PDA

View Full Version : Foosum!!!

daisie
19-Feb-08, 15:16
Hello I am new to this, so please be gentle with me. :D

I am doing some research into local dialects and have chosen the word "foosum" to look into further.

Would any of you kind people like to tell me your thoughts on the word, its usage, where you think it came from, and basically any memories of the word in use.

Any help greatly appreciated! :cool:

Buttercup
19-Feb-08, 15:27
Hi Daisie, wellcome to the org.
No idea how the word "foosum" came about, but still use it most days as do the rest of my family - all generations of them.
Used in place of: dirty, filthy, grubby etc.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
19-Feb-08, 15:31
i always associate foosum with working outside at tattie or helping with cattle when younger and coming in covered in gutters...... or especially foosum hands at the dinner table!!

Torvaig
19-Feb-08, 15:31
I tell my dog every day that he is a foosum peedie cratur, meaning dirty little creature. The word is in use every day in Caithness but maybe not so much among the younger generation. Don't know the origins of it I'm afraid...and welcome to the org Daisie....cheers. :)

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 15:38
I was always under the impression that it was an oblique reference to David Grohl, the dirty old beardy.

Welcome to the .Org!

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 15:41
I tell my dog every day that he is a foosum peedie cratur, meaning dirty little creature.

Is this on professional advice?

I may try it, yesterday they had their snouts in the guts of a roe deer that had met a train on the Aberdeen line...

:)

golach
19-Feb-08, 16:40
The Org has all the answers

http://www.caithness.org/dialect/

wifie
19-Feb-08, 23:04
Hey daisie - welcome - and thanks for choosing one of my favourite caithness words!!! Sorry not much help on the origin though!

Torvaig
19-Feb-08, 23:11
Is this on professional advice?

I may try it, yesterday they had their snouts in the guts of a roe deer that had met a train on the Aberdeen line...

:)

BB, though I tell him that everyday it makes no difference. If he finds a deid yowe or fish on the seashore he's in it! Yours are obviously used to better things; dining on venison rather than mutton.......:lol:

spurtle
19-Feb-08, 23:32
Hey daisie - welcome - and thanks for choosing one of my favourite caithness words!!! Sorry not much help on the origin though!

Try the perfectly serviceable English word "fulsome" - dictionary definition
cloying, excessive, disgusting by excess - could 'fussom' be our version?

Metalattakk
20-Feb-08, 00:06
Seems it's very possible that it could come from the same root: Foul-some.

DSL - DOST Fowsum, a. Also: fow-, fousome.
[Var. of Fulsum a. Cf. Fow a.] 1. = Foulsum a.
The habit of his body was richt fowsum; Bell. Livy I. 166/26.
The twa bredir … be fowsum flytingis lichtlying vtheris; Boece ii. xii. 82 b.
Ane fowsum appetyte, That strenth of persoun waikis; Scott. xxxiv. 13.
Swa all his fowsome forme thairto effeiris; Polwart Flyt. 593 (T).
2. Cloying, causing distaste.
They … thought it meittest to tak tyme to mollefie and moyen maters, lest they sould grow fousome at the first; Melvill 441.

Damn links won't work. Hing on...search for "Foulsum" here. Meh. :(

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

Nup, it doesn't like to be hotlinked at all.

Dusty
20-Feb-08, 10:45
I can still hear my Dad telling us kids that we had wasted our thruppence buying that "foosom trock".

silverfox57
20-Feb-08, 10:53
hi daisie hope you enjoy the org ,as being born an bred in caithness ,the word foosum means un -clean,

bobbyrussell09
20-Feb-08, 13:12
welcome to the org.wish i could help out

daisie
20-Feb-08, 15:26
Thank you everyone this is great!!!

south view 7
20-Feb-08, 15:43
Ah yes a great week word as used in "at scooreenclootsfoosum"

Lavenderblue2
20-Feb-08, 15:53
You are right Spurtle and Metalattack - taken from 'The Caithness Book' 1972 by Donald Omand

Foosim : filthy, fulsome.

I think it's a great word - I use it often.

Dreich is another of my favorites.

LB

thebigman
20-Feb-08, 16:20
It's the Caithness version of boggin or manky.

Angela
20-Feb-08, 21:08
Daisie, welcome to the Org! :)

I was brought up to say 'foosty' which I'd think must surely have the same origin, though we use it mostly for things like old, stale, mouldy food....e.g. 'aw no, that bread's gone right foosty' :eek:

rob16d
20-Feb-08, 21:12
I was brought up with FOOSUM BRUTE! haha!

WeeBurd
20-Feb-08, 21:50
Brilliant word - very descriptive I think, with added comedy value just because of the way it sounds! Even my 3yr old has been known to use it, particularly in reference to the dog <nod to Torvaig>, or if she's been playing in the garden with her sister [lol].

It also bring me back to my childhood and been referred to as a "foosum gomrel" (as a term of endearment I think, lol!) by my Grandparents. That phrase still makes me smile!:D