PDA

View Full Version : Holistic Medicine Workgroup

A_Usher
14-Feb-08, 14:22
This is a unique opportunity to learn a variety of areas within complementary medicine.

This will be an ongoing weekly group and where possible and when people meet appropriate standards I will certify people in relevant areas, such as basic certification in homeopathy, hypnotherapy, stress management, reiki etc. This will be a free ongoing workshop.

Due to this I am looking for people with a serious interest in learning complementary medicine.
Over the last 15 years I have researched and studied with some of the worlds leading practitioners, and have myself went onto become an international lecturer and tutor in areas such as Homeopathy, as Regional Director for the British institute of Homeopathy, and hypnotherapy etc.

I have a real passion that people have the capacity for change and wish to pass on what I have learnt to other so they in turn can help others.

Many of you may have read the article on some of my research in yesterdays courier for example.

If you, like me have a passion for complementary medicine and others areas designated as parapsychology and wish to participate in my learning group then please get in touch.

I have room for 5 or 6 more people at this time, as I have already offered places to those on my other courses.
It will truly be a voyage of discovery, and will cover a wide range of topic from the viewpoint of both scientist and skeptic.

Along with theory there will be hands on experience, and scientific data handling, such as the use of modern physiological monitoring devices.
So, if you have an open mind, want to learn and share information then the opportunity is there for you.

Andrew Usher
LivingFlow.com

evelyn
14-Feb-08, 15:10
What level of certification do you intend to train participants to Andrew?
Evelyn

A_Usher
14-Feb-08, 15:27
It will depend on the subject. Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy will be to a basic level, Reiki, to 1,2 and 3. NLP to a basic level.

Those who want to go onto professional qualification level can do that with me, and i would need to work out the costs in that. My training company provides fully accredited Homeopathic Medical Training, and Hypnotherapy, along with Practitioner and Master Practitioner NLP.

Those courses take much longer and do have considerable fees attached, but if people wanted that i would work something out. However I will certify all reiki, meditation and basic levels for free via the workgroup, but participants will have to do some home study and hands on supervised by me. There are lots of area in which i can certify people.

For those wishing professional accreditation then they will have the opportunity to do a clinical internship with me, to sit in with some of my consenting patients etc.

What i am providing is an opportunity to study with me, and also to undergo some basic Anatomy and Physiology and differential Diagnosis with my other half Dr Natasha Usher.

We want to inform and make people have more access to all forms of medicine and thought. However, this won't be an attend for one or two and get a certification, as we are only interested in those with a real interest, and by attending we will cover, and I MEAN cover all areas of complementary medicine, some of which people won't even have come across, and you will be getting access to Natasha and I, full access to us via our forum, www.livingflow.com.

Both of us are renowned tutors of complementary medicine, and Dr Natasha and I also have an internationally recognised course in Differential Diagnosis which is tutored worldwide for students involved in going for professional accreditation.

The opportunity is there for those who really want to lean and have access to us.

Andrew

Rie
14-Feb-08, 16:30
hi, Andrew,
i am really interested in this and wonder if you could pm me with details, dates, and if you have any places left?
with thanks.
Marie

A_Usher
14-Feb-08, 16:47
Hi Marie,
PM sent.
Anyone can register at our site, and keep up to date via developments, register an interest etc.

Andrew
www.livingflow.com

j4bberw0ck
15-Feb-08, 00:17
If the efficacy of homeopathic medicines increases with dilution, is there a danger of overdose if I take half as much as prescribed? Or if I take the prescribed dosage with water? Or, if having been prescribed a homoeopathic remedy, is it dangerous to me if I don't take any of it?

And if not, why not?

A_Usher
15-Feb-08, 09:45
If the efficacy of homeopathic medicines increases with dilution, is there a danger of overdose if I take half as much as prescribed? Or if I take the prescribed dosage with water? Or, if having been prescribed a homoeopathic remedy, is it dangerous to me if I don't take any of it?

And if not, why not?

Amusing, there is always one.

j4bberw0ck
15-Feb-08, 14:20
But spookily, never, ever, an answer............ :lol:

I apologise for my sense of humour, although the joke's based on homoeopathy's own precept that increasing dilution gives greater efficacy. It's heartening to see that the use of NHS resources on homoeopathic medicines seems to be declining as well; there's been a good deal of publicity on this subject in recent weeks as I'm sure you know better than I - I'm just an interested, intelligent, bystander with some curiosity.

A 30X dilution means that the original substance has been diluted 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times. Assuming that a cubic centimeter of water contains 15 drops, this number is greater than the number of drops of water that would fill a container more than 50 times the size of the Earth.

Imagine placing a drop of red dye into such a container so that it disperses evenly. Homeopathy's "law of infinitesimals" is the equivalent of saying that any drop of water subsequently removed from that container will possess an essence of redness.

Since the least amount of a substance in a solution is one molecule, a 30C solution would have to have at least one molecule of the original substance dissolved in a minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of water. This would require a container more than 30,000,000,000 times the size of the Earth.As a comparision, the sun is roughly one million times the size of earth.

Rheghead
15-Feb-08, 19:58
A 30X dilution means that the original substance has been diluted 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times.

I have diluted a few things in my time and I can assure you that that doesn't mean that, at least not in chemistry jargon that I am accustomed to.

A 30X dilution would be 1ml aliquot made up to 30mls with solvent in a grad flask or something similiar.

Perhaps the notation is used differently by those to different fields of work.

A_Usher
15-Feb-08, 20:38
But spookily, never, ever, an answer............ :lol:

I apologise for my sense of humour, although the joke's based on homoeopathy's own precept that increasing dilution gives greater efficacy. It's heartening to see that the use of NHS resources on homoeopathic medicines seems to be declining as well; there's been a good deal of publicity on this subject in recent weeks as I'm sure you know better than I - I'm just an interested, intelligent, bystander with some curiosity.

As a comparision, the sun is roughly one million times the size of earth.

I have answered this many times, and not that long ago on this forum. Homeopathy is based upon the law of similars, and whilst diluted remedies can be part of the treatment, many other low potency tinctures are used. What you buy over the counter can be different to what a registered practitioner will give you.

Homeopathy is based upon the law of similars, the totality of symptons and the process of dilution and succussion.

I can refer to you lots of clinical trials etc if you wish, and as regard to the NHS there are still many practitioners using homeopathy, such as GP's, OT's etc.

However the workshop wont just be about homeopathy, it will be looking at complementary medicine as a whole, and if you really want to learn, then you are welcome to attend, and you may just learn something from people with actual clinical experience.

Andrew

A_Usher
15-Feb-08, 20:53
Again in regard to the NHS, this weeks BMA magazine, has an article on treating depression with homeopathy.

I thought i better mention we do still also have several Homeopathic Hospitals (NHS) in the UK, and the Royal Family are still very keen on homeopathy, in fact i taught Princess Dianna's nutritionist homeopathy many years ago as he was one of my students whilst studying with the British Institute of Homoeopathy.

Moi x
16-Feb-08, 02:27
I have diluted a few things in my time and I can assure you that that doesn't mean that, at least not in chemistry jargon that I am accustomed to.

A 30X dilution would be 1ml aliquot made up to 30mls with solvent in a grad flask or something similiar.

Perhaps the notation is used differently by those to different fields of work.Yes, it is. In homeopathy, X doesn't mean 'times', rather it stands for '10 to the power of'. A 30X dilution is a 10^30 dilution. Similarly, a 30C dilution is a dilution by (100)^30. The X and C are Roman numerals.

A_Usher
16-Feb-08, 14:47
Thanks to all who applied, confirmation emails are going out very soon. As of this time unless we have cancellation for the program all places have been taken. If people continue to be interested ill look at a third group.

However we will be arranging more individual workshops.
Our popular meditation and stress management class will be available soon.

A_Usher
22-Feb-08, 12:12
Just a reminder that for everyone in Workgroup A that the first session is this coming monday, february 25th at 7pm, at Dunbeath Surgery.

First lecture will be on science, the debate on complementary medicine and a framework of operation. We will discuss the pro's and cons of complementary medicine, discuss is their evidence to support it, the validation of such evidence and i will discuss different methods, clinical examples and some case book studies.

We will no doubt chat about much more. We will be looking at complementary medicine from both the therapist, the patient and the sceptic, as its important to understand all aspects, beliefs systems etc.

If you have been assisgned to group 2, please contact me in regard to its proposed start date and time.

Andrew

scotsboy
22-Feb-08, 14:18
I must admit to being more than a little intrigued at these courses, seminars, lectures, training, certification, therapy et al. I notice that often there is an introductory “free” session – are all subsequent sessions free? I ask as it seems that the posts would be better served in the “Classifieds” section – but note that all business adverts will be removed………probably because the site would prefer the advertising revenue………..just a thought.

A_Usher
22-Feb-08, 15:08
The training for the weekly workgroup is free, and as stated in previous post, the certification at basic levels is free. It is the aim of our medical surgery to introduce patients to all aspects of medical care, to allow them to have greater opportunities.

If you had cared to read the threads you would have noted that, and also have noted that we gave free introductory certification to those interested in NLP, which given some places charge over 900 pounds for i felt was not a bad thing to do.

We are a medical surgery, attempting to provide a wider range of services to patients to educate as a public service in order to highlight that medicine does indeed have a variety of services to offer. I truly believe medicine need s to move on, to appreciate the needs of client and to integrate as a whole making itself more accountable and accessible to the public, and it can only do this by opening its doors and informing and empowering the public.

Andrew Usher
Dunbeath Surgery

scotsboy
22-Feb-08, 17:50
All very laudable Andrew, but of you read my six word life story in the literature section you may see where I am coming from. Perhaps you can explain what benefits you anticipate in return? Because even if you are doing it all for free, these is indeed a cost associated with staging such events.

A_Usher
22-Feb-08, 19:36
Well,
The only real cost is my time, which is why I only want one or two groups, as i have to spend time with my family, etc. We will subsidise handouts and rental and general costs as we do in workshops with refreshments etc by using the surgery and our own income.

I hope, and I really hope this can happen is that we can get people really interested, get them up to a basic level and then get them the opportunity to go out and get further training or get them to a level where by they could set up or add to their existing workplace.

We wont be here for ever, another two or three years max, i have been asked to possibly do some work for a television program and my private practice takes up a lot of my time, so i really want people who could possibly take over when we do finally leave, and not only that who can pass on what they know to others, help friends a family etc.

HOWEVER, complementary medicine has a rough time in certain areas, primarily because a lot of the training just sucks, and people pay good money to train with people who don't know their big toe from their anus, and i want to try to resolve that.

I am very skeptical by nature, my first uni training was engineering, and i am very science based, so when i lecture internationally i like to present scientific findings, the latest clinical finding etc.

One of the reasons why i invested several thousand into a state of the art physiological unit is so i can research therapies, practitioners and to see what brainwave activity there is, to see if is reproducible etc.

I don't believe all complementary medicine works, but i have set up a research group to examine it.

I guess my overall aim is to let people see that they can indeed take responsibility of their own health, and introduce them to ways of doing it. At the moment we try to give all our own patients free access to complementary medicine, and when i say that i encompass CBT and psychology also. I wish more practices would look at the overall patients requirements.

I won't lie, i do have a private practice and make money from that, and a large percentage of my clients are private from out with our area, but I try to balance that out with free training and workshops where i can, and try to push my clients to a position of self empowerment, and i often feel i am fighting a losing battle with this and other medical practitioners, but i try to run under one main premise, that being treat patients and clients how you want to be treated.

Right, rant over.

Andrew

davem
22-Feb-08, 20:50
All very laudable Andrew, but of you read my six word life story in the literature section you may see where I am coming from. Perhaps you can explain what benefits you anticipate in return? Because even if you are doing it all for free, these is indeed a cost associated with staging such events.

Bitter and twisted it would seem. despite the cloak of cynicism.

If someone is good enough to provide training, time and expertise free when they could be earning or spending quality time at home then the last thing they need is a bucketful of your negativity.
If you go through life expecting the worst of everyone you may well avoid disappointments but you'll miss out big time.
All you have demonstrated is a lack of ability to assess the real value of things.

I for one will put my name forward for the third group, my only reason for leaving things later is my wife is going to the first.
Thanks Andrew

Dave

scotsboy
23-Feb-08, 09:26
Where have I been negative Dave? Simply asked a question relating to the charges - because ot me it seems like a marketing strategy, and thus these posts are a form of free advertising - which is not extended to anyone else.

I am sure the seminars and training are first class.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 09:53
Are there any big skeptics out there then? I've not had experience with homeopathic "medicines"....so cannot really speak from personal experience. Many people think it's just the placebo effect? I really don't know but I hope at some point I get to experience this "medical" practice.

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 10:49
Everything has a 50 - 55 percent placebo effect, this has been validated through lots of scientific research, as when you administer anything you engage into 'belief systems' so for some people i am sure there is a placebo effect with homeopathy, anti inflammatory medication etc.

I utilise the placebo every day i see patients for clinical hypnotherapy, or psychotherapy as i engage into their interpretation of their model of the world and offer them solutions that interact with their model of the world.

Many clinical trial have been done on homeopathy with evidence either way, similar to many medical trials with conventional medication.

In regard to placebo, some written papers on the subject:

Beecher (1959) 15 double blind studies in regard to post operative pain
White, Tursky and Schwartz 1985
Federick Evans 1985 - the 55 percent placebo response

There are thousands more I could cite, but I just don’t have time.

Equally there are many homeopathic medical trials with animals and humans showing double blind trials:

Randomised controlled trial of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series : BMJ 2000;321:471-476 ( 19 August )

Reilly DT, Taylor MA. Potent placebo or potency? A proposed study model with initial findings using homoeopathically prepared pollens in hay fever. Br Homoeopathic J 1985; 74: 65-75.

Reilly DT, Taylor MA, McSharry C, Aitchison T. Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet 1986; ii: 881-886.

Linde K, Clausius N, Ramirez G, Melchart D, Eitel F, Hedges LV, Jonas WB. Are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo effects? A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials. Lancet 1997; 350: 834-843

Ferley JP, Zmirou D, D'Adhemar D, Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989; 27: 329-335

Kleijnen J, Knipschild P, ter Riet G. Clinical trials of homoeopathy. BMJ 1991; 302: 316-323.

This is for Moi,
In regard to vibrational medicine I had hoped from my writings and your research you would have seen that all medicine you consume are vibrational given the fact its not the medicine per say that causes change per say, but your biochemical response to it, which can be correlated by the fact its energy, and therefore measurable, and as all molecular structure has a frequency as per quantum theory It is vibrational medicine.

Individual therapies and their efficiency is a different topic, but I have quoted the citations above, so all you need to do is take the time to research it.

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 10:51
Ok, will look into cheers.

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 10:59
Where have I been negative Dave? Simply asked a question relating to the charges - because ot me it seems like a marketing strategy, and thus these posts are a form of free advertising - which is not extended to anyone else.

I am sure the seminars and training are first class.

I may well be guilty of marketing and free advertising,

However, i do feel we are providing an extension of our medical practice to try and give patients a much better service, knowledge and accessibility to an area filled with loads of charlatans and people happy to rip off people left right and centre, which is something that really annoys me.

Our free workshops and training are not for profit, we subsidize all the costs, rental, time, handouts, insurance, certification and supplementary costs such as heating and lighting and refreshments.

I can understand the concern, and if Bill, Niall etc feel we at Dunbeath Surgery are abusing the use of the forum then we won't post here, but I do feel it would be a shame, as many people want knowledge of medicine and complementary medicine and don’t know where to go and it's not an uncommon experience for us to come across people paying ridiculous amounts of money for something that is not for them.

Personally, I don’t believe that all of the complementary, and for that matter conventional medicine works, but I am in a very privileged position of having trained with some of the world's best trainers, and have access to pretty much everything that happens in the complementary medical world and I am happy to put people on the right road.

So, all I can do is apologise if I have been posting out of turn.

Andrew

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:05
Of course conventional medecine works. It's tested repeatedly and is based on science...as for complementary "medecine"....it's based on what's in your head. Not meaning to be nasty but everyone's entitled to their own opinions!

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 11:12
Of course conventional medecine works. It's tested repeatedly and is based on science...as for complementary "medecine"....it's based on what's in your head. Not meaning to be nasty but everyone's entitled to their own opinions!

Sorry my friend but if you think all conventional medicine works then you are sadly mistaken, and have not understood anything that i wrote above, citing medical trial by medical practitioners. Hypnosis and Accupuncture are both two complementary medicines that are used frequently in conventional medicine.

As a partner in a dispensing medical practice, i KNOW not all conventional medicines work going by the fact it is not uncommon for some to be recalled.

Champix, the new smoking cessation drug only work in around 26 percent of people but is marketed primarily as it is believed to be more effective than will power alone.

So it doesn't work for everyone and has proven medically not to.

SO please if you want to chat about efficiency of medicine or complementary medicine just have a little incline of what you are talking about.

Andrew

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:14
Yeah, I do have a little incline of what I'm talking about...I didn't say conventional medecine worked for EVERYONE...I just said it works, eg some people find benefits from them. You should really try and understand what I'm saying before you go racing in to it.

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 11:20

Yeah, I do have a little incline of what I'm talking about...I didn't say conventional medecine worked for EVERYONE...I just said it works, eg some people find benefits from them. You should really try and understand what I'm saying before you go racing in to it.

Sorry but you wrote the above, not me, which highlights to me you have little knowledge of medicine, its application and relationship to physiological and psychological conditions.

You may want to think about what complementary medicine means to you as a label and how its applies to medicine as a whole, as medicine as a whole has so many adjuncts, and uses many therapy systems some of which people would class as complementary medicine.

And as for your comment, then yes :) many people find conventional medicine works for them, and some people find complementary medicine for them also.

router
23-Feb-08, 11:42
maybe you all who have an interest in this should read into it first save your time and money and go to your own GP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy)

http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html)

these need to be read through carefully,incidentally the nhs is considering closing the use of alternative medicines as there is no solid scientific evidence to support its uses.they are probably about as usefull as crystal healing in which a study was done and found to have no effect at all....

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 11:51
maybe you all who have an interest in this should read into it first save your time and money and go to your own GP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy)

http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html)

these need to be read through carefully,incidentally the nhs is considering closing the use of alternative medicines as there is no solid scientific evidence to support its uses.they are probably about as usefull as crystal healing in which a study was done and found to have no effect at all....

Thanks router...someone else sees my point of view!

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 12:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy)

http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://breathspakids.blogspot.com/2007/01/homeopathy-and-herbalism-on-nhs-who_10.html)

There is nothing at this present time to say the NHS is closing alternative medicine, what happened is that letters in ENGLAND got sent round to the primary care trust purporting to come from the NHS stating that homeopathy wasn't cost effective and therefore referrals should not be sent to the homeopathic hospitals, however if you look at the evidence homeopathy is much more cost effective than normal medicine, and there has been public outcry about this. The situation in Scotland is different and there is no removal of funding from the Scottish Homeopathic Hospitals and services, which remain on the NHS if requested.

Also remember that we are talking specifically now about homeopathy which has been available on the NHS since set up and other forms of complementary medicine, such as acupuncture that physiotherapy use and similarly Hypnosis is still widely used in the NHS.

So if you want to write about thing, please post factual information.

I am posting this as a Partner in Dunbeath Surgery involved with day to day primary care.

I think therefore I am in a much better position to have ACTUAL FACTUAL information than Wikipedia.

So, before you post, please get your facts correct, correctly identify what you believe complementary medicine is, understand what is available via the NHS and more importantly from area to are.

davem
23-Feb-08, 13:07
Thats alot of comment between bed and firing up the pc.....what I tried to get across was that there are genuinely altruistic, principled people who do what they feel is right without reference to profit.

The idea that wikipedia should be set against published, independantly verified scientific studies is a little worrying. - no terrifying, it's maybe useful for pub quiz answers but not to base a healthcare system on.

Alternative therapy often has a different belief system underlying it's delivery, a lot of the science is based on people's condition before and after the therapy's use. I have always enjoyed science but take it to degree level and you discover that there are more questions unanswered than answered.
My experience has been; Acupuncture to stop smoking - felt totally elated for a fortnight without fags, Reiki for a sore shoulder - no physical contact, no great expectation it would work either...... the idea that someone can change how your body feels without touch or tablets was astonishing.

So science can often not (yet) explain cause and effect, but it can prove efficacy; just because one cannot use science to understand every aspect of a treatment surely only means that science hasn't yet got all the answers.
In conventional medicine the actual action of many treatments is often not understood fully (or at all), the science there and choice of what to use is solely governed by whether people have improved after the treatment and of course how much it costs!.

I return to my original point - if we have someone in Caithness prepared to commit so much time, energy enthusiasm and expertise to a worthwhile cause; should so much posting be aimed at directing negativity in their direction. Looking a gift horse in the mouth comes to mind, if it were me with talents to share I would feel that a less gloomy pasture could well be preferable to this one.

I am struck by how polite these postings have been,except for my first -sorry scotsboy. maybe its the e-equivelent of road rage. I hope the above explains where I am coming from.

router
23-Feb-08, 13:20
then you show me some actual factual evidence that supports your claims,you show me scientific evidence that these remedies or rather placebos work.of course you are going to claim it works as that is your buisness that you make money from.if you had read the articles that are attached to the the threads you would find that even researchers in Birmingham University have called quackery at its worst and in most cases the original solution hardly existed any more in the preparations,not even a molecule!
the only way you will ever cure any common ailments and the like is by proper medication and or a change in diet and or lifestye.you will never convince me that any of this complementary rubbish actually works and it is nothing but pseudoscience.as for reiki and hypnotherapy the only thing you are doing is messing with peoples heads who are for some reason or another dont know any better, you are only preying on the weak and insecure best thing you ca do is send them to their own GP

davem
23-Feb-08, 13:41
Most are polite anyway!
Router what I implied was that I have evolved slightly beyond knuckle dragging, I have experienced Reiki because I had a sore shoulder, it worked, I am as sceptical as most of the posters here but with no understanding of why it worked. I am saying that IMHO I am a sane, balanced and reasonably secure and confident person who has experienced a change in my pain/comfort levels as a result of parting with £15 hard earned and from a limited budget.
Complementary medcine means just that, it complements healthcare, you may well have met exploitative people in your life, that is sad, sadder still that you could read the preceeding posts and still post your final sentance.

You couldn't be more wrong, try reading through this and other posts again with preconceptions held in check a little more.

scotsboy
23-Feb-08, 14:36
No problem Dave. I think the subjects are really worthy of debate/discussion and admit I am VERY ignorant in these matters..........if my cynicism (albiet bitter and twisted on occassion;) ) spurs discussion and debate hopefully it has been positive:)

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 14:51
I guess my wife can't be a proper GP, nor the thousands of GP's, pathologists etc be 'proper', as they offer homeopathy.
I should add at Dunbeath Surgery you can have homeopathy, hypnotherapy, psychotherapy, diet and nutrition and psychophysiology and other as part of your ordinary treatment, in fact I feel at least you should be able to get from your GP is a good working knowledge of Anatomy, physiology, diet, nutrition and psychology . We shouldn’t be just pushing pharmaceuticals, we should be providing solid working treatment plans. After all we pay our taxes for this service, we should be having accessibility to modern medicine, and have practitioners who can integrate and offer working solutions. But this is only my opinion.

Router, you are happy to talk about the lack of evidence, so have you read my citations above in regard to medical studies, because if you haven't you should, because you may start to understand and learn something.

As i mentioned before, and i assume you decided not to read it, homeopathy is based upon the law of similars, you may want to read that as its a fundamental principle, one that is used similarly with the use of vaccinations.
Equally not all homeopathic medicines are used beyond Avogadro's hypothesis, which means that many preparations and tinctures are active in dosage, but are applied to the physiological laws of similars.

So my questions to you is, do you believe everything you read or do you validate it and quantify it based on your own research, and I don’t mean Wikipedia.

I would also just like to mention that that homeopathy has been part of the NHS since its creation, and in fact a precursor to it, in many ways it shaped modern medicine, and it was primarily utilised by medical practitioners. Today there are many lay practitioners out there, but some of us who choose professional accreditation undergo 4 years of study, which includes anatomy and physiology, pathology etc.

I wish those who want to debate equally have the same length and duration of either medical training or at least understand how the body works, basic pharmacology, diet and nutrition and psychology and psychophysiology. Alas even a high percentage of GP's have little training in psychology and diet and nutrition, which is a little worrying given that a high percentage of case load is psychological orientated.

Homeopathy was one of the fundamentals of our health service and has treated several thousand patients successfully.

Hey, even at one point in mankind's existence we still thought the earth was flat, and that there were no peptides in the gut, but each and every day something new is being discovered.

Margaret M.
23-Feb-08, 15:53

C'mon now, you don't know what setting to put your fridge on or what groceries to buy to put in it but you know all about medical research?

justine
23-Feb-08, 17:24
C'mon now, you don't know what setting to put your fridge on or what groceries to buy to put in it but you know all about medical research?

I dont know much about the subject but i can say that i have tried just such things and found them no good for me,but it does not work for all..
As for the comment about rob, i think that just a tadge unjust....He sounds like a young lad asking for help and to be unjustly tried for his opinion...Are we such an expert to make that comment....many clever people may knowtheir field of expertise but cant boil an egg..............:eek:

router
23-Feb-08, 19:42
i am pretty well read on the subject of alternative medicines,complementary medicines and yes even spiritual healing so yes would say i do know what i am talking about and no i have need or reason to read any papers that you may have produced cause i have read all the claims before.
i was a believer in what you teach but during my other readings they got blown out the window..
i am a beleiver in pure scientific exploration and testing,and it still doesnt matter what you try to tell me....you will never regain my belief...

i notice by your signature you are a non clinical partner,what exactly does this mean what formal qualifications do you hold?and also how much do you charge for this course you are plugging as it seems you have missed this part out.....
ps, i am also pretty well read on anatomy physiology exercise diet and nutrition..;)
as for the NHS they cant make up there mind what to with their hospitals.they close them they open new ones the whole system is pretty well messed up wouldn't you agree..

scotsboy
23-Feb-08, 20:04
Router - What do you consider "pure scientific exploration and testing"?

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 20:06
Router, the course is free, but i would have thought you had known that if you had read the threads.

As you are so well read, and the fact Dunbeath surgery has a website and our complementary medicine site for the surgery is www.livingflow.com i assume you know what my qualifications are, such as former assistant director of the British Institute of Homeopathy, former tutor to princess Dianna's nutritionist. International lecturer on Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy, member of the homeopathic medical association, member of the Association of Professional Hypnotherapist and Psychotherapist, Scottish Director for courses for the Essex Institute of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy etc.

The reason I am a non clinical partner in Dunbeath Surgery is because I am not a GP.

Non complementary medical training has been in computer engineering and information technology, student a glasow university in computer science and psychology, etc.

Its all on the website.

There are no claims in the papers i cited, merely scientific and controlled double blind trials, but i guess you knew that already having read them :)

router
23-Feb-08, 20:12
its ok andrew took the time to read up on you too,still not convinced..........
sorry.................though i bow to a fellow martial artist

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 20:22
Thread drift,
What martial art do you study.
I have not trained in a few months, but i have trained in pretty much everything i could lay my hands on from kempo to silat, but although i train a couple of semi pro fighters in MMA, mostly muay thai and BJJ, i still go back to train JKD and escrima, no matter what i train, i always go back to the sticks.

My subconscious must be telling me something, although i have a soft spot for the Russian Martial arts i have learnt and taught.

router
23-Feb-08, 20:27
shotokan karate ,about 10 years in training though not practised for few years now due to family commitments but its still in my blood..............

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 20:37
Would that be with Spike,
Shotokan was my first martial art as a kid in Glasgow, was my first black belt, you had to work hard for it. A lot of places now they want to give you belts, two years ago a professional martial arts body wanted to upgrade me to a 6th dan in kickboxing from my 4th as an incentive to join their professional body. I told them to shove it, and i dont grade students any more, i like everybody to see each other as a training partner, and to simply enjoy, which is probably why i like the russain martial arts, as there is no BS, just training, open mind open heart.

I like it that way, seen to many instructors bully others just because they where a black belt, and equally when you go into muay thai and MMA it doesnt matter what belt you have, as you find out pretty soon what you can and what you cant do in a combat environment, and i like that, makes people humble and too appreciate training and more importantly training partners.

router
23-Feb-08, 20:49
no i trained in ayrshire with the kisan group,never bothered with grades after my yellow belt but by time i stopped was probably round black something dan,had a go at competition fighting by my right foot had too much of a liking for heads :confusedtoo fast on my temper and as you can guess all i got was disqualified.stuck to it though ,enjoyed sticks and katana.my sensei at the time was a guy called joe morton,brilliant tutor...

router
23-Feb-08, 20:52
i do have to mention i did find the peace within myself and occasionally go through some moves just to keep things fresh.............

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 20:59
You trained in Ayrshire, what year, i was born in 72, trained at glasford street in glasgow at the old days of Kobe Osaka with tommy morris, would have been about six, was there until 10 or 12, then did Tae Kwon Do with the ITF and master T K Loh.

The funny thing about Tommy Morris was he was harsh really harsh put the fear into me, so much so at school i would never hit back, not because i was worried about hitting other kids, but because i was worried about what tommy would say.

I have done a lot of traditional Japanese arts, i have loads of Katana's, malaysian Kris, as i spent lots of years learning knife fighting systems.

My little one, will be three this year, and is martial arts mad, he already has basic bjj down and basic muay thai. Shouldnt start me on martial arts i could rant for years.

A_Usher
23-Feb-08, 21:01
i do have to mention i did find the peace within myself and occasionally go through some moves just to keep things fresh.............

LOL. i never found any peace, i tried and trained in softer styles, such as tai chi, etc, but always wanted to go back to harder styles, loved muay thai, still do.

I got a really bad bout of psoriatic arthritis last year, and although i am through it i havent trained much in the last few months, and porked some weight on, my fighting weight for thai was 9.5 stone, now i am sitting at end of 12...

Need to to start cutting the weight and get my club fully back up and running.

router
23-Feb-08, 21:23
your'e making me think now ,started round 72-73 when i was 9-10 years old done a couple of years and was advised to stop following an op for 2-3 years went for another 8-10years then started practising on my own doing katas basic moves nunchaku,and katana..breaking wood and the likes....stopped going to the club because i found a lot that were joining were only in it for the fight and that is not really in my nature.....the culture behind the martial arts has degraded into the way of being a "hard man" and not the way of the quiet warrior who has found piece and serenity,its all just showmanship now even the shaolin seemed to have turned into a circus act for the masses..