PDA

View Full Version : Your confidential information....

DeHaviLand
22-Feb-08, 15:28
..... may have turned up. Somewhere:(.

Despite Government assurances that the lost disks were only misplaced, and hadn't fallen into the wrong hands, that now looks very unlikely.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pocketli/20080222/ttc-victims-of-hmrc-data-scandal-being-t-57dbc65_1.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pocketli/20080222/ttc-victims-of-hmrc-data-scandal-being-t-57dbc65_1.html)

Rie
22-Feb-08, 15:39
[evil]Oh great, so know as well as watching my bank account like a hawk i have to be aware of fraudulent emails after my details.
Gosh, i have so much faith in our goverment.....not!
nice of them to personally warn us about this!! just like they were so quick to inform all those like myself whos details went missing and the pitiful appology that went along with it.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!

northener
22-Feb-08, 15:53
Whilst we're on the subject. I've had a phishing email from 'Ebay Paypal'. Given the amount of people that use Ebay, there's a very real chance of them suckering some poor sap (sounding like a Chicago Hood now).

Be aware.

Rie
22-Feb-08, 16:02
E bay have been having problems since christmas with paypal, people paying for stuff and the sellers not recieving funds or notification of sales!! just be careful

dook
23-Feb-08, 14:13
I received a lovely letter from the MOD informing me that my details were included in the number stored in the lap top that was nicked from a car. I hadn't even realised I'd enlisted. Crikey I've been AWOL for 30 years!!

gillian17
23-Feb-08, 14:34
A secret is only a secret providing only two people know it and one of them is dead.
I cannot remember who I am quoting but nothing is confidential or secret if any government or quasi-government organisation has access to it. that is before anyone including couriers, traffic wardens, hackers, MFI or the FBU can access it.
MPs are being urged to divulge more and more of their malfeasance, which they wont do, Michael Martin would and should have been hanged for his treachery in times past, but they will willingly allow any government/council employee to access your name, address, car reg, mobile number and for a small sum tap your 'phone, email, Post Office mail, bank account, credit details.
And thats in Britain, how many thieves in Europe has access to confidential information.
That is just members of the inappropriately named European Union.

Dr Evil
23-Feb-08, 14:39
i too got told my details were on the mod laptop then i got the letter shortly after with an "apology"

shame really that negelgance of duty for me can lead to dismissal even dismissal vis prison but yet when that laptop goes missing a letter of apology is classed as fine!!!!

balto
23-Feb-08, 14:41
if these people are determained to get your information they will get it, my sister just had her clubby and credit card accounts hijacked and they ran up thousand of pounds on them last count i think it was about 4500 thankfully the clubby people let her know what was happening as this wasnt her normal spending habits but she got a nasty surprise when her credit card statemnet came in as she only had about 350 on it but it was over the limit, the goverment really need to be more carefull with peoples private informantion because unto they are there will be lots more people like my sister.:mad::mad:

gillian17
23-Feb-08, 15:15
I agree with most of what you are saying but, (there is always a but is there not), governments cannot keep information. It is against anything they were elected for. "Hi, I am a government minister, I will show you how important I am. What would you like to know?" or "I am a civil servant. What? You do not believe how powerful I am, my minister tells me everything."
Read any Sunday paper tomorrow. Information is power and power is an aphrodisiac.

Valerie Campbell
23-Feb-08, 16:02
I'd like to know where our details are. And what are the government doing about it? Anything? Nothing? Is it just a case of it being one of those things? To me it's not. To me it's important. Maye we should bombard them with letters asking 'Have you found our missing information yet?' Not that it would do any good of course...