PDA

View Full Version : Tesco

kwbrown111
29-Oct-05, 14:21
Any truth in the rumour that Tesco's is coming to Thurso instead of Wick :)

scotsboy
29-Oct-05, 16:04
It certainly would make more sense.

DrSzin
29-Oct-05, 16:05
Why would it make more sense?

scotsboy
29-Oct-05, 16:06
Well Thurso is used with dealing with immigrants and not adverse to coping with change - best leave Wick alone :roll: ;)

porshiepoo
29-Oct-05, 18:25
Well Thurso is used with dealing with immigrants and not adverse to coping with change - best leave Wick alone :roll: ;)

Perhaps you should explain that thought scotsboy ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

scotsboy
29-Oct-05, 19:37
Years of incomers made Thurso much more cosmopolitan than Wick.

EDDIE
29-Oct-05, 19:41
To be quite honest about it wick needs a lot more than tescos more like knock the whole town down and rebuild it.Its a pritty run down town and needs a new look.
Sorry to everyone who lives in wick but it is in need of modernising the centre of wick

Rheghead
29-Oct-05, 19:52
The citizens of Cumbernauld voted to knock their town centre down, I think I'll put a poll up... :lol:

porshiepoo
29-Oct-05, 21:30
To be quite honest about it wick needs a lot more than tescos more like knock the whole town down and rebuild it.Its a pritty run down town and needs a new look.
Sorry to everyone who lives in wick but it is in need of modernising the centre of wick

Modernising yes :) But not Beyond all recognition :(

:eyes Thats all I'll say :eyes

EDDIE
29-Oct-05, 21:55
Well rheghead i go down to cumbernauld quite regular with my work and honestly out of all the places ive been its a really ugly town most definatley the worst in scotland the best way i could describe its like a small village embedded into an industrial estate

bagpuss
29-Oct-05, 22:21
Perhaps Bill Fernie can clarify this one for us?

Thurso are certainly anxious to get the Tesco- but the proposed site there was on the exisiting mart- down the hill from the High School and College- quite a traffic hazard- but that site would not be nearly large enough.

bagpuss
29-Oct-05, 22:26
Oh and taking the point about Wick town centre- much of it is falling down- the stretch from DE to the old Boots building is in a precarious state- but there are derelict buildings all over the place in both towns- think the building at the back of Elmtree filling station and the old Co-op in Wick. Then there's the eyesore in the centre of Sir John's Square.

Don't get too amnitious for out of town developmetns and malls- the west end of Aberdeen's Union steet became clubbing hell-masses of places for teenage revellers to indulge in some serious binge drinking- and now a no go area for everyone else- mailnly because the malls and retail parks led to the closure of the shops outwith the malls.

porshiepoo
29-Oct-05, 22:41
Don't get too amnitious for out of town developmetns and malls- the west end of Aberdeen's Union steet became clubbing hell-masses of places for teenage revellers to indulge in some serious binge drinking- and now a no go area for everyone else- mailnly because the malls and retail parks led to the closure of the shops outwith the malls.[/quote]

Unfortuantely this is another down side to development. :(

But theres lots of good sides too ;) ;)

Perhaps developers should be encouraged to renovate all the older empty, delapidated buildings in Wick before building new? I don't know the practicalities of such a thing but personally I think Wick would look much better if all these old buildings were in use first.
[para] [para]

Fran
30-Oct-05, 00:35
eddie.....you say wick has empty old buildings etc, what about that huge eyesore as you enterthurs oat the corner, opposite the Pentland Hotel, and you have a few empty shops lying empty, so dont knock wick. at least wick has an airport and a big hospital, does Thurso!!!!!!!!!!! :confused :D :p

webmannie
30-Oct-05, 10:14
Girlfriend got a survey phone call yesterday, Tesco's and Thurso was mentioned, methinks the MOD may have put a spanner in the works, wonder if they got the same phone call over in Orkney? Heard they are looking at a site down Scrabster way.

Angel-Eyes
30-Oct-05, 10:33
Everyones got a differnt story to tescos coming up here!!! We will just av 2 wait n see!!! :confused

EDDIE
30-Oct-05, 11:56
Fran im not slagging of wick im pointing out the fact that wick does need a new look and the council should think about it because it would be good for the locals and good for tourism which is good for the econemy.If you were going on your holidays to wick theres nothing there you could around wick shopping in half an hour the council and local shops could do more to make the center of wick look more nicer so tourists would say wicks a nice looking and good shops there were as at the moment woolworths is the only good shop in the centre.And as for having an airport is handy to have and would save an enormous amount time to get to wick from other places but unfortantely the fairs are very expensive you can go abroad cheaper than what you go to wick and thats fact.If you had the chance to go abroad for a holiday that is cheaper than going to wick for holiday what would you do.

DrSzin
30-Oct-05, 15:41
Perhaps they're planning stores in Wick and Thurso?

How about a compromise? Let's hear it for the Watten Tesco! Or how's about Georgemas -- with the new commuter train service helping to keep down pollution?

Or, in order to keep all the associated pollution well away from the main towns, how's about Lybster? It's closer to Inverness, so transport costs and hence prices will be lower.

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 15:48
Or, in order to keep all the associated pollution well away from the main towns, how's about Lybster? It's closer to Inverness, so transport costs and hence prices will be lower.[/quote]

lol Oh Drszin you devil you! lol

bagpuss
06-Nov-05, 01:32
Or perhaps a Tesco Express in each town? But will they sell the nice Barbara Daly make-up?

Just too many rumours. Can Bill enlighten us? Is it still to be on the stretch of land between Caithness Glass and the business park? Or the other side of the road?

rfr10
06-Nov-05, 11:45
I wouldn't think they will be building a Tesco in Thurso as all developments are happening in Wick. I also hear there will be a multi-million pound development happening down at the Waterfront.

Lavenderblue2
06-Nov-05, 18:04
Or perhaps a Tesco Express in each town?

I would be sorry if both towns were lumbered with Tesco Express - they are expensive and do not have the same choice - bad idea.

Bring on Tesco Extra - I know that's pie in the sky but wouldn't it be great?

LB

Fluff
06-Nov-05, 18:26
Tesco isnt that great. They do alot of offers, but so do other supermarkets. Their offers are sometimes deceptive, you save 10p etc..
Their clothes are ok, but not really cheap either, just convient.

Alot of their fresh food does not come from the UK, Although they do stock UK stuff too. The ones of offer often are imported.
I would have thought a Sainsburys may have been more supported since they are now doing May selections. I personally find alot of their food nicer although their choice is not as vast.

But that is just my opinion.

daviddd
06-Nov-05, 19:57
Sainsbury's won't come up here, there's no other stores, wouldn't be economical. Are there even any in Scotland? maybe in Central belt.

fred
06-Nov-05, 20:09
I wouldn't think they will be building a Tesco in Thurso as all developments are happening in Wick. I also hear there will be a multi-million pound development happening down at the Waterfront.

You know I've got a sneaky suspicion the government have dicided to go ahead with the Orkney tunnel, that would explain a lot, 20,000 extra customers and a lot of passing trade.

Mr P Cannop
06-Nov-05, 20:13
i heard that tesco's are comming to thurso

lasher
06-Nov-05, 20:48
Sainsbury's won't come up here, there's no other stores, wouldn't be economical. Are there even any in Scotland? maybe in Central belt.

There are two Sainsbury's in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, mostly in the central belt.:o

rfr10
06-Nov-05, 20:50
I like Tesco because they have a good range of products and Im supporting any improvements happening in Caithness.

lasher
06-Nov-05, 20:51
You know I've got a sneaky suspicion the government have dicided to go ahead with the Orkney tunnel, that would explain a lot, 20,000 extra customers and a lot of passing trade.

No chance, you know how much that would cost, what would be the justification for spending so much money?

fred
06-Nov-05, 22:56
No chance, you know how much that would cost, what would be the justification for spending so much money?

It would cost about £100m, a ferry costs £30m and lasts 20 years.

There would be about as much justification for a tunnel to Orkney as there would be for a bridge to Sky I would say.

There has to be some reason, unless all these businesses just ran out of other places to build and are scraping the bottom of the barrel. I haven't seen any sign of the population of Caithness increasing lately, there is planning permission in for 70 houses at Old Wick but that went in over 7 years ago so I can't think it's connected. It would fit with the money being spent on the roads all of a sudden.

Orkney has oil money to invest in their future. I'm pretty sure the Holyrood lot would back it so they can say how they help out deprived areas. If the feasibility studies carried out earlier this year were favourable I'd say they would go for it.

Of course the oil strike theory or the dumping of thousands of foreign nationals could be right, I don't know, it just looked like the most likely explanation to me.

bagpuss
06-Nov-05, 23:00
Orkney has a Tesco already.

No-one's mentioned Asda Walmart- and they are planning a store in inverness- as is Sainsbury

Moonboots
07-Nov-05, 10:48
I personally think that Wick and Thurso Community Council should work to building an overall Caithness Retail Group.

Why not have some new retail premises like what Wick is getting right now and then get other retails premises in Thurso.

So we all benefit..... Caithness as a whole!!!!

This would make more sense than arguing about each town having better shops....etc...

I would say Wick with Tesco as planned then maybe Thurso could get Asda if they propose to show interest in Caithness.

For example we could have:

Wick - Homebase, Argos, Iceland, Rumours of JJB Sports, Next, Superdrug MFI....etc etc

Thurso - B&Q, Matalan, Primark, Topshop, Sports Division, Farmfoods, Poundstretcher...etc etc

The list could go on forever.............

What does everyone else think of this.

Cheers
Paul

Naefearjustbeer
07-Nov-05, 11:51
No you dont want to split the shopping areas, if you split it between wick and thurso neither will boom both will get a little bit busyer. Build them all in one place and you should get a big growth and investment. Lots of jobs created and more peole with money to spend coming into the town so even more growth.

Lavenderblue2
08-Nov-05, 10:39
I agree with many of the sentiments aired in this thread but what we desperately need here in Caithness is CHOICE. The choice offered in the supermarkets we have is abysmal – I have thrown out better leeks than the ones offer in the Co-op in Thurso last Friday and that is just a mundane vegetable.
Has anybody seen a celeriac for sale here? – if so then I missed it. There is so much more out there than neeps, leeks, cabbage and tatties, all good in their place I hasten to add but there is a whole world of beautiful vegetables out there.

Alot of their fresh food does not come from the UK

The last time I was in Tesco Inverness most of the lamb on offer was embalzoned with a picture of Morris Pottinger the producer - how more local do you want? Of course not all of the fresh food comes from the UK but neither does it in any other supermarket. Look out for the little red tractor next time Fluff.

It’s a pure disgrace what we here in Caithness have to put up with in this 21st century.

LB

fred
08-Nov-05, 11:22
Has anybody seen a celeriac for sale here?

Yes, they have them in Lidles quite often, tried one in a stew but it came out far to sweet for my liking.

The stores only sell what people buy, even Tescos arn't going to keep shipping exotic vegetables to Caithness just to throw them away, they'll stock them for a while then when no one buys them they'll stop stocking them.

You'll get a celeriac in Co-op Inverness, not Wick, you'll get a celeriac in Summerfields Inverness, not Wick, because you can get a celeriac in Tescos Inverness don't think you'll get one in Tescos Wick.

If you could convert everyone to celeriac and tatties the shops would be full of the things.

Lavenderblue2
08-Nov-05, 18:49
You'll get a celeriac in Co-op Inverness, not Wick, you'll get a celeriac in Summerfields Inverness, not Wick, because you can get a celeriac in Tescos Inverness don't think you'll get one in Tescos Wick.

I take your point Fred but my point was simply as I said - one of choice and we have precious little of that here.
I only used celeriac as a casing point - it is a very good vegetable in my view.
I take exception at having to run between Co-op and Somerfield to get what I need in Thurso without running all over Inverness!
I never go into Lidl - I do not like that shop - my choice!

I'll say no more on this subject - for fear the fool may be me.................LB

Fran
10-Nov-05, 04:07
after reading an article in the paper today that Tesco hasnt even purchased the land yet at the airport (which suprises me as their surveyors were there measuring).........it could well be true that the company are considering thurso.

Fran
12-Nov-05, 02:32
i was in tesco today and the booze was so much cheaper than co-op and safeway so i stocked up for new year. petrol was very much cheaper and with a further 5p off per litre.

hails4
12-Nov-05, 11:26
thurso dont desrve tescos cause they have fulfilled all their potential, wick on the other hand will allow companies to build out with the town center something thurso arent prepared to do at the moment i think tesco should come to wick but replace somerfields who are useless, so over priced and you need a card to get discounts! what happens if you dont have the card? dont get the discounts! so i say get tescos here...fast!

angela5
12-Nov-05, 15:47
thurso dont desrve tescos cause they have fulfilled all their potential, wick on the other hand will allow companies to build out with the town center something thurso arent prepared to do at the moment i think tesco should come to wick but replace somerfields who are useless, so over priced and you need a card to get discounts! what happens if you dont have the card? dont get the discounts! so i say get tescos here...fast!

:confused: i think it depends who serves you on the checkouts, i shopped in somerfield one day and forgot the card, the girl simply swiped one they keep there for forgetful people like me. thurso was a different story i never got discount!!!

Sandra
12-Nov-05, 15:55
Orkney has a Tesco already.

I didn't know that, thanks for that information.

sandie
12-Nov-05, 19:54
hi no tesco's is not going to thurso there Are going to wick.
Anyway Thurso wont have enough room for a big shop like that.
I have been told thaere is going to be homebase, farm foods, tesco's and a shopping mall eg. next, comet, river island and things like that is this true?

scorrie
12-Nov-05, 21:24
There is an interesting article in today's Daily Mail about the impact of Tescos on Inverness.

The most important statistic is that 50p of EVERY pound spent in Inverness is spent is Tescos!!

Anyone up for the new, Tesco, edition of that old boardgame classic Monopoly?

ps Hands off Lidls, I have tried many of their products and in most cases they are way superior to the Co-op and Somerfield and if you get around to examining products like chocolate bars and chocolate biscuits you will find that the cocoa content and general chocolate content is way above people like Cadburys, McVities etc The same applies when examing actual meat content, fish content etc on other products. I would estimate that you can save around 40% on your shopping bill without sacrificing at all on quality. Of course some people will always simply lob items into the trolley and pay more in the belief that you "get what you pay for", and that Captain Birdseye is the Corgi's cohones. (Not that he sells those!!)

_Ju_
12-Nov-05, 22:04
IHas anybody seen a celeriac for sale here? – if so then I missed it.
LB

:-) Not long ago I saw it for sale.....I am almost 100% sure it was in Lidl's

angela5
14-Nov-05, 00:22
it would not of been the coop in wick anyway, there shelves are bare, try getting a loaf of bread on a sunday/monday. try even going there half an hour before they close, you will find they are closed :confused:

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 08:41
Sandie wrote
Anyway Thurso wont have enough room for a big shop like that

Nothing like informed debate

Neil
14-Nov-05, 22:21
Hi there

Just thought I would point out Orkney does not have a Tesco. Co-op, Somerfield and a small Spar at a local garage.

We will have a Lidl at the end of April.

Regards

krieve
14-Nov-05, 22:31
Tell me what do u have i always thought u had a co op or a somerfeilds .

Neil
14-Nov-05, 22:51
Badly worded but there is a full stop after Tesco. We do have a Co-op, Somerfield and a small Spar

Regards

Gross
19-Nov-05, 13:20

Or you could just get a Somerfield card.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Nov-05, 15:34
www.tesco.com/pricecheck/ (http://www.tesco.com/pricecheck/)

go look for yourself and see why we want tesco. The mother in law took a few items up from Inverness tescos for us last week and it was £11 cheaper than somerfields for about a dozen items

crayola
19-Nov-05, 16:03
Thanks for that Naefearjustbeer. Nice to have my gut feelings confirmed. I've always found ASDA & TESCO much of a muchness when it comes to price, and both are a good bit cheaper than Sainsburys & Morrisons/Safeway, which are also similar pricewise.

I wonder if the Wick TESCO will do online ordering and have a delivery service. That can be a godsend. On the other hand, ASDA managed to deliver the wrong order to us a couple of weeks ago. When the delivery mannie managed to find the right order in the back of the van, it turned out that half of it was missing. Oh yes, and they gave us 2.5kg of courgettes instead of 0.5kg. What was I supposed to do with 2.5kg of courgettes? They delivered the rest of the stuff the following night, but the courgettes had all gone soft by then and were no use for anything.

TESCO didn't always get it right when I used their delivery service a few years ago. They might be better now.

daviddd
19-Nov-05, 16:12
I'd love to see the smirk wiped off the faces of the local fuel stations cartel if Tesco's undercut them!

Doolally
19-Nov-05, 18:48
I'd love to see the smirk wiped off the faces of the local fuel stations cartel if Tesco's undercut them!

It's about time - they've been ripping us off for too long. No wonder they are against Tescos coming to Wick.

A few years ago, they were complaining that they made nothing off the petrol and they were only really opening as a service. If that was the case they should be delighted that they won't have to provide the 'service' any longer if they don't want to.

Wick is going through a series of changes and the local companies will have to change to survive. That's progress.

Sometimes I think that Wick would still like to rely on the herring! Times change - move with them and reap the rewards. Progress offers new challenges that can be lucrative - make the most of them rather than just saying well that's it then.

Rant over.

daviddd
19-Nov-05, 19:08
I once spoke to the owner of *the busiest* Caithness filling station and he swore blind to me that it was the fault of the oil cos. and he had to charge what they dictated. This from a guy who has several expensive cars and God knows what else - what hypocracy.

Sniperama
19-Nov-05, 21:03
But the question is, Is wick getting a tesco thats what every one wants to no thats the point of this thread not to find out how many shops are in orkney or how big thurso is .

perdomcgrory
19-Nov-05, 23:14
But the question is, Is wick getting a tesco thats what every one wants to no thats the point of this thread not to find out how many shops are in orkney or how big thurso is .never mind tesco.....if ye need anything just ask me,i ken a mannie that can get anything ye want.....no questions asked.

Fran
20-Nov-05, 03:26
as you will have read in the local paper, tesco IS coming to wick, but......the petrol prices will be the same as the local garages.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 03:44
as you will have read in the local paper, tesco IS coming to wick, but......the petrol prices will be the same as the local garages.

Even if the price is the same I think he majority of fowk will fill up at the same time as they do the weekly shop, It will still hit the local garages quite hard, then we will see how much competition it will generate,
Why would it be the same price I am sure that I read somewhere that tesco doesnt make any profits on the fuel they just cover running costs and the money they make on your groceries subsidises the fuel pumps.

Chillie
20-Nov-05, 04:16

How do you know that, where have you heard or seen this.Tescos policy as far as i know is to provide the cheapist product what ever it is.

Fran
20-Nov-05, 04:24
I was told that was a condition on tesco getting planning permission and if you look at their prices elsewhere they are much the same as local garages.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 04:28
I was told that was a condition on tesco getting planning permission and if you look at their prices elsewhere they are much the same as local garages.

nearly always cheaper for fuel than other garages any t ime i have been doon sooth

Chillie
20-Nov-05, 04:30
What rubbish i travel a fsair bit and the cheapist tesco petrol is in Elgin, some 5p per litre than any other garage there.

tip top
20-Nov-05, 11:48
Tesco's petrol is indeed very cheap in Elgin, they are currently in a price war with Asda. The price in Inverness is higher as they are not facing such aggressive competition. I don't think Tesco will make a great deal of difference to fuel costs in Caithness, they will perhaps go 1-2p lower than the competition until they put them out of business, then we're going to get robbed again, probably to an even greater extent than we are now. They don't quote a national price for petrol on their price check page, their policy on petrol is "Our local pricing policy means we won’t be beaten, in any location, on the price of petrol"
Out of the frying pan and into the fire perhaps??

scotsboy
20-Nov-05, 12:20
Any petrol heads or other hydrocarbon experts who can comment on the quality of the petrol provided by Tescos et al? I have heard that it is "inferior" to other branded names........not sure if that is in terms of engine performance or other stuff that is spewed out in th exhaust.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 13:30
There is only one refinery in scotland, Its all the same stuff.

golach
20-Nov-05, 16:46
There is only one refinery in scotland, Its all the same stuff.
You are so correct Naefear, It all come from BP Grangemouth regardless of which brand you prefer of buy. Talk about a cartel!!!!!!!

Doleve
20-Nov-05, 20:56
I cant say ive saved much more than pennies on the odd occasion that i have shopped in tesco inverness compared to coop or somerfield in thurso. The only real benefit appears to me to be a bit extra choice.
If tescos had a filling station in caithness that is cheaper than everyone else, they would eventually all shut, leaving no choice. Ive also been told they dont take fuel cardsThey dont operate accounts for businesses Will wick and thurso end up like the dingwall area has with empty shops and filling stations all over the place. For saving a couple of pence saved here and there is it worthwhile to have an area that looks half abandond?

SJR
20-Nov-05, 21:09
Which is the busiest filling station in caithness then?
I was in inverness the other day and had to come back via dingwall, there are 3 abandond filling stations in that area that i seen and it looks terrible. I have been constantly assured that the local filling stations make very little profit from fuel. Since BP has no filling stations up here anymore and the shell stations have put up signs saying they can take BP agency cards, they forget to tell you that there is a surcharge for doing so making the saving for using the cards disappear and sometimes even making the fuel work out dearer than the pump price!!!!! As for the expencive cars........

Bobinovich
20-Nov-05, 21:16
Which is the busiest filling station in caithness then?

I would hazzard a guess at Pennyland Filling Station in Thurso - they get a lot of Dounreay traffic as well as from Scrabster ferry. It's rarely quiet at their pumps.

Doleve
20-Nov-05, 21:36
Isnt it carl cox that owns pennyland? If so he has a number of business interests as far as im led to belive, so whats wrong with him having expensive cars and whats that got to do with anything anyway cos anyone can sign on the dotted line!
If tesco(lots of ifs here!)build in wick, with filling station, and makes all the others less busy causing a few to shut, it would also put a dent in the turnover of the ones that are left, possibly meaning if nothing else shorter opening hours.