PDA

View Full Version : emmerdale

mr do dar
22-Feb-08, 07:16
does any one think that emmerdale was a little harsh last night considering it was befor the water shed i was a little taken back :eek:

johnlc
22-Feb-08, 08:13
sort of but then it was a great story line it had me in tears.
:~(

candyfloss
22-Feb-08, 10:18
does any one think that emmerdale was a little harsh last night considering it was befor the water shed i was a little taken back :eek:
It was a wee bit, it was a very sad story line :(

BRIE
22-Feb-08, 10:25
I sat in tears all the way through! It has to be my worst nightmare my son is 2 next month & I still have his breathing monitor on!!(yes im paranoid!)
My eldest child was quite shocked at the scenes so maybe it was a bit much before the watershed.

northener
22-Feb-08, 10:41
Harsh?

Not really, we see horrendous real tragedies played out every night on the early evening news. I haven't noticed anyone saying they were upset by this timeslot for the news.

Yet a bit of light 'drama' played shortly after the news seems to upset us.
Well acted and intelligently written scenes may prompt emotion, but it is an irrelevance really, merely played out for our entertainment.

I would question my own view of light drama and how it relates to the real world, not whether it was on too early. After all, we are not talking about a fictitious rape or murder being portrayed at this time.

Flair
22-Feb-08, 11:11
Harsh?

Not really, we see horrendous real tragedies played out every night on the early evening news. I haven't noticed anyone saying they were upset by this timeslot for the news.

Yet a bit of light 'drama' played shortly after the news seems to upset us.
Well acted and intelligently written scenes may prompt emotion, but it is an irrelevance really, merely played out for our entertainment.

I would question my own view of light drama and how it relates to the real world, not whether it was on too early. After all, we are not talking about a fictitious rape or murder being portrayed at this time.

Guess some people are just a soft touch.

young_fishin_neep
22-Feb-08, 12:31
well i missed last night show as i spent alld ay sleeping as im not feeling to well, the actors who play loral and ashley are on this morning today so im hopeing ill get the idea of what went on, i guess ill have to wait till sunday for the omnibus to see it though :(

kazzii xxxx

Riffman
22-Feb-08, 13:38
Considering its all a load of completely unrealistic crap, its no wonder this country is going down the drain.....

Portray that as how 'normal' people live and TADA, that's how they will start to live.

Would be illegal if I had my way, along with Deal or no Deal.....[lol]

nanoo
22-Feb-08, 14:05
Considering its all a load of completely unrealistic crap, its no wonder this country is going down the drain.....

Portray that as how 'normal' people live and TADA, that's how they will start to live.

Would be illegal if I had my way, along with Deal or no Deal.....[lol]Sorry, but i disagree, don't we hear quite a lot, about babies dying in their sleep and don't they call it a cot death? I personally think the episode was very tastefully done and the actors surpassed themselves doing it. These subjects are all thoroughly investigated and experts consulted long before filming. Corrie and Emmerdale both approach otherwise taboo subjects and bring them into their storylines because, that's the whole point, IT IS REAL LIFE. Who are we to say how someone will react to such a thing happening to them, unless we are tested ourselves. God forbid. So i say well done Emmerdale, you handled it well.

justine
22-Feb-08, 14:24
Well said nanoo...
Riffman howon earth you can say it is idealistic crap gets me.We have heard of somany mparents losing there children to SIDS...I never watch emerdale but i happened to be in a friends house when it was on and my heart felt as though it had been torn out.Being a mother of 9 healthy kids and having a baby the same age as the one that passed over, i could not imagine what it would be like for any parent to go through that....I came home and looked at my baby and felt so relieved. It makes me think about this even more, as parents we think ok healthy baby, then suddenly its gone...

I imagine it is like having your heart, soul and spirit ripped right out of you in one swoop...

northener
22-Feb-08, 14:36
Sorry, but i disagree, don't we hear quite a lot, about babies dying in their sleep and don't they call it a cot death? I personally think the episode was very tastefully done and the actors surpassed themselves doing it. These subjects are all thoroughly investigated and experts consulted long before filming. Corrie and Emmerdale both approach otherwise taboo subjects and bring them into their storylines because, that's the whole point, IT IS REAL LIFE. Who are we to say how someone will react to such a thing happening to them, unless we are tested ourselves. God forbid. So i say well done Emmerdale, you handled it well.

But surely then, Nanoo, this implies that they are not light entertainment but 'morality' plays that are created to instruct or inform us how to live our lives or cope with certain situations?

I think I'd be right in saying that this is not the intention or the remit of light entertainment.

There is a current fashion for dressing up soaps with 'moral responsibility' - e.g. the add-on at the end of a programme that tells us that "If we have been affected by the issues..."

Cloying bunkum. The idea that somehow the television channels entertainment producers see themselves as being socially responsible sticks in my throat. Cynical manipulation of the masses by adding on 'Care bear' messages etc doesn't cut the custard with me. It's more to do with mawkishness than anything....

Are they well acted? In the main, yes.
Are they well researched? I would bloody well hope so!

Any writer, be it for telly or novels had better be sure of their ground in this country if they want to succeed. The soap writers are no different to any other sector of fiction writing in this country.
Unfortunately we have to listen to the endless self-congratulory indulgements about soaps ad nauseum, about "how well we are doing things". If any other industry devoted as much time to looking up it's own backside, it would be hounded out of existance.

They are there to produce good entertainment - nothing else. Something which I believe they do very well in their sphere of operation.

It's drama, that's all. Although the people who make soaps would like you to think otherwise........

silverfox57
22-Feb-08, 14:46
But surely then, Nanoo, this implies that they are not light entertainment but 'morality' plays that are created to instruct or inform us how to live our lives or cope with certain situations?

I think I'd be right in saying that this is not the intention or the remit of light entertainment.

There is a current fashion for dressing up soaps with 'moral responsibility' - e.g. the add-on at the end of a programme that tells us that "If we have been affected by the issues..."

Cloying bunkum. The idea that somehow the television channels entertainment producers see themselves as being socially responsible sticks in my throat. Cynical manipulation of the masses by adding on 'Care bear' messages etc doesn't cut the custard with me. It's more to do with mawkishness than anything....

Are they well acted? In the main, yes.
Are they well researched? I would bloody well hope so!

Any writer, be it for telly or novels had better be sure of their ground in this country if they want to succeed. The soap writers are no different to any other sector of fiction writing in this country.
Unfortunately we have to listen to the endless self-congratulory indulgements about soaps ad nauseum, about "how well we are doing things". If any other industry devoted as much time to looking up it's own backside, it would be hounded out of existance.

They are there to produce good entertainment - nothing else. Something which I believe they do very well in their sphere of operation.

It's drama, that's all. Although the people who make soaps would like you to think otherwise........
very will put o mighty warrior :lol:

saxovtr
22-Feb-08, 15:09
hollyoaks FTW,emmerdale is rubbish

Riffman
22-Feb-08, 15:41
Well said nanoo...
Riffman howon earth you can say it is idealistic crap gets me.

I said unrealistic crap.

I never watched the episode so cannot comment on it. But it does not take a genious to realise what rubbish we are promoting.

If J logie baird saw TV now he would probably wish he had never invented the damn thing.

Ash
22-Feb-08, 15:43
i thought it was soo sad, but the show is realistic, these things do happen
the acting was amazing

balto
22-Feb-08, 15:58
I said unrealistic crap.

I never watched the episode so cannot comment on it. But it does not take a genious to realise what rubbish we are promoting.

If J logie baird saw TV now he would probably wish he had never invented the damn thing.
how on earth can you say that promoting cot death is rubbish, it unfortunatly a very serious matter that affects so many babies, my little boy has just turned 2 and i still panic. watching emmerdale last night was just heartbreaking and so very well acted, well done emmerdale for doing such a splendid job..

teddybear1873
22-Feb-08, 16:05
Bring back the days with Annie and Joe Sugden, Amos and Mr Wilks. The program is total keech and had its day years ago. I havent watched the program in years but i bet it was a long time ago you seen a coo calf on it.

nanoo
22-Feb-08, 16:12
I think i agree with you Riffman when you say,'If John Logie Baird saw tv now he would probably wish he had never invented the damn thing.' Did you ever see so much football on it as there is just now.:lol:

Poppy_88
22-Feb-08, 16:15
Slightly off the Emmerdale topic, but still on the soap/drama theme...

As a 20 year old female, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with the ridiculous soaps and dramas aimed at my age-group e.g. Hollyoaks, and worse, the drama 'Skins'

My flatmates watch these programmes religiously, and i inevitably catch glimes of the story-lines etc, what it appears to be doing is glamourizing sleeping around and getting out your tree on drugs/drink?

I'm not suggesting we dig out episodes of the Brady Bunch, but what sort of message do these programmes send out to teenagers? They may also be a realistic reflection on whats happening around us today...Which is very sad. I just don't think it gives young people much to aspire to.

porshiepoo
22-Feb-08, 17:37
Personally I think the whole thing was handled very tastefully and sensitively. We can't expect these things not to be shown in soaps just because it makes some people feel uncomfortable.
Someone suggested that it would be more appropriate after the watershed!!!!!!!!!! How's that????????? Unfortunately cot death is a real part of life and affects many many families, any attention drawn to this heartbreaking tragedy should be congratulated.

I imagine the actress that plays Laurel found the scenes extremely hard as she has a baby of around the same age. :(
I think it was also very good of Emmerdale to show how it affects other family members and the community in general.

percy toboggan
22-Feb-08, 17:50
The only 'soap opera' I follow is 'The Archers' ...the pictures are better on the wireless.

I used to enjoy Corra but gave up on it about six years ago...the others well I'm afraid , when I do catch perhaps a few minutes of them...they seem dull, even depressing...especially Eastenders..where everyone seems to shout at one another and be quite nasty. Is life like that? Not around here.

I'm sure they set a bad example to children. many of whom are sadly hooked on this tripe.

I did catch June Brown's recent monologue in EE and she carried it off quite well....they can set high standards when they want to it seems.

gillian17
22-Feb-08, 18:00
I read something in the last couple of weeks, and I think Bill Bryson wrote it, whom I trust to have done his research.
He was talking about language and I quote from memory here, language begins in children when the larynx moves downwards, exposing the throat to choking, that's at the same time as the majority of cot death/SIDS occur.
Apparently, no other animal can choke because the windpipe and throat are too separate.
I cannot quite envisage this but neither can I envisage a dog talking.
Any useful insights would be welcome.

quiteone
22-Feb-08, 22:01
i had read about it in the tv mag but didnt watch it as it would of upset me.....................i suppose they think its good to bring up such a delicate situation but for me i dont want to watch that on tv.