PDA

View Full Version : Working together to bring something new to the Community.

KCI
20-Feb-08, 14:18
Following on from Justine's thread, I would just be interested to know if anyone would consider becoming part of a group, to raise money and awareness, with the hope of creating something like a soft play area for the kids in Wick?

I had thought of starting a soft play area a while ago, but after looking into it, I realised I would never be able to afford it. I know other people around here have thought about it as well, but I don't think it ever came to anything.

If a group of people got together, to offer suggestions, raise money, try to find out about any funding available, maybe the idea could come to something, rather than an individual trying to do this.

The post by j4bberw0ck made me think - it seems that there is a lot of interest in starting something like this for kids around here, so maybe we should do something about it ourselves.

alistair harper
20-Feb-08, 22:22
dear kci

hi not trying to burst your bubble but i looked into this last year its not going to be easy. first you have to find premises.some landlords require 3 year lease, if you go to hie they will require you set up a buisness plan you have to prove you buisness is viable not just holidays but during the week. they can help with cost of equipment but not premises. working with kids you have your insurance,public insurance. paying wages and disclouser checks its a lot to do but if you get this up and running i wish you the best of luck

router
20-Feb-08, 23:05
Wouldnt it be nice then if a few local buinesses got together and created,say for talking sakes a sports complex with a kids play area,games hall maybe a roller and or skating rink,couple of squash courts, a gymnasium there are loads of disused building in Wick and the surrounding area that could be cleared for all these ,all it needs is cash and ambition...We got all the big shops in why not something other than goods to spend our money on.i am quite sure that the buisnesses investing the money would be happy with the returns even if it means just making lives of good caithness folk a lot more enjoyable and lives of the kids a lot more fun than few scantilly equipped swing parks and a swimming pool..

KCI
21-Feb-08, 00:13
Hi Ali,

I remember you checking this out a while ago on here, and I was keeping an eye on things, to see how you got on!

I also looked into this, as an individual project, but I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be achieved on your own. I think that is where we are all having problems. If we can work together, maybe it can be done.

The potential is there, and there is an interest within the community for this. We just need to work out how we can do it now!

I know all about disclosure checks, public liability insurance etc - I have them already.

It is a huge job, but if we could get a group of people together, maybe there's a chance?

We really could do with suggestions from the community, about what they would like to see. I think a lot of us would agree that something for children and young people would be ideal. Soft play area, cafe, games room, etc. Somewhere to hold kids Birthday parties, a place to take younger children during the day, older kids after school, somewhere for kids to hang out after school, evenings, weekends etc.

Come on - where is our community spirit? If we want something to happen around here, there's no point sitting around talking about it, and waiting for it to just happen. We need to get together, and make it happen.