PDA

View Full Version : Secret imprisonment

j4bberw0ck
21-Feb-08, 15:32
This is well worth a read (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/camilla_cavendish/article3406214.ece). Rather chilling, really - in 2005 200 people were imprisoned in secret, after a secret trial, in which no evidence need be presented. It's illegal to name them, or publish any details at all about the cases. All those who think that in our wonderful Land of The Free, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to worry about, please take note.

golach
21-Feb-08, 16:00
I thought we had seen the last of the Conspiracy Therorists, obviously not [lol]

MadPict
21-Feb-08, 16:03
Seems old news - just look back to the Orkney fiasco a few years ago. Social Services seem to be a law unto themselves....

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 16:10
This is rather OTT!

karia
21-Feb-08, 16:13
This is rather OTT!

And the prize for understatement of the day goes to...!;)

MadPict
21-Feb-08, 16:15
Stick around rob16d - in the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive - you ain't seen nothing yet.......

j4bberw0ck
21-Feb-08, 16:21
This is rather OTT!

What is? The thread? The article linked to? :roll:

karia
21-Feb-08, 16:26
I assumed that he meant the actions perpetrated against the couple...hence my response.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 16:37
Karia is right! hehe! Sorry for the vagueness of my comment! Anyway, Karia, what's my prize? a trophy or cash?hehe

karia
21-Feb-08, 16:38
Karia is right! hehe! Sorry for the vagueness of my comment! Anyway, Karia, what's my prize? a trophy or cash?hehe

The unbridled joy of not being misunderstood will have to suffice!;)

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 16:41
The unbridled joy of not being misunderstood will have to suffice!;)

Awwwww! Och well at least it's now written (well....typed) in public that I've won a prize! Yay! Woop woop!

justine
21-Feb-08, 16:44
I cant see the reason for all this...What on earth gives them the right to hound this couple all because she did not end a volatile relationship..It sounds like she has got herself sorted with the help of a good man,,
It gets my goat up as there are many that dont deserve kids and are left alone, and then one who make the wrong chioces and cant jumped on.

.Bit like being on here...;)

northener
21-Feb-08, 17:01
I don't like generalisms BUT:

Some of the social workers I have had the misfortune to come across have been some of the most inept and arrogant people I have ever met. They seemed to be of the belief that they, and they alone, had all the answers and that their word was somehow incontravertable.

They came across as career jobsworths more interested in self-important paper-shuffling than people genuinely concerned with their role in the community.
The idea that they should be given the role of some sort of ersatz secret service to satisfy the very real problem of anonimity for a victim is completely abhorrent.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, I think that the majority of social workers do a difficult and demanding job that I personally would run a mile from. The problem is that it only takes a couple of jobsworths on a 'secret mission' trip to wreck a whole family.

I'm sure that there would be ways of protecting potential 'at risk' persons from public scrutiny whilst still satisfying the publics' basic right to know what our courts are up to.
A complete clamp-down is putting us on a heading for secret legal action being taken against anyone at any time.

The only exemptions should be for matters of National security.

justine
21-Feb-08, 17:09
well said.Social workers do get to a point where they do it for no other reason than they can..It does not help when people of authority, eg, police doctors listen to the social workers, take their sides and the family in question have no-one to stand up for them. orkney is a prime example of this...

I have met some good ones and arogant ones..It is lega,l i believe to question a decision by a social worker in court, but then it is hard for the family to persuade a judge to side with them and not the local authority....