PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Acoustic ponderisms

BigKev
20-Feb-08, 14:02
I am considering purchasing a semi-acoustic 6 string in the near future,

Its for perfoming like so it has to be of decent sound look, although i know nothing of acoustic pickup quality, or even good eq box manufacturers?

Im looking for something of good solid quality, not necessarily from a mainstream manufacturer,

Anybody got any sugestions or reccomendations?

Phoebus_Apollo
20-Feb-08, 14:31
A decent mid range acoustic I would recommend is the Ovation range with piezo electric pick-ups. The only down side is the back is quite large and stick out alot. A lot of people rave about the Taylor and Martin range of electro-acoustic but I think like BMW your just paying for the badge!

moncur
20-Feb-08, 17:56
Seagull guitars are a good make, and arent too hefty on price tag. As are washburns. Avoid Crafters, the necks are horrible to play. I personally dont like the ovation/ crafter bowlback style. Im also not a big fan of the yamaha style electro acoustics with the small body. I've always been a dreadnought man myself. Or get yourself an Eko off ebay cheap as chips and stick in a fishman piezo, really good tones with those guitars.

Boozeburglar
20-Feb-08, 21:56
http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm?fa=choosing

Ovation have made shallow bowls for a long, long time.

Taylor and Martin are exceptional guitars, absolutely living up to the hype.

Nothing at all to do with paying for a badge.

More information is needed really.

What is your approximate budget?

What style do you play?

How will you be amplifying it?

:)

BigKev
21-Feb-08, 13:44
More information:

Amplification will be either through my amp as it stands just now, or maybe straight thro pa, depending on circumstances.

as for sytel, thats a hard question. Never easy to answer i think. Will be used as part of a band with another guitarist, ill be playing rythm underneath most of the time, n maybe playing while singing.

A crap answer i know.....

but im not going to be pulling off twangy solos on it if u get what i mean.

probably willing to spend around 200 - 250 for a second hand guit.

moncur
21-Feb-08, 14:01
I would def recommend putting it through a DI box, much less hassle and the sound quality represents the actual sound quality of the guitar more easily, sounds more natural IMO.

Phoebus_Apollo
21-Feb-08, 14:14
With the budget of £200 - 250 an ovation would fall real nice into that range, they sound good though a decent amp but can be a bit "tinny" through a cheaper amp. Musical snobs may point towards a Taylor or Martin but for the type of playing you are doing it wouldn`t be a worthwhile investment.

Jeid
21-Feb-08, 15:42
Never been a bowl back fan. Washburn make good electro acoustics, you'd pick up a good one for that sort of price range Kev

moncur
21-Feb-08, 17:41
Never been a bowl back fan. Washburn make good electro acoustics, you'd pick up a good one for that sort of price range Kev

Amen to that!

theboss
21-Feb-08, 18:39
I would def recommend putting it through a DI box, much less hassle and the sound quality represents the actual sound quality of the guitar more easily, sounds more natural IMO.

Eh... I have a feeling that Kev probably knows that!

TBH
22-Feb-08, 21:12
I am considering purchasing a semi-acoustic 6 string in the near future,

Its for perfoming like so it has to be of decent sound look, although i know nothing of acoustic pickup quality, or even good eq box manufacturers?

Im looking for something of good solid quality, not necessarily from a mainstream manufacturer,

Anybody got any sugestions or reccomendations?Try a gibson ES335.