PDA

View Full Version : Chlamydia

TBH
17-Feb-08, 22:24
In Orkney they are trialling having kits for home testing for chlamydia available in various locations, the toilets of clubs, pubs, etc.

Chlamydia can cause serious complications such as pelvic infection, infertility and potentially fatal ectopic pregnancy in women, and testicle infections and severe arthritis in men.
Great Idea as lots of people are too embarrassed to even go to their doctor.

trix
17-Feb-08, 23:13
i see thum in smiths 'e chemist, along wi ither testin kits lek pregnancy, ovulating an menopause. im sure there wis drug testin aynes too....

sweetpea
17-Feb-08, 23:24
Apparently 10% of the population have chlamydia. As for embarassment of going to GUM clinic, friend who is nurse there told me that a good proportion of people who turn up there are on a wild goose chase from jealous ex partners and the like. Can't understand people doing things like that.

Thumper
17-Feb-08, 23:26
Hun if you had had a partner that strayed......you would def understand them wanting peace of mind!Nobody goes through that embarrasment for fun x

Dog-eared
18-Feb-08, 00:07
Surely more money spent by HMG on education about STD's would be better than chemists selling kits which might tell you you already have one ?
Or hopefully , not.

canuck
18-Feb-08, 09:52
The embarrassment will pass very quickly, so don't let it hold you back from seeking treatment. The staff in the clinics are there to help not to judge.

If the home test kit is positive there still needs to be a second test done before the doctor can prescribe proper medication. The sooner one gets started on the treatment the better. So don't waste precious treatment time on a home test. Delaying the medication by even a few days could affect recovery.

justine
18-Feb-08, 11:14
Sorry but the only way to make sure that these kind of infections dont get spread is by using condoms...It stops all kinds of diseases, and unwanted pregnancies...I noticed someone mentioned about having the reassurance if the partner strayed, well lets put it this way if a partner strays that would be the end of that.I dont believe that anyone should be put at risk by straying partners or loose sex with umpteen people..I know i had a friend who was having anaffair, got pregnant and clamydia and lost the baby..
I have no sympathy for the reckless enopugh to put them selves and others at risk..
As for the test i think it abit impersonnal to make people go to someone other than their own gp for a free tester kit.....Good idea that you can do the test in the comfort of your own home but it still seems abit off asking them to go to people they dont know to get it...

TBH
18-Feb-08, 11:23
The embarrassment will pass very quickly, so don't let it hold you back from seeking treatment. The staff in the clinics are there to help not to judge.

If the home test kit is positive there still needs to be a second test done before the doctor can prescribe proper medication. The sooner one gets started on the treatment the better. So don't waste precious treatment time on a home test. Delaying the medication by even a few days could affect recovery.How does that work in small communities where a small minority of staff probably do leak information about people they know.
On the subject of awareness they have that disgusting advert with the std designer labels on the underwear. Gives me the dry boke and not for the reasons they would like.

canuck
18-Feb-08, 13:20
I do appreciate the leakage factor in all situations of trust. But it exists in the store and pub as well. The counter clerk, a neighbour, a friend, a casual enemy can observe anything and soon be spreading the gossip.

The issue of this thread seems to be about balancing embarrassment with ones health. For me, health wins every time.

Medical tests can be sent to the lab under an assumed name or even Mr. X. But before you say it, I know that there will always be that chance of leakage. That is one of the chances we have to consider in all the life choices we make.

TBH
18-Feb-08, 13:27
I do appreciate the leakage factor in all situations of trust. But it exists in the store and pub as well. The counter clerk, a neighbour, a friend, a casual enemy can observe anything and soon be spreading the gossip.

The issue of this thread seems to be about balancing embarrassment with ones health. For me, health wins every time.

Medical tests can be sent to the lab under an assumed name or even Mr. X. But before you say it, I know that there will always be that chance of leakage. That is one of the chances we have to consider in all the life choices we make.The leakage of embarrassing information makes some people choose between seeking help or living with a condition adverse to their health.

canuck
18-Feb-08, 13:54
The leakage of embarrassing information makes some people choose between seeking help or living with a condition adverse to their health.

Of course it does. But I vote for health and I encourage others to do the same. Embarrassment is not fatal, but some of those adverse conditions are. And in the end they will become 'known' anyway.

orkneylass
18-Feb-08, 17:51
Already mentioned that a high percentage of the population have chlamydia - the main point is that many of them have no symptoms, so the test kits help to ensure that more people get treated. Chlamydia is one of the leading causes of female infertility, so money spent now on treatment saves a lot of heartache and expense in the future. People can use the kit at home and the only ones that have to overcome any reluctance to go to a clinic are the people who know they have the infection. Makes a lot of sense to me.

percy toboggan
18-Feb-08, 17:55
Condoms are far from foolproof ,especially if 'proceedings' last half an hour or longer and are particularly vigorous.... (once upon a time)...
we all need to be a little more choosy and selective methinks.

floyed
18-Feb-08, 19:03
Condoms are far from foolproof ,especially if 'proceedings' last half an hour or longer and are particularly vigorous.... (once upon a time)...
we all need to be a little more choosy and selective methinks.

LOL. I agree with the choosy and selective bit:D

Thumper
18-Feb-08, 19:23
The problem there tho is that you can spend years with somebody and then find out that they didnt stay faithfull.....and then its too late! x