PDA

View Full Version : Homebase Rip-off

dozy
15-Feb-08, 15:51
Went to Homebase to buy a Bed and 2 bedside cabinets and was quoted £169.99 for the bed and £49.99 each cabinet in the sale .When i was told by a staff member "if i hold off to Friday i could save 10% on the total" its a discount weekend even on sale items.. great.
I phoned back today and checked on the wedsite only to be told that the bed was now up to £239.99 and the cabinets £69.99 but i could get the 10% on the new price .The product manager said she was sorry but the New and much LARGER price stands ....I did have a HOMEBASE spend and save card but i just cut it up ...Surely the homeBase card should say YOU SPEND ....WE SAVE ! another Homebase RIP-OFF

ciderally
15-Feb-08, 15:54
think i would get onto head office about that one...cant be right ..can it..

justine
15-Feb-08, 15:56
Yes it can be right.That has happened a few times, been told to coe back on 10% day only to find that the price has gone up.It works out that you pay the same price on 10% day as any other..Homebase it a big rip off.I would try and get hold of area manager andsee if they can help....

Dadie
15-Feb-08, 16:01
We are looking at kitchens at to moment and the cooker we fancied was twice the price in homebase than we found elsewhere and even the tiles and sockets and door handles were far more expensive but it is convenient for little bits and bobs but for a big shop or for large items I would def. go elsewhere!

bekisman
15-Feb-08, 16:20
Might be an idea for you folks to contact them, point out that it's being discussed on a public forum website - you'd be surprised that quite often it gets results faster than you think!

HOMEBASE
Contact us: E-mail If your question is about a product available to order on our website, or an order placed on our website please email us on info@homebase.co.uk (info@homebase.co.uk).

If your enquiry is for an order placed in-store or over the telephone for home delivery please email us on hdcc@argos.co.uk (hdcc@argos.co.uk).

If your enquiry relates to products only available in store, please email us on enquiries@homebase.co.uk (enquiries@homebase.co.uk).

For any other customer issue, please email us on enquiries@homebase.co.uk (enquiries@homebase.co.uk)

If you wish to write to us or telephone, please contact us as follows:

Homebase Ltd.,
Customer Services Department,
Acton Gate,
Stafford,
ST18 9AR,

0845 077 8888 (UK)

Lines are open: Monday to Friday 9am - 6pmSaturday 9am - 5pm
Calls are charged at local rate and may be monitored and recorded for staff training purposes.

silverfox57
15-Feb-08, 16:43
hi spent a lot on diy such as wood ,paint,tools, have found had homebase is not cheap,rob at sawmill is half the price, paint shop on bridge st.is a lot cheaperfor paint .shearer next to army hall the same for tools,it still payes to shop from local firms,

grandma
15-Feb-08, 16:53
We are looking at kitchens at to moment and the cooker we fancied was twice the price in homebase than we found elsewhere and even the tiles and sockets and door handles were far more expensive but it is convenient for little bits and bobs but for a big shop or for large items I would def. go elsewhere!
And you have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks for parts. We had to wait nearly 12 weeks for 1 door handle for new kitchen units (ok it was my fault for counting wrong in the first place but that's not the point!!)

Riffman
15-Feb-08, 16:58
Went to Homebase to buy a Bed and 2 bedside cabinets and was quoted £169.99 for the bed and £49.99 each cabinet in the sale .When i was told by a staff member "if i hold off to Friday i could save 10% on the total" its a discount weekend even on sale items.. great.
I phoned back today and checked on the wedsite only to be told that the bed was now up to £239.99 and the cabinets £69.99 but i could get the 10% on the new price .The product manager said she was sorry but the New and much LARGER price stands ....I did have a HOMEBASE spend and save card but i just cut it up ...Surely the homeBase card should say YOU SPEND ....WE SAVE ! another Homebase RIP-OFF

That place on dempster street does nice beds, my parents got one there cheaper than the same model off the internet!

skinnydog
15-Feb-08, 17:02
Yes it definitely pays to shop around. Don't even get me started on the Homebase refund/replace scheme either. What a palaver I had in there just trying to exchange something. Complained to head office by letter and got £40 in vouchers back, not with an apology or explanation though!!

dozy
15-Feb-08, 17:49
Beskisman:
Well i phoned their head office and was told "I may have been given the wrong information" but they where not to blame .They are sorry! but local gossip sites will not dent their turnover or profit margin.
Caithness is only a small part off a very big retail machine .
I should not wait when the next SALE offer comes around but get in quick...they put the phone down..

Margaret M.
15-Feb-08, 18:21
If you really want those cabinets and bed, you should take your complaint to the highest level. Advising you to wait and then raising the prices is simply despicable. Is it even legal to do that -- putting an item on sale with a new jacked up price sounds like fraud? Don't waste you time complaining to someone who answers the phone -- ask for their supervisor and if you are still not satisfied, ask for the supervisor's supervisor until you work your way to the top. Print some of these responses off and let them see some of their customers' opinions.

silverfox57
15-Feb-08, 18:28
Beskisman:
Well i phoned their head office and was told "I may have been given the wrong information" but they where not to blame .They are sorry! but local gossip sites will not dent their turnover or profit margin.
I should not wait when the next SALE offer comes around but get in quick...they put the phone down..
hi beskisman. blood pressure started to rise soon as the big stores got planning consent,cheap sales to open, then this is there after sale care,high st and bridge st in wick is like a gost town, because of two retail parks in wick ,better take a pill and cool down ,:(

bekisman
15-Feb-08, 19:38
silverfox57: 'hi beskisman. blood pressure started to rise soon as the big stores got planning consent,cheap sales to open, then this is there after sale care,high st and bridge st in wick is like a gost town, because of two retail parks in wick ,better take a pill and cool down'

Sorry? just for the record;
'nought wrong with my blood pressure (dozy was alluding to me earlier suggestion).. Notice though that 'values' in Bridge street is closing; Tesco again!

Geo
15-Feb-08, 19:54
I'd ask Trading Standards on the legality of that. BTW we often find Argus sells similar or the same items for much less. I think they are the same company.

Cinderella's Shoe
15-Feb-08, 20:17
I'd go round at a busy time and insist on speaking to the manager. Loudly. Getting the attention of other customers is not something they will want. You should get some listening time. Just make sure you have your facts in order before you go, with details, dates and prices. Also try and identify the staff member who gave you the duff info before you go to the manager.

Good luck.

miranda
15-Feb-08, 22:54
homebase price's are astronomical...i always go to the sawmill...loads cheaper..
there wallpaper choices are minimal and never seems to change[evil]
and felt staff were slightly unhelpful and moody!!!!!

TBH
15-Feb-08, 22:58
Beskisman:
I should not wait when the next SALE offer comes around but get in quick...they put the phone down..Caithness may well be a small part of their business but if they treat every customer like excrement then they are not going to be a very big company for long. Vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere.

TBH
15-Feb-08, 23:00
homebase price's are astronomical...i always go to the sawmill...loads cheaper..
there wallpaper choices are minimal and never seems to change[evil]
and felt staff were slightly unhelpful and moody!!!!!Fantastic, support your local businesses and show those corporate monsters that you will not be taken for a mug. Is there any truth in the rumour that tesco are charging more in their thurso store for some items than they do in wick?

TBH
15-Feb-08, 23:02
I'd ask Trading Standards on the legality of that. BTW we often find Argus sells similar or the same items for much less. I think they are the same company.Argos and Homebase are the same company.

footie chick
16-Feb-08, 00:22
Argos and Homebase are the same company.

Bought bedside lamps out of Argos 2 for £9.99 went into Homebase and in the sale you could get one for £7.99. :eek:
As for paint its is loads cheaper getting it local along with everything else;)

sphinx
16-Feb-08, 01:09
yup i know what aprice there tools are you are better buying of ebay and u can buy lights anything u want........:D

BRIE
16-Feb-08, 11:49
i went to homebase a couple of weeks back for a shower found one that was reduced to half price took it to the till & it came up as full price told the assistant who rang the manager & was told no it wasnt in the sale. I stood & argued my case as there was a great big sign next to the shower with the half price offer on it! she said i must of been mistaken so my partner went back up the stairs to prove the point just as the manager was removing the sign!! He tryed to tell my partner he must of been looking at a different shower then confessed that it was actually advertised as half price but the offer had ended & we couldnt have it for that price!
I really wasnt impressed! thought if it was advertised for that price they had to sell it for that amount.

badger
16-Feb-08, 19:06
i went to homebase a couple of weeks back for a shower found one that was reduced to half price took it to the till & it came up as full price told the assistant who rang the manager & was told no it wasnt in the sale. I stood & argued my case as there was a great big sign next to the shower with the half price offer on it! she said i must of been mistaken so my partner went back up the stairs to prove the point just as the manager was removing the sign!! He tryed to tell my partner he must of been looking at a different shower then confessed that it was actually advertised as half price but the offer had ended & we couldnt have it for that price!
I really wasnt impressed! thought if it was advertised for that price they had to sell it for that amount.

Maybe we need to go armed with digital cameras and take a pic. of any sale offers before going to the checkout. If they've made a mistake and forgotten to take a sign down, that's their bad luck. Manager was probably scared of being fined or losing his job.

I go in sometimes as they do occasionally have something I want but the place really needs sorting out. The loos are disgusting (at least the Ladies is, can't speak for the other side :roll: ) - dirty and broken, even lights don't all work. At least Tesco are kept clean and tidy. As for the muzac in Homebase - whenever I'm tempted to browse around I'm driven out by that awful noise. Why do they assume we all like it? A few quiet Highland CDs would surely please everyone, or just background. Keep meaning to complain but don't suppose it would make any difference from what you've all said.

skinnydog
16-Feb-08, 19:28

We we getting a new kitchen this time last year. Got the lad in home base to do a plan etc. Still waiting for the quote. MURDER.
Kitchen installed last March, but not from Home base.

skinnydog
16-Feb-08, 19:33
hi spent a lot on diy such as wood ,paint,tools, have found had homebase is not cheap,rob at sawmill is half the price, paint shop on bridge st.is a lot cheaperfor paint .shearer next to army hall the same for tools,it still payes to shop from local firms,

Rob at the saw mill is a lot cheaper for wood that anywhere else in the county. I built a small garden shed last autumn and Rob was £150 lass for the wood that the Thurso bilders, Allans of gillock or any of the timber merchants in Inverness. And Rob delivered to Thurso free. MAGIC

Macwull
16-Feb-08, 19:35
Was in homebase today for their 10% day and got a few bargains. If you don't need it immediatley you just have to wait and it'll be reduced!!

I'll admit they are expensive for most things esp electrical stuff but I only notice it because im an electrician, its handy I suppose!!

STUDMUFFIN
16-Feb-08, 19:49
i have been in the home improvement trade a while and homebase have always charged over the odds for inferior items compared to the other superstores.

sprint95m
16-Feb-08, 20:41
Is there any truth in the rumour that tesco are charging more in their thurso store for some items than they do in wick?

The UK supermarket companies all have variable pricing structures.
Various factors come into play, such as the proximity of competition, who the competition is, the number of competing shops, etc. (This is why national TV or newspaper adverts are for offers "at selected stores only".)
They all tend to "pricematch", while giving the impression that their competitors have lowered prices to match them.
The size of the store is another important factor, as a bigger store can stock a wider range of prodcts, therefore increasing the probability of impulse buying.
To be fair to (the American owned) Asda, their stores all sell an item for the same price throughout the UK. This is a factor that has contributed to them being consistently named as the cheapest place to buy groceries in surveys.

TV programmes such as Working Lunch on BBC2 discuss and explain these topics frequently, therefore none of this stuff should be surprising.

sprint95m
16-Feb-08, 20:56
Maybe we need to go armed with digital cameras and take a pic. of any sale offers before going to the checkout. If they've made a mistake and forgotten to take a sign down, that's their bad luck. Manager was probably scared of being fined or losing his job.

Some (most?) businesses will honour displayed prices even where a genuine mistake has been made, but this is as an act of "goodwill" because they wish to protect their good name and encourage you, as a customer, to keep shopping with them.
In law, a business does NOT have to sell an item or service (whether or not it is advertised).
Managers in chain stores all work to achieve targets (and therefore gain bonuses) so are under pressure, but obviously, they choose to put themselves under that pressure when accepting the job in the first place!

Tristan
16-Feb-08, 22:07
I try to buy local but I refuse to pay way over the odds. If I can't get it at a good price locally, screwfix is the better place to go. Better quality than the big stores and way cheaper!