PDA

View Full Version : North Air Passengers See 4% Rise But Wick Sees Fall

riggerboy
19-Feb-08, 15:04
is it any wonder, the prices they charge are crazy, went to buy a 1 way ticket they wanted £150 from wick to aberdeen, whats that all about,
aberdeen to spain £69, go figure that 1 out,

saxovtr
19-Feb-08, 15:34
lol thats rediculous,you cant even justify it!!! no wonder there is a fall in % of people using that route lol

riggerboy
19-Feb-08, 16:04
just checked 1 way aberdeen to wick £179,
i remember getting a flyer through the door asking about the flights, saying they were going to be about £120 return also there would be 4 cheap seats, i spoke to loads o boys that work offshore and the reply was the same all over, £120 return we`ll all be there, the flight would be fill everyday, instead of the plane leaving with only 2 people on it

saxovtr
19-Feb-08, 16:18
a few boys i ken leave there cars in ness,get the train to aberdeen and the company refunds that money,the hell if id be paying 100 odd quid 1way,it would cost less driving a subaru impreza there and back looooooooooool

northener
19-Feb-08, 17:19
Well, I don't know how many offshore guys you know, but nearly all the ones I know already use the flights. So no room for take-up there.

You can't compare flights to Spain or wherever to internal routes, it doesn't add up.

We used to fly from Wick to Sumburgh, that flight was binned, so was the one to Kirkwall. To me, you can only get people on flights if there is a local market for it. I was convinced that Shetland was a viable link - BA say no.

riggerboy
19-Feb-08, 17:40
Well, I don't know how many offshore guys you know, but nearly all the ones I know already use the flights. So no room for take-up there.

You can't compare flights to Spain or wherever to internal routes, it doesn't add up.

We used to fly from Wick to Sumburgh, that flight was binned, so was the one to Kirkwall. To me, you can only get people on flights if there is a local market for it. I was convinced that Shetland was a viable link - BA say no.

i know over 60 lads working offshore,from thurso and wick thats just from 1 company, dont know about others but i know only of 2 men using the flight,

northener
19-Feb-08, 17:47
i know over 60 lads working offshore,from thurso and wick thats just from 1 company, dont know about others but i know only of 2 men using the flight,

Then they're not working for the right companies!;)

saxovtr
19-Feb-08, 18:30
Then they're not working for the right companies!;)

you mean there not stupid enough to pay those prices[lol]

northener
19-Feb-08, 18:36
you mean there not stupid enough to pay those prices[lol]

It's all relevant Saxo, if you're on a good salary then the flight isn't a big deal.

riggerboy
19-Feb-08, 19:09
It's all relevant Saxo, if you're on a good salary then the flight isn't a big deal.

45k a year and still they wont pay stupid prices, i for 1 drive as i dont believe in just throwing money at a flight for the sake of it, 4 hour drive costing £25 against £150 to £179 think i will carry on driving, i think its the typical north of scotland rip off, wanna fly pay the high price,

northener
19-Feb-08, 20:19
45k a year and still they wont pay stupid prices, i for 1 drive as i dont believe in just throwing money at a flight for the sake of it, 4 hour drive costing £25 against £150 to £179 think i will carry on driving, i think its the typical north of scotland rip off, wanna fly pay the high price,

Fair comment Riggerboy, but your point was that the fares were extortionate compared to European flights.
I think that they are too high as well, but you will never get the fares that you can buy to the Continent because the airlines would never get enough arses on seats to make it worthwhile. That's why the prices are high.

Couple this with the fact that it is companies that tend to fork out for the majority of places on flights - not individuals - and the reasons for offering cut-price deals to Joe Public evaporate rather quickly.

Like I said, I used to fly from Wick to Sumburgh and was really hacked off when BA binned the flight. But, if it ain't viable, they aren't under any obligation to provide a service at a loss. - Would you?

dessie
19-Feb-08, 20:47
you can fly return from inverness to bristol for about 60 quid...

teddybear1873
19-Feb-08, 21:05
Yep. Flight prices are weird to say the least. My fiance was going to fly from New York to London for $480 then found out she could get a price for $575 New York to Wick and thats return flights. Really strange if you ask me.

Thumper
19-Feb-08, 21:19
Dont know if it still applies but a few years ago if you worked offshore and booked flights through arcade travel you got a discount,sorry I cant remember how much it was tho! x

northener
19-Feb-08, 21:20
you can fly return from inverness to bristol for about 60 quid...

True.

How many people live in Inverness and how big is the tourist industry compared to Wick?

Riffman
19-Feb-08, 21:36
Consider the cost of running aircraft I am truely amazed that fares are under £500 for ANY flight.

Take you £69 flight to spain. Most like will be an Airbus A320, which cost a mere £30 million on a good day. Don't forget to fill up with Jet A1 fuel at a cost of 30p/litre for about 11,000 litres you will need to spain.

In cattle class you will get 150 people on board.

Fuel bill = £3300
Fares (150 * 69) = £10350

Total left after fuel = £7050

Landing fees = £1000

That leaves £6050

Staff wages (pilots £200, cabin crew £100)

So far leaves £5750

Capital cost of aircraft spread over 10 years at average 4 flights a day = roughly 14400 flights , £30,000,000 / 14400 = £2083 / flight

So Net total (before maintainance fees) of £3,667 profit.

Which works out at £24 / person.

------------------

But, that is assuming the aircraft is worked at full capacity every daty for 10 years. For small aircraft going to Wick and such like the operating costs are FAR FAR higher.

The fuel alone is 44p/l compared to 30p/litre.

Kevin Milkins
20-Feb-08, 00:10
On that note I will never complain about the price of a flight and I might even tip the cabin crew and pilot