PDA

View Full Version : 1K Orgers, so what?

Boozeburglar
18-Feb-08, 20:19
Am I the only one fed up with half this message board being taken up by people slapping each other on the back for the number of posts they have managed to make?

Like some pyramid scheme, they all seem to post on each other's threads, all adding to their ever so important tally as they go.

Blah, blah, blah...

superted
18-Feb-08, 20:28
Oh someones a little grumpy today????[lol]

floyed
18-Feb-08, 20:46
Its only a bit of fun, what is wrong with you gurney chops!!:lol:

trix
18-Feb-08, 20:47
ha ha ha - lighten up boozeB :lol:

Julia
18-Feb-08, 20:55
It's just a bit of fun! So when you reach 1k you won't want any fuss then? ;)

Boozeburglar
18-Feb-08, 21:02
It's just a bit of fun! So when you reach 1k you won't want any fuss then? ;)

Check back with me in 2011...

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:07
Am I the only one fed up with half this message board being taken up by people slapping each other on the back for the number of posts they have managed to make?

Like some pyramid scheme, they all seem to post on each other's threads, all adding to their ever so important tally as they go.

Blah, blah, blah...

I agree wholeheartedly, Boozeburglar.

Nothing screams "Everybody, look at ME!! Look at ME!!" more than yet another turgid 1k Orger thread. Then you have the recent trend of posting as much tripe as possible, just to reach that senseless milestone.

But then, these are the kind of people who think quantity of posts is much more important than quality. They're only fooling themselves. Everyone knows that the empty vessel makes the most noise.

floyed
18-Feb-08, 21:11
I agree wholeheartedly, Boozeburglar.

Nothing screams "Everybody, look at ME!! Look at ME!!" more than yet another turgid 1k Orger thread. Then you have the recent trend of posting as much tripe as possible, just to reach that senseless milestone.

But then, these are the kind of people who think quantity of posts is much more important than quality. They're only fooling themselves. Everyone knows that the empty vessel makes the most noise.

I would say that your post Metalattakk are quite boring all you do is mump and moan about everyone elses posts. Why dont you start a post of interest to everyone Mr smartie pants:lol:

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:16
I'll start when you start. Lead on, MacDull.

floyed
18-Feb-08, 21:21
Macdull lol not!! Your the one mumping and moaning about people posting stupid things, so you start an interesting post for everyone to read.

trix
18-Feb-08, 21:30
I would say that your post Metalattakk are quite boring all you do is mump and moan about everyone elses posts. Why dont you start a post of interest to everyone Mr smartie pants:lol:

on yersel floyed, an ye hev such a gentle nature....i think ye may weel hev choost woken 'e beast metalattakk :eek:

karia
18-Feb-08, 21:34
. Everyone knows that the empty vessel makes the most noise.

And what sort o' vessel makes the most friends....

......not the good ship 'Miserable':D

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:36
Macdull lol not!! Your the one mumping and moaning about people posting stupid things, so you start an interesting post for everyone to read.

Why bother, when all people are interested in is self-congratulatory back-slapping and sycophantic group *hugs*?

All I'm doing is agreeing with Boozeburglar and all the rest of the people who don't think this is the place for such threads.

To the FlashChat with you all.

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:39
And what sort o' vessel makes the most friends....

......not the good ship 'Miserable':D

We are here to make friends? News to me. You must be thinking this is a Yahoo! Group...

http://groups.yahoo.com/

Feel free to set one up for you and all your acolytes.

sids
18-Feb-08, 21:42
Feel free to set one up for you and all your acolytes.

It would be correct to say "yourself and all your acolytes."

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:43

Yep, that's true. Thanks for correcting me. :)

karia
18-Feb-08, 21:44
To the FlashChat with you all.

Why?

Without being critical of the facility...if flashchat suits you..then visit!

Why would we celebrate a members special moments in a singular forum that may not even involve that persons friends or experiences here?:confused

balto
18-Feb-08, 21:45
i Dont Get What Is Wrong With It Seems To Me You Just Want To Have A Grump!!!!!!!!

changilass
18-Feb-08, 21:45
OMG - we are back to picking up gramatical errors again

'Ats one sure sign that a thread is on its way out :lol:

Whilst I have nothing against folks slapping each other on the back, it can get tedious if you are looking for something and you have to wade through tons of these threads.

Maybe putting them elsewhere so they are all together for those that want to read them may be the way to go.

Please don't all rush at once to tell me where to shove them lol, its not up to me

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:48
Why would we celebrate a members special moments..../

Why would you do such a thing in the first place? There's no skill involved.

karia
18-Feb-08, 21:49
[quote=Metalattakk;341746]We are here to make friends? News to me. You must be thinking this is a Yahoo! Group...

No..but I didn't know I had to 'avoid' making pals to keep the site pure!

So you are here purely to make enemies then?

DeHaviLand
18-Feb-08, 21:50

'Ats one sure sign that a thread is on its way out

Whilst I have nothing against folks slapping each other on the back, it can get tedious if you are looking for something and you have to wade through tons of these threads.

Maybe putting them elsewhere so they are all together for those that want to read them may be the way to go.

Please don't all rush at once to tell me where to shove them lol, its not up to me

That'll be ' grammatical';):lol:

And dont bother getting onto me, its only a gentle leg-pull.

But while I'm on, I dont see the point in those kind of posts either.

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:53
No..but I didn't know I had to 'avoid' making pals to keep the site pure!

So you are here purely to make enemies then?

I care not a jot if people like or dislike me personally for posting my opinions. I am here neither to make friends nor enemies, I leave that for the 'real world'.

floyed
18-Feb-08, 21:55
You still have'nt started a post. I went first now its your turn over to you or are you scared incase people say that your post is boring:D

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 21:57
Sorry, the criteria was an "interesting" thread. Still waiting for you to start...

superted
18-Feb-08, 22:03
Sorry, the criteria was an "interesting" thread. Still waiting for you to start...

sour grapes!!![lol]

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 22:06
Yae, that's right. It's sour grapes because I couldn't come up with a thread so interesting that it gets one response out of 18 views. Oh woe is me. ;)

karia
18-Feb-08, 22:13
[quote=karia;341758]

I care not a jot if people like or dislike me personally for posting my opinions. I am here neither to make friends nor enemies, I leave that for the 'real world'.

Given the thread it seems only fair to ask why do you post?.

....what moves you to give opinions on certain subjects and to people you seem only to despise?

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 22:18
Given the thread it seems only fair to ask why do you post?.

....what moves you to give opinions on certain subjects and to people you seem only to despise?

I replied to this thread to make my opinions known and to give Boozeburglar the support his opinion deserves. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who agrees with him.

And what makes you think I despise anyone? Are you trying to put words in my mouth, trying to create an agenda or trying to turn this into something it's not?

Edit: How can I despise anyone just because of words they have typed?

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:02
[quote=Metalattakk;341774How can I despise anyone just because of words they have typed?[/quote]

My point entirely!;)

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 23:03
Please elucidate, Karia. I must be missing something here...

teddybear1873
18-Feb-08, 23:10
It gets very similar like that on Bebo. Alot of people hinting to send there love on there post. See who can get 100 or 500 hearts on there bebo page. Probebly take me 3 years to reach 1000 posts on here, i have better things to do than sit on .org all day and night.

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:11
Please elucidate, Karia. I must be missing something here...

I think we would all agree with that!:roll:

zappster
18-Feb-08, 23:15
Av been a member for years & years but dont post very often in here .... it'll take forever to reach 1k but am no bothered...I'd rather leave decent comments rather than fill up threads joost to get ma post count up!!

sweetpea
18-Feb-08, 23:15
Well Mettalattack, I've just got to stick up for you because you pulled me up for my spelling but I don't despise you, I hold you in the highest regard! Thank you so much for correcting me. Just to it harder next time;)

justine
18-Feb-08, 23:16
Not wanting to start another argument but i noticed metalattakk that when you started on this thread you had only 862 posts, by the time you jump on me you will have gathered 12 points, taking your posts up to 874, not much further and you will be a 1k orger with the rest of us...Will remember to forget it.......

Who's counting posts...........
your friendly 1k orger...

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:17
Why would you do such a thing in the first place? There's no skill involved.

There's no skill involved in a Birthday or Anniversary...should we ignore them?

badger
18-Feb-08, 23:19
It does get pretty tedious having quite so many threads from members announcing they've arrived at 1K or they're an orger or even announcing their arrival in the Forum . The replies are pretty predictable - congratulations or welcome as appropriate.

It wasn't so bad once having just the occasional one but now there are so many it seems everybody's doing it, it's almost obligatory. We have a separate section for birthdays so why not for orgdays?

sweetpea
18-Feb-08, 23:20
I think I'll pay for a banner when I get my rite of passage!;)

justine
18-Feb-08, 23:21
It does get pretty tedious having quite so many threads from members announcing they've arrived at 1K or they're an orger or even announcing their arrival in the Forum . The replies are pretty predictable - congratulations or welcome as appropriate.

It wasn't so bad once having just the occasional one but now there are so many it seems everybody's doing it, it's almost obligatory. We have a separate section for birthdays so why not for orgdays?
How are people supposed to introduce themselves, by throwingthemselves into your conversation..
If you were talking to a mate face to face and someone you did not know butted in without first introducing themselves, i dont think you would take it too kindly...

As for the org day, maybe we should take it it up with mods....

Tristan
18-Feb-08, 23:24

'Ats one sure sign that a thread is on its way out :lol:

Good idea!

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:27
Hi badger,

Surely it is a credit to us existing members that so many folks want to join us.:confused

Why would I get bored welcoming new friends?

Thumper
18-Feb-08, 23:28
Now guys seeing as it was my 1000th post that Nanoo posted the thread about and then this thread appeared i assume it has something to do with me,either directly or indirectly so I will have my say then....I have said it before and I will say it again IF you dont like a thread ignore it,yes there have been a lot of .orger threads recently but to quote another orger "so what" just ignore it or whatever...if the mods were worried about them "clogging up the board" they would have put them all together,they haven't so they can't be that much of a problem.Now I would also like to say I have never shouted look at me or indeed asked for attention of any kind negative or positive.I also have to admit that I have spent a LOT of time on here but again why does that bother people,what I do with my time is my business not anybody elses and if it wasnt for the fact that I was virtually housebound for a few months I probably wouldnt have spent so much time on here!As for skill....well IMO skill is when you can get your point across without having to offend others or descend into flinging insults to do so x

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 23:30
Not wanting to start another argument but i noticed metalattakk that when you started on this thread you had only 862 posts, by the time you jump on me you will have gathered 12 points, taking your posts up to 874, not much further and you will be a 1k orger with the rest of us...Will remember to forget it.......

Who's counting posts...........
your friendly 1k orger...

I think you're taking an almost creepy interest in my post count. I couldn't care less how many posts I have made. I've made 800-odd posts in 7 years or so on here, and I certainly won't be making a big hullabaloo if and when the time comes.

I guess you'll just have to count down the days until then, though.

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:34
Hear Hear!

If it was not for the warmth and humour of posters like Thumps we wouldn't have people queuing up to join.

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:36
I think you're taking an almost creepy interest in my post count. I couldn't care less how many posts I have made. I've made 800-odd posts in 7 years or so on here, and I certainly won't be making a big hullabaloo if and when the time comes.

You wish anyone was that interested...:roll:!

Metalattakk
18-Feb-08, 23:39
Nope, far from it in fact. I couldn't give a fig, as I've already stated in this thread. Do try and keep up, eh?

justine
18-Feb-08, 23:39

To be honest, i dont think about you at all..I just took an interest when i realised how grumpy and offending you were tonight putting your point across, i even make sure my spelling is correct so i dont offend you.

As for counting your post, sorry i will be counting my own down so i can shout "Hey look.I am a 2k orger....:lol:

Bobinovich
18-Feb-08, 23:40
Well it has been bought to the Mods attention and in general we do agree that these types of thread should really have their own place.

However we dont want to just lump them all into one sticky thread as it would get awfully long and tedious in itself, so we're going to approach Admin to create a separate sub-forum for 'Org Days' (I like that one!) to cover specific threads to welcome new members, changes from Member to Orger, Orger to 1K.Orger, etc.

trix
18-Feb-08, 23:40
il second what ye said thumper.....

its nice ti hev a bit o recognition when ye'v been a part o' org life for a period 'o time, an i think the whole recognition thing is a little celebration which signifies yer time spent wi a group o' real people who hev shared and debated yer opinion, and generally built up some kind o relationship.

its only natural til want til say 'weel done' an a nice way o sayin 'thanks for contributing til gien ither people stuff til read'

:lol::lol:

karia
18-Feb-08, 23:51
Well it has been bought to the Mods attention and in general we do agree that these types of thread should really have their own place.

However we dont want to just lump them all into one sticky thread as it would get awfully long and tedious in itself, so we're going to approach Admin to create a separate sub-forum for 'Org Days' (I like that one!) to cover specific threads to welcome new members, changes from Member to Orger, Orger to 1K.Orger, etc.

Fair enough..but remember that these special moments evolve out of day to day postings...and that not everyone reads the 'Hatches, Matches' thread..as can be seen from the viewing figures.

Is there so much of import being posted on the General Forum that space can't be made to congratulate a fellow orger who is excited to have an avatar or Anniversary?:confused

A Sad day if that's true!

trix
18-Feb-08, 23:58
hey Ak

i masel da really read 'at threads so would miss oot on alot o' 'e 'special occasions' an congrats.

its usually prity clear on 'e thread what its aboot so if fowlk da want til
readed then they da hev til, an shouldna bother.

i say they should stop moanin an 'live an let live'.

some people are choost no happy unless they'r.....no happy!!!

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 00:05
There's no skill involved in a Birthday or Anniversary...should we ignore them?

Nope. Celebrate them with your family, as you should. Reaching a 'milestone' on caithness.org cannot seriously be considered anything close to similar. A poor analogy if ever there was one.

To be honest, i dont think about you at all..I just took an interest when i realised how grumpy and offending you were tonight putting your point across, .../

Please point out one single post of mine tonight that has been offensive? Just because you disagree doesn't make anything offensive.

karia
19-Feb-08, 00:07
Aye trix,

It would seem that they hev so little of great importance to say that the odd Anniversary thread would stop folks finding their 'Eureka' moment:lol:

Lord knows..we're all waiting!;)

Dum didi dum diddi dum diddi dadada!

karia
19-Feb-08, 00:09
Nope. Celebrate them with your family, as you should. Reaching a 'milestone' on caithness.org cannot seriously be considered anything close to similar.

Then you've not met and engaged with the people I have..sadly for you!

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 00:13
Again more cryptic replies.

Do you mean that you can't stand your family? Or that you place reaching 1k posts on the .org as important as a birthday, and celebrate in a similar manner?

Either way, that just doesn't make sense.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 00:18
by the time you jump on me you will have gathered 12 points

Points?

Is there some sort of game going on here to see who can post the most?

Geez, you aren't a train spotter as well by any chance?

karia
19-Feb-08, 00:22
I love my family..and my friends...more than you could ever know.

A few special folks I have met on the Org have joined both categories...if that fails to make sense to you then both your friendships and your Org experience are impoverished.

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 00:28
I love my family..and my friends...more than you could ever know.

A few special folks I have met on the Org have joined both categories...if that fails to make sense to you then both your friendships and your Org experience are impoverished.

That doesn't fail to make sense Karia, but your previous ambiguous statement did. Simple elucidation works wonders, does it not?

Impoverished? What utter nonsense.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 00:28

It is correct as it is.

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 00:30
It is correct as it is.

I believe both are acceptable, but sids amendment is the more correct. :D

trix
19-Feb-08, 00:33
Again more cryptic replies.

Either way, that just doesn't make sense.

what she means is that since joinin 'e org she hes bin communicatin regularly wi various people an built up firm friendships that goes deeper that just 'getin 'e crack,' an wil last long, long efter org life.

i ken 'iss because im one o' them....hell, she'l be at ma weddin :lol:

ye obvioulsy da use 'e org for communicatin in 'iss way an da hev any inclination til build up close relationships wi ither orgers.

an at's fine too, no many people do, but am gled that she dis. cos she's always there, an i speak til her aboot really private stuff, that helps me in ma life, an if it wisna for her (karia) then i widna be half as happy as i am now an i widna be on 'e org half as much....

i thank her for 'at...she's really special til me.

ma point bein.....we are individual. i get a laff oot o' yer posts metalattakk, but i get real feelin oot o' hers, somethin ye maybe widna undestand, bein 'e individual that ye are. no disrespect ment...;)

karia
19-Feb-08, 00:36
Impoverished? What utter nonsense.

Value judgement...I value folks..you don't...Impoverished?

I sure think so!:D

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 00:39
How on earth do you get the impression I don't value people? I find that rather insulting to be perfectly frank.

Saveman
19-Feb-08, 01:41
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I think I'll laugh.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 02:40
I believe both are acceptable, but sids amendment is the more correct. :D

He was wrong to imply you were incorrect.

You are either wrong or right. In this case, you were right.

His suggestion is not 'more correct'.

:)

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 02:47
Ach, that's by the bye though, in the grand scheme of things. ;)

Congrats on having the testicular fortitude to start this thread in the first place. Just disappointed the silent majority don't seem to share that same fortitude.

Received earlier tonight:

You're definitely under attack on the orger thread but there again you're only saying what loads of us think. Keep it up.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 03:46
Hey who said you could start quoting my PMs?

Hey, am I at 500 points yet?

I just can't wait! I never win anything!

Margaret M.
19-Feb-08, 03:48
I fail to see anything special about the first post, last post or any post in between -- including the 1K post. But it obviously means a lot to some so having them all in one place gets my vote.

Boozeburglar
19-Feb-08, 03:54
I agree, all such threads should be combined and people who want to announce they are about to lay the golden 1K post can knock themselves out in one collective thread.

Seems like sense.

Maybe my thread can be combined with all the grumpy auld farts' threads.

Lolabelle
19-Feb-08, 09:29
I fail to see anything special about the first post, last post or any post in between -- including the 1K post. But it obviously means a lot to some so having them all in one place gets my vote.

Here, here!!!! :Razz

I was thinking we could just have a "Dribble" section. Then we could avoid so many of these petty squabbles.

TBH
19-Feb-08, 10:28
I think a separate sub-forum is a great idea with perhaps even a freeze on post-counts as this seems to be the thing that causes a lot of arguments.

The Angel Of Death
19-Feb-08, 10:49
Anyone can get to be a 1k orgers its easy to do I'm sure if you set your mind to it you could do it over a few months by just replaying to every post made adding comments good or bad ones I just don't see what the fascination is with the ohh look at me I have 40 million posts

As said before it comes down to quality not quantity

What really gets me is text speak postings that drives me mad I am not perfect when it comes to speeling ;) everyone can make mistakes etc but am I alone in struggling to read some of the postings written in text speak sometimes i have to go over a post a few times and its like one of them spot went to the park books :D

Whats wrong we good old english even if there are a few words wrong ???

Never minds though only 594 posts to go till i can join the gang

Flair
19-Feb-08, 10:53

Blah, blah, blah...

Heh, and people have said that I've got an aggresive "notice me!" attitude. :lol:

badger
19-Feb-08, 11:13
Coming back into this a bit late (sorry Karia and Justine - not ignoring you, I just wasn't here) I don't think you need to introduce yourself in a place like this. New members who post for the first time are going to be pretty obvious to anyone who looks at the number of posts and I don't see why they shouldn't just join in. I don't call that butting in as this is hardly a private conversation, or even a private party. It's open to anyone who registers and they'll be more or less welcome according to how they post. Can't we just say hello and welcome when replying for the first time to a new member and then leave it at that? It's not as if each new member goes into any detail about themselves, which is what would happen in real life. This comes out later in their posts and that's how we get to know them.

As for the status thing, I agree that quality is probably more important. One-liners can be just as interesting/fun as longer posts, and just as valid, but if we make too much of the 1K status, isn't it just encouraging some to post a lot in order to get a badge? We don't have length of membership status so why is number of posts so important? I missed my 1K and had to have it pointed it out to me by another member in a PM - and please don't congratulate me. I've been a member for nearly 7 years so it could be taken as a sign of idleness :roll: and a badge of shame.

I just don't see the point of all these threads basically saying the same thing.

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 13:16
Coming back into this a bit late (sorry Karia and Justine - not ignoring you, I just wasn't here) I don't think you need to introduce yourself in a place like this. New members who post for the first time are going to be pretty obvious to anyone who looks at the number of posts and I don't see why they shouldn't just join in. I don't call that butting in as this is hardly a private conversation, or even a private party. It's open to anyone who registers and they'll be more or less welcome according to how they post. Can't we just say hello and welcome when replying for the first time to a new member and then leave it at that? It's not as if each new member goes into any detail about themselves, which is what would happen in real life. This comes out later in their posts and that's how we get to know them.

As for the status thing, I agree that quality is probably more important. One-liners can be just as interesting/fun as longer posts, and just as valid, but if we make too much of the 1K status, isn't it just encouraging some to post a lot in order to get a badge? We don't have length of membership status so why is number of posts so important? I missed my 1K and had to have it pointed it out to me by another member in a PM - and please don't congratulate me. I've been a member for nearly 7 years so it could be taken as a sign of idleness :roll: and a badge of shame.

I just don't see the point of all these threads basically saying the same thing.

When you join the Org, you receive a message inviting you to make an introductory post in the General section. Some do, some dont, but it would be wrong to chastise those who politely do as requested.

badger
19-Feb-08, 13:48
When you join the Org, you receive a message inviting you to make an introductory post in the General section. Some do, some dont, but it would be wrong to chastise those politely do as requested.

Really? I don't remember that but maybe it wasn't the practice then - it's so long ago ..... In that case I disagree with the system and apologise to those who have just been obeying instructions. Still think it's pointless.

justine
19-Feb-08, 13:53
Nope. Celebrate them with your family, as you should. Reaching a 'milestone' on caithness.org cannot seriously be considered anything close to similar. A poor analogy if ever there was one.

Please point out one single post of mine tonight that has been offensive? Just because you disagree doesn't make anything offensive.

You were just being down right nasty on some of the things you were saying. You go on about it but i also noticed when i read you profile, you in fact have only ever started 3 threads...go to mine, i have earned all my respect and my points and thats not by jumping in on peoples threads, but bringing in my own thoughts for you to ponder on..A community web site is that,a community and as i always say, you have always got one that cant think up anything interesting to start a post with so they go round clocking up their own numbers jumping on peoples backs...

Everyone has a right to post what they want on here, you would not like the FREEDOM OF SPEECH removed from our culture so why should we be quiet about things on here to suit all..

Boozeburglar.about the trainspotting,I could be if you wanted, i could join you down the on the tracks if you like.I could keep you company...Personally i like models better, dont get cold watching them..

I am a tank kind of lady,you know my military ties and all...

It amazes me still how such innocent posts can turn out like this..If people want to spread there words of i'm an orger leave them to it...its harmless fun and if you dont like it dont join it.

badger
19-Feb-08, 14:11
Calm down, dears, it's only a forum.

Justine I think you're being a bit unfair criticising Metal for not starting many threads. Some people prefer joining in conversations to starting them. Is that so bad? You like starting them as well as joining in and that's great - you're always worth reading (even if we don't always agree :) ). But so is Metal (even if ..... ) . That's what is so good about this forum - we're all different. I just don't think threads announcing milestones add anything - "look I'm an orger" followed by endless congratulations - and it seems to be a recent craze so everyone who gets to the next stage feels they have to tell us about it. It's not a competition or a race, it's a meeting place. The rewards are in the friendships we make, the knowledge we gain and the opportunities for discussion - not a prize for the most posts.

Where is Fred? Surely he should be back by now?

Angela
19-Feb-08, 14:20
Really? I don't remember that but maybe it wasn't the practice then - it's so long ago ..... In that case I disagree with the system and apologise to those who have just been obeying instructions. Still think it's pointless.

Badger, I was certainly shall we say 'encouraged' to post to introduce myself when I joined in December 2006 -as if that was the forum etiquette and it would be really bad manners not to!

At that time we didn't see postcounts, and when one day they magically appeared I was truly mortified to discover I'd clocked up over 800 posts in a relatively short time. :o The reason for my plethora of posts was that last winter I was more or less housebound, and with real life friends and family all working full time, the Org felt a friendly place to visit on weekdays and probably kept me sane!

I do appreciate and indeed cherish the Org friends I've made very much indeed, :D and hope to meet them in real life one day, but I for one tend to restrict my exchange of personal chat with my pals -about our real lives- to PMs, emails and msn, which allows us all privacy.

I certainly wouldn't say there's no place for friendly, lighthearted threads that cheer us all up and make us laugh, but I do agree with the suggestion of a separate 'Org Days' forum to post threads that relate solely to our Org lives and personas - e.g. Orger and 1k Orger threads.

justine
19-Feb-08, 14:26
Calm down, dears, it's only a forum.

Justine I think you're being a bit unfair criticising Metal for not starting many threads. Some people prefer joining in conversations to starting them. Is that so bad? You like starting them as well as joining in and that's great - you're always worth reading (even if we don't always agree :) ). But so is Metal (even if ..... ) . That's what is so good about this forum - we're all different. I just don't think threads announcing milestones add anything - "look I'm an orger" followed by endless congratulations - and it seems to be a recent craze so everyone who gets to the next stage feels they have to tell us about it. It's not a competition or a race, it's a meeting place. The rewards are in the friendships we make, the knowledge we gain and the opportunities for discussion - not a prize for the most posts.

Where is Fred? Surely he should be back by now?

Why.He feels the need to critisize posting rubbish to get to the one k orger status, so maybe he you should give us something to read that is interesting..I like, you say, do my fair share of both and very rarely jump on people unless started on first
.Even then i am most polite in my answers..I have taken flack from alot in my time but i stuck with it and made my milestone..People celebrate running a thousand miles so why not for writing a thousand posts
.I know it is all about opnions and making friends and i have my share of both, but i dont think bringing in a post about being a 1korger that offensive..I was really chuffed to reach that goal after all i have been through and i am sure others feel the same..Also if people want to congratulate them for that, well what harm does it do..
Someone mentioned looking through all the posts to find an interesting one, well for the last week i can say it has been hard to find one worth answering so people just post what they want to start a thread..

Do you metallakk, we cross thread vary rarely and i do believe this is the first time we have had words, no harm done, but why not let people enjoy thyeir milestones if they want.Those that reply to the thread obviously enjoy patting people on their backs...

Badger.i am glad you think my posts are worth reading even if we dont always see eye to eye....

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 14:32
People celebrate running a thousand miles so why not for writing a thousand posts.

Lol, sorry Justine, but you simply cannot compare the two. Run 1000 miles, which would be a remarkable feat of human endurance, or write complete garbage and hit the send button 1000 times?
Though I will admit I'm far closer to achieving the latter;)

MadPict
19-Feb-08, 14:34
Badger, I was certainly shall we say 'encouraged' to post to introduce myself when I joined in December 2006 -as if that was the forum etiquette and it would be really bad manners not to!

At that time we didn't see postcounts, and when one day they magically appeared I was truly mortified to discover I'd clocked up over 800 posts in a relatively short time. The reason for my plethora of posts was that last winter I was more or less housebound, and with real life friends and family all working full time, the Org felt a friendly place to visit on weekdays and probably kept me sane!

I think I am right in saying the "introduce yourself" message only appeared after the forums upgraded to the current version. It is a default greeting in vBulletin and can be changed. Just as the message "Welcome back you haven't posted in sometime blah blah blah" appears if you log in after a period of inactivity.

Post counts were turned off in Dec 06 to try and improve the server performance and were reactivated when the forum software was upgraded in mid 07 IIRC.

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 14:34
You were just being down right nasty on some of the things you were saying.

Nasty because you say so? There's nothing nasty about any of my posts. They are a frank expression of my opinions. If you find that 'nasty' then it's you who has the problem. Deal with it.

You go on about it but i also noticed when i read you profile, you in fact have only ever started 3 threads...go to mine, i have earned all my respect and my points and thats not by jumping in on peoples threads, but bringing in my own thoughts for you to ponder on.

As has been pointed out to you, this is not a competition. There are no extra rewards for starting threads, and to try to make it competitive is plainly wrong. Points don't make prizes.

Everyone has a right to post what they want on here, you would not like the FREEDOM OF SPEECH removed from our culture so why should we be quiet about things on here to suit all..

Follow your own advice, m'dear. Why should I be quiet, and refrain from adding my support to Boozeburglar's opinion?

It amazes me still how such innocent posts can turn out like this..If people want to spread there words of i'm an orger leave them to it...its harmless fun and if you dont like it dont join it.

If I don't like it I have the right to say so, and to explain why. What part of 'Freedom Of Speech' do you not understand?

justine
19-Feb-08, 14:39
Lol, sorry Justine, but you simply cannot compare the two. Run 1000 miles, which would be a remarkable feat of human endurance, or write complete garbage and hit the send button 1000 times?
Though I will admit I'm far closer to achieving the latter;)

Now this depends on how you choose to look at this.There are people on the org who could not for either health,fitness or other reasons walk a thousand miles,never mind run, so writing a thousand posts, not all are rubbish to get the same feeling,i see no problem...We achieve what we want in life by persistence and if that includes writing sense or rubbish, thats what we do...

I have already achieved my hitting the post button 1000 times , maybe i should try the 1000 miles,,,,:eek:I think not..stick to writing, less hard work, plus i can keep an eye on the kids doing this...

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 14:42
Now this depends on how you choose to look at this.There are people on the org who could not for either health,fitness or other reasons walk a thousand miles,never mind run, so writing a thousand posts, not all are rubbish to get the same feeling,i see no problem...We achieve what we want in life by persistence and if that includes writing sense or rubbish, thats what we do...

I have already achieved my hitting the post button 1000 times , maybe i should try the 1000 miles,,,,:eek:I think not..stick to writing, less hard work, plus i can keep an eye on the kids doing this...

Lol, I think this one falls into the garbage category:confused

justine
19-Feb-08, 14:48
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxuk101MXGB)ok i give up your'e right was just making up my numbers with that one.......

justine
19-Feb-08, 14:59
Nasty because you say so? There's nothing nasty about any of my posts. They are a frank expression of my opinions. If you find that 'nasty' then it's you who has the problem. Deal with it.

As has been pointed out to you, this is not a competition. There are no extra rewards for starting threads, and to try to make it competitive is plainly wrong. Points don't make prizes.

Follow your own advice, m'dear. Why should I be quiet, and refrain from adding my support to Boozeburglar's opinion?

If I don't like it I have the right to say so, and to explain why. What part of 'Freedom Of Speech' do you not understand?

You talk like you are on a mission..If you are trying to prove a point write it down with out the quotes.I understand english as well as freedom of speech but with you it seems if you dont like it then neither should others...

Your right again points dont make prizes but it does make people happy to know that they are achieving something in life no matter how little it may be...

What has boozeburglar got to do with this,and there is nothing on this planet including you that can make me get as wound up when people write an honest answer like you seem to do(get wound up that is)..We all have our ways with dealing with things and ok i admit Nasty may have been a wrong choice of wording but everything you said last night got to alot of orgers not just me ,but i will open my mouth...

I have nothing against you, i dont know you and to be honest you are as close to me on here as i would ever like you to be.I will always have my say whether you agree or not, same applies to you,,But it wont go away because you think that you have the only right opinion on here..

We all fall out at times and i can see this lasting alot longer as you dont seem the type to forgive and forget..I am.I have nothing else to say on this subject, so please except my withdrawal from here, while i go and find an interesting thread to post on...

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 15:09
What has boozeburglar got to do with this

Sorry, but this is the only part of your lengthy (yet still point-scoring) post worthy of a response.

Boozeburglar started the thread.

Margaret M.
19-Feb-08, 15:26
It is interesting to see how this is viewed so differently. If I reached 1,000 posts in a short period of time, I would have to turn the computer off and convince myself to do something more meaningful. When it's something that anyone with a computer can do, how can churning out 1,000 posts be considered a milestone?

badger
19-Feb-08, 17:01
If the suggestion that new members introduce themselves came when the forum was updated then that's probably why I didn't know about it since I joined in 2001. Seems to me Daisie has the right idea - introducing herself (presumably her?) with a genuine thread asking a question. Is that not a better way to go about it?

rfr10
19-Feb-08, 17:37
I haven't read a lot of the replies and don't know if you're still on the same subject but I'm replying to the original message.

I completely agree. I don't think there should be a big deal made for someone becoming a 1K orger. I remember recently, someone being congratulated on becoming a .orger . Why should it be something to be proud about? Just because someone has posted a lot doesn't mean that what they posted was of any use. I believe it just creates competition to get to 1K as I'm now beginning to feel very competitive to get to 1K but I'm not just going to type sensless information to get to 1K, likewise, I do not reply to threads which are to congratulate people who reach a certain number of posts or the huge deal about new people joining. When I first joined the org, I didn't post a special post to announce that I had joined Caithness.org, I just got on with it.

It is all getting a bit competitive now and I don't think there should be specific posts to congratulate / announce a new member unless they add more to the post which will contribute to a discussion. I think they are also just threads made to attract people who want to get their posts up so that they can reply and say "Well done" or "hello. welcome to the org"

Why not create a whole new forum for it?!

I don't mean to be gloomy but that's what I believe.

Start congratulating people on their huge green reputation or something but not posts.

northener
19-Feb-08, 17:44
Well, as far as pointless posts go, this whole thread takes the biscuit.

Then again, each to their own......

cuddlepop
19-Feb-08, 17:49
If this thread has achieved anything its make me laugh.;)

unicorn
19-Feb-08, 17:49
Maybe it is time to do away with the post count like they did at one point in the past

rfr10
19-Feb-08, 17:50

Well that's because you're a 1K orger! :P

rfr10
19-Feb-08, 17:52
Maybe it is time to do away with the post count like they did at one point in the past

Ahh yes. That would be a good idea. To be honest, I prefered it when they had "junior member" "member" "senior member" and "trusted member" I liked it that way.

floyed
19-Feb-08, 17:52

same here:D

cuddlepop
19-Feb-08, 17:56
Well that's because you're a 1K orger! :P
Go through the whole thread and you'll see what I mean.;)

Saveman
19-Feb-08, 18:00
A clever person once wrote that "you just want somebody listening to what you say, it doesn't matter who you are...."

The Org provides a small outlet for that need for the common man/woman. Here people can be themselves or someone else, they can express their own views no matter how extreme or just be devil's advocate for a laugh. Unfortunately being the egotistical species that we are, we also crave respect, praise and recognition. The post count and reputation points cater to these cravings.

I can understand how some find it very annoying to see a few "1000th post!" threads. ( I try to ignore them)
I can also understand those who want to post these threads, though I can't remember doing one myself. It just seemed a bit too, "hey look at me!" and yet I do feel the urge to congratulate others! Ahhhhh how fickle I am....

All I can say is, I'm a 1k Orger so nah nah nah nah naaaaaah! ;)

BTW it doesn't actually mean anything in the real world.

DeHaviLand
19-Feb-08, 18:13

There's a real world?:lol:

badger
19-Feb-08, 18:17
Ahh yes. That would be a good idea. To be honest, I prefered it when they had "junior member" "member" "senior member" and "trusted member" I liked it that way.

Oh my goodness, don't think so. The more senior (in age) among us I'm sure don't want to be called junior and as for "trusted" - what's that about? Are the rest not trusted? What qualifies as trusted - surely not a huge number of posts? I don't have a problem with the present system so long as we can do without the "orgday" threads, or put them somewhere else.

justine
19-Feb-08, 18:24

Yes but that would open up a Im a senior orger.......;)

golach
19-Feb-08, 20:22
How true Savey, if only folk would realise that all that goes on here is not the real world, regardless of the issues of some.[lol]

northener
19-Feb-08, 20:32
Oh my goodness, don't think so. The more senior (in age) among us I'm sure don't want to be called junior and as for "trusted" - what's that about? Are the rest not trusted? What qualifies as trusted - surely not a huge number of posts? I don't have a problem with the present system so long as we can do without the "orgday" threads, or put them somewhere else.

junior? senior? nooooooooooooooooo!nooooo!noooo!nooooooooooooooooo ooo! (repeat to infinity).

There's enough grief over this without giving people 'medals'!

We'll have .Orgers having .Orgasms everywhere:eek:

psyberyeti
20-Feb-08, 00:22
If you were in a room of people you would activly avoid some of the groups of people with trite small talk and nose hair. I joined the .Org recently and quickly picked up the fact that certain people were just making posts for the sake of it. So I just stay away from those people. I used the 'Ignore' tab. Oh, it's great. Just by ignoring about 8 habitual pointless posters I have removed the need to to even look at a heap of pointless gabble. I'm sorry but I have better things to do with my time.
I would suggest that is what the 'Ignore' tab is best used for.:cool:

I should point out that there seems to be only a small percentage of small talk. A lot of it is very useful.:)

[Please don't point out my spelling mistakes - I know I can't spell].

Boozeburglar
20-Feb-08, 00:41
psyberyeti, congrats on being over .25 of a 1k orger!

keep those posts coming and those points rolling in!

DeHaviLand
20-Feb-08, 00:43
Congrats BB on your half k orger status. A terrific achievement and undoubtedly well merited ;)

canuck
20-Feb-08, 12:49
Here we grow again!

The org has had a wonderful history with that word which people in the real world love to hear - "growth".

In my early days there were very few dedicated sections, but as this and that got more popular admin created new areas of special interest. Occasionally there was concern that the section would loose the attention of folks if it wasn't on the main board. But that doesn't seem to have happened.

So, perhaps it is time to set up an org fest section. Good luck bobinovich in pleading the case to admin. You have my support.

(Saveman, always go with the laugh. That beautiful smile becomes you so well.)