PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft activity

Don Quixote
19-Feb-08, 09:29
Did anyone else notice the high level of aircraft activity last night in the Shebster/Reay area? There seemed to be a lot of planes and helicopters overhead - and when I looked out of the window I saw three helicopters passing quite close to my house heading towards the coast.

Is there a naval exercise going on?

pat
19-Feb-08, 10:40
Yes there has been one ongoing for a few days now and I believe will continue for a few more days, thin it is about another ten days.
Military helicopters over in Stornoway over a week ago, military aircraft over frequently past two weeks - check the low level flying schedule (cannot find my link to it at the moment!)

badger
19-Feb-08, 10:49
Think there was another advance warning about this on the front page the oher day. Anyway, here's the link http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/AirSafetyandAviation/LowFlying

superted
19-Feb-08, 10:50
There's a big night exercise flying out of RAF Kinloss. Thusrday will be the last evening they are flying.

Don Quixote
19-Feb-08, 12:58
Thank you very much for your replies - much appreciated.

WeeBurd
19-Feb-08, 20:18
I thought my days were numbered last night when a blacked out chopper suddenly appeared above the house, hotly pursued by another one which was lit like a Christmas tree :eek:! [para]

JAWS
20-Feb-08, 04:29
People travel for miles and pay good money to see Air Displays and we get them on our doorsteps for free. Can't be bad.

northener
20-Feb-08, 11:00
All we need to do now is convince the Royal Navy to do their gunfire support excercises around Noss Head and we'd have a free firework display as well!

Who needs Bonfire Night? The real thing's much better:D

Sapphire2803
20-Feb-08, 13:29
All we need to do now is convince the Royal Navy to do their gunfire support excercises around Noss Head and we'd have a free firework display as well!

Who needs Bonfire Night? The real thing's much better:D

If the Navy are looking for targets, I've got a load of fuschia bushes I want removed.
I did threaten the fuschias with dynamite, but they obviously knew I was bluffing..... That'd show em!

northener
20-Feb-08, 14:14
If the Navy are looking for targets, I've got a load of fuschia bushes I want removed.
I did threaten the fuschias with dynamite, but they obviously knew I was bluffing..... That'd show em!

During the Falklands war the SAS had forgotten to pack their secateurs and had to call in Naval Gunfire Support on a rather stubborn Clematis....

....the Clematis is still there but the houses around it no longer exist:eek:

rainbow
20-Feb-08, 14:51
Flew back from Aberdeen last night and it was not the usual run of the mill flight. Came in over Lybster (I think) then right inland NW to Watten, then into Wick. Depending on the wind direction, the plane can land from the West, but usually in this case they only fly inland at Thrumster, then circle into Wick. I have never been so far inland. We also changed altitude numerous times, and went into tight turns several times - must have been to avoid the low flying planes????
All I can say is it was a shame it wasn't day light as the views from the plane would have been wonderful.