PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts..Do they exist...

justine
14-Feb-08, 12:34
I have seen many a pic that suggests that they do but this one is quite clear.I hope they will be able to prove that they do....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm

sadam
14-Feb-08, 13:01
Looking at the photo it looks as if some form of transports has passed and left a trail of smoke from the exhaust, now with the sun shining through the tress is has made this shape. Thats what I think dont know about the rest of you.

justine
14-Feb-08, 13:09
When i first saw it it looked like someone running.but i read the story and it could be something..........

nanoo
14-Feb-08, 13:12
I have never seen a ghost and i hope i never will, however, i do think that such things exist. My own family(Mother and Two of my brothers)had an experience when my Dad was dying in hospital. They all saw the same thing, at different times and in different locations. This was never discussed by any of them for at least 6 months after my father had passed away, and it was my Mum who talked about it first and then my brothers said what they saw. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, i can tell you that for nothing. NO. i never want to see one, but YES i'm sure they exist.:eek:

cd1977
14-Feb-08, 13:12
Quite simply, no they don't.

justine
14-Feb-08, 13:29

And you know this HOW....:confused

cd1977
14-Feb-08, 13:41
Because I deal only in reality. Meaning the things which are real and tangible and which quite clearly exist.

Not some airy-fairy nonsense stories which grow arms and legs in the re-telling.

Those who seek to persuade us that such things exist in almost every case have a monetary motivation.

If however, you can PROVE otherwise, feel free.

henry20
14-Feb-08, 13:48
So much can be done with photos these days that I would never believe photographic evidence on anything!!

I hate wedding photos which have added dramatic skies etc. Its not exactly capturing 'your' day is it?

Nope, too many photo's are changed to make them more effective that they lose all sense of reality.

I'll believe in ghosts if I meet one!

justine
14-Feb-08, 13:51
Because I deal only in reality. Meaning the things which are real and tangible and which quite clearly exist.

Not some airy-fairy nonsense stories which grow arms and legs in the re-telling.

Those who seek to persuade us that such things exist in almost every case have a monetary motivation.

If however, you can PROVE otherwise, feel free.

I only deal with reality and what is logical to my mind, does not mean that these things dont exist..I would love to be the one to proove such things as i would become rich and famous...

crashbandicoot1979
14-Feb-08, 13:52
Yes they do exist. I have never seen one but until someone can prove to me beyond all doubt that they DON'T exist, then I will believe in them.

twiglet
14-Feb-08, 14:00

Just because you haven't experienced anything ghostly, it does not mean that these things do not exist.

Personal experience over the whole of my life contradicts inextricably your opinion. Some people will go their whole life without seeing a ghost or having some experience and then others, like myself have constant experiences. I can't prove it to you or change your mind. I have no ghostly pictures etc, just years of incidences that convince me that ghosts do exist.

cd1977
14-Feb-08, 14:01
No I thought not.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...................

Andrew C
14-Feb-08, 14:13
It may, or may not interest you about what the Bible does and doesn't say in this regard. It doesn't leave much room at all for the idea of ghosts as in the 'spirits' of dead people haunting the place, or being in a place so in that regard I don't believe in ghosts based on what the bible teaches.

It does, however, have plenty to say about another level of being in the form of angels or demons (fallen angels). They both make strong appearances throughout the bible. Now of course, some of you will dismiss that in your 'myth of the ancient text of the bible' theory....that's your prerogative.

I've been aware of both, being helped by the former and continually being involved in routing out the latter from people, places and areas. Sort of like exorcism, if you like, although the regular Christian term for it is 'deliverance.'

On that topic, if you have worries or fears in this area with regards to your home '#who ya gonna call?......Sally Army!#' (come on, sing along)

Andrew C

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 14:24
Not sure about ghosts as I've never come accross one.
On the other hand I definately believe in angels, from finding pennies and feathers in unusual places to feeling them brush past or give me a squeeze.
I came out of an accident when I should have been dead and know that an angel was there, can't explain it but just felt it at the time, even my surgeon said I had a lucky escape and shouldn't have been here.
I believe we all have guardian angels. It might sound crazy but I listen to my inner voice and ask my angel for help when I need it and it never fails to amaze me the good things that happen.
As I said never seen a ghost but felt a presence many times.:)
If I did see one I wouldn't be scared because I believe it's not the dead we should be frightened by but the living.

Rheghead
14-Feb-08, 14:30
I have seen many a pic that suggests that they do but this one is quite clear.I hope they will be able to prove that they do....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm

I saw a ghost in this picture of a grave yard, spooky eh?:roll:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Caithness/IMG_0365.jpg

johnlc
14-Feb-08, 14:36
I believe spirits are real,my mam died 4 years ago and she comes in visitation to my house and i spk to her,i dnt actually hear or c her but she has other ways of communicating with me.When i have spoken to her i ask her sometimes if i can take a foto of her and i tell her where to stand in my bedroom and when i take the picture there is an orb there so yes spirits are real

cd1977
14-Feb-08, 14:39
How can something "contradict inextricably" when you have no proof?

This kind of nonsense falls somewhere between Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. A fabrication, usually with a commercial overtone.

This kind of stuff should be the realm of children only. Adults should have more sense.

TBH
14-Feb-08, 14:44
I think we are all dead and this is purgatory.:D

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 14:49
Reading some of the rubbish posted here is fairly hellish right enough, TBH.

ciderally
14-Feb-08, 14:51
On the other hand I definately believe in angels, from finding pennies and feathers in unusual places to feeling them brush past or give me a squeeze.
I came out of an accident when I should have been dead and know that an angel was there, can't explain it but just felt it at the time, even my surgeon said I had a lucky escape and shouldn't have been here.
I believe we all have guardian angels. It might sound crazy but I listen to my inner voice and ask my angel for help when I need it and it never fails to amaze me the good things that happen.
If I did see one I wouldn't be scared because I believe it's not the dead we should be frightened by but the living.
well said sweetpea i agree with you

TBH
14-Feb-08, 14:54
It's like groundhog day sometimes.[lol]

scorrie
14-Feb-08, 15:24
Yes they do exist. I have never seen one but until someone can prove to me beyond all doubt that they DON'T exist, then I will believe in them.

As Mr Spock would say:- "Highly illogical Captain"

Any premise for belief has to work in exactly the opposite way.

Let's see if this makes sense:-

I have never seen a Unicorn, nobody can prove to me that they DON'T exist, therefore I must assume that they DO exist.

Or, does this make more sense?:-

I have never seen a Unicorn, no evidence of them exists, therefore I must assume that they don't exist, unless of course someone can prove that they do.

It is pretty clear to me which logic is better.

scorrie
14-Feb-08, 15:26

When is YOUR site launching again? ;)

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 15:51
No need, scorrie.

This place provides me with all the nonsense and bewilderment I can handle, to be honest, running the gamut from endless senseless posts just to reach that magical 1k milestone, through ill-thought-through knee-jerk reactions to perfectly agreeable viewpoints and on to fantastic statements passed as pure fact.

Why would I need my own site? :D

twiglet
14-Feb-08, 15:56
How can something "contradict inextricably" when you have no proof?

This kind of nonsense falls somewhere between Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. A fabrication, usually with a commercial overtone.

This kind of stuff should be the realm of children only. Adults should have more sense.

Whatever, I feel sorry for one so cynical. Back in my world, ghosts exist (have seen many) and so do angels. Like another .orger I had a brush with death and firmly believe in guardian angels (have seen a fair few of them too). If fact is enough for you then good luck to you, but don't dismiss others beliefs so quickly.

Haven't found my commercial overtone yet and for the record, no I don't believe in Santa Claus of the tooth fairy.

Rie
14-Feb-08, 16:07
I believe in ghosts and spirits etc.. but i do not think that this "video footage" is real, 1, it looks like a projected immage, 2 ,it is too still , and the fade is all wrong, Iknow some people will know what i mean by this.
Also as he is in a video club, has it not occured to any one that he is using special(not so special) effects so he gets his five minutes of fame!
the footge at hampton court palace ghost is much more realistic as to what a ghost sighting is like, i should know i have seen and heard many!

crashbandicoot1979
14-Feb-08, 16:15
As Mr Spock would say:- "Highly illogical Captain"

Any premise for belief has to work in exactly the opposite way.

Let's see if this makes sense:-

I have never seen a Unicorn, nobody can prove to me that they DON'T exist, therefore I must assume that they DO exist.

Or, does this make more sense?:-

I have never seen a Unicorn, no evidence of them exists, therefore I must assume that they don't exist, unless of course someone can prove that they do.

It is pretty clear to me which logic is better.

Its just my opinion. Not logic I apply to everything in life but its logic I apply in this instance.

Ash
14-Feb-08, 16:16
nobody on here has the right to tell someone what they believe in is wrong or dont exist. we are all allowed too feel and think what we wish, :D

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 16:19
That's actually not true, ash. You are perfectly within your rights to believe what you want, the same as I am perfectly within my rights to say that I think you are wrong to do so.

Opinions. That's what they're called.

cd1977
14-Feb-08, 16:23
Thanks for the sympathy.

What I am espousing is not cynicism, rather realism. And I would suggest to you that ghosts do not exist in the REAL world, i.e. the one which we all live in on a day to day basis.

Anything which may have occured to others, I have no doubt whatsoever, is the product of an over-active imagination.

Like I say, fairy stories.

Penelope Pitstop
14-Feb-08, 16:31

Hi Sweetpea
I've heard some folk on about pennies and feathers having something to do with ghosts/spirits...but what does it mean....can you explain...I'm curious.
Ta

scorrie
14-Feb-08, 18:04
Its just my opinion. Not logic I apply to everything in life but its logic I apply in this instance.

I am aware that it is your opinion. I can't call it logical though, and gave the example to demonstrate why. If you are to apply logic, it has to be the same logic for every situation. If you apply one logic to one situation and a different logic to another, then you would be tailoring the logic to suit the scenario and that would be, well, illogical.

Live long and prosper.

Thumper
14-Feb-08, 18:17
Well I will join the slating then...I believe in them because I have seen one..and no I wasnt imagining it,then my friend saw the same one at the same place and told me about it,BEFORE I told her what I had seen x

scorrie
14-Feb-08, 18:18
No need, scorrie.

This place provides me with all the nonsense and bewilderment I can handle, to be honest, running the gamut from endless senseless posts just to reach that magical 1k milestone, through ill-thought-through knee-jerk reactions to perfectly agreeable viewpoints and on to fantastic statements passed as pure fact.

Why would I need my own site? :D

I would tend to agree with you on the 1K milestone. Nobody congratulated me on reaching it, despite every single one of my posts being 24 carat perfection ;)

The site is a broad representation of the population, not everyone can be expected to have the same skills in creating posts that will interest all readers. It would be a strange board if it were solely occupied by cutting-edge, analytical minds talking way over the heads of most of us. Equally, it would be unappealing if it were totally along the lines of, "Did you see Eastenders last night, hasn't yon Jackie Bird let hersel go" type posts.

Instead of knocking the material, you could start threads that you considered more worthy of debate. That is why I wondered if you might start your own site and tailor it to the subjects you like to hear discussed. It is a bit harsh knocking people for discussing the light side of life. I just pass by those threads if they make no appeal to me.

xx_chickie
14-Feb-08, 18:20

In which case, cd, what do you think of abstract nouns? Emotions? Love (seeing as it's Valentines'!)? Do you not believe in feelings? One cannot see love, yet we know it's there.

nanoo
14-Feb-08, 18:24
Well I will join the slating then...I belive in them because I have seen one..and no I wasnt imagining it,then my friend saw the same one at the same place and told me about it,BEFORE I told her what I had seen xNo slating from me thumper. I've never seen one but i know family members who have. Do you recall who Doubting Thomas was? He did'nt see Jesus with his own eyes, so he did'nt believe. Oh, and incidentally thumper, you are probably like me and you believe in him as well. Silly us eh.:roll:

justine
14-Feb-08, 18:30
In which case, cd, what do you think of abstract nouns? Emotions? Love (seeing as it's Valentines'!)? Do you not believe in feelings? One cannot see love, yet we know it's there.

Maybe we should add aliens form outer space on to the list coz they dont exist either...DO THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?:eek:

Dog-eared
14-Feb-08, 18:34
Don't forget - every time you do something " naughty " , your dead grannie is sitting up there on a cloud , watching you do it....................

;):lol:

justine
14-Feb-08, 18:38
Don't forget - every time you do something " naughty " , your dead grannie is sitting up there on a cloud , watching you do it....................

;):lol:

Well aint it a god job we all good here on the org.Imagine how many grannies that would make watching us all...........

Julia
14-Feb-08, 18:44

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm)

That ghost is definitely real, don't you recognise him, it's Casper the friendly ghost! [lol]

justine
14-Feb-08, 18:46
That ghost is definitely real, don't you recognise him, it's Casper the friendly ghost! [lol]

Thought i recognised the face.Silly me.could have solved this ages back....;)

paris
14-Feb-08, 20:10
Well I will join the slating then...I believe in them because I have seen one..and no I wasnt imagining it,then my friend saw the same one at the same place and told me about it,BEFORE I told her what I had seen x
Well i will join you then Thumper as i have also see them many times. Its not worth saying how when or why as you just get knocked about it so i dont bother any more. jan x

dragon
14-Feb-08, 21:01
I believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs, maybe what some people see if in their imaginations then again how can we proof that it is. Maybe only certain people see/feel/hear ghosts. We just can't prove one way or another and there's no real harm in believing in something, if ghosts don't exist, then does religion? When i was younger i used to see a headless cat in my house, which i believe was the ghost of my cat that was knocked over, it was his head that was knocked. i remember someone saying to me thats why i couldn't see his head. Also I used to have deja vu very regularly, i'd been somewhere before, it was so vivid. For example i went over to a new friends house and we started to have dinner and it felt like i'd been there before, the way we sat, the conversation the meal we were having and the colour of the dinner mats. there was no way i'd know somethings as i'd never been to the house before.

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 21:43
That's actually not true, ash. You are perfectly within your rights to believe what you want, the same as I am perfectly within my rights to say that I think you are wrong to do so.

Opinions. That's what they're called.

Aye, there's some Onanists on her right enough;)

balto
14-Feb-08, 21:48
hi i firmly believe in ghosts and the afterlife i have had two experiances of this one when i was younger at old hall near watten and i was with my granda in his car when this female figure ran in front of grandas car this is one sight i will never forget, also about 10 years ag a really close friend of mine took his own life and a few months later he came to me in my sleep and told me he was free and happy no-one will ever confince me that this isnt real.

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 21:55
Hi Sweetpea
I've heard some folk on about pennies and feathers having something to do with ghosts/spirits...but what does it mean....can you explain...I'm curious.
Ta

I suppose it's just lek a calling card to let us know they are around and with us in case we need them. Nothing do do with spirits or ghosts just angels.:D

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 22:05

I've no idea what they're doing on her, but thanks for your input so far. :roll:

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 22:13
I've no idea what they're doing on her, but thanks for your input so far. :roll:

Oh well plain to see what they are doing on here to me, obviously we share a different view on that!

crashbandicoot1979
14-Feb-08, 22:15
I am aware that it is your opinion. I can't call it logical though, and gave the example to demonstrate why. If you are to apply logic, it has to be the same logic for every situation. If you apply one logic to one situation and a different logic to another, then you would be tailoring the logic to suit the scenario and that would be, well, illogical.

Live long and prosper.

Aha, but thats just the modern approach. I take the postmodern approach which means tailoring the logic to suit the situation. Which in turn I suppose is indeed illogical, which means it isn't logic at all, which means I am now confused.... ;)

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 22:17
Oh well plain to see what they are doing on here to me, obviously we share a different view on that!

"Here" or "her"? Make your mind up for goodness' sake! ;)

crashbandicoot1979
14-Feb-08, 22:18
Well i will join you then Thumper as i have also see them many times. Its not worth saying how when or why as you just get knocked about it so i dont bother any more. jan x

As they say, to the non-believer no proof is possible, to the believer no proof is necessary. Or something like that. To be honest I think some people knock those who have seen ghosts because they're scared of the thought of them being real.:lol:

Whitewater
14-Feb-08, 22:24
I neither disbelieve or believe. Many strange things have happened in my life and I have no expanation for them. Perhaps there is a sixth dimension or as some people say "a sixth sense". Who knows. To be completely convinced that there is nothing there must be very boring, there are many things in this life that happen to us, both good and bad, which are unexplainable.

justine
14-Feb-08, 22:28
Look back at the posts my friend and check your own spelling if we're down to childish games like that. The misssing 'e' belongs to you.
But if you want to get all masoiginistic and turn it into a her thing then your welcome[lol]

Now please dont forget to count to 10 before take off time...

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 22:31
Look back at the posts my friend and check your own spelling if we're down to childish games like that. The misssing 'e' belongs to you.
But if you want to get all masoiginistic and turn it into a her thing then your welcome[lol]

Oh dear. Fishing against the wind.

Direct quote. Explanation please?

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 22:32
"Here" or "her"? Make your mind up for goodness' sake! ;)

Look back at the posts my friend and check your own spelling, if we're down to childish games like that. The misssing 'e' belongs to you.
But if you want to get all masoginistic and turn it into a her thing then your welcome[lol]

Metalattakk
14-Feb-08, 22:36
Didn't you just say that? Repeated posts, now? Isn't that the internet equivalent of basically admitting you have nowhere left to go with your point?

Well done.

Whitewater
14-Feb-08, 22:39
Tut Tut!!! who has thrown the dummy out of the pram??

justine
14-Feb-08, 22:41
ok so if there are no such things as ghosts, Who is the Holy ghost???...in our lords prayer...

Thumper
14-Feb-08, 22:44
Is it christmas?cos theres a few scrooges about tonight ;) x

sweetpea
14-Feb-08, 22:46
Has to be the God otherwise known as Metalattack! Justine do you see what you've started, lol!

justine
14-Feb-08, 22:48
Has to be the God otherwise known as Metalattack! Justine do you see what you've started, lol!

I know maybe i should not have started this wonder awe inspiring thread...I would not mind but i still dont know if they real..You think god might know....;)

justine
14-Feb-08, 22:59
That'll be us all "guilty " then...............:lol:

talk for yourself there dog eared i am innocent...Are we not....

Dog-eared
14-Feb-08, 23:16
Justine & everyone -

My original post was deleted by eh ORG because it was funny but risque/
It was about grannies watching everyone from the clouds, no matter what we were doing ,................it was a joke but got pulled.
But not before there was a looooooooooooong gap with no posts so I said jokingly " So wer'e all guilty "

Joke.:lol:

justine
14-Feb-08, 23:20
Justine & everyone -

It was about grannies watching everyone from the clouds, no matter what we were doing ,................it was a joke but got pulled.
But not before there was a looooooooooooong gap with no posts so I said jokingly " So wer'e all guilty "

I know i answered to it.......I have had a couple removed......
no jumping on your back or anything...;)

lady penelope
14-Feb-08, 23:28
I believe in ghosts. I also believe in things that have happened and maybe an imprint playing over, almost like a tape. Houses that are very old hold secrets and memories. Who am I to dis-believe! ;)

Andrew C
15-Feb-08, 01:58
ok so if there are no such things as ghosts, Who is the Holy ghost???...in our lords prayer...

The Holy Spirit, or, in old money, the Holy Ghost, is the third person of the Trinity. He is God in the same way that Jesus and the Father are.

Basically, he is the 'bit' of God who communicates with us in the here an now.

Better felt than telt, to be honest!

TBH
15-Feb-08, 01:59
The Holy Spirit, or, in old money, the Holy Ghost, is the third person of the Trinity. He is God in the same way that Jesus and the Father are.

Basically, he is the 'bit' of God who communicates with us in the here an now.

Better felt than telt, to be honest!Is jesus god and if god created man in his image why are we not sin free?
Actually, Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground." Who is god talking about when he says let's make man in our image?

sassylass
15-Feb-08, 02:12
Justine & everyone -

Pulled? Are you talking about post #38?

Dog-eared
15-Feb-08, 02:12
Exactly. If we are created in his image then he must be a sinner too , as we are , in his image.

sphinx
15-Feb-08, 02:17
nah they are not real:lol:

TBH
15-Feb-08, 02:18
Exactly. If we are created in his image then he must be a sinner too , as we are , in his image.Yep, born sinners and we have God to blame.

Dog-eared
15-Feb-08, 02:46
I like to treat people as I'd like them to treat me .

But as someone once said -

Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a Garage makes you a Car.

And just because you aren't a Christian, it doesn't mean you aren't a nice person.

TBH
15-Feb-08, 02:51
I like to treat people as I'd like them to treat me .
But as someone once said -

Going to Church doesn't make you any more of a Christian than standing in a Garage makes you a Car.Very true dog-eared. God is supposed to be omnipresent so what does it matter if a Christian goes to church or not. Live by your own good morals and you can say you have lived a good life without any religious intervention.

Rheghead
15-Feb-08, 13:01
I had to put my cat down 2 weeks ago after having him for 19 years. Both mrs rheg and myself seem to 'hear' his cries occasionally at the door and see him around the house for what seems like a split second.

I don't believe in ghosts but I do think the human brain is capable of playing tricks and creating ghosts, especially in the absence of the familiar and in times of grief etc.

It seems obvious to me that this phenomenon has ritualised itself into our society as ghosts and religious experiences.

justine
15-Feb-08, 13:43
The reason why i started this thread was to find out how many people believe they exist..I am sure that i had a ghost who lived with our family for many years....The description of him was a little boy wearing sky blue jacket,blue breeches, white socks, black shoes and had the Edwardian ruff round his neck.He has black curly hair.I would guess his age of about 9-11yrs old.He was not a tromenting type of sould more of a prankster.
Things would go missing and then reappear some 2-3 days later exactly where they were supposed to be.I have never seen him but the presense was there.
The description is the one that i had in my head everytime something funny happened...I dont know why i saw him this way it seems to specific to have been a figment of my imagination but i know i have never seen any sight of him.The kids have felt his presense.I do think he came to me because he was lonely and wanted friends.

I had tried for a few months to try and find out who he culs have been, in the area i was living with no luck..But i know he was there and i think, not sure but he is with us now.
Our Little eternal spook we call him and he is welcome....

Am i mad or just imagining things, I dont know, but i know what i felt....:)

johno
15-Feb-08, 19:30
do ghost,s really exist, only in your head if you want them to be. NO .

scorrie
15-Feb-08, 19:39
I know maybe i should not have started this wonder awe inspiring thread..

Is that "awe inspiring" in the sense that some readers are now thinking:-"Awe, will you give it a rest please" ;)

scorrie
15-Feb-08, 20:04
Aha, but thats just the modern approach. I take the postmodern approach which means tailoring the logic to suit the situation. Which in turn I suppose is indeed illogical, which means it isn't logic at all, which means I am now confused.... ;)

Quoted below is merely a PART, of a translator's INTRODUCTION to "The Metaphysical Foundations of Logic by Martin Heidegger"

I know that I don't want to rush out to buy the book based on the text below!! Talk about waffle and repetition. "Get to the bloody point" was what kept coming into my head. I prefer my own, simple, logic.

Enjoy this though ;) :-

"The metaphysics, then, which Heidegger finds at the foundation of modern logic is not simply an ontology of things, of substances and their relations, of individuals and their predicable properties. It is rather a pre-theoretical and implicit projection of a "world" by finite freedom. Such is the meaning of metaphysical statements; they are expressive of world or of a context of involvements. The world, in this sense, is an existential matrix for the generation of things, of individuals and their predicates. So it is the process of grounding that is to be observed in the world-disclosing significance of metaphysical statements and not simply some absolute referent of a metaphysical principle. Rather than a fixed set of conceptions, the metaphysics uncovered reveals the historical world or implicit contexture of meaning of the logic in question, what historians call the Sitz im Leben or ''life-setting" of the logic. There is some resemblance here to John Dewey's efforts to deconstruct the theoretical independence of formal logic by finding logic to be an immanent procedure for solving "problematic situations." In the pragmatic understanding, logical formalism is a reconstructed version of the historically concrete logic-in-use. But the resemblance ends at the point where Dewey proposes the scientific model of inquiry as continuous with "how we think," whereas Heidegger regards thinking as an epochally transformative process based on a finite cultural project or ontological understanding of reality.

What then is the existential meaning or historical world covered in Leibnizian metaphysics as the root of modern formal logic? MFL is a complex work of symphonic intelligence and any brief answer must necessarily impoverish Heidegger's polyphony of themes. But part of the answer has to do with the projection of a model for a universal modern rationality. The ontological commitment that grounds the Leibnizian calculus of propositions project a certain world-meaning or way of involving oneself with things.

The foundational terms Heidegger employs for the analysis of metaphysical structures include "being-in-the-world" and the "temporal ecstases" of being. Being-in-the-world is itself a primal temporalization or movement of transcendental time. Within the trajectory of time -- which is "transcendence'' or the original "place" within which the relation between subject and object appears -- all things are shaped, including the substantivization of things, the consciousness of subjectivity, and the coherence of systems. The self-grounding, self-initiating trajection of temporality is the paradigmatic ground for all other forms of ground: causes, reasons, proofs, and essences. Thus each "world" has its own peculiar temporalization of things, where everything is gathered within the circumscription of a characteristic "mood'' or type of Befindlichkeit (''disposition'' or state-of-mind, the way we for the most part find ourselves).

The temporalizing mood peculiar to Leibniz's analytical formalism, i.e., to mathematical logic, is the all-at-once simultaneous totalizing presentness. Heidegger shows how the Leibnizian analycity of formal truth is grounded in an existential project to shape rationality along the lines of a distinct metaphysical model. The model is that of the visio Dei, the deity's intuitive cognition which was put into the philosophical tradition by the Aristotelianizing Scholastics. It is the knowledge of God, at least in its temporalizing simultaneity, that serves as model for human cognition in the modern world as projected in the metaphysics of Leibniz."

bluelady
16-Feb-08, 00:11
spooky,can you see the face in the wall? near e corner and e pussycat face under that one? ;)

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-08, 00:15
Aye, and I can see a dog too, halfway up the wall, just left of the corner. This piccie is conclusive proof that ghosts do exist:confused

Metalattakk
16-Feb-08, 00:28
Quoted below is merely a PART, of a translator's INTRODUCTION to "The Metaphysical Foundations of Logic by Martin Heidegger"

I know that I don't want to rush out to buy the book based on the text below!! Talk about waffle and repetition. "Get to the bloody point" was what kept coming into my head. I prefer my own, simple, logic.

Enjoy this though <snipped smileys>

"The metaphysics, then, which Heidegger finds at the foundation of modern logic is not simply an ontology of blah, blah, blah...

Point well made. ;)

Aye, and I can see a dog too, halfway up the wall, just left of the corner. This piccie is conclusive proof that ghosts do exist

I can see Papa Moomintroll in the trees to the right.

Excellent, I now know that the Moomins have safely traversed to the 'other side'. Yay!

;)

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-08, 00:30
I get the impression you're just not taking this seriously Metalattakk:roll:

Metalattakk
16-Feb-08, 00:51
I get the impression you're just not taking this seriously Metalattakk:roll:

When did it ever become serious? ;)

hotrod4
16-Feb-08, 07:12
Do ghosts exist? hmmm tough one.
Dont really know,but its about time derek"what was that sam" acorah was exposed for being pants as hes so unbelievable!
As Kenny dal would say mibbes aye,mibbes no.
The jury is still out for me but have experienced some "weird" happenings but would still hate to commit one way or t'other.
I suppose it depends on your personality if you believe or not, if you are a very strong willed individual then you probably wont, but if you are a more open softer soul then I suppose you would believe.

Why dont ghosts use the net? after all they could zoom about all over the world through a broadband connection :)

justine
16-Feb-08, 11:27
wellthought i would bring in some more pics that have mesmerised the world
http://www.proofparanormal.com/images/brown_lady_lg.jpg
http://www.proofparanormal.com/images/tulip2_1_.jpeg

justine
16-Feb-08, 11:34
http://angelsghosts.com/sitebuilder/images/chicago_halloween_night_ghost_picture_2321-373x527.jpg

some of these need to be explained that they do exist..

Rheghead
16-Feb-08, 12:24
wellthought i would bring in some more pics that have mesmerised the world
http://www.proofparanormal.com/images/brown_lady_lg.jpg
http://www.proofparanormal.com/images/tulip2_1_.jpeg

How come your ghosts are wearing typical ghost garb? Do they get kitted out at the Spook Quartermaster Inc. when they pass over to the other side?

Anyway, surely the ghosts would be naked if it is only humans that can be ghosts?

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-08, 12:53
http://angelsghosts.com/sitebuilder/images/chicago_halloween_night_ghost_picture_2321-373x527.jpg

some of these need to be explained that they do exist..

Thats not a ghost, its just somebody in a scream mask:roll:

justine
16-Feb-08, 13:02
Thats not a ghost, its just somebody in a scream mask:roll:

Try looking aty the window in the top left hand corner.I know that is someone in a screaqm mask...........

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-08, 13:05
Oops, maybe someone doesnt understand humour:eek:

justine
16-Feb-08, 13:06
How come your ghosts are wearing typical ghost garb? Do they get kitted out at the Spook Quartermaster Inc. when they pass over to the other side?

Anyway, surely the ghosts would be naked if it is only humans that can be ghosts?

They not my ghosts. I decided to put in some pics in of some ghosts to let people make up there own mind....I would have thought that they would show themselves wearing what ever they were buried in.......:eek:

Who said only humans can become ghosts.........

justine
16-Feb-08, 13:08
Oops, maybe someone doesnt understand humour:eek:

Sorry head up butt.Ok so i missed the humour on that one....:(

johnlc
16-Feb-08, 13:08
I saw a ghost in this picture of a grave yard, spooky eh?:roll:

Just at the right of the door am seeing a small girl u can tell this as it looks like shes wearing a dress

justine
16-Feb-08, 13:14
http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/files/freddy_jackson.jpg (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/files/freddy_jackson.jpg)
This photo was taken in 1919 of a group from the Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. On the top row, fourth from the left, there is an extra person. It is unanimously believed that it is the face of Freddy Jackson, an airplane mechanic who died two days before this photo was taken when he was killed by a propeller.

It is hard to say whether ghost exist.There are so many pics that exist the contradict alot who say no they dont, but then it could just be photographic joke.We will never be sure......

DeHaviLand
16-Feb-08, 13:15
Yip, she's obviously walking the dog John.:lol:

Rheghead
16-Feb-08, 18:17
I would have thought that they would show themselves wearing what ever they were buried in.......:eek:

Who said only humans can become ghosts.........

It would make sense if they were wearing whatever they died in.

I wonder where all the shellsuit ghosts are?

So everyday inanimate objects can become ghosts as well?

router
17-Feb-08, 13:03
Oh come on everyone,when you consder the amount of people that have died worldwide since man walked the earth we would be innundated with the blighters.:lol:

Thumper
17-Feb-08, 13:25
Oh come on everyone,when you consder the amount of people that have died worldwide since man walked the earth we would be innundated with the blighters.:lol:

Not everybody becomes a ghost,its people with unfinished business that are ghosts or they do say that its people who didnt realise they had died so therefore didnt pass over into heaven (before somebody says how couldnt you realise you died its suppose to be when death arrives very suddenly,like a crash or something) x

silverfox57
17-Feb-08, 13:30
I my self to not believe in ghosts,but they say if you drive in the dip off road at oldhall watten in fog in the dark the form or a women sometimes appears in sky . story is women died in oldhall many,many. years ago.know of some very sane people who said they have seen her??

justine
17-Feb-08, 14:46
Not everybody becomes a ghost,its people with unfinished business that are ghosts or they do say that its people who didnt realise they had died so therefore didnt pass over into heaven (before somebody says how couldnt you realise you died its suppose to be when death arrives very suddenly,like a crash or something) x

That does also include those that die in their sleep.....:confused

Thumper
17-Feb-08, 14:50
I would suppose it would but I am no expert :) I think its more "sudden death" like a murder or accident but that said i suppose if you were sleeping you wouldnt know so therefore you may be a ghost by de-fault ;) x

Rheghead
17-Feb-08, 18:28
This was taken at the Clow where several skulls and torsos were excavated in the 1970s.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Caithness/IMG_0870g.jpg

dessie
17-Feb-08, 19:26
in 1974 me and a couple of friends was looking being nosy in what we used to call the captains mansion .in larne co antrim..we seen something very eerie on the stairs and fled very quickly,hair on the back of our necks was standing..still think about it now and then.....frightening...or scary???

router
17-Feb-08, 23:19
if you realy think about it since early man appeared or rather evolved over 100,000 years ago how many have died from then till present day?given that the present day population 5-6 billion and the birth rate is round about 3 per second,you would think that there should or would be a lot more ghosts walking the the earth amongst us mortals.the only thing we have is a few blurry shapes in a few photos and some stories of supposed sightings,no solid evidence.its a bit like asking, is there a nessie, is there a god?or asking is there a heaven and hell,from a personal point of view i dont think so, cause there is no solid proof.all we have is like i said before,a few stories and some blurry photos.

Thumper
17-Feb-08, 23:22
well said router but until you have seen it for yourself thats exactly the opinion I would have expected,I was a non believer but now I totally agree that ghosts DO exist x

router
17-Feb-08, 23:43
no i havnt seen anything or had a conversation with one,just an after thought,has anyone had a conversation with a ghost?have they actually spoken?is there any record of anybody having a conversation with one,was it recorded surely if it came back to acheive something then surely it would have to speak to someone about whats bothering it.

Rheghead
18-Feb-08, 01:10
if you realy think about it since early man appeared or rather evolved over 100,000 years ago how many have died from then till present day?given that the present day population 5-6 billion and the birth rate is round about 3 per second,you would think that there should or would be a lot more ghosts walking the the earth amongst us mortals.the only thing we have is a few blurry shapes in a few photos and some stories of supposed sightings,no solid evidence.its a bit like asking, is there a nessie, is there a god?or asking is there a heaven and hell,from a personal point of view i dont think so, cause there is no solid proof.all we have is like i said before,a few stories and some blurry photos.

I am sorry but the same people that say there must be aliens should be reminded that there is no evidence for such things yet they are are the ones that are shouting from the roof tops that there is no god without the same level of evidence. Hypocrisy at its most dire form.

DeHaviLand
18-Feb-08, 12:12
I am sorry but the same people that say there must be aliens should be reminded that there is no evidence for such things yet they are are the ones that are shouting from the roof tops that there is no god without the same level of evidence. Hypocrisy at its most dire form.

Yes, thats all very well Rheghead, but this is the ghost thread. You'll find the aliens thread below this. Move along now:lol:

MGB1979
20-Feb-08, 13:55
http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/files/freddy_jackson.jpg (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/files/freddy_jackson.jpg)
This photo was taken in 1919 of a group from the Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. On the top row, fourth from the left, there is an extra person. It is unanimously believed that it is the face of Freddy Jackson, an airplane mechanic who died two days before this photo was taken when he was killed by a propeller.

It is hard to say whether ghost exist.There are so many pics that exist the contradict alot who say no they dont, but then it could just be photographic joke.We will never be sure......

That is quite clearly Christopher Walken and I think you'll find he often pops up unexpectedly in the visual arts.