PDA

View Full Version : smelly ear

Dadie
21-Feb-08, 21:17
ever so often Poppy my chocolate lab suffers from a middle ear infection and has to be taken to the vet for treatment (drops for the ear and cleaning solution) I think it has something to do with the itchy skin compaint she had when she came to us as the ear gets scaly before it gets smelly would changing her diet help?

She usually gets chudleys working dog mix and whatever Lauren drops around the highchair to eat.

cuddlepop
21-Feb-08, 22:12
Is that different from the ear complaint dogs can get from cats .
I think its called Kanga,its really smelly.:(

binbob
21-Feb-08, 23:09
hi..i can really rec. THORNIT ear powder..used it for over 20 years on my cockers.

it can be found if u simply type THORNIT in search.lots of places sell it.
it costs around £ 4.50 per bottle..lasts for a while.
many dogs have have had chronic ear problems sorted out with it.
please give it a go..full instructions come with it.
please do let me know the end result.

Fran
22-Feb-08, 02:42
My lab was the same, i think it is quite a common thing with them. My dog now is a labx and his ears get sore too, where they crease over, I think it is the type of ears they have.I clean his ears a lot with solution from the vet to stop them getting infected.

Dadie
22-Feb-08, 17:12
thank for all the advice on cures but I was hoping to prevent this problem reoccuring as it is such a preformance to treat if she sees the bottles of ear cleaning solution, cotton wool or the drops she hides and it takes two people to treat her, one to hold her down the other to administer the drops or clean out her ears while the littlest vet out Lauren tries to "help" by looking up all the other orifices a lab has!

labsrus
22-Feb-08, 22:52
Have had the same problem occur in my Labs and changing to a raw meaty bones diet cleared it up(along with many other benefits) Usually ear problems are caused by yeast which makes the ears have a really horrible chemical smell and a thick black discharge.

Carbohydrates feed yeast so eliminating them from the diet is the only way to get rid of the yeast. As dogs are carnivores they have no need for carbs and often they do more harm than good. A good place to find out about feeding a raw diet is www.rawmeatybones.com where you can read vet Tom Lonsdales 2 books on raw feeding, very interesting.

Its also great to hear someone saying they want to prevent a problem from occuring as opposed to getting a quick fix with drugs. The same drugs will not cure the problem, merely suppress it (IMHO).

jodyfos
26-Feb-08, 22:58
Hi
I have a Rottweiler cross Shepherd who always suffers from a fungal infection as his ear orifice inside is so small. I use Cerusolve deodorising ear cleaner to prevent infection, it contains menthol which has soothing properties for inflamation and Thymol which has natural antiseptic and anti fungal properties. It smells great and is cheap from 'Animal Medicines' website. My dog seems to like it too so it must feel soothing. He seems to suffer worse in the summer when fungal infections can be worse. I use this twice a week in summer and he is hardly affected in the winter I maybe use it once a week or fortnight. Good luck!