PDA

View Full Version : photo into chart

pirateeye
22-Feb-08, 14:25
does anyone know if and where i can get a photograph converted into a cross stitch chart and how much it would be?

justine
22-Feb-08, 14:29
There is a site i found a few months back that does this, as my daughter loves cross stitching..I cant remeber it but i will go and have a look around my history and see if i can find the link..I will pm it to you as soon as i find it.Cant be more help at the mo...

laguna2
22-Feb-08, 14:51
I would appreciate the site address too Justine.

Shabbychic
22-Feb-08, 14:58
Here is a link for a site that does it instantly for a small fee. Pictures with less than a 1000 stitches are free. Hope this helps.

PictureCraftwork (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.picturecraftwork.com/en/)

NickInTheNorth
22-Feb-08, 15:00
I have to say that I have never yet found any software or website that can make a sensible rendering of a photograph into a good cross stitch chart.

They all tend to make a real hash of anything which is not a reasonably solid colour. The contrast between the large blocks of colour represented by a single cross stitch are not very easy to create when using an image with almost infinite gradations of colour. (Even when the conversion programme resorts to half and quater cross stitch I find the results very disappointing.

DeHaviLand
22-Feb-08, 15:08
There is a site i found a few months back that does this, as my daughter loves cross stitching..I cant remeber it but i will go and have a look around my history and see if i can find the link..I will pm it to you as soon as i find it.Cant be more help at the mo...

You have your history pages going back a few months?:eek: Jeez, the police will have an easy time if they ever have to seize your computer;)

pirateeye
22-Feb-08, 15:08
thank you for all the replies. i too understand how a lot of pictures stitched converted into chart from photo are disappointing but i have also seen some very cleverly done ones that couldn't be closer to the realt hing, both big and small blocks of colour. i'd like to try this though.
thanks you for the link and appreciate your searching justine

NickInTheNorth
22-Feb-08, 15:14
thank you for all the replies. i too understand how a lot of pictures stitched converted into chart from photo are disappointing but i have also seen some very cleverly done ones that couldn't be closer to the realt hing, both big and small blocks of colour. i'd like to try this though.
thanks you for the link and appreciate your searching justine

I have seen lots of very realistic looking cross stitch pictures, for example almost anything by Rose Swalwell. But there is an enormous amount of hours of work goes into that sort of chart. It is produced by an artist, not a computer :D

Still I hope you get a result that satisfies you.

lynne duncan
22-Feb-08, 17:47
hiya thinks sonyaA on here does crossstitch pm her and check

SonyaA
22-Feb-08, 19:47
Hi Pirateeye, I've sent you a PM. My name is Sonya Adamson and I run Caithness Cross Stitch and offer photo conversion into either kit or chart.
'Nickinthenorth' I understand what you mean by the computer generated charts to an extent. I have been doing designs since 2001 using computer software and find that the secret is in the editing. I spend a lot of time working on the finished product and get my customers approval first before actually making the kit for them. I also offer good customer service in which I do what I can to help if its needed.
I began the business because I too was disappointed with the results that some of my rivals dished out from their computers and found that some were full of single stitches etc. Most of my customers come back for more kits or photo conversions too!:)
My work can be found here- www.caithness-cross-stitch.co.uk (http://www.caithness-cross-stitch.co.uk) or a catalogue is available on request.

p.s. cheers Lynn!

Cheers
Sonya

NickInTheNorth
22-Feb-08, 20:10
And credit where it is due Sonya. They are very good re-workings of photographs, but clearly as you say a lot of very good editing of the computer renditions.

That was my only point, that there is no software that achieves that level of finish, despite the claims madeby several software packages :D

SonyaA
22-Feb-08, 20:17
How true nickinthenorth, if only!!! The editing can take very long time especially if there's a lot of items in the photographs. I also try to minimise the amount of different colours too as this can also be a nightmare, one of my rivals converted a cat for me in the past and had a whopping 184 colours in it!! Strange thing is- the cat was black and white :lol:

unicorn
23-Feb-08, 00:17
Well I can vouch for sonyas kits as I am doing one and they are stunning, still not finished the Caithness one sonya, I do it in drips and drops :lol:

SonyaA
23-Feb-08, 00:35
Hi unicorn, thank you so much for the compliment :D If I mind right it was the 'Sunset At Wick' kit that you got or have I finally lost my memory[lol] Whichever kit that you have let me know how you're getting on with it and of course, any problems please just let me know.

unicorn
23-Feb-08, 00:45
it is the sunset in wick, no problems at all but it definately is a do a bit at a time one, gonna be fantastic when it's done. It has been to Turkey twice with me now :lol:

SonyaA
23-Feb-08, 18:08
Unicorn its better travelled than I am [lol] It is a nice one to do though!

Nickinthenorth- also forgot to mention that the software I use is the 'professional' type which cost hundreds of pounds rather than £20 or £30 and to be honest even though it cost more than the 'off the shelf' type that can be found in most large stores it still had to be set up right. [disgust]

Sonya

www.caithness-cross-stitch.co.uk (http://www.caithness-cross-stitch.co.uk)