PDA

View Full Version : strange car in Thurso...

NickInTheNorth
21-Feb-08, 14:19
... anyone else seen the car with all the camera attached to a large roof mounted post?

Anyone know what it's doing?

Thumper
21-Feb-08, 14:20
I saw it yesterday and wondered what it was........x

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:26
... anyone else seen the car with all the camera attached to a large roof mounted post?

Anyone know what it's doing?Maybe they are filming their travels?

justine
21-Feb-08, 14:27
maybe there is no room for it in the boot....;)

NickInTheNorth
21-Feb-08, 14:31
some kind of survey work, it's also got GPS as well as about 6 cameras, very strange

justine
21-Feb-08, 14:34
sorry cant resist;) but the truth is they are looking for the ghost of nessie, which has been spoted in thurso after a night out on cheap booze...:lol:

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:34
some kind of survey work, it's also got GPS as well as about 6 cameras, very strangeJust go up and say, "You're not from around these parts". That should break the ice.

NickInTheNorth
21-Feb-08, 14:35
If I get chance I'll certainly be asking :D

karia
21-Feb-08, 14:36
That's the Aliens checking you out and beaming back pictures to the mothership!:lol:

Watch to see how they respond to Big Issue sellers...that should tell you if they are pretending to blend in.;)

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:38
If I get chance I'll certainly be asking :DMibbe they are up looking for Justine's Ghosts and Aliens?

justine
21-Feb-08, 14:40
Mibbe they are up looking for Justine's Ghosts and Aliens?
ope so TBH then the problem maybe solved..We all need answers....

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:42
I hope so TBH then the problem maybe solved..We all need answers....
Ghosts are not the problem, they are really dead nice when you get to know them.

justine
21-Feb-08, 14:43
Ghosts are not the problem, they are really dead nice when you get to know them.
get a better conversation out of them aswell.They always on high spirits...must have been to tescos..

lassieinfife
21-Feb-08, 14:43
never mind the answers I dont know the questions:D:roll:

Flyermonkey
21-Feb-08, 14:48
Google are apparently filming every part of the globe so that they can make their maps 3 dimensional, ie so that you can 'walk' down any street in the world. This sounds exactly like the type of vehicle they would use for this. Six cameras for taking muliple views and a GPS system connected up to their current maps.

I have just found a story here,

http://apcmag.com/6232/whats_with_the_view_from_googles_street

though it does seem a bit early for them to be starting in Thurso?

I would guess that if its not Google then its someone else doing the same thing, I did read that Microsoft and Amazon may be doing the same thing or it might even be Ordanance Survey?

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:49
get a better conversation out of them aswell.They always on high spirits...must have been to tescos..I wonder if ghosts have ghost psychiatrists they go to and say,"I see live people"?

TBH
21-Feb-08, 14:52
Google are apparently filming every part of the globe so that they can make their maps 3 dimensional, ie so that you can 'walk' down any street in the world. This sounds exactly like the type of vehicle they would use for this. Six cameras for taking muliple views and a GPS system connected up to their current maps.

http://apcmag.com/6232/whats_with_the_view_from_googles_street (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://apcmag.com/6232/whats_with_the_view_from_googles_street)

I would guess that if its not Google then its someone else doing the same thing, I did read that Microsoft and Amazon may be doing the same thing or it might even be Ordanance Survey?It's all an n.w.o plot.:eek:

justine
21-Feb-08, 14:52
I wonder if ghosts have ghost psychiatrists they go to and say,"I see live people"?

Oh come now TBH we all know they dont speak to us, just watch us do a meaningless tasks;) and giggle....and thats just the psychiatrist

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 14:54
Oh...this sounds a bit high tech to be in THURSO!!!! Where about did you spot it and at what speed was it driving? How many people were in it?

northener
21-Feb-08, 15:24

I would guess that if its not Google then its someone else doing the same thing, I did read that Microsoft and Amazon may be doing the same thing or it might even be Ordanance Survey?

Well they can off, nobody's doing a cyber walk around my shed.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 15:25
What if they perve on us all

footie chick
21-Feb-08, 15:26
I met it at Oldhall thought it might be a speed camera thank goodness it wasn't :eek:

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 15:31
Gasp..... bad!!!! You shouldnt be speeding!! hehe only joking there ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Feb-08, 15:39

Clearly they must be incomers with strange ways other than those of good, non-nosey Caithness fowk.

Note from Moderators: Derogatory term edited out

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 15:41
Hehe yeah lol! BTW i recognise ur avatar from the HIE building!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Feb-08, 16:38
Cheers! scotsboy nicked my idea, as well.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 17:35
hehe lol for sure :P

EDDIE
21-Feb-08, 18:42
I wonder if its the DVL they have cars and vans that have cameras on them that read the registration plate to see if u have road tax they have that in aberdeen but its written on the side of the van or car

floyed
21-Feb-08, 18:52
I heard it was going about wick today with a police car following it, i heard that it is the TV licence van they are trying to catch people without a licence and the police are following so that they can go in your house and check for TV's. Now im not sure if this is true or if it is a load of rubbish:roll:

badger
21-Feb-08, 18:58
I saw somewhere that Google pics are now so detailed you can see people's faces. Time for the hoodies and dark glasses?

gollach
22-Feb-08, 00:21
Saw it yesterday passing the British Legion in Thurso and again today at lunchtime on Princes Street.

gollach
22-Feb-08, 00:48
Clearly they must be incomers with strange ways other than those of good, non-nosey Caithness fowk.

I find the ways of some outgoers equally strange.

Note from Moderator: Quoted sentence edited to remove derogatory term.

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 01:04
Maybe it's the fashion police!! Quick hide all yellow wellies!! :lol:

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-08, 01:07
I had heard that the car belongs to Tyke.
He is the poor guy that was crashed into outside Tesco,s in Thurso on the 3rd of Jan and has been appealing for witneses to the crash so he can make a claim.
He figured with all these cameras on the roof I will never get stiched up again.:lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Feb-08, 04:27
I find the ways of some outgoers equally strange.

//////// :)

Hibeechick
22-Feb-08, 12:59
Saw it in wick this morning coming up the hill beside the parish church.

Highland Laddie
22-Feb-08, 13:03
20 minutes ago, it was parked outside the distillery.

Anne x
22-Feb-08, 22:08
So are the Aliens here ? has anyone found out yet what it is ?
or is it Nessie in the Tardis [lol]

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 22:22
Anything like this?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_432/car_photo_216336_7.jpg

karia
22-Feb-08, 22:23
Anything like this?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_432/car_photo_216336_7.jpg

Nah..that's the undercover police!;)

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 22:25
Anything like this?

YES! but not logos that I saw...but it was a bit off in the distance! x

elamanya
22-Feb-08, 22:28
its a tv detector van , they just knocked on my door and said have you a tv licence, i said i dont have a tv, he said but there is a ariel on your roof sir , i said i have milk in the fridge dont mean theres a coo in my bag garden .........

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 22:28
Nope, never seen one of those, no idea, sorry.

Just kidding :lol:

If it's one of those then it's a...... drumroll please......

Driverless car!! (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/207958/driverless_passat.html) :eek:

Yikes!!

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 22:31
You ARE joking???? It wasnt a driverless car...well I dont think it was...I did think it was a tv detector at first BUT arent they usually vans????x

Anne x
22-Feb-08, 22:40
OK so it wasnt David Tennant undercover !!! Ah well only dreaming ;)

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 22:42
Well, I think I'll stay indoors for a few days, just in case :)

It's witchcraft I tells ya!! :eek:

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 22:43
Actually now that I think about it,it was well driven ;) x

ett23
22-Feb-08, 22:43
Well I got a pretty close look at the car - saw it about 5 times in Thurso on Wednesday. It was just a man in the front seat and he had a laptop in the passenger seat. I thought it was to detect people who don't have tv licenses too! ;)

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 22:45
Did the man move???maybe he was a dummy...oh but then again aren't they all ;) x

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 22:50
Well I got a pretty close look at the car - saw it about 5 times in Thurso on Wednesday. It was just a man in the front seat and he had a laptop in the passenger seat. I thought it was to detect people who don't have tv licenses too! ;)

They'd have to put someone in it, otherwise A&E would be chocka with heart attack patients and the nearest psychiatric hospital would have a queue outside :lol:

MadPict
22-Feb-08, 23:03
They're doing a curtain twitching survey......

Thumper
22-Feb-08, 23:07
They're doing a curtain twitching survey......

well they will be stuck up here for years then ;) x

northener
23-Feb-08, 00:19
It's a Cat Detector Van.

Hope you've got a licence for that Avatar, Sapphire.

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 00:22
It's a Cat Detector Van.

Hope you've got a licence for that Avatar, Sapphire.

Nope, I'm an anarchist! Mwahahaha
I only need a black and white license for our real cats. Ooh hang on... Is grey, black and white or colour?

Where's the car now??

Quick!! Everyone under the bed!!!!!!

Oh.... Northener.... Bring me a shrubbery!!!

gollach
10-Apr-09, 10:44
With all the recent fuss over Google StreetView, does anyone think that this car was taking pics of Thurso for them? It wasn't marked with their name like the one that was chased out of that village in England.

GetWithTheTimes
10-Apr-09, 11:34
With all the recent fuss over Google StreetView, does anyone think that this car was taking pics of Thurso for them? It wasn't marked with their name like the one that was chased out of that village in England.

i think the fact it was chased for having google on it might have deterred them from advertising what it was but i may be wrong

did they look like this
or have camera's like this
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/camera_head.jpg
http://www.stormbear.com/wp_images/google-streetview-map-7preview_0.jpg

i think its google and even though i had fun looking at my old flat in england on it i hate the fact you can see in peoples windows and even follow some people if they were walking in the same direction also i noticed not all faces are blurred out and its a really bad idea as what if a terrorist wanted to plot anything it would be pretty easy to do a plan on street viewer escape etc... even to plan on houses to rob

you would think if we and the americans are so anti terror we would stop google putting out bloody entire country all over the web so any one can look

i think its great we have the technology to do this but not for the entire world to be looking on, and also they say the pics are old so it doesnt matter but it does coz they gonna have to update it regular to keep people happy that use it to work out where to go in cities they aint been to before and such likes

i feel its just a plain breach of privacy i could see in a guys window in england and could see him on a step ladder decorating, what if kids were just out a bath or you were just out the shower and hadnt closed the curtains or had nets up you would be on show to the world and unless you were looking at street viewer you might never know people have been perving on you

its a great technology and good idea but its too much the fact you can zoom into windows and stuff not so bad just the street but the fact you can zoom in three times or four times is stupid why would someone need to zoom into a house window??

rockchick
10-Apr-09, 11:52
I wouldn't worry about privacy if it is the Google camera car. The photos on the web are usually posted about 6 months after they are taken, so if you left your gate open it doesn't mean it's open now. If you want your house blurred out for whatever reason apparently you can contact Google and they will oblige.

GetWithTheTimes
10-Apr-09, 12:03
I wouldn't worry about privacy if it is the Google camera car. The photos on the web are usually posted about 6 months after they are taken, so if you left your gate open it doesn't mean it's open now. If you want your house blurred out for whatever reason apparently you can contact Google and they will oblige.

yes thats not the point i was trying to make tho lol

if you dont have the net how would you know you were being invaded by camera's

also i think you shouldnt have to request not to be put on the web for the world to see if anything they should be asking everyone if they want to be put on the web, maybe even paying small amounts to encourage people to let them

and yes the pics are old when they uploaded but that doesnt mean it wont be updated and also i dont see why the whole world should be looking down all the streets anyway, there is a think called vacation or day trips to go see places

im sorry if im ranting but i really dont think this is a good idea, maybe if it was without the zoom function i could see it being ok but you can really zoom right in, i looked up my first flat in england and if i was still there i never used nets and you would be able t see me sitting on the couch in the living room

obviously im not there now but i am not comfortable with the fact that the entire world can peer into the windows and living areas of everyone in the world its just not right in my opinion

the house im in now is so close to the footpath i hate having the curtains open as it feels like a zoo or goldfish bowl just with people from the street going passed and instinctively looking right in at you its annoying as anything i know how the animals at the zoo feel now and its not nice and streetviewer is not much diffrent in the fact you can look in windows whether its old or not you can still see in windows

im pretty sure if i went around town with a cam and started taking pics of all houses and plastering them on the net for billions to see there would be more than a few unhappy people even if it was just because they never fixed there hair and look a state in the pic or whatever its still not right and if i was taking photos in your window im sure i could be charged with it so why can google do it?

alex
10-Apr-09, 19:42
I'm very surprised and a little disappointed that no-one has popped up and rapped on the window. Maybe everybody got something to hide [para] that they'd prefer to speculate?

In 2005 I did come across a Street Mapping car in London, pre Google Earth I think. This was one of those little Smart cars and covered in warnings to "Please Pass", "Surveying" etc - no company logos though.

When it pulled over (to let backed up traffic pass), I chatted briefly to the two guys on board who were happy to show me their GPS kit and told me they were part of an experimental 3D mapping project. Fascinating stuff but I didn't understand a word at the time - partly because they were both French :eek:

It may have been a coincidence but the areas around where I used to live were used as locations for several movies and TV programmes in the following few months, which I found interesting.

Strangely enough, I later got into GIS for practical reasons and could hold an intelligent conversation with them now :)

jock leith
10-Apr-09, 22:01

It will be the google street map van

wifie
10-Apr-09, 23:10
Strangely enough, I later got into GIS for practical reasons and could hold an intelligent conversation with them now :)

Did you learn French too? ;)

Fran
11-Apr-09, 01:39
It was in wick weeks ago

hotrod4
11-Apr-09, 04:34
It was in wick weeks ago
What do you mean it was in Wick weeks ago? Us wick folk invented google and street view,single handedly and we all took turns driving it round the world.Everyone knows how clever we are!!!![lol]

Connor.
11-Apr-09, 06:36

http://apcmag.com/6232/whats_with_the_view_from_googles_street

This has only been done in cities just now. It'll be a while before towns are involved. Besides, it would of had Google written on the side of it.

Welcomefamily
11-Apr-09, 06:58
They did Thurso weeks ago, someone must have complained about a camera view?

Ricco
11-Apr-09, 07:46
I have seen 5 or 6 comments about this being a TV detector car..... but surely you wouldn't use multiple cameras for checking - you would use a unidirectional ariel? :eek:

Ricco
11-Apr-09, 07:51
There is a police vehicle that photographs drivers that are:
not wearing a seatbelt,
using their mobiles on the move,
eating at the wheel,
reconfiguring their satnavs,
etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45655000/jpg/_45655520_jex_334229_de27-1.jpg (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7994449.stm)

Metalattakk
11-Apr-09, 10:36
This has only been done in cities just now. It'll be a while before towns are involved. Besides, it would of had Google written on the side of it.

The one that drove past me last year, on Dale Road in Thurso, had the 'Google' logo on the side of it.

It also went up the dead-end road to the gym at the top end of Naver field.