PDA

View Full Version : bebo

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:11
hi how many orgers have a page on bebo and if you do how annoying are you finding it at the moment it is so slow seems to be since they added all those extra applications, think i might end up going crazy if it doesnt improve:confused:confused

Ash
19-Feb-08, 15:14
they uploaded a message saying they were sorry its slow and saying its not the apps thing

justine
19-Feb-08, 15:14
Not me no interest in that.My daughter had one but the filthy language and abuse they recieved was enough for me to close there accounts..

Should be thrown away that site. nothing but trouble..

Ash
19-Feb-08, 15:16
Not me no interest in that.My daughter had one but the filthy language and abuse they recieved was enough for me to close there accounts..

i have a bebo page, i like it, i keep in touch with friends through it, although i keep my page private, i dont agree with people who let young kids use bebo

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:17

aye you get that on every social network some idiots who think it is there just for them to abuse, i have never had a problem like that neither have my daughters as their pages are closly monitered by me.

KCI
19-Feb-08, 15:25
I use Bebo as a way of keeping in touch with friends who all live in different places, so I don't get to see them much.

As long as you are sensible with the site, it is fine. My page is Private, and I don't have that many friends on it, so it's OK.

Bebo is really slow at the moment - an indication of it's popularity I suppose.

scorrie
19-Feb-08, 15:27
I don't know about anyone else, but I see Bebo as heaven for identity theft sharks. The amount of personal information given out must be a joy for potential crooks. e.g. Oh, I'm 23 and this is the photos of me on my birthday Aug 16th or whatever. Another thing that makes me laugh is that some people have, like, 400 "friends" listed. One day they might realise you are lucky to have a handful of true friends in this life.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
19-Feb-08, 15:29
yeah my bebo page is private too -its great if youre that bit older (well only 24)....but younger ones seems to be pestering each other and that - I just use it for getting crack with old school and uni pals and that and folk that dont e-mail too much ...its quixck and easy - plus i like that you can share photos and that!!!

They do have a no under 14 policy i think - but very hard to police!!

saxovtr
19-Feb-08, 15:30
am i the only person with my bebo page going fine n fast loooooooool

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:31
there is nothing on bebo that says you have to give your real information i know for one i dont, as with everything else you just cant be to careful, my god my kids started a page for the cat and i doubt anyone will want to take a loan/credit card in her name.[lol][lol]

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:33
am i the only person with my bebo page going fine n fast looooooooolmy god you are lucky, it was ok this morning but trying to upload photos is proving to be a painful job even sending comments today is taking forever:mad::mad:

justine
19-Feb-08, 15:36
i have a bebo page, i like it, i keep in touch with friends through it, although i keep my page private, i dont agree with people who let young kids use bebo

Just to clear a point i did not knowthat my daughter, who was 17 at the time she told me about it had one. She opened it up whilst in college.When i did find out and realised what kind of things can happen i stopped it.My younger daughters dont have access to bebo so i am safe with them..

Plus i was under the impression that it was aimed at teenagers, but it now seems to vary for all ages, which i personally can casue conflict in its self.It opened up a world where sicko's can just browse pages and look at young teens..I could not believe it when isaw some of the things that appear on that site..As a parent of a teen and younger children, i want to make sure that they are safe and secure in what they do.My oldest daughter had mentioned last night that something was written to the effect of How to commit suicide in fourteen different ways. It is a tragedy that 14 teens have commited suicide, whilst all knowing eachother on their bebo site, but then someone is allowed to put other teens at risk but witing that on there.Yes i have a problem with this site.Maybe because i am a protective mother.I want them to experience life but safely..
I dont doubt that lots have fun and enjoy it but i am sure that alot of misery has come from it aswell...

DarkAngel
19-Feb-08, 15:37
Ive also got a babo page but it wont let me sign in for some strange reason...

Must be havin problems!!

Grr...

I Love bebo!!!!

Ash
19-Feb-08, 15:38
Just to clear a point i did not knowthat my daughter, who was 17 at the time she told me about it had one. She opened it up whilst in college.When i did find out and realised what kind of things can happen i stopped it.My younger daughters dont have access to bebo so i am safe with them..

oh im not having ago, ive seen people let 7year old kids on it which i think is so stupid

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:39
lots of kids i know have a page some as young as 6 their pages are closely watched by their parents and are private, my daughters are 8 and 10 and they love their bebo pages it is a great way to speak to their friends online and i know they are safe, if there was a risk to them i would not of allowed them to do it

saxovtr
19-Feb-08, 15:39
my god you are lucky, it was ok this morning but trying to upload photos is proving to be a painful job even sending comments today is taking forever:mad:

hehe i uploaded 37photos this morning,added 9videos,only made my bebo up sunday and it seems to be working fine lol alot of people are complaining its slow but mines as quick as ever ;)

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:41
well heres hoping it remains that way for you, i normally dont have a problem with it but i think it is proving so popular causing it to run slowly.

justine
19-Feb-08, 16:00
oh im not having ago, ive seen people let 7year old kids on it which i think is so stupid

I do agree,unless they are carefully monitored, which any sensible parent would do..Its the ones that have access to it freely, scares me.I feel like a lonely moaner on here,but i just dont agree with it, but you all sound sound like you enjoy it so i will leave it to you..Sorry if i put a downer on it...:(;)

Buttercup
19-Feb-08, 16:08

Plus i was under the impression that it was aimed at teenagers, but it now seems to vary for all ages, which i personally can casue conflict in its self.It opened up a world where sicko's can just browse pages and look at young teens..I could not believe it when isaw some of the things that appear on that site..As a parent of a teen and younger children, i want to make sure that they are safe and secure in what they do.My oldest daughter had mentioned last night that something was written to the effect of How to commit suicide in fourteen different ways. It is a tragedy that 14 teens have commited suicide, whilst all knowing eachother on their bebo site, but then someone is allowed to put other teens at risk but witing that on there.Yes i have a problem with this site.Maybe because i am a protective mother.I want them to experience life but safely..
I dont doubt that lots have fun and enjoy it but i am sure that alot of misery has come from it aswell...

Personally I haven't read much about this as I wasn't particularly interested enough and what follows is my only my opinion with which everyone will not agree.
It's not at all surprising that they knew each other on their Bebo site as they were all from the same area and of the same age, weren't they? If you go and ask any class of teenagers who's on their Bebo as friends the majority of names will be schoolmates. You can't seriously blame Bebo because 14 kids deciding to commit suicide, can you? Was Bebo really the only connection between all of them?
As I've said I'm not that clued up on these cases but I stand to be corrected if wrong.

paris
19-Feb-08, 16:14
Ive got bebo , not bad and easy to keep in touch with friends, saying that i haven't been on for a while, will have a visit later. jan x

justine
19-Feb-08, 16:14
Personally I haven't read much about this as I wasn't particularly interested enough and what follows is my only my opinion with which everyone will not agree.
It's not at all surprising that they knew each other on their Bebo site as they were all from the same area and of the same age, weren't they? If you go and ask any class of teenagers who's on their Bebo as friends the majority of names will be schoolmates. You can't seriously blame Bebo because 14 kids deciding to commit suicide, can you? Was Bebo really the only connection between all of them?
As I've said I'm not that clued up on these cases but I stand to be corrected if wrong.

I am not blaming the bebo site for what they did, but allowing someone to post a joke on it so others can read it, yes i have to It is down to the site owners and mods to make sure that the children are ssafe and dont come face to face with that...
What happened to these teens we will never know, and to be honest i think it better left alone, to the parents who have to deal with it,we will forget only if it is alowed to sleep and not have jokes made about it..What a world we live in.

As for it being the only connection, i doubt that.They all lived in the same area, all about the same age so i think it goes deeper than that.There is not wrong or right opnion on things we have no knowledge of.Me included i just know what i have read in the news...

As we speak they ahve just discovered another dead teen in bridgend.suicide suspected...

scorrie
19-Feb-08, 16:42
there is nothing on bebo that says you have to give your real information i know for one i dont, as with everything else you just cant be to careful, my god my kids started a page for the cat and i doubt anyone will want to take a loan/credit card in her name.[lol][lol]

Hilarious about the cat with the credit card. The fact remains that people should be careful with their information. You were simply Balto to me, but I now have your name, date of birth, ages of your kids, I know where you work, could probably find both where you live and your phone number quite easily

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues:-

"Let's be careful out there"

Buttercup
19-Feb-08, 17:06
Apologies if I read you wrong Justine, I must've misunderstood you.

I just don't see how a website can be blamed when one person writes something that others then take literally. Put simply, it's like saying that someone on the org wrote that it was going to be a nice sunny day and when we all go out and get soaked to the skin we then blame the org. :roll: Do we do that? ~ No we blame the person that wrote it. So why is Bebo blamed for everything that's written there? It appears to me that it's because it's relatively new in the same way that not too long ago TV, films and video games were getting the brunt of it when anything bad happened. There always was and always will be people who take things too far/too literally but the majority of us have minds of our own and are (hopefully) more sensible.
Anyone who has a Bebo open to the world leaves themselves open for comments and that is up to them. However, I do think that kids Bebo's should be private, but having said that, are they not just writing what they normally discuss face to face anyway? Sometimes I think adults can be a bit blind as to just what kids do talk about.:eek:

justine
19-Feb-08, 17:17
i understand what you are saying buttercup.We cant blame the sight for peoples mistakes and their actions, but it could prevent people posting about it in a joke..

I know children speak about different things, most of which they do talk about face to face, but i know that my daughter and a couple of her friends were subjected to the kind of language most adults would be offended by, and these words come from other children.No one is saying it is a bad bad place but there is alot going on that most people would find offensive.I am sure there are thousands of people who have nothing but pleasant experiences but there are a few that dont. Who is to protect them..the parents and the sight owners me thinks...

floyed
19-Feb-08, 17:32

I told agree i had an account but dont bother with it anymore, everyone knows your business. The things that people put on.. i could tell you what the girl over the road is wearing, what she had for breakfast, who she is going out with at the weekend and where she is going its rediculous.

emszxr
19-Feb-08, 17:41
i know a family that have a 9 year old girl and her page is public yet the mothers is private, absolutely terrible.

cd1977
19-Feb-08, 17:47
It's maybe a good way of saying "look at me, aren't I great!"

Apart from that it is utterly pointless.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer proper human contact with real people.

balto
19-Feb-08, 17:55
i know a family that have a 9 year old girl and her page is public yet the mothers is private, absolutely terrible.
that is terriable my girls pages and my own are private as anyone can go on and take your photos regardless if you have your albums locked, there was a while that there was some people on pinching photos of kids and putting them on different bebo pages i will let you use your imagination as to why they were doing this.

mums angels
19-Feb-08, 18:28

First of all Ash people can view your page if they are members of the same groups/bands etc your page is not completley private as i can view it and i'm not on your bebo friend list, just thought i'd let you know incase you wern't aware of this and would rather remain completly private :D.

As for young children using it , bebo is completley safe as long as you don't abuse it or let random people view your page . My 9 year old daughter along with half her class etc has a bebo page , she is COMPLETLY private ( no groups etc) and it is well regulated by myself on a regular daily basis . i thought long and hard before deciding to let her have one and i do not count myself as stupid , i am well aware of what can go on through the internet and i would rather her on bebo that can be private and regulated than on chat rooms and MSN .

however do agree that some kids out there are obvioulsy not been checked up on by there parents etc but then thats the parents fault not bebos IMO.

Ash
19-Feb-08, 18:31
[quote=mums angels;342257]First of all Ash people can view your page if they are members of the same groups/bands etc your page is not completley private as i can view it and i'm not on your bebo friend list, just thought i'd let you know incase you wern't aware of this and would rather remain completly private :D.

ok i did not that, hmmm not happy now

mums angels
19-Feb-08, 18:35
[quote=mums angels;342257]First of all Ash people can view your page if they are members of the same groups/bands etc your page is not completley private as i can view it and i'm not on your bebo friend list, just thought i'd let you know incase you wern't aware of this and would rather remain completly private :D.

ok i did not that, hmmm not happy now

just remove your groups etc and you will be then completly private , unfortunatly its not common knowledge i wrote to bebo to ask how people were managing to view my page and that was the reply i got so thats why i make sure my daughter doesn't join groups etc .

Ash
19-Feb-08, 18:43
[quote=Ash;342260]

just remove your groups etc and you will be then completly private , unfortunatly its not common knowledge i wrote to bebo to ask how people were managing to view my page and that was the reply i got so thats why i make sure my daughter doesn't join groups etc .

thank you, im tryin to think who you are now lol

mums angels
19-Feb-08, 18:47
[quote=mums angels;342263]

thank you, im tryin to think who you are now lol

LOL we don't actually know each other personally hence why not on friends list but came across you in the friends of friends list.:lol: we know a few of same people . if it makes you feel any better your photos are private so its only your cartoonizer and your profile pic thats open to anyone other than direct friends :D

Ash
19-Feb-08, 18:48
[quote=Ash;342268]

LOL we don't actually know each other personally hence why not on friends list but came across you in the friends of friends list.:lol: we know a few of same people . if it makes you feel any better your photos are private so its only your cartoonizer and your profile pic thats open to anyone other than direct friends :D

haha ok, glad pics are private, thanks for letting me know

NLP
19-Feb-08, 23:53
My page is also private, some days I have trouble getting on and then it's so slow I just log out, it was far better before they changed it.

j4bberw0ck
20-Feb-08, 00:28
Best use of Bebo / Facebook and other sites is employers checking up on job applicants.

Finding photos of people slumped drunk (or stoned) and insensible on a street somewhere because they were stupid enough to think what they were doing was coowell and should be publicised, has prevented many employers from making job offers to otherwise promising applicants, it seems.

One day the message will get through. The trick is in NOT shooting yourself in the foot :lol: .

bobbyrussell09
20-Feb-08, 12:51
im the same i have found it to b slow to .when i go onto a friends its really slow as they have a lot off apps on there page