PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shop / Ashley Anne's

ŠAmethyst
20-Feb-08, 14:51
Well, last night I arrived in Thurso for the first time in a looooooong time!

Driving past the old bike shop I was shocked to see that Ash Anns have moved in. My grandmother (the infamous You) has just informed me that there is no longer a bike shop... is this true and is there any other bike shops in the area that I could go and price a few things up in? Mitchell's store just outside Inverness on the way to Beauly is the one my friends go to for their stuff but I am aware that it's not the cheapest one around.

I'm going for my CBT on saturday and I'm getting a little kawasaki 125 soon, so thought I should go look at getting leathers and helmets etc between the two.

Any help would be much apprecated!

Thanks,
Ame

DeHaviLand
20-Feb-08, 15:09
Try AMS, Coach Road, Wick

riggerboy
20-Feb-08, 15:32
you would be better getting what you need online, as the prices up here are very high not any better than inverness

ŠAmethyst
20-Feb-08, 15:42
I have seen quite a few things I would like online - but nothing beats going into a store and meeting up with other bikers.

Quite often see folk I know in/around my local bike store lol... great fun!

Bikes aren't all about getting on the road and going from A to B... for me, there is a social aspect to it all, which is what I'm looking for when I'm buying my leathers/new parts.

If I do go towards wick, it'll probably be tomorrow, might pop round there. Unfortunately I don't have longer in Caithness, wish I did, though.

Solus
20-Feb-08, 16:16
I would not buy motorbike kit online unless you know for sure the kit will fit, helmets especially ! leathers I find tend to vary from maker to maker, some suits fit me fine others to short on the arms/ legs.

dragonfly
20-Feb-08, 16:22
brilliant service from AMS in Wick when I got my daughter kitted out for her moped - they have a range of clothes in stock. Very friendly people too

emszxr
20-Feb-08, 17:46
the bike show in edinburgh is coming up soon. weekend 8th and 9th of march. good day out. shall be taking a look at in myself

balto
20-Feb-08, 19:56
the people that had the bike shop where ashleys anns are now moved to inverness, so mayby you could track them down there.

northener
20-Feb-08, 20:38
Be careful about buying kit online, a lot of dealers won't take the lids back if you get the sizing wrong, it's a hygene thang apparently.

As Riggerboy says, you can get kit cheaper online but Solus is right about sizes, the difference between manufacturers' ideas on size are mind boggling.

Boozeburglar
20-Feb-08, 20:50
I agree generally about buying stuff online, but you can always use a real shop with knowledgeable staff you can talk to who happen to have mail order.

I don't know what size you are but I have a 'proper' heavy leather biker jacket that is hardly worn and it fits my wife well, who is a size 8/10.

In Inverness if you are interested in having a look.

:)

ŠAmethyst
23-Feb-08, 15:57
Will only buy online what seasoned bikers recommend to me. That's a given.

So they've moved to Inverness, does anyone know where as that is where I live :p

The more competition there is around here the better as far as I am concerned. Although it does seem a shame that lost of businesses are migrating south.

Btw, not that anyone cares but the CBT didn't go too well... Got blown off my bike by the gales lol.

Edit: I got the jacket lol... 8/10's a bit big on me though - I'm very ickle

Boozeburglar
23-Feb-08, 20:09
Crikey I can't believe any of the instructors would be doing CBTs in the wind today. Are you getting a free second go tomorrow?

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 15:14
The money I paid ensures that I'll be able to get my CBT, eventually lol.

I'm going back once the wind dies down and the pain in my back and leg has all gone. So eventually I'll be able to get it. Just don't know when.

Even I had my doubts about going on Saturday, but they didn't tell me that it was too windy, so I turned up and they went ahead with it anyway. Even my biker friends think that it was irresponsible of them. Oh well.