PDA

View Full Version : The spirit/atmosphere of Caithness

Saveman
21-Feb-08, 11:49
Is there one place in the whole county which just sums up the atmosphere and/or spirit of Caithness for you?

Maybe it's a place which evokes personal memories? Or maybe it's a place which speaks of ancient battles and sparse living?
Or maybe it's just e local pub!

Please tell us your special place in Caithness.

northener
21-Feb-08, 12:07
Sitting on the bench above Keiss harbour on a warm summers evening. Or even sat on the harbour wall.

No breeze, stunning views, watching the lads out at the creels or just kicking back and having the craic with anyone working on their boat or just mooching around.

TBH
21-Feb-08, 12:27
Sitting at the trinkie on a bonny day watching the world go by.

golach
21-Feb-08, 12:43
Sitting on a bench on the Victoria Walk on Midsummer evening and watching the sunset between Holburn Head and the Island of Hoy, then spotting a 4 masted sailing ship in full sail sail out of the Firth into the Atlantic.
A memory I will cherish forever, and typifies, to me anyway, the beauty and atmosphere of Caithness which can happen when you least expect it.
I forgot to add this was at 23.30 and the Sun was disappearing into the sea, we, Mrs G and I sat in silence for over 20 mins watching this.

tisme
21-Feb-08, 12:49
Sitting at the trinkie on a bonny day watching the world go by.

absolutely, first place I head to when I come home (providing it isna a gale) then if it is I sit in the car. Never ever tire of that view, miss is amazingly.

justine
21-Feb-08, 12:51
Being an out of towner who moved here i have to say all of it..The views are spectacular..The atmosphere is great and the air is clean..I coudl not imagine ever living in a built up city..Thanks for the beauitful scottish highlands....

TBH
21-Feb-08, 12:54
If they could separate us from England and tow us to the med that would be grand.:D

justine
21-Feb-08, 12:58
If they could separate us from England and tow us to the med that would be grand.:D

strange as you seem to back a english company.....Maybe you should move to the med if you feel this way........

Foxy
21-Feb-08, 13:02

It wouldn't be Caithness then, it would just be somewhere sunny. Caithness is known for it's lovely scenery and nice cooling breeze. :D

TBH
21-Feb-08, 13:06
strange as you seem to back a english company.....Maybe you should move to the med if you feel this way........That's a different thread Justine. I just think Scotland's scenery would go well with the weather in the med that's all, don't be so paranoid.:roll:

justine
21-Feb-08, 13:10
That's a different thread Justine. I just think Scotland's scenery would go well with the weather in the med that's all, don't be so paranoid.:roll:

I aint paranoid,just observent.........;)

scotsboy
21-Feb-08, 13:19
I would agree with Golach on the Victoria Walk and down the steps along the Esplanade, round by the Harbour and along to Old St Peters Kirk. Shore Street also reminds me of times gone by –I think it is just the Turnpike. When home I usually take a trip out to Dunnet Head, the views from there are fantastic.
For me however the best places to appreciate Caithness from is the sea, the coast is simply magnificent, and humbling to think of the forces it has withstood and the time it has been there.

Anne x
21-Feb-08, 13:29
I would agree with Golach on the Victoria Walk and down the steps along the Esplanade, round by the Harbour and along to Old St Peters Kirk. Shore Street also reminds me of times gone by –I think it is just the Turnpike. When home I usually take a trip out to Dunnet Head, the views from there are fantastic.
For me however the best places to appreciate Caithness from is the sea, the coast is simply magnificent, and humbling to think of the forces it has withstood and the time it has been there.

My favourite as well Could not of said it better I used to look out on Thurso Bay when I lived there and could watch the sea for hours always looked different

paris
21-Feb-08, 14:15
Anywhere is beautiful in caithness as far as im concerned, but i must admit i do like Dunbeath, it just has the edge for me . jan x

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Feb-08, 14:22
There are a few places, but they're mainly imaginary: good times in long-forgotten places.

Dusty
21-Feb-08, 14:34
As golach said, the view over the bay from the Vic is just great and a personal favourite of mine.

I also agree with scotsboy about the Shore Street, Harbour, Old St Peters and the Esplanade trip.

Both me and my pooch like a walk along any of the Caithness beaches, any type of weather will do for a beach walk.

honey
21-Feb-08, 15:14
the walk from my Mams house to Thurso East on a sunny day, then over the harbour to the Kirk, before ending with a stroll along the beach, thats what i miss about Caithness (not talking about family of course!!;))

Phoebus_Apollo
21-Feb-08, 17:44
Up to Lady Janets seat and beyond up to the old Murkle "secret" base (I always check for X-file type activity...never seen any yet:roll:) and back by Harolds Tower.

MadPict
21-Feb-08, 17:53
The windswept beaches on a sunny Caithness day...

...then the brief downpour and back to the car...

Tilter
21-Feb-08, 21:04
After 20 years living in Caithness I've never been to the trinkie. Tell me where it is someone and I'll go.

Anyway, for me it's anywhere out of town when it's still and there's that beautiful golden light over everything in the evening and the midgies aren't out and about.

Sporran
21-Feb-08, 21:43
Sitting on a bench on the Victoria Walk on Midsummer evening and watching the sunset between Holburn Head and the Island of Hoy, then spotting a 4 masted sailing ship in full sail sail out of the Firth into the Atlantic.
A memory I will cherish forever, and typifies, to me anyway, the beauty and atmosphere of Caithness which can happen when you least expect it.
I forgot to add this was at 23.30 and the Sun was disappearing into the sea, we, Mrs G and I sat in silence for over 20 mins watching this.

I'm in agreement with Golach and Scotsboy. I would also add Holborn Head to my list, as I loved the view across Thurso Bay from there. Also the walk up to Thurso Castle, and walking along the cliff tops beyond that, and the view from there too. :cool:

Like Anne x, we had a great view of Thurso Bay from our house, and it's a view I still miss to this day!

PS
I forgot to mention Dunnet Beach, which I loved going to when I was a kid.

gollach
22-Feb-08, 00:30
On North coast - Victoria walk to Holburn Head is a great spot. I also love Scotland's Haven and Dunnet Beach is great when it is cold and windy.

Round the corner, it has to be Dunbeath harbour. What a beautiful, relaxing wee place it is.

trix
22-Feb-08, 01:22
all o' 'e places mentioned are magical an really special...

theres too many for me til mention but a choost love 'e drive doon til inverness on a lovely summers day, or any time really.

all 'e mountains an sea, twists an turns....really beautiful :cool:

minds me o' a song a ken....

''pack yer bags prity mama, pack yer bags prity mama,

wur headin back til caithness, aint comin doon iss city way again.......''

''where the dear run free - laa laa laa la'' :lol:

Torvaig
22-Feb-08, 01:56
After 20 years living in Caithness I've never been to the trinkie. Tell me where it is someone and I'll go.

Anyway, for me it's anywhere out of town when it's still and there's that beautiful golden light over everything in the evening and the midgies aren't out and about.

The trinkie is not marked on this map but zoom in and take the road out beyond Wellington Avenue and follow the coastline.....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g186542-Wick-Area.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g186542-Wick-Area.html)

Rie
22-Feb-08, 02:49
i like walking along the cliff path in thurso, sitting on the benches and looking out to sea, i could stay there for hours watching the world go by,
there are so manyspecial places in caithness, its hard top pick just one!

nawthun
22-Feb-08, 03:43
Omigosh! Being a "Yank" who was one of the first of US Navy personnel to arrive in 1963, I would say "all of Caithness!". But to name a few, a stroll along the rocky coastline at Forss, Scrabster Harbor (sorry, Harbour), Holburn Head, Dunnet Beach and that beautiful, tricky drive between Thurso & Inverness via the Strurie. How awesome.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Feb-08, 04:02
Some of the incomers might not ken this place, but the "Bochd" is a place I always return to when back in Caithness and, when the sun is shining, which isn't often, sadly.

Kenn
22-Feb-08, 12:47
Dunnet and Sannick bays at any time of the year,Forss ,Ham and Westerdale mills but best of all seal watching along Pentland shores and the bird colonies at breeding time on Duncansby cliffs.

Torvaig
22-Feb-08, 12:51
Omigosh! Being a "Yank" who was one of the first of US Navy personnel to arrive in 1963, I would say "all of Caithness!". But to name a few, a stroll along the rocky coastline at Forss, Scrabster Harbor (sorry, Harbour), Holburn Head, Dunnet Beach and that beautiful, tricky drive between Thurso & Inverness via the Strurie. How awesome.

Yes, the view from the top of the Struie is tremendous; I still remember the first time I saw it; a long time ago now...;)

northener
22-Feb-08, 12:59
Another special place is up Glen Loth looking North East across the Strath, OK it may technically be Sutherland, but who cares?

silverfox57
22-Feb-08, 13:20
my personals best memories is wick river in the 1960 we would hire one of about 20 rowing boats .as boys will be boys we would leave someone stranded on island for a laugh,has we got to our teens then it was to row with girl friend under bridges up to fairy hill ,hot summers beautiful river.and river side walks. best laugh would be man in charge of boats saying come in no 12 your time is up,happy days

psyberyeti
22-Feb-08, 13:34
Well, it's standing on the stone pier in the Kyle of Tongue in front of the gates to Kyle House - that does it for me. BUT, I really think the spirit of Caithness/Sutherland lies in the photo section of this site. Remember a picture is woth a thousand words. Go and have a look at the photos in the 'Wave Power' thread, or many of the other threads relating to the area now and also its long photographic history. I wish I had lived here all of my life.:cool:

moureen
22-Feb-08, 20:48
Sitting on the Coldbackie sands watching the sun set over Melness the most beatiful place on earth AND I know it's Sutherland not Caithness!!!

Saveman
22-Feb-08, 20:58
Hey hey hey!! This is about Caithness.......Sutherland can be another thread!

;)

lagertops
22-Feb-08, 21:28
The Grove lounge, on a Sun morning about 10.00 is where you will hear all the craic!Apart from the weather, Caithness is a special place, lets keep it that way!

karia
22-Feb-08, 21:36
The Grove lounge, on a Sun morning about 10.00 is where you will hear all the craic!Apart from the weather, Caithness is a special place, lets keep it that way!

Never been there that early but The Grove when'Countdown' is on the telly is a magical place to be!;)

balto
22-Feb-08, 21:56
mines must be sarclet in thrumster, grew up in thruster and spent many a happy day wandering down sarclet to go to the haven, would go back tomorrow if i could. happy days

quiteone
23-Feb-08, 00:55
up the helmsdale strath in the hill there is a lilly pond its beautiful.

Ricco
23-Feb-08, 09:28

You were there as well! Actually, I wasn't there that late, being just 13 at the time, but I do remember the 4 master in Thurso Bay. Wonderful to see with all the sailors along the yard arms.

ett23
23-Feb-08, 09:47
Am I the first one to mention the Whaligoe Steps? First time I went there I froze in fear and then decided to look at my feet and not the view (I'm scared of heights!! :eek:). Got to the bottom and finally had the courage to look up and about me and it took my breath away!! WOW!! Love those cliffs - they are stunning.

My other faves are Dunnet Beach and Thurso Bay - never tire of watching those amazing waves rolling in. Especially on a clear sunny day when the water is sparkling and there's a perfect view of orkney. Yup I LOVE Caithness. :cool:

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:03
Some of the incomers might not ken this place, but the "Bochd" is a place I always return to when back in Caithness and, when the sun is shining, which isn't often, sadly.

Yes, the view from the top of the Struie is tremendous; I still remember the first time I saw it; a long time ago now...;)

Where's the Bochd? And what's the Struie? Sorry for my ignorance!

ywindythesecond
24-Feb-08, 02:09
The evening view towards Dunnet Church from my kitchen window and a high sea running at Brims Ness seen from the Forss base.

moureen
24-Feb-08, 14:04
OK Saveman seeing as we're talking about CAITHNESS!! looking out of my bedroom window watching the ferry dock at Scrabster harbour on a sunny day lovely BUT not as breath taking as the Coldbackie sand's !!