PDA

View Full Version : Ashes To Ashes

bobbyrussell09
22-Feb-08, 16:53
is anyone watching this great tv show on bbc 1

footie chick
22-Feb-08, 16:58
Watched the first two episodes prefered Life on Mars slowly getting into this though missed it last night had more important things to watch on channel 5 ;)

percy toboggan
22-Feb-08, 17:36
I gave the first one ten minutes...then figured I didn't have room for anymore of this in my life.

Life on Mars? I wanted to like it but found it badly scripted. It became a parody of what it was meant to be I think...a throwback to non p.c. cop shows in the seventies. Why can't we just have a proper one?...where are the brave tellycrats? Obviously it's what the public want.

It was a great idea that lost its way in my opinion. Also the critical acclaim it received was way over the top - and a sign of t.v.'s current dearth of quality programming.

John Sim was the best thing about L o M ...I'm not keen on the Gene Hunt character...way ott.....lovely motor though...I like Audi's and definitely an improvement on a mark three Cortina !

Telly is a broad enough church with all the choice now available...I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, it's just not for me.

orkneylass
22-Feb-08, 18:10
It is entertaining enough but Keely Hawes is absolutly terrible - the worst "ham" actress I have seen for a while, nothing but pouting and posturing.

percy toboggan
22-Feb-08, 18:15
It is entertaining enough but Keely Hawes is absolutly terrible - the worst "ham" actress I have seen for a while, nothing but pouting and posturing.

She was rather good in 'Tipping the Velvet'
Perhaps she peaked early.

cuddlepop
22-Feb-08, 18:35
I have found this disappointing:(
So looking forward to it starting as i loved Life on Mars but Ashes to Ashes tries to hard.

bobbyrussell09
22-Feb-08, 18:44
i think its really good ,i love the character gene hunt.the lines he comes out with are funny.ps percy i think ur on the wrong thing,with a post like that .a job as a critic in the daily record would suit u.there reviews are always wrong

percy toboggan
22-Feb-08, 19:41
i think its really good ,i love the character gene hunt.the lines he comes out with are funny.ps percy i think ur on the wrong thing,with a post like that .a job as a critic in the daily record would suit u.there reviews are always wrong

You made me smile Bobby....'always wrong indeed' - good rep on way.

weestraw
22-Feb-08, 21:07
I would say that tho its not as good as LOM it is still one of the better drama/comedy/action shows on this year so far. If people dont compare it to LOM then it holds its own as a good show. However it doesnt have the same quality as LOM it is still really good.

Too many people are tooo quick to jump and compare Hawes to Simm although their characters are not meant to be directly related, in fact they are almost opposite in their experiences and roles.

Overall not as good as LOM but on its own merits still one of the best on the box.

obiron
22-Feb-08, 21:20
ashes to ashes is good. gene hunt totally rocks. so his character is ott makes for great viewing. life on mars was good and i really liked john simm but keeley hawes aint as good.
compulsive viewing for this orger.

ANNIE
22-Feb-08, 22:44
I totally agree gene hunt is brilliant and makes me laugh out loud nearly everytime he opens his mouth. I don't care that its not as good as Life on mars it was never going to be. Just great light entertainment that gives me a right laugh more than can say for some o the rubbish thats supposed to be comedy. Other than my family now that makes me laugh out loud too:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Feb-08, 00:36
Loved 'Life in Mars',best programme in a good few years.Have missed 'Ashes to Ashes',due to work.But I'm on holiday and had a wee peek.One episode,BRILLIANT,shame i'm gonnae miss the rest of the series.GENE HUNT ROCKS!!!!!!........oh yeah!!!:D

Solus
23-Feb-08, 11:26
got to agree Hunt is the master of one liners and put downs :lol: Ashes to Ashes is good, yes not as near as good as Life on Mars and at first could not get into it, but its grown on me.

Any one got the urge yet to go out and buy a quattro ? i have :D

orkneylass
23-Feb-08, 11:37
She was rather good in 'Tipping the Velvet'
Perhaps she peaked early.

Agreed so I am not sure what has gone wrong here - it could be the way she is being directed. I notice nobody on this thread has offered praise for her performance and beside Gene Hunt she needed to be really convincing and sassy for the programme to be a total success.

thebigman
23-Feb-08, 11:38
Missed Life on Mars and I have to say I'm dissappoint in Ashes to Ashes, was expecting much more.

Suspect the script writers have more to do with the one liners than Gene Hunt :-) Good actor though.

Solus
23-Feb-08, 11:44
she needed to be really convincing and sassy for the programme to be a total success.

Oh she is sassy enough for me :roll: seeing her in that 80's kit corrrrrrrrrrrrr ! brings back memories ;)

catnip
23-Feb-08, 15:12
I love it and the 80s music is just brilliant.

Valerie Campbell
23-Feb-08, 15:56
I love it and the 80s music is just brilliant.

Totally agree with you. The script is fantastic too. I wasn't too sure about it at first though, as I thoroughly enjoyed Life on Mars and thought this couldn't be nearly so good. Should have known better with Gene Hunt on the force!!

scorrie
23-Feb-08, 21:04
The new series lacks the drama of Life on Mars. There is no mystery about why Drake is where she is, or what will return her to her real life. It pretty much plays out as a comedy, rather than a drama and almost treads into parody territory. It has its moments though and I will keep watching it as a bit of light entertainment. The character Gene Hunt carries the show, it would be hard to imagine it being the same without such a gloriously over-the-top creation.