PDA

View Full Version : babysitter

sandie
25-Oct-05, 20:12
hello if anyone in thurso needs a babysitter for a couple of hours a night then please contact miss davis 01847 861284

i am fifteen years old
i have done childminding course with the school and i got on quite well
i will be free anytime

thanks xx

William
26-Oct-05, 00:25
are you not a bit young for that? asnd underqualified?

Fran
26-Oct-05, 01:17
You have to be 16 to be in charge of a child/children .

moose and Lindsay
26-Oct-05, 10:33

What do u mean underqualified??

It is only babysitting not child minding

There is a big difference there, as babysitting is in the childs house for a couple of hours and child minding is at the child minders own house and all day while the parents go to work etc

I have spoken to a social worker about this and they said 14yrs old to babysit

Tristan
26-Oct-05, 13:01
I admit to having strong views on this issue, coming from a culture that babysitting (not childminding) is allowed from the age of TWELVE and up!

Childminding is great experience for teenagers

- They learn responsibility for their actions
- They learn how to provide a service
- They learn self-reliance (within boundaries)
- They learn how and when to ask for help. Parents going out allways leave contact details.
- They learn the value of a pound (and not one given by doting parents)
- They learn that childrearing isn't a picnic! This has two-fold benefits - it makes them better teenagers as they can understand how difficult it is to deal with someone who is acting like a child, but also it helps them realize that having a baby of their own isn't a free-ride on the health service. The levels of under-aged pregnancy is much lower than in the UK, and I'm convinced this is part of the reason.

Having said all that, before you can "hang out your shingle" one has to pass a baby-sitting course, which gives them basic first-aid and coping skills.

As you can see, I'm all for it!

brandy
26-Oct-05, 14:08
*laughs* i grew up babysitting! hmmm wait im the oldest of 7 so it really wasnt babysitting as much as self preservalence *grins*
but i do agree babysitting is a great way for a teenager to make money
and as long as they are responsible and do not treat it as a game then go for it..
i would never leave my children with some one i did not know or trust.. and that includes childminders
just because someone is reg as a childminder does not make them good at it.
sam goes for day cares and nursery..
you never just trust your children to anyone.. just because they are "trained"
as long as you know and trust that person i think that is what matters most

sandie
26-Oct-05, 14:39
i highly agree with you but you would never know someone until you try them

William
26-Oct-05, 23:53

What do u mean underqualified??

It is only babysitting not child minding

There is a big difference there, as babysitting is in the childs house for a couple of hours and child minding is at the child minders own house and all day while the parents go to work etc

I have spoken to a social worker about this and they said 14yrs old to babysit

ok chill i was only saying no need to take it personally

sandie
27-Oct-05, 18:14
no you chill lol moose and lindsay was only saying!
ok you tell me if i cant find a job babysitting where else could i find one?

isnt richard to young to work in sandra's i thought you had to be sixteen?
see it's just the same aint it

William
27-Oct-05, 18:29
isnt richard to young to work in sandra's i thought you had to be sixteen?
see it's just the same aint it

That is noting like looking after someone else's children you have to be responsble for the life of another person when looking after children. Working in sandra's all he does is serving nothing else so the only thing he has to do wis watch out for him self and not get burnt or some thing.

sandie
27-Oct-05, 18:39
yeah well i have been on a course and spoken to the social worker about it so i think i know how to look after a baby remember one new year i was going with you'r brother well i had 5 month baby and another four kids they all had there supper been bathed we watched cartoons for 10 mins and then i went and put them all to bed i stayed up most off the night to look after the baby and i fed changed and burbed the baby when it need i kept watching them and listening out for them so tell me again that i wouldnt be able to look after a baby.

yeah but if sandra's let richard work there then they havent got responability's because you are meant to be sixteen before you get to touch any fatty and hot equitment for health and safety.

William
27-Oct-05, 18:44
i aint going to argue with you as there is no point, all i was saying was i did not think you were old enough to do it, so i was wrong, fair enough i can admit to that, but i would not let you look after any kids if i had any.

as for sandra's they are a business who employ people the whole time and know what the law is regarding this, do you really think they would be letting him work there if front of all the customers if it was not ok with every one concerned and the law?

sandie
27-Oct-05, 19:06
yeah william am sorry and i quite agree there is no need to argue over it sorry