PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bible Bashers On Channel 4

Gizmo
15-Feb-08, 00:33
Did anyone else watch this?, what a truly shocking program, my opinion on it.....dispicable brain washing of innocent children, without turning this into an anti religious rant based on my views i have to say that i find these people as offensive and frightning as any muslim with fanatical views, it was a truly shocking program.

Still...not nearly as fanatical and brain washed as The Westboro Baptist Church

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

A one way ticket to Guantanamo Bay is what is needed for that lot.

justine
15-Feb-08, 00:38
Did anyone else watch this?, what a truly shocking program, my opinion on it.....dispicable brain washing of innocent children, without turning this into an anti religious rant based on my views i have to say that i find these people as offensive and frightning as any muslim with fanatical views, it was a truly shocking program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church)

I believe in freedom of speach but what they are doing with these children is not far off abuse...The effects it will have on them in their lives will be devastating as they grow...
Off to the bay they go...........:(

MadPict
15-Feb-08, 00:59
God bless America......

scotsboy
15-Feb-08, 08:17
I actually work with someone who has had first hand experience of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. The guys son was brutally murdered becuase of his sexual orientation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard

Ash
15-Feb-08, 09:51
me and my partner watched this and i was disturbed, that poor little boy, he's brainwashed and he shouldnt of been in new york and around all that violence![evil]

ett23
15-Feb-08, 10:39
I watched some of the programme but it annoyed me so I turned it off. From what I saw the parents said it was the little boy who decided to do this sort of preaching and they supported him. He's not brainwashed - I think he's possessed!! :eek:

MadPict
15-Feb-08, 10:47
me and my partner watched this and i was disturbed, that poor little boy, he's brainwashed and he shouldnt of been in new york and around all that violence![evil]

Violence? I saw no violence. They were just challenging his pappies beliefs. Probably no more dangerous a place than Speakers Corner in Hyde Park...

You had to feel a bit sorry for the wee lad as he sat there all confused and tears starting rolling down his cheeks - bet he wished he was back home playing with his dogs....

ett23
15-Feb-08, 10:51
You had to feel a bit sorry for the wee lad as he sat there all confused and tears starting rolling down his cheeks - bet he wished he was back home playing with his dogs....

Actually I feel rather sorry for the parents! How do you handle a kid who does nothing but shout at people in the street that they should believe in Christ and the Bible, and all the rest of it. And he was only 7 - how can he possibly know and understand everything in the Bible anyway?:confused

bekisman
15-Feb-08, 10:53
Not sure if it's the same programme, but was this the one with Louis Theroux?

mccaugm
15-Feb-08, 10:54
I actually work with someone who has had first hand experience of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. The guys son was brutally murdered becuase of his sexual orientation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard

This made scary reading. IMHO everyone has the right to live their lives in the way that they choose, gay, lesbian, straight...whatever without the fear of persecution. I am stunned that killing a man because he happened to be gay was not regarded as a hate crime at the time of the offence.

Why should a religious group have the right to tell someone who is not affiliated to them, how to live their lives.

Good on Howard Stern for taking the common sense approach and berating these monsters for their insane beliefs.

badger
15-Feb-08, 10:58
As a Christian, who has always belonged to a tolerant and open-minded church, I find all types of fundamentalism horrifying. I don't know which is worse - unthinking people such as were seen on this programme who have swallowed the "you will go to Hell unless ...." message hook line and sinker, or the intelligent ones who are narrow minded, exclusive and actually believe every word of the Bible is literally true. Not that I recall any mention of the huge worms that were so terrifying that little boy.

I agree - it is child abuse and those children are going to be seriously messed up adults. This is all about power - frighten people enough and they will do what you tell them. It has absolutely nothing to do with the true message of love and forgiveness for all who seek it regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation or even the size of their sin if they are truly sorry (and only God knows that).

The basic message of every great religion can be twisted by people with an evil or misguided agenda.

Ash
15-Feb-08, 11:54
Violence? I saw no violence. They were just challenging his pappies beliefs. Probably no more dangerous a place than Speakers Corner in Hyde Park...

i found the way people were shouting and in each others face rather violent, i certainly wouldnt have my child in that enviroment

MadPict
15-Feb-08, 12:51
I think the lad suffered more violence at the hands of his parents. The mother stopped filming when he had the nerve to back chat to her. They seemed to believe in not sparing the rod with their kids.

balto
15-Feb-08, 13:50
i didnt actually watch it but i seen clips of it and that was enogh how people can brain wash such young children is beyond me, but hey only in america

Gizmo
15-Feb-08, 14:12
Not sure if it's the same programme, but was this the one with Louis Theroux?

No, Baby Bible Bashers was a different program on channel 4 last night.

I seperatly mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church and posted a link, these are the nutters that Louis Theroux did a documentary on, it was one of the most shocking and disturbuing things i have ever seen on tv.

Giz

bekisman
15-Feb-08, 16:01
Thanks Gizmo. Didn't see it, but next Tuesday; 19th Feb Channel 4 at 11.05pm, I've put it to record 'Baby Bible Bashers'..

Andrew C
15-Feb-08, 16:59
I didn't catch the programme last night, I'll try and see it when it is on again. I can imagine what the contents of the programme would have been though. I've sadly come across some people here and there who've done nothing but feed their children an evangelical script. And, like what people have been describing, when any of this is deconstructed, there is much anger and resentment that comes forward. This suggests that there is something lacking in the situation. I agree that there is a fundamental difference between bring a child up in the Christian faith, or any faith, and creating a bible robot. We teach our children the bible, Christian morals and beliefs. They are part of our family life and outlook. My oldest, who is five, naturally talks about his understanding of the bible and what he understands about God, not only at home, but at school and whatever his situation he is in. He is naturally curios and often asks questions of us as he works out these things for himself. Perhaps the difference is that they're not taught to be judgemental about people who don't share their beliefs, and they are shown and brought up to have love as a motivation. Although, he'll always be encouraged to 'tell people about Jesus.' Ultimately, my kids will make their own decision as to whether to follow God or not, I'll love them just the same. Someone mentioned something about sparing the rod. Whilst I very rarely physically chastise my son, he knows the consequences of wrong actions. If we spare the rod, either physically or 'psychologically' we do spoil the child. My boy isn't perfect at all and he is as much a kid as the rest, but its important that we raise our children in the way they should go, having a proper respect for others. Will be interested to catch the programme when its on again, but I imagine, like the documentary on the Phelps family, that it will be the case of picking out the cruellest of fundamentalists where love doesn't get a look in. This is a perversion of the word fundamentalism...its Fundamentalism with a capital 'f' where as we are fundamentalists with a lower case f...we ascribe to the bible as the innerrant word of God which we live out in the context of our lives by help of the Holy Spirit, reason and with reference to Christian tradition to aid the best possible fleshing out of the bible message. (This is called the Wesleyan quadrilateral for anyone wondering what I'm on about). There is always room for error in this, we never see the full picture, but we have enough of the basics to do a half decent job. The Salvation Army...putting the fun back into fundamental! [|) ;0)

mccaugm
15-Feb-08, 17:23
i didnt actually watch it but i seen clips of it and that was enogh how people can brain wash such young children is beyond me, but hey only in america

Because brainwashed children grow up to be brainwashed adults and continue the cycle of madness, hate and religious fundamentalism[evil]

mccaugm
15-Feb-08, 17:26

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church)

No, Baby Bible Bashers was a different program on channel 4 last night.

I seperatly mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church and posted a link, these are the nutters that Louis Theroux did a documentary on, it was one of the most shocking and disturbuing things i have ever seen on tv.

Giz

Which group are worse, the Scientology cult or the Westboro "cult"? Its a hard choice although I am veering towards Westboro only slightly.

Gizmo
15-Feb-08, 18:21
Which group are worse, the Scientology cult or the Westboro "cult"? Its a hard choice although I am veering towards Westboro only slightly.

Ha...aye thats a close call, both as mad as a bag of ferrets but i have to say that i think the Westboro Baptist Church have a few more ferrets in their bag, and most people think it's only muslim fundaMentaLists that they should be afraid of....how very very mistaken they are :)

Giz

_Ju_
15-Feb-08, 21:54
Britney Spears-baby bible bashers: same difference. Both are parents managing a childs show biz career. Very sad for the children.