PDA

View Full Version : Most missed at childhood

teddybear1873
20-Feb-08, 17:29
What does everyone miss most when they were a bairn? I miss the times when my mither would have my slippers at the roaring coal and peat fire when i came home from school. The weather would be dreech and cold and i would be sitting on the chair eating a bowl of good old homemade tattie soup. Even back to the days when power cuts happened often. The candles would be lit, the baked tatties on the fire with all the family clooking round, warming themselves up. You dont get many days like that anymore with most people having gas, oil or electric heating.

mccaugm
20-Feb-08, 17:35
I miss going to my grannies on a Friday night...she always had a treat for myself and my sister.

I miss not having to worry about bills, the mortgage and having to buy the shopping.

I miss not being able to wind up my parents by playing my music loud, my bairns do that now and it drives me nuts.

I also do not miss teenage angst, nasty schoolteachers, exams (although back at that again now), having a curfew that I thought was too early and fighting with my little sister.

Buttercup
20-Feb-08, 17:56
I miss the lovely smell and taste of home baking when I went in the door. Mam always seemed to be baking when we got home from school and there was usually hot pancakes ready for us to dive into.
Strangely, I also "miss" the sound the TV aerials made in the wind. I remember being frightened of it when I was really wee and suppose I got used to it then.
But most of all I miss the freedom from worry. When you're young you take so much for granted and the most we had to worry about was getting our homework done!

cuddlepop
20-Feb-08, 18:05
We didn't have central heating when I was growing up .
I remember mum getting up to put the fire on in the living room and placing our clothes round the fire to heat us up.
Finding an old fashioned pig (hot water bottle) in my bed was another treat.:D

justine
20-Feb-08, 18:19
I miss being a child and all that goes with it..I cant remember really ever havinga normal childhood, but i can say i miss romping around the fields,getting into mishief and jumping into rivers on inflatable inner tubes..Fishsing by the river and just larking about in the country....

paris
20-Feb-08, 18:24
I miss sitting in front of the fire and watching " Watch with mother " with bill and ben spotty dog and little weed. Mum always made me an
instant wip with a cherry on the top and her home made pies were to die for . jan x

percy toboggan
20-Feb-08, 18:27
It's difficult to nominate one thing, but as a five year old I'd be awoken for school and hastily transferred next door to my Nana's house. The gas poker would be stuck into the grate and persuading the coal or coke fire to light.
Nan would then bring me my breakfast of pobs. A few Glengarry biscuits immersed in a dishful of piping hot tea. Toast and jam to follow...then she'd walk me to school where I'd oft be ribbed for the size of my ears....character building stuff but that's something I do not miss...anyway, my head has grown much more in proportion these days....I think my ears have more or less stayed as they were back then, in austere fifties Britain....I'm really quite attached to them. Or vice-versa.

sphinx
20-Feb-08, 19:09
i rember when the houses had no central heating and in the winter time there used to b frost on the inside of the sash an case windows its amazing how times have changed............................;)

hell raizer
20-Feb-08, 19:24
i miss the frozen cream on the top of the milk bottle, i used to pinch it from the step on my way to school - mam used to give me an ear bashing for doing it when i got home :lol:

Gizmo
20-Feb-08, 19:24
I miss the years 1984 to 1987, just me, my Bmx, my mates, a BBC B Computer, Chuckie Egg and not a care in the world.

And my Grannies Pancakes/Treacle Scones/Flour Scones on a Thursday afternoon :)

Ahhhh the memories.....doesn't it suck being old :(

orkneylass
20-Feb-08, 19:31
I miss my Granny spoiling me rotton with ice cream with fudge sauce, sticky buns etc, not least because holidays with my grandparents were an escape from aspects of childhood I most definately do not miss - fear, and bewilderment at the mental cruelty of my Mum and Step dad and always being made to feel bad about myself. I agree with the previous posts that you can sometimes learn to be a good parent by remembering how NOT to do it from your own experiences.

Anne x
20-Feb-08, 19:33
The warmth of home and the smell of great cooking etc and
How safe you always felt once you were indoors settling down round the fire and actually talking about the days events quite often a neighbour popped in and took part in the conversation
my dad playing cribbage ah the list goes on

karia
20-Feb-08, 19:38
Isn't it interesting that our (good) childhood memories all seem to involve feeling 'safe'...can it be that even in the halcyon days of old we often felt as unsafe as today's youngsters?:(

orkneylass
20-Feb-08, 19:40
Isn't it interesting that our (good) childhood memories all seem to involve feeling 'safe'...can it be that even in the halcyon days of old we often felt as unsafe as today's youngsters?:(

Is it the kids that don't feel safe our their parents that perceive them as unsafe? I think it is the latter.

teddybear1873
20-Feb-08, 19:43
My mam was always in the kitchen cooking and baking. The smell of treacle scones, and flour bannocks, girdle scones etc. My mam always gave me a bit of neep to chump on. Life is so different nowadays.

percy toboggan
20-Feb-08, 19:57

Feeling 'unsafe' did not appear on our radar. It's a reflective , half decent thought...but innacurate.

I agree with the sentiments of Orkneylass to a point, she asked if it's the parents who have the most doubts and fears....these merely transmitted to the kids themselves. Kids should not grow up fearing the world around them. If they do we might as well give up on breeding.

That said a young lass in Dewsbury is missing tonight. She went to school on her own and came home on her own...perfectly natural & laudible at that age ....I hope they find her safe...if not I hope kids nationwide continue to go to and from school under their own steam. Life's about managing, recognising and encountering risk. The risk of harm is still a minutely small one.

karia
20-Feb-08, 20:06
Feeling 'unsafe' did not appear on our radar. It's a reflective , half decent thought...but innacurate.

Innaccurate as regards your experience perhaps...but then there are more people in the world than percy toboggan...I realise that may come as a shock to you!:eek:

(and before you have a 'go' at me for personal insults..check your BNP thread where the only 'arguments' you have put up are to slag off Dehaviland and George Brims in quite personal ways...still if the ideas are lacking..!)

percy toboggan
20-Feb-08, 20:10
Innaccurate as regards your experience perhaps...but then there are more people in the world than percy toboggan...I realise that may come as a shock to you!:eek:

(and before you have a 'go' at me for personal insults..check your BNP thread where the only 'arguments' you have put up are to slag off Dehaviland and George Brims in quite personal ways...still if the ideas are lacking..!)
Goodness me.
You must live at your keyboard.
I'm usually done here after an hour or two ...I do have a life!
I suggest you attend to yours in your own way. The cross threading thing might catch on , particularly as you seem a tad screwed up.

karia
20-Feb-08, 20:14
I'm the same person on all of my threads Landm...oops percy!

And yes of course I must be 'screwed up' in your book...my opinions differ from yours which obviously means I must be quite mad.

Silly me!:roll:

rob16d
20-Feb-08, 20:23
Well....I'm 16...but I miss not having to worry about exams etc.

catnip
20-Feb-08, 21:01
The summers seemed to have lots of sunny days and warmth.
The winters seemed to have loads of snow.
You could play outside with no worries feeling safe.
You had no money problems or worries.
Seems so much like a different planet when you think back to how it was.

scorrie
21-Feb-08, 00:05
A lesson from my childhood:-

Four young boys cannot adopt two beautiful seagull chicks and hope to feed them adequately. Even though our "nest" was warm and safe, the perished bodies of the chicks were a brutal lesson that all young beings belong with their mother.

I suppose the beauty of the harshest message, is that it only needs to be told once.

justine
21-Feb-08, 00:12
I'm the same person on all of my threads Landm...oops percy!

And yes of course I must be 'screwed up' in your book...my opinions differ from yours which obviously means I must be quite mad.

Silly me!:roll:

We are on top form tonight my dear.....

I hope you are mad, otherwise that means i am sane..Scarey thought...:eek:

Margaret M.
21-Feb-08, 01:54
Mam's cooking -- everything she cooked was totally delicious. Her baking and homemade jams were out of this world. I have yet to taste a meal that could match anything she fixed. I am a good cook, not in her league by any means, but I need a recipe for a lot of stuff -- something she never used.

sassylass
21-Feb-08, 05:04
I miss how well my family understood each other. Often, a look, wink, or nod was all that was needed. Mr Sassy grew up in a different kind of family, so sometimes he only "gets it" with much explanation. I'm lucky, though, to still have my sister and friends with whom I share that unspoken communication.

I also miss working in the garden with my mother and sister, looking for 4 leaf clovers, weeding, watching the clouds change shape, we had many nice chats that way.

BRIE
21-Feb-08, 11:26
I miss playing in proper deep snow! when you used to be off school for a week until someone came to dig you out.
I miss holidays in Rhyl where my gran had a fish & chip shop.
& I miss nights by the fire with the whole family, that doesnt happen much now thanks to computers & game consoles.

bobbyrussell09
21-Feb-08, 11:45
i miss going round to all ma mate that lived round thistle park and playing footie an playing man hunt.those were the days

mccaugm
21-Feb-08, 12:30
Been thinking about this some more. I miss Christmas when I was little....the uunbearable excitement of waking up on Christmas morning to loads of presents. Being allowed to open just one present from under the tree after midnight mass. Going round to my grannys with numerous members of my extended family. I remember getting a "Sindy Doll", it said on the box that she was "poseable", I had no idea what this meant but it sounded very cool to the 7 year old me.

My hubby doesn't get this, as his family opened their presents as they arrived and didn't wait for the "big day". His extended family was so huge that they visited granny, family group by family group.

henry20
21-Feb-08, 12:40
I miss my granny. She lived 2 fields away from me and I spent a lot of time with her and she taught me so much! She spent a lot of time with me playing games and baking.

If I could travel back to an age in childhood, it would be to when I was 2 before my grandad died so that I could find out what he was like. After he died I spoke about him every day until I started school. I have no memory of him at all :(

tisme
21-Feb-08, 12:53
Mams treacle scones, flour scones and rock cakes!! I have NEVER been able to taste anything like it from any bakery. Nice and warm just oot the oven, god I can smell them.:~(

twiglet
21-Feb-08, 14:31
I miss spangles, yes I know you can still get em sometimes but where!

My childhood was unhappy and lonely but am making up for it now, realy couldn't wait to grow up and leave home. Miss being able to shut myself away for hours and read though. Just too much to do!

Sapphire2803
21-Feb-08, 16:50
i rember when the houses had no central heating and in the winter time there used to b frost on the inside of the sash an case windows its amazing how times have changed............................;)

Time's have only changed in our kitchen, hallway and bathroom (which has no radiator, brrr) The rest of our house has the original windows, so I'm currently reliving that one :lol:

I remember getting new plimsoles (or later, trainers) and thinking that I could run faster and jump higher etc...

Mind you I'd still try it when I get new trainers except that nowadays my knees would probably give way! Haha

I remember spending long summers damming up streams with stones, mud and sticks. I still do that with the kids whenever I get the chance.

karia
21-Feb-08, 16:54
I remember that getting new shoes was such an event that you put them on your bedside table so you could peek at them during the night and experience a renewed frisson of pleasure.:D

(I think it's highly possible Thumper might still do this!);)

teddybear1873
21-Feb-08, 17:04
Carol singers on your own street. Something you dont see much. Also it used to be a fight over when the xmas edition of the TV Times and Radio Times came out.

Highland Laddie
21-Feb-08, 18:05
It's a long time ago now,
But when i was young, yes there was no central heating, my mother would be standing at the bottom of the stairs shouting, it's 8:30 if you don't get out of that bed soon, your going to miss the school bus.

But Saturday and Sunday morning, i used to be up and out before 6 am to go work on the local farm, those are the times i miss now, but that also is going to change, i'm moving back to the country in 8 to 10 months time.

Ricco
21-Feb-08, 23:57
Amongst many things I miss the beautiful frost patterns on the window - on the inside! They were fascinating but I haven't seen any since I was a kid.

karia
22-Feb-08, 00:18
Amongst many things I miss the beautiful frost patterns on the window - on the inside! They were fascinating but I haven't seen any since I was a kid.

That's why you still have all your toes!;)

carasmam
22-Feb-08, 01:06
Mam's cooking -- everything she cooked was totally delicious. Her baking and homemade jams were out of this world. I have yet to taste a meal that could match anything she fixed. I am a good cook, not in her league by any means, but I need a recipe for a lot of stuff -- something she never used.

I'm trying to get mine to write recipes down for me. I'll phone her about something and she says "oh it's a wee handful o flour" or "a spooty o milk" well my hands must be a different size because it never turns out the same :eek: