PDA

View Full Version : What would you advocate?

Kenn
19-Feb-08, 01:33
There have recently been several items about the need to increase tourism in the county.
Now whilst I appreciate that as far as most of Britain knows, nothing exists north of Inverness I think those that post here know what a falacy that is.
Whilst when north I have no problem finding things to do and places to go, what do you think should be done to advertise the county and it's attractions or are you quite happy to keep it a quiet secret?

Anne x
19-Feb-08, 01:57
Lizz I would advertise it again and again its not Sutherland with its lush trees and greenery (then I am biast )
but climb that road from Helmsdale to Navidale the scenery then oer the ord to Berriedale down by Dunbeath , Latheron and it gets breathtaking every inch of the way the sea views and the coast
turn off Causemire into Spittal on to Georgemas into Thurso then the views are awesome of Dunnet Head and Orkney on a clear day
travel round after that and you will find spectacular views which ever road you choose to travel North South East or West or over on the ferry to Orkney
but then that was not the question there is so many places to go Forse Mill, Westerdale , Spittal Quarries etc etc all pretty special

Sapphire2803
19-Feb-08, 10:03
As I've said before, how about a picnic area at John O'Groats? Nothing flash, just a wooden fence around it to save peoples pieces being blown to Orkney.

I think we could learn a lot from Orkney, as we speak I'm sure they're gearing up for the tourist season.

The broch at Auckengill would be a lot more impressive if it was cleared a bit. The Monument there is fantastic. How about building a replica broch to show people how it would've looked?

As you say, the scenery here is fantastic. How about a coastal path from Wick to John O'Groat's? A bit like the one that passes land's end?

Information is the key to start with though. When I first moved here, I was working my way round trying to see as much as possible, but you only really have the road signs to go on. It feels like the attitude here is 'Well you're the tourist, we've loads of great stuff, but you'll have to find it yourself!'

I'm not surprised lots of people just pass through :(

Anyhoo! More benches outside shops on the A99, sell them a cup of tea, show them some hospitality. Tell them about the area. Show them how friendly Caithness is, get them to slow down and notice the scenery. That would be a start.

Cattach
19-Feb-08, 10:26
There have recently been several items about the need to increase tourism in the county.
Now whilst I appreciate that as far as most of Britain knows, nothing exists north of Inverness I think those that post here know what a falacy that is.
Whilst when north I have no problem finding things to do and places to go, what do you think should be done to advertise the county and it's attractions or are you quite happy to keep it a quiet secret?

It is a very big job to convince people that the north is worth visiting. Every area of our media works against us - even the weather forecaster. For instance just a day or so ago the forecaster said that the temperature range would be between 6 and 8 degrees and completely ignored those temperature 'bubbles' in the north and west showing 9 and 10 degrees. This is just one area where the national media makes our conditions look worse than they really are.
Regarding the view that nothing exists north of Inverness, you are really in error - the people who rule our country think there is nothing north of Watford. The new Scottish Parliament has not helped with its West of Scotland Mafia thinking the country stops at Stirling.

Sapphire2803
19-Feb-08, 11:36
I think the trick would be to grab the attention of the land's end to john o'groats peeps :)

They're here anyway, show them that there's more here than the end of the road, if we do it right, they'll tell their friends...

Kenn
19-Feb-08, 12:23
Good idea Saphire about a coastal path, whilst there are several stretches that do have limited access a continous path would be a real selling point even if it has to move off the coast where there are dangerous sections.
You mentioned the one that runs around Cornwall, this has been in existence for some years now and was largely made possible because so much of the coastal strip belongs to The National Trust and not individual landowners.
I am also in agreement that some thing needs to be done about John O' Groats, appart from the stunning sceenery, the ferry and the wild life trips there is very little to recommend what should be a major tourist attraction.
I have also been surprised that there is not more activity at Wick and Scrabster harbours for the tourists, yes you can book fishing trips but what about sight seeing ones?
With regard to the ancient and not so ancient monuments again there seems to be very little information and we have been directed to many places by the locals rather than The Tourist Board.
One of my recommendations would be The Ranger Station at Dunnet Bay. very friendly and helpful but sadly only open for limited hours as is The Heritage Centre at Wick.
Perhaps as I am an all year visitor and not a high summer one I am missing out on some of these atractions but even when I am north in January we seem to find others that too have come north for the peace and tranquility.

Sapphire2803
19-Feb-08, 13:20
My favourite for information is Dunnet Head, You see a big sign that says Tourist Information (or something similar) so you walk up to where the sign points, looking for a little hut or some such and you find a box! Problem with Dunnet head is that on a breezy day it takes at least two people to open that box and get a leaflet out :eek: and when you do, it's mostly stuff about the west coast and central scotland.

Mind you, there's a rusting Morris Marina in a shed up there that could be a tourist exhibit itself :lol: