggies, underage drinking neds; maybe you could explain what you did mean...please....:confused

Very simple indeed....my bone of contention is that if as much effort was put into apprehending the real crimes as in (to name a few but not restricted to) ....the drug dealers, vandals, under aged drunk, violent, aggresive neds, etc..... other than the easy target motorist caught for not wearing a seat belt, the motorist being zapped by the speed camera at 64 in a 60 limit, etc. .....(who IMO are not the real criminals in this daft world we live in).

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 16:43
[quote=Torvaig;346122]
To have officers outside every public house, nightclub, trouble spots in the high street etc., patrolling all of the housing estates where there may be parties getting out of hand, people falling out with each other, physical attacks taking place, places getting windows broken, cars being vandalised, drunk drivers out on roads in the back of beyond, theft from farms and outlying places etc., is expecting a bit too much for the number of personnel on duty at any one time. quote]

I think it is true to say that no one would expect this.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 16:45
I detect a note of passsion coming to the debate.
I have a good freind that has just retierd from the police force in Birmingham and we have lots of banter about a bobbys lot. He suggested that he joined up because he thought his input would make a difference and after many years just rowed the boat home quietly. It can be a diffucult job for sure,however they do get a good wage for it. As for wanting to try and live in Manchester ,I would suggest its much harder being a bobby in Manchester.

Passion.....gee whizzzzzzz[lol]

What you think about that Torvaig!!!!![lol]

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 16:48
Very simple indeed....my bone of contention is that if as much effort was put into apprehending the real crimes as in (to name a few but not restricted to) ....the drug dealers, vandals, under aged drunk, violent, aggresive neds, etc..... other than the easy target motorist caught for not wearing a seat belt, the motorist being zapped by the speed camera at 64 in a 60 limit, etc. .....(who IMO are not the real criminals in this daft world we live in).

You've listed crimes, none of them are less REAL than any other. Less serious I suppose in some cases, but still all crimes. Would you suggest that the police should start deciding which crimes they want to act on? I think you'll find that may shorten the average pc's career somewhat.

64 in a 60, that'll add to your stopping distance for a start, could make the difference between you stopping in time or smashing into and killing a cute 5 year old girl with pigtails.
At which point said person doing 64mph would go, in your mind from being a poor defenceless non-criminal motorist, to being a reckless murderer, screaming round the countryside looking for their next innocent victim!

There are laws, if we abide by them we are in no danger of getting nicked.
Problem solved.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 17:05
You've listed crimes, none of them are less REAL than any other. Less serious I suppose in some cases, but still all crimes. Would you suggest that the police should start deciding which crimes they want to act on? I think you'll find that may shorten the average pc's career somewhat.

64 in a 60, that'll add to your stopping distance for a start, could make the difference between you stopping in time or smashing into and killing a cute 5 year old girl with pigtails.
At which point said person doing 64mph would go, in your mind from being a poor defenceless non-criminal motorist, to being a reckless murderer, screaming round the countryside looking for their next innocent victim!

There are laws, if we abide by them we are in no danger of getting nicked.
Problem solved.

I don't care much for your tone....you seem to be referring that I am the speeding motorist......:(

Keep up, no one said any of the crimes were "less real" than others, but I would prefer that the police were out trying to catch (as I have said before IMO...and yes I am entitled to an opinion....druggies, etc. If my daughter was walking home at night on her own I'd rather she came face to face with the speeding motorist that the drugged up druggie.. that's my opinion...and I'm sure the opinion of others.

Stop twisting words...no one said anything about the police deciding which crimes they should act on....come off your high horse. lol

Tc4
25-Feb-08, 17:49
Has there been many people prosecuted with the evidence from the cctv cameras locally?

I know of one definate assult that the victim wanted to press charges but was told we need a witness this happened 30 feet from a cctv camera in wick, when he said witness's were not coming forward and what about the camera he was fobbed off saying no sorry we need a witness. would they not have video evidence.

If people think the cameras as are not going to be used as evidence they will not be much of a deterant.

I havent actually noticed the cameras doing much good but i may be wrong and if i am i apologise.

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 17:58
Has there been many people prosecuted with the evidence from the cctv cameras locally?

I know of one definate assult that the victim wanted to press charges but was told we need a witness this happened 30 feet from a cctv camera in wick, when he said witness's were not coming forward and what about the camera he was fobbed off saying no sorry we need a witness. would they not have video evidence.

If people think the cameras as are not going to be used as evidence they will not be much of a deterant.

I havent actually noticed the cameras doing much good but i may be wrong and if i am i apologise.

They catch you staggering over the bridge on your way home m8 :Razz

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 18:16

And my bone of contention is that, although many members of the public think that all the police do is chase car criminals, they are in fact attending to many more crimes (and potential crimes) than the man (or woman) in the street know about.

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 18:20
Passion.....gee whizzzzzzz

What you think about that Torvaig!!!!![lol]

I hope he means the strong emotional kind rather that the strong s..... kind or else we are going to start rumours abound;)

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 18:20
I hope he means the strong emotional kind rather that the strong s..... kind or else we are going to start rumours abound
[lol][lol]

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 18:23
And my bone of contention is that, although many members of the public think that all the police do is chase car criminals, they are in fact attending to many more crimes (and potential crimes) than the man (or woman) in the street know about.

Aye, they must be or the prisons wouldn't all be fill:lol:

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 18:25
I don't care much for your tone....you seem to be referring that I am the speeding motorist......:(

Keep up, no one said any of the crimes were "less real" than others, but I would prefer that the police were out trying to catch (as I have said before IMO...and yes I am entitled to an opinion....druggies, etc. If my daughter was walking home at night on her own I'd rather she came face to face with the speeding motorist that the drugged up druggie.. that's my opinion...and I'm sure the opinion of others.

Stop twisting words...no one said anything about the police deciding which crimes they should act on....come off your high horse. lol
No tone intended, very difficult with typed word. You did use the phrase "real criminals" though. I don't see how else to interpret that, anyone who breaks a real law will take up police time. If the speeding motorist slowed down and the everybody wore their seatbelt, then the police would be able to concentrate their manpower on the drug dealers etc.

By the way, if someone's hypothetical daughter came into contact with a "drugged up druggie" chances are nothing would happen, you usually need to worry more about the non "drugged up druggie" who is desperate for money, even then you'd stand a fair chance of just getting knocked about a bit. You get hit by a car doing 64mph it's lights out

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 18:38
By the way, if someone's hypothetical daughter came into contact with a "drugged up druggie" chances are nothing would happen, you usually need to worry more about the non "drugged up druggie" who is desperate for money, even then you'd stand a fair chance of just getting knocked about a bit. You get hit by a car doing 64mph it's lights out

I'm no expert, but I would have thought that a person high on drugs would tend not to be as rational as one without drugs....ie one on drugs more liable to pull a knife on you??? I'll go for meeting the big bad motorist rather than the druggie any day...

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 18:41

I think actual witnesses are preferable; not sure of the rules covering the cameras. There has been a lot of problems regarding their legality sometimes as they have to comply with the Information Commissioner's code of practice. The real power of CCTV comes in seeing trouble brewing and being able to deploy manpower to defuse the situation; hopefully there will be enough available.....

scottygirl
26-Feb-08, 09:10
For information, it used to be the case that the Highland Council street lighting depatment men were the ones who gave the cameras a clean when they were out and about at night doing the rounds to check the lights were working round the town. Not sure if that is still the case. Not part of their job, but a request from the community council for them to do it.

scottygirl
26-Feb-08, 09:17
Oh, and I don't have much faith in the local police to be honest. The crash in Castletown last year when that poor lass was killed, the police had witnesses to the crash and the aftermath on the scene and told them to leave without taking their details or even their car registration then had to appeal publicly for witnesses. Not very efficient, especially under the terrible circumstances. If they can't get that right then what hope do we have!!!

Cattach
26-Feb-08, 13:04

Not true. Not camera that did identification!

Penelope Pitstop
26-Feb-08, 13:31
Not true. Not camera that did identification!

Sorry, what??

Blazing Sporrans
28-Feb-08, 11:59
Caithness Courier, Weds 27/02/08:

Page 9 - NEWSBRIEF
"Two men have been charged by Police in connection with a break-in at Cardosi's DVD and video shop in Princes Street, Thurso. A Police spokesman said that the men had been charged with theft by housebreaking and reported to the procurator fiscal depute at Wick"

So once more, ill-informed speculation and gossip become 'fact' on the Org....

Would veekay like their humble pie with a fork or a spoon? [lol][lol]

hobbes1962
29-Feb-08, 22:26
Would veekay like their humble pie with a fork or a spoon? [lol]

Will we allow cream with that?:lol:

TBH
29-Feb-08, 22:36
Caithness Courier, Weds 27/02/08:

Page 9 - NEWSBRIEF
"Two men have been charged by Police in connection with a break-in at Cardosi's DVD and video shop in Princes Street, Thurso. A Police spokesman said that the men had been charged with theft by housebreaking and reported to the procurator fiscal depute at Wick"

So once more, ill-informed speculation and gossip become 'fact' on the Org....

Would veekay like their humble pie with a fork or a spoon? [lol][lol]Veekay said,
Heard a story yesterday and if it is true then Northern need shooting. Apparently Cardosi's confectioners Thurso was broken into. Across the road some ten yards away there is a CCTV camera, so the culprits were caught on film doing the deed. No the camera is dirty so they can't see the pictures clearly. Now I don't know if it is true but if so what use are the cameras to anyone. I hate the things anyway , '1984' arrived a litle bit late.He/She didn't imply that no-one would be arrested and charged and I dont see anything in your courier extract that says that they were arrested and charged through cctv evidence.

Blazing Sporrans
01-Mar-08, 20:30
Veekay said, He/She didn't imply that no-one would be arrested and charged and I dont see anything in your courier extract that says that they were arrested and charged through cctv evidence.
You're quite right... So, having read your post, I asked one of the police officers in the town centre. His quote to me was that CCTV was "instrumental" in the detection of the crime. My question now would be, is there an agenda behind someone attempting to undermine the law-abiding public's faith or belief in what appears to be a valuable deterrent against crime, and if not, why circulate some alleged third-party gossip on this forum as if it were absolute fact?

TBH
01-Mar-08, 20:35
You're quite right... So, having read your post, I asked one of the police officers in the town centre. His quote to me was that CCTV was "instrumental" in the detection of the crime. My question now would be, is there an agenda behind someone attempting to undermine the law-abiding public's faith or belief in what appears to be a valuable deterrent against crime, and if not, why circulate some alleged third-party gossip on this forum as if it were absolute fact?Maybe they went the wrong way about it but the subject matter was valid enough. Are CCTV cameras cutting the percentage of crime in this country. If someone is concealing their identity then no camera could discern who they were.