PDA

View Full Version : Easy kids recipes!

floyed
17-Feb-08, 14:58
Thought you mums out there would like some recipes to do with your children, my son and me do cooking nearly every sunday. These are some of our favourite ones:D

YOGHURT LOLLIES

Ingredients-

4 x 60g tubs of fromage frais (any flavour)
Milk

Method-

Mix fromage frais and milk together just enough to make it pourable. Then pour into moulds and freeze.

MAKES 6 LOLLIES

pizzas

Ingredients-

1 muffin/bagette or couple of slices of bread
Tomato puree
Cheese
Your choice of toppings (ham, pineapple, onion, peppers, smoked sausage ect)

Method -

Grill both sides of the muffin/bagette or bread under the grill until lightly brown.
Take out of the grill and spread tomato puree on both peices.
Add toppings of your choice.
Then add cheese.
Place back under the grill for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.

BANANA CRUNCH

Ingredients -

Tin of Devon's custard or homemade if you prefer
16 Chocolate chip cookies (I use maryland)
2 Large bananas
1 Flake

Method -

Make custard or open tin.
Crush the cookies in a bowl.
Thinly slice bananas.

Place crushed cookies equally at the bottom of your 4 serving dishes.
Place banana slices over cookies until completley covered.
Spoon over custard until cookies and banana are completly covered.
Decorate with crumbled flake.
Put in fridge to cool.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

justine
17-Feb-08, 15:57
Thought you mums out there would like some recipes to do with your children, my son and me do cooking nearly every sunday. These are some of our favourite ones:D

YOGHURT LOLLIES

Ingredients-

4 x 60g tubs of fromage frais (any flavour)
Milk

Method-

Mix fromage frais and milk together just enough to make it pourable. Then pour into moulds and freeze.

MAKES 6 LOLLIES

pizzas

Ingredients-

1 muffin/bagette or couple of slices of bread

Tomato puree

Cheese

Your choice of toppings (ham, pineapple, onion, peppers, smoked sausage ect)

Method -

Grill both sides of the muffin/bagette or bread under the grill until lightly brown.

Take out of the grill and spread tomato puree on both peices.

Add toppings of your choice.

Then add cheese.

Place back under the grill for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.

BANANA CRUNCH

Ingredients -

Tin of Devon's custard or homemade if you prefer

16 Chocolate chip cookies (I use maryland)

2 Large bananas

1 Flake

Method -

Make custard or open tin.

Crush the cookies in a bowl.

Thinly slice bananas.

Place crushed cookies equally at the bottom of your 4 serving dishes.

Place banana slices over cookies until completley covered.

Spoon over custard until cookies and banana are completly covered.

Decorate with crumbled flake.

Put in fridge to cool.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Thats all well and good as long as you dont have any children who are dairy free like we do..You cant use soya milk for making the likes of custard tried and it dont work..Can you come up with any that dont involve dairy products..........

floyed
17-Feb-08, 16:49
Dairy Free Currant Fairy Cakes

INGREDENTS -

175g/6oz Self Raising Flour

150g/5oz Brown Sugar

50g/2oz Currants

1/4 teasp. Salt

240/8fl.oz. Water

30ml/1 fl.oz. Vegetable Oil

1 tbsp Vinegar

1 teasp. Vanilla Extract

METHOD -

Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and place 12 paper fairy cake cases on a baking tray.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients and stir in the currants.

Make a well in the centre then add the remaining "wet" ingredients.

Mix well then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Three quarters fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

MAKES 12

Dairy Free Chocolate Fairy Cakes

INGREDIENTS -

150g/5oz Self Raising Flour

150g/5oz Brown Sugar

25g/1oz Cocoa Powder (check ingredients label)

1/4 teasp. Salt

240/8fl.oz. Water

30ml/1 fl.oz. Vegetable Oil

1 tbsp Vinegar

1 teasp. Vanilla Extract

METHOD -

Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and place 12 paper fairy cake cases on a baking tray.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients .

Make a well in the centre then add the remaining "wet" ingredients.

Mix well then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Three quarters fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

MAKES 12

Ash
17-Feb-08, 17:08
Thats all well and good as long as you dont have any children who are dairy free like we do..You cant use soya milk for making the likes of custard tried and it dont work..Can you come up with any that dont involve dairy products..........

or you can look urself, he or she was just adding recipes they use

justine
17-Feb-08, 20:34
or you can look urself, he or she was just adding recipes they use

I have done that believe me for thye last 10 years.I have 3 children who are dairy free and i know how hard it is to make up recipies. and cook things for kids especially if the recipie sounds good like the ones posted but cant be made for the simple reason they use dairy products.I posted what i said for other users.And if you did notice floyed added one on to the recipie.They did not realise how hard it is to find dairy free recipies..I dont think you had to jump on my back for that.I just stated a point about easy kids recipies, all of which included milk, cheese, you know stuff that some kids cant eat.I was not having a go at him.as floyed knows...the only biscuits that dairy free children can eat are jaffa cakes as they dont contain milk....can you imagine how boring that is for kids.....

Floyed i thank you for the recipie.will be giving it a try as it sounds real good.Thanks mate.......

Ash
17-Feb-08, 20:46
i hardly jumped on your back, just the way you worded what you had written sound abit cheeky to me thats all

sorry

justine
17-Feb-08, 20:59
i hardly jumped on your back, just the way you worded what you had written sound abit cheeky to me thats all

sorry

No reason to appologise hun. no harm done .Maybe i did put it down wrongly...Its a nightmare living with dairy free kids as they always want what they cant have....And i am sorry for saying you dont need to jump on my back for it..Still friends:)

Ash
17-Feb-08, 21:34
No reason to appologise hun. no harm done .Maybe i did put it down wrongly...Its a nightmare living with dairy free kids as they always want what they cant have....And i am sorry for saying you dont need to jump on my back for it..Still friends:)

of course chick!! :D

Allsorts
18-Feb-08, 12:40
HI
sorry just wondered if your kids can take soya products. My kids are both dairy free diets too but as they can use soya we do loads of baking using that. YOu can also get soya custard ready made or make it with soya milk.

justine
18-Feb-08, 14:18
HI
sorry just wondered if your kids can take soya products. My kids are both dairy free diets too but as they can use soya we do loads of baking using that. YOu can also get soya custard ready made or make it with soya milk.

Soya products suit one of them but the other two are totally dairy free.They have a special milk on prescrition and calcium suppliments..I have a ddairy free book of items that can be bought and also a recipie book but unless i want to put up with them running to the toilet every minute i cant use them...I have my ways around it as i have been at this a long time, but new parents who have this problem need to find out as much a sthey can to ensure their kids get the right stuff and all they need to grow...

None of mine like custard, dont know why i love it....

Allsorts
18-Feb-08, 15:55
Mind don't like custard either. I know its hard geting your head round dairy free food for them but also getting it across to other people that everything needs to be checked and that things like cold meat can have milk in them!! Mine are great about but the oldest is starting to feel its not fair when she goes to kids birthday parties and has to take her own food with her!!

floyed
18-Feb-08, 17:16
I must admit i did not relise it was so hard for people with dieatry needs to find foods that suit them. But when Justin brought up the point i thought i would have a look and it is very hard! Not an awful lot of selection or substitutes of things that cant be eating.