PDA

View Full Version : Bridge camera suggestions

t
21-Feb-08, 23:04
I am looking for a good bridge camera does not have to be current, just the SWMBO and my son cannot use the DSLR I have to looking for an alternative we can all use and not worry too much about damaging ie. for nights out or just popping out where I would not normally take my DSLR.

I was looking at the Sony DSC-F828 as is has a Carl Zeiss T* lens and good spec.

Anyone have any other suggestions

Deemac
22-Feb-08, 00:42
I am looking for a good bridge camera does not have to be current, just the SWMBO and my son cannot use the DSLR I have to looking for an alternative we can all use and not worry too much about damaging ie. for nights out or just popping out where I would not normally take my DSLR.

I was looking at the Sony DSC-F828 as is has a Carl Zeiss T* lens and good spec.

I'm unfamiliar with the trem "Bridge Camera" - what is this?

Also don't know what "SWMBO" means!!

English please . . . . ;)

embow
22-Feb-08, 07:56
SWMBO = She who must be obeyed. Known in simple English as the lady in one's life i.e. wife or partner.
A bridge camera is one which has the ability to use manual settings along with some pre-settings but will not have interchangeable lenses as SLRs do. It will have a built in zoom and is a step up from the simple point and shoot with all its pre-settings.

Tugmistress
22-Feb-08, 09:24
It's old hat now, but the bridge camera i started selling photography with is a Konica Minolta Z10
Have lent it to wifie to introduce her to the digital age, easy to use, robust, good quality and all the settings you require even goes down to ISO 50 :) was only 3.2mp though hence upgrading to DSLR when i got used to what did what.

Raven
22-Feb-08, 09:44

What makes you want to go for this one? To mee it looks quite chunky and is probably not much smaller than a 400d (which I find tiny for a dlsr). The only "advantage" is that your folks would not have to change lenses.
Can you not get SWMBO and your boy trained on your gear as you are surely familiar with it and could give them good instructions how to use it?
If your boy is small however this might pose a problem.
Our kids have their own little cams too, our old Canon S45 and a HP one (which is rubbish) but at the time to a 5 year old was ok to use.
Start them young is my motto[lol]

Let us know how you get on....

Deemac
22-Feb-08, 09:51
SWMBO = She who must be obeyed. Known in simple English as the lady in one's life i.e. wife or partner.
A bridge camera is one which has the ability to use manual settings along with some pre-settings but will not have interchangeable lenses as SLRs do. It will have a built in zoom and is a step up from the simple point and shoot with all its pre-settings.

Well I learn something new every day (LSNED!!);)

astroman
22-Feb-08, 10:32
How about a Canon Powershot A570IS? See here for detailed review of this camera and others: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A570IS/A570ISA.HTM.

If you want something cheaper the earlier models such as the A560 are selling for under £100.