PDA

View Full Version : big issue

kingkeithy84
19-Feb-08, 01:07
i am sick of going into that co-op and being asked to buy the big issue by the foreign girl outside. does any one else think she needs to be moved from there? she does my head in! i am sure she must irritate other people who go into the co-op on daily basis.

Venture
19-Feb-08, 01:13
Complain to the Co-op and say you'll take your custom elsewhere. I always say I have one and that shuts her up.

Fran
19-Feb-08, 03:04
Did you read an article in the paper a COUPLE OF DAYS AGO THAT A MAN SELLING THE ISSUE IN A SMALL TOWN IN SCOTLAND WAS MAKING ABOUT £400 PER week!!! nOW WHERE CAN i GET A PILE OF tHE iSSUE TO SELL..........

gemma89
19-Feb-08, 03:27
I dnt mind buyin the big issue.... bt i cnt b bthrd wit them pesterin u especially wen ther standin in th best of gear outside th supermarket!![mad]

Is th big issue nt supposd t be 4 homeless ppl?

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 03:57
This has all been done to death before.

Why does it bother you all so much? Have you not got the guts to just say no? Does it really spoil your whole day?

What has it got to do with her being foreign?

gemma89
19-Feb-08, 04:06
it may hav all been sed b4 but new people do join th org - i may not be new but havnt postd much in th forums...

if u dnt lyk th topic why join in?

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 04:11
Mmmmhhhhh.

That would make a fascinating message board, would it not?

Only join in a thread if you happen to agree.

Yes, what a time-saving idea!

Wait, I think I can improve on that further...

How about none of us post anything? Nothing will need agreement or otherwise!

Spiffing!

:)

gemma89
19-Feb-08, 04:15
all i was tryin to say ws tht new ppl dnt rele want t go bk thru th posts t c if the topic has cme up b4 now.... do they?:rolleyes:

bt not sayn nythin sounds gud!

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 04:57
I agree, but it was not the main thrust of my initial post to complain that the subject was raised previously.

Referring to the fact it had all been done to death before was not all I said, but it might prompt someone to do a search and check what was said previously if they so wished.

I realise some subjects will appear regularly, and it would ruin the spontaneity of the board to always have to dig for previous references to something you wish to discuss.

maidencaithness
19-Feb-08, 09:32
Complain to the Co-op and say you'll take your custom elsewhere. I always say I have one and that shuts her up.
They have asked her to move her on but as the pavement belongs to the council there isn't much the Co- op can do maybe you should take the complaint to the council.

Venture
19-Feb-08, 09:59
Anytime I have seen her in the Co-op she is sitting on the seat inside.

feefee
19-Feb-08, 10:06
i have seen her and she spends the money on the lottery she also handed an old lady a copy the lady thanked her then she started to hassle her for money . i am all for helping people but she is way to pushy . the only ones that can move her is police . its a crying shame that many people feel very uncomfortable because of her being there maybe if she wasnt so pushy the folk of caithness would buy from her :roll:

Cattach
19-Feb-08, 10:18
all i was tryin to say ws tht new ppl dnt rele want t go bk thru th posts t c if the topic has cme up b4 now.... do they?:rolleyes:

The problem I have with threads is trying to read the sort of claptrap that is presented here as the English Language. Elsewhere in this thread unfair mention was made of the seller being foreign which should be irrelevant. However, I would guarantee she can write and speak better English than is presented in this posting.

Solus
19-Feb-08, 10:19
Try the good old fashioned method !

a plan "no thanks " and continue walking.

golach
19-Feb-08, 10:22
Try the good old fashioned method !

a plan "no thanks " and continue walking.
Thats what I do, politely and firmly, it works every time. Its really quite easy.

badger
19-Feb-08, 11:22
The problem I have with threads is trying to read the sort of claptrap that is presented here as the English Language. Elsewhere in this thread unfair mention was made of the seller being foreign which should be irrelevant. However, I would guarantee she can write and speak better English than is presented in this posting.

Quite - txt is for mobile phones where abbreviation is important. If you expect us to read your posts, please take the trouble to write properly.

The fact that she is foreign is irrelevant, many of them are. If she really bothers you ask for her badge or membership card or whatever it is they have and tell her you are going to complain to the Big Issue. It's not in their interests to get a bad reputation as most of their sellers are genuine and they rely on this. Big Issue sellers are fairly new up here so we're not used to them. They have to buy the magazine before they can sell it so can't possiby be making huge profits. Just be grateful we don't have beggars on the streets.

Personally I'm so grateful to have a roof over my head that I don't mind buying the magazine - I can't imagine how awful it would be to be genuinely homeless, especially in winter.

MadPict
19-Feb-08, 12:00
Quite - txt is for mobile phones where abbreviation is important. If you expect us to read your posts, please take the trouble to write properly.

And that should apply to those who insist on posting using nothing bit 'e weeker vernacular...........

Highland Laddie
19-Feb-08, 12:21

Is this text speak, because I'm really struggling to make any sense of it.

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 13:04

In English please, for those of us who learned it anyway;)

karia
19-Feb-08, 13:04
And that should apply to those who insist on posting using nothing bit 'e weeker vernacular...........

That would be a sad loss of local character.

I could see your point if this was Catalonia.org but for Caithness.org the weeker vernacular seems both appropriate and charming.:D

I rarely have bother understanding it and if I do I ask and am enlightened.

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 13:06

Sorry, cant agree with that. This is a local site, for local people:lol:, with apologies for the blatant plagiarism;)

Ash
19-Feb-08, 13:08
what annoys me about them is if there was only one of them then i may have bought one but there is one outside coop, a man outside semi chem and a women on the precinct busking and ive seen her sell the big issue

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 13:22
what annoys me about them is if there was only one of them then i may have bought one but there is one outside coop, a man outside semi chem and a women on the precinct busking and ive seen her sell the big issue
So you're annoyed by a man standing outside semi-chem? What, just any man? Or one man in particular? You seem to be a bit easily annoyed Ash:(

Ash
19-Feb-08, 13:24
So you're annoyed by a man standing outside semi-chem? What, just any man? Or one man in particular? You seem to be a bit easily annoyed Ash:(

ok sorry there is a male big issue seller outside semi chem
im not easily annoyed

STUDMUFFIN
19-Feb-08, 13:35
Should We Try Her As A Witch Then Or Just Say "no Thanks" Forcibly?

MadPict
19-Feb-08, 14:07
Sorry, cant agree with that. This is a local site, for local people...

I'd challenge that - it may be 'local' but in reality people from all over the world actually read the forums - while I have no problem understanding someone stood in front of me talking with a local accent, trying to decypher a posters attempt at transcribing a local accent into written text is not so easy. Imagine how it would be for someone who has links to Caithness but has never been exposed to the local dialect.

Why accept that yet moan about someone using txt spk?

Save the use of both for the right time and place...[disgust]

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 14:11
I'd challenge that - it may be 'local' but in reality people from all over the world actually read the forums - while I have no problem understanding someone stood in front of me talking with a local accent, trying to decypher a posters attempt at transcribing a local accent into written text is not so easy. Imagine how it would be for someone who has links to Caithness but has never been exposed to the local dialect.

Why accept that yet moan about someone using txt spk?

Save the use of both for the right time and place...[disgust]

Yet another sense of humour failure:roll:

MadPict
19-Feb-08, 14:24
Not at all DHL - I got the local people reference (was going to add a pic of the shop to my reply) but you actually raised a point about this only being for local people.

While you were obviously having a bit of fun many here might actually consider it only for local folk. Many times tongue in cheek posts are misread (e.g. the recent thread "Minus 3 degrees and not a breath of wind" was seen by some correctly as a poke at wind power but others thought it was about the fine weather!) and I suspect that there are some who would see your post as enforcing their belief that this is only for 'locals'.

The only failure I am having is trying to read some members posts.....

Rie
19-Feb-08, 14:42
The BIg Issue have quite strict guide lines for selling the issue, one wich states that you dont hassle/ pester peope in to buying it.
You can "advertise" it but not "beg" people to buy it.
The lass standing out side the co-op is more or less beging and could be moved onfor that alone.
I personaly find the BIG ISSUE a great way of helping out truly homeless people,i buy off the people who dont hassle people,which then shows its my choice to buy it rather than feeling i have too.
I think that some people see selling the BIG ISSUE as an easy way of getting money,without working and i consider it an insult to the man who came up with the idea of the BIG ISSUE.

MadPict
19-Feb-08, 14:48
The BIg Issue have quite strict guide lines for selling the issue...

Maybe they need to print them in Weekerese....

balto
19-Feb-08, 15:06
i just never met her look, i just cant be bothered with it, after all dont most of these big issue sellers live in lovely houses/flats. isnt it true what they say charity begins at home

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 17:48

I could see your point if this was Catalonia.org but for Caithness.org the weeker vernacular seems both appropriate and charming.:D

No it's not charming....
Yes it is difficult to understand... it's much easier to listen to than it is to read..... which means I usually just skip it to the next post.....lol

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 17:53
Sorry, cant agree with that. This is a local site, for local people, with apologies for the blatant plagiarism

Let's just hope all you folks on here don't adopt to write in your local acents (Castletoon, Thursa, Melvich :lol: .........Aberdeen, Glasgow, London, Manchester, Ireland, Wales, etc) or i'll really be snookered....OMG just the thought of it.......it'll take me a night to read one thread.:confused lol

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 17:55
She's there every time I seem to go to the Co-op thrusting a Big Issue in my face. I just keep walking past and say "no thank you".

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 17:57
3 Posts PP? When it could all have been done in one? You're just trying to be a 1k orger, arent you?:lol::lol:

Cazaa
19-Feb-08, 19:03
They have asked her to move her on but as the pavement belongs to the council there isn't much the Co- op can do maybe you should take the complaint to the council.

Surely a better use of time would be to press the council to find out why they allow anyone to BE homeless in Caithness. There must be plenty housing available for them. Perhaps the girl only needs pointing in the right direction.

hotrod4
19-Feb-08, 19:27
[\quote]Save the use of both for the right time and place...[disgust][/QUOTE]

Disagree, Isnt "caithness" org not the proper place to speek in weeker or any other caithness dialect?
After all the clue is in the title of the site ;)
Text speak should be used for just that-texting but local dialects die out if not used so why shouldnt people use it on here?

fits e crack aboot all is talkin week thing?mannies and wifies can blether in their twang if they want, as long as they dinnae let the dowgs tak then we'll be ok!!!!!

gunnlass
19-Feb-08, 19:35
Why be let in to UK, if all you can offer is to beg/busk whatever you want to call it, will probably get shot down by saying this but i bet there's plenty who feel the same but won't write it.

karia
19-Feb-08, 19:37
Absolutely agree with you Hotrod....and I have been to wick only once!;)

Love to hear dialect spoken or see it written and to be honest it's just not that difficult to understand at all if you are willing to think 'flexibly'.

scotsboy
19-Feb-08, 19:45
Must admit I ignore posts in Weeker Speak.

Rheghead
19-Feb-08, 19:59
I must admit that I thought the Big Issue was a load of rubbish, I don't know why because I had never read one properly until about a month ago. However, after reading an edition which was left out on a table, I thought it was a really good read with issues that really were interesting and pertinent to our lives.

The next time a person, foreign or otherwise, asks if I want one then I will buy one.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 20:02
I must admit that I thought the Big Issue was a load of rubbish, I don't know why because I had never read one properly until about a month ago. However, after reading an edition which was left out on a table, I thought it was a really good read with issues that really were interesting and pertinent to our lives.

The next time a person, foreign or otherwise, asks if I want one then I will buy one.

I agree 100%, it is a pretty decent read.

Highland Laddie
19-Feb-08, 20:14

Quite agree with you there m8, i have read it on a few occasions, but have a slight problem,
i am often if not daily at Tesco,Co-op and Woolworth, but have yet to be accosted by all these foreign Big Issue sellers other posters on here seem to be inundated by.

northener
19-Feb-08, 20:26
I agree 100%, it is a pretty decent read.

Agree 100%

braalterr903
19-Feb-08, 20:41
yes i saw her last saturday and that was at 8.50 in morning when i dropped off my son for work and when i went back she was still their and that was at 6.00 at nite she should be told to remove her self from their door way.

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 20:45
yes i saw her last saturday and that was at 8.50 in morning when i dropped off my son for work and when i went back she was still their and that was at 6.00 at nite she should be told to remove her self from their door way.

Why, because she's working long hours?

balto
19-Feb-08, 20:50
doubt if any of the big issue sellers that come up here are actually homeless

karia
19-Feb-08, 20:54
doubt if any of the big issue sellers that come up here are actually homeless

Based on what exactly?

Are you even aware of what constitutes being classified as 'Homeless'?

Highland Laddie
19-Feb-08, 20:59

Perchance,
could it be not having somewhere to rest your weary broon breed.

balto
19-Feb-08, 21:02
Based on what exactly?

Are you even aware of what constitutes being classified as 'Homeless'?
aye i think i do know what being homeless means and i am not say that all the sellers of the big issue are not homeless there are so people who really need it but it is true that further down the line there are people who sell big issues and live in lovely flats.

karia
19-Feb-08, 21:16
but it is true that further down the line there are people who sell big issues and live in lovely flats.

You state this as fact not supposition...can you back it up?

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 23:18
[quote=DeHaviLand;342230]3 Posts PP? When it could all have been done in one? You're just trying to be a 1k orger, arent you?:lol:/quote]

Oh no you've sussed me out..........:lol:
Sorry, just replied to the posts as I was reading my way through them. Don't know how to do the multiple quote thing yet!!!!!

Penelope Pitstop
19-Feb-08, 23:21
Absolutely agree with you Hotrod....and I have been to wick only once!;)

Love to hear dialect spoken or see it written and to be honest it's just not that difficult to understand at all if you are willing to think 'flexibly'.

Aahhh that's what I'm missing then......thinking flexibly[lol]

Whoooops, should have read all the posts i've missed so I could answer all at once.............bottom of the class again. lol

karia
19-Feb-08, 23:30
Aahhh that's what I'm missing then......thinking flexibly[lol]l

Yes PP..don't assume from the start that the dialect is somehow 'beyond you' and you could fair surprise yourself.:D

Kevin Milkins
19-Feb-08, 23:49
I have just read all the way through the issue of the big issue and how find so many things to agree and disagree with. I am not fussed on txt talk ,not even on a phone. I have not met the girl selling at the CO.OP ,but I may pop along sometime soon. I have seen one at Tesco and it is all now apparent as I thought every time I saw him he sneezed and I replied bless you and walked on.No wonder he lookes at me a bit strange. ATISHOO