PDA

View Full Version : Childrens films: Bridge to Terabithia

percy toboggan
17-Feb-08, 18:53
Having read good reviews of this movie we finally bought it on dvd over the weekend. Our grad-daughter is only five, but in some ways , emotionally just a little older perhaps, and doesn't appear frightened or disturbed by mild scenes of peril or the occasional ghostly apparition. She knows that films are make believe - having watched a fair feww documentary's of 'the making of ....???'

She stayed over last night and wanted to watch it and after consideration we agreed.....the cover shot depicts a fairy-tale world which seems benign enough, although the film is a PG certificate. We always offer guidance anyway, talking through any scenes which might go over her head.

The content itself surprised us a little. It's seemingly set in rural America (I'll not into detail in case you haven't seen it)...it deals with issues like bullying at school, the values we should all attach to friendship and gives a nod to being outside of the mainstream , maybe swimming against the tide. It also deals with death on a surprisingly stark level. This could perhaps induce temporary tears in sensitive kids...but I see little wrong in that...anyway...

After an hour our g/d said, quite charmingly and without prompt... 'this is the best film I've ever seen in my life' Given all the animations, and the Mary Poppins/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's she has, it's almost certainly the most true to life.

The two lead roles are taken by hitherto unknown actors - the girl especially (Lesley) look bound for stardom from where I was sitting. I'd guess both were about eleven or twelve at the time of filming. Thre's another child-actress aged about six who is also a natural...she almost steals the show!

There are a couple of scenes of mildish violence in the film, the most graphiv when school bully number one collects a smack in the mouth near the end, boy did he ask for it...we might have cheered if the circs. had not been so sad. Special effects in the land of 'Terabithia' are not always ultra-hi-tech and some look a little homespun, but there's a reason for this. I'll not say much more but if you have children who love a good yarn I recommend this picture highly. It's a moral tale of human relationships, family and school. It'll not be long before we all watch it again, if my g/d has o'wt to wi' it.

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 18:56
well i admit i loved the film and im 16! i even had a tear towards the end!

kazzii xxxxx

justine
17-Feb-08, 21:13
Have heard it is supposed to be a good film.Have not seen it yet but i know the kids want to watch it..Will have to get a copy of it..