PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with it..?

justine
19-Feb-08, 15:31
Now if we imagine that we have been told that the area is to get given a 95m pound lottery win, What kind of things would you like to see brought into the area..
I could imagine something like a roller skating ring.One that can be used in the summer for roller skating, dancing, and the likes, and in the winter be turned into an ice skating rink,which then opens up things for the sports sector.ie ice hockey and the likes.

This is justy one example my list is long, but i am interested in the kind of things you would like to see not the things we have that need improving, we could do that with the interest on the 95m

Andrew C
19-Feb-08, 16:10
We could do with a soft play type of thing for kids.

justine
19-Feb-08, 16:20
We could do with a soft play type of thing for kids.

Good idea..I am sure the children could benefit from an adventure playground of some sort..
I came up to caithness nearly fouur yrs ago.In england we do have facilites for aprents and children alike to go...Run by sure start.They have a role for the children they support up here and i see no reason why the families cant have access to facilities that are available in england..It amazes me how they tell us to do this for our child, make sure we get them things to help them grow, but then they dont give them anything in return.Parents would achieve more with their families if they had palces to take their kids where they know it will be safe and secure...

There is a lot missibng for the community.I know it has probably been discussed before but this is just an imaginary thread for people to say what they would love to see.i am getting to serious.Forgive me..

northener
19-Feb-08, 17:26
Concrete, lots of it.

BRIE
19-Feb-08, 17:28
a friend of mine planned on opening a soft play area in wick but the insurance was ridiculous.
I agree that this is a great idea though, especially one with a cafe & that does birthday parties.
An indoor sports facility for the older kids would be good to with a climbing wall etc.

KCI
19-Feb-08, 18:00
A soft play area would be brilliant for kids - it is certainly something we need. I think a few people have looked into this before though, and it just doesn't seem to be possible here.

Anything for kids and young people would be great.

Personally, I would love to see some kind of shelter/home for stray cats and dogs. The local charities e.g. Caithness Cats Protection are doing a brilliant job, and without them I dread to think what would happen to the poor animals. But there is only so much they can do, and they don't receive any kind of government funding. Fundraising is OK, as long as you have the volunteers to help.

Scunner
19-Feb-08, 18:08
Buy all copies of the Big Issue in Caithness, and stop that woman pestering me at the Co-op

percy toboggan
19-Feb-08, 19:35
I thought the north of Scotland WAS an adventure playgorund ! ?

EDDIE
19-Feb-08, 20:03
i would probably give it to the public transport to make fairs cheaper for the young scots to keep rfr10 happy.

Highland Laddie
19-Feb-08, 21:18
Setup a vigilante group to catch all the drug selling maggots in the area.

justine
19-Feb-08, 23:24
Setup a vigilante group to catch all the drug selling maggots in the area.

They are called the police are they not....

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 23:26
Try to get some new industry here to create some new jobs.....to stop the "brain drain".

Highland Laddie
19-Feb-08, 23:35
They are called the police are they not....

Police have their hands tied with red tape,
a good kick in the place the sun don't shine is what's needed.

These drug selling maggots are the lowest of slime
selling misery to young folk that maybe know no better.and heartache to their poor parents.
I have reported them in the past, and would have absolutely no hesitation in doing so again.

j4bberw0ck
20-Feb-08, 00:22
A soft play area would be brilliant for kids

You don't need a lottery win for that. Just a group to do some fundraising, liaise with the Council, apply to the lottery or other grant-aid agencies for funds to top up, and get the order in.

I know it's much, much easier crossing numbers of a lottery ticket and hoping a lot, but the other way is much surer. A group of us here did it, though I admit it would have been easier on balance to write a cheque, having previously won £95 million.

Go on - don't just talk about how nice it'd be. Do something.

teddybear1873
20-Feb-08, 05:00
Thurso could do with a Red Light District. Would certainly make a few bob and could employ a few. Also a 50,000 seater stadium would be handy, for what i dont know but it would look nice. We could always lets Caithness and Sutherland Enterprise to decide on how it should be spent, Mmmmmmm maybe not. Give all the local Councilers a bonus they deserve (chuckle)

bobbyrussell09
20-Feb-08, 12:28
id some how convince david murray to sell rangers football club to me

TBH
20-Feb-08, 13:49
I thought the north of Scotland WAS an adventure playgorund ! ?It's a semi-retirement area.

Flair
20-Feb-08, 13:54
I have reported them in the past, and would have absolutely no hesitation in doing so again.

Did your reports actually achieve anything? Because if not there'd be no point in doing it again.

Highland Laddie
20-Feb-08, 13:58
Did your reports actually achieve anything? Because if not then there'd be no point in doing it again.

It sure did,

if you see something untoward going on, you can't turn a blind eye to it, or think someone else will do something about it, You have to do it.

justine
20-Feb-08, 14:02
i started this thread to find out what kind of things people would like brought to caithness, what you would like rid of.

We were told by someone 3 yrs ago that no-one had ambition up here and now i start to understand what they mean...This post has turned out to be less informative than i thought..Now i know why there is nothing up here for anyone...
J4bberw0ck is right we should be doing something to help change the community, thats what i started this thread for...

But i would not want to put many of the replies forward..Any sensible ones would be handy..

Free to choose but please be sensible...

Highland Laddie
20-Feb-08, 14:06
J4bberw0ck is right we should be doing something to help change the community, thats what i started this thread for...

But i would not want to put many of the replies forward..Any sensible ones would be handy..

Free to choose but please be sensible...

And you don't think getting rid of drug dealers out of the community is important or worthwhile !!!!

scorrie
20-Feb-08, 17:08
Police have their hands tied with red tape,
a good kick in the place the sun don't shine is what's needed.

These drug selling maggots are the lowest of slime
selling misery to young folk that maybe know no better.and heartache to their poor parents.

The problem that needs to be tackled is WHY people want to take drugs. I have no doubt that most, if not all, buyers know EXACTLY what they are buying and they actively seek out someone to purchase it from. You can arrest as many dealers as you want but someone will fill their shoes to fill the gap in the demand market.

Drug dealers are scum in my mind as well, but it seems all too often that they become the scapegoat for parents who would point the finger of blame, rather than delve deeper within for a reason as to why their child chose to take drugs.

It is the wider social problem that needs to be looked at. A good place to start would be to investigate the double standard as to why a drug like alcohol is legal, whilst other drugs are illegal. A recent Horizon program investigated the most dangerous drugs, and alcohol was surprisingly high on the list. Scientists had no hesitation in stating that alcohol would be a class A drug if it were invented today. How many people tell their kids to steer clear of drugs and then go on to tilt a half-bottle of Scotch down their neck that very night?

percy toboggan
20-Feb-08, 17:38
It's a semi-retirement area.

Then beam me up soonest :) (c.2016)
The retired can have adventures too I hope.

johno
20-Feb-08, 18:11
ach, i.ll just wait till i win it before i start worrying what to do with it. :cool:

bluebell
23-Feb-08, 03:03
Wick High School Special Unit would love a soft play area I'm sure! especially a ball pool:D

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 13:46
I'd buy a piece of land and run a boot sale on it every weekend in the summer. A proper boot sale (outdoor jumble sale) I keep seeing boot sales advertised and they're indoors. That's a JUMBLE SALE!!!
Ok, back to the question...
How about a small play area in each village? Nothing too fancy, even just some swings? Somewhere, you could wander down to with the kids and meet other parents.
A minibus service that covered the many roads that the buses don't go on. It could cover a different area each day. Have set stops and request stops. Yes I know there's dial a ride, but I'd make mine 50p or £1 a trip and do loads of fundraising to keep it going.

I'd hire some muscley blokes to make everyone who owns a building in the shopping area of Wick get in there and tidy them up. Get the grass out of the gutters, replace the broken windows and give them a fresh coat of paint.