PDA

View Full Version : Storage Heating Costs?

rob16d
20-Feb-08, 20:50
I have just moved into a one bedroomed, mid-terraced bungalow with storage heating on economy 7 tarriff. What's the most economical way of using my heating? What are the approx costs?

Macwull
20-Feb-08, 21:48
You'll have to figure it out yourself, maybe start at half setting and see how it goes, worst thing with this is you dont have much control. It may be cold one day so you turn it up then might be a hot day the next and your heaters are roasting.

I'd imagine your electricity bill won't be much more than £22 a week. I know someone who's heating a 3 bedroom house with storage heaters at £22/week but its new heaters and there on the :lol: 'total control' :lol: tariff!! !!

alistair harper
20-Feb-08, 22:01
hi there
if you are having problems or would like some free informationon about your heating you could give caithness energy advice a call on 896524 they can arange a home visit and even bring around some free energy saving light bulbs free thermometer and if you have a desktop computer a free powerdown plug if you are in caithness.

Bobinovich
20-Feb-08, 22:33
It'll also depend on how well insulated your house is. We're averaging £4 per day for a 3-bedroom house but that is ALL our electric (can't break it down to heating only I'm afraid). However our house is cavity insulated, has new D/G windows & doors, etc. - we have 2 small, 3 medium and 1 large storage heater on, all around the medium setting, and are on total heating total control.

bobbyjoeufb
20-Feb-08, 22:46
I had my 3 storage heaters on half setting and that was costing £3 a day which does not sound much until you add it up at £90 a month.

At the moment I keep the living room heater at half setting, hall way at 1/4 setting and upstairs heater is off.

Looking at getting Gas central heating in this year should make a difference.

Riffman
20-Feb-08, 22:50
You can work out the costs if you really want to.

First thing to do is find the rating of the heaters (watts) then work out how long they need to be on for. Then find the price of the electricity (usually in Units (unit = 1KWh) and you can calculate the cost.

carasmam
20-Feb-08, 22:53
We are 3 bed end of terrace and about £3 - £4 a day economy 7.We have 2 large storage heaters and 1 medium on at full and a panel heater on for about 10 hours at a low setting in the bairns room. We are all electric so thats not just heating costs.
Hope that helps you get an idea :)

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 08:51
We are 3 bed end of terrace and about £3 - £4 a day economy 7.We have 2 large storage heaters and 1 medium on at full and a panel heater on for about 10 hours at a low setting in the bairns room. We are all electric so thats not just heating costs.
Hope that helps you get an idea :)

Looks like economy 7 is quite a good tariff for centra heating! I have the same as you! 2 large heaters and one small....also a panel heater in my bedroom! I currently don't use ANY of the heating, but maybe put the small heater on 1/4 power every 3 nights to top up the heat in the house....the temp in my house is about 15 degrees.....can't afford much atm!

NickInTheNorth
21-Feb-08, 10:50
get in touch with the energy advice people on the number given by an earlier poster, you probably qualify for a 20% discount on your electricity bills, they'll advise you on that.

carasmam
21-Feb-08, 11:03
Forgot to say our water heater is on 24/7. There was another thread short ago about the pros and cons of leaving it on or just switching it on for an hour or so when needed. I think we are cheaper leaving it on as it is well insulated.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 11:06
Ok cool, yeah I heard it's cheaper to just leave it on! Nick....am i seriously eligible for a 20% discount? How do I go about gettign that? Is there any information on the internet?

bobbyrussell09
21-Feb-08, 11:36
i have storage heaters an i have them turned off as the are to expensive an never really warmed up the place.we just bout sum heaters ,an what a difference it makes.

alistair harper
22-Feb-08, 15:26
i have storage heaters an i have them turned off as the are to expensive an never really warmed up the place.we just bout sum heaters ,an what a difference it makes.

hi there
if you are having problems or would like some free informationon about your heating you could give caithness energy advice a call on 896524 they can arange a home visit and even bring around some free energy saving light bulbs free thermometer and if you have a desktop computer a free powerdown plug if you are in caithness.