PDA

View Full Version : computer help

dessie
21-Feb-08, 14:55
i have just got hold of another desk top hard drive .how do i go about changing from the one i,m using to this one. to try it out..on the net....please advise..thank you.all you computor buffs.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 15:02
It's difficult....unless the new hard drive already has windows etc already installed....it might be more a case of adding this one into your pc. So you can run your operating system off your current hard drive, then use the new hard drive for storage??

Mr_Me19
21-Feb-08, 17:34
If its a newer computer and a newer hard drive then its more or less a case of plugging the hard drive in, starting up the computer. Follow a few basic instructions on the screen, and your ready to go.

dessie
21-Feb-08, 18:43
thankyou wi8ll try it tomorrow..

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 19:50
How do you mean "To try it on the net"?

The hard drive is where the operating system (windows) lives :)

If you take out the old one and put the new one in, your computer will not work unless you have a windows disk to install it on the new drive.

Why do you need to change it? Is the old one knackered?
If you just need more space then put it in the next bay up or down from where your current one is and plug it in, make sure the jumpers are set to slave.

dessie
21-Feb-08, 21:01
sapphire you have lost me with that comp mumbo lol.what i have here is an old time hard drive.cant do anything with it it takes about 20 minutes from when i switch it on until i can use the net...i was given another hard drive with windows xp the same as what i., already using on my old one just wanted to know can i just unplug my old one and then plug the new one in or will io have to do anything else with it,,i,m just a dumbo with comps...lol

Riffman
21-Feb-08, 21:05
Well it wont make it any faster.

All your documents / photos/ music will be gone and you will be starting from scratch.

Best bet is to install it as a second hard drive next the one you already have.

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 21:41
Sorry, bout that :)

Your hard drive could possibly be at fault, although I doubt it.
Chances are the problem lies with an under powered processor (by today's standards) or lack of memory.

lack of memory is the easiest one to fix (technically), but if you have an older motherboard, the memory for it could be expensive.

If you click on Start - settings - control panel - system

Look at what pops up and let me know what it says under Computer

That'll be what your processor is and how much memory you have....

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 21:56
By the way...

If you just swap it over and switch on, there's a good chance everything will slow down.
I assume windows was set up on that hard drive when it was in another pc?

When you put it in yours and switch on, it basically won't know where it is. It may not work at all or it may have a fit, shouting for drivers.

Bobinovich
21-Feb-08, 22:43
I think Dessie_Darts is actually meaning they have another base unit, rather than a hard drive. It's a common misconception that I've come across before - many people new to computers don't realise that the hard drive is just one component which makes up the base unit.

If that is the case then I suspect that, so long as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. connections are the right type, and that the newer base unit is fully functional with Windows, etc. already installed, then the answer to the original question is YES, you should be able to swap the 2 base units over without much hassle.

At some point you may want to transfer over any files from your old base unit to the new one.

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 22:49
I think Dessie_Darts is actually meaning they have another base unit, rather than a hard drive. It's a common misconception that I've come across before - many people new to computers don't realise that the hard drive is just one component which makes up the base unit.

If that is the case then I suspect that, so long as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. connections are the right type, and that the newer base unit is fully functional with Windows, etc. already installed, then the answer to the original question is YES, you should be able to swap the 2 base units over without much hassle.

At some point you may want to transfer over any files from your old base unit to the new one.

Doh!! Of course... I'm not on the ball tonight.
You'll be pleased to know that I am currently kicking myself in the required fashion!! :lol:

dessie
21-Feb-08, 23:20
thanks bobinovich thatis what i was trying to say but did not come out right lol and i will try that...and sapphire..i,m usinga amd athlone 851 mhz...x 128 mb ram.....

Bobinovich
21-Feb-08, 23:26
Is that the old PC specification or the new one? You say you've got Windows XP on both base units so you're going to find 128Mb painful either way.

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 23:30
thanks bobinovich thatis what i was trying to say but did not come out right lol and i will try that...and sapphire..i,m usinga amd athlone 851 mhz...x 128 mb ram.....

Is that the old or the new?

If it's the old one, don't bin it, even if you don't want it any more, someone will probably have a use for it.

If it's the new one, you could probably do with a bit more memory.

If (unlike me) you're at all lucky, then the 2 pc's might have the same type of memory.

Are you ok with getting your files from the old to the new?

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 23:37
When you swap them (if you haven't already)

Put them side by side and move the leads over one at a time, it'll give you a much better chance of getting them all plugged in right and save you tearing your hair out.