PDA

View Full Version : caravan help needed

sandie
25-Oct-05, 20:09
hi i am sixteen soon and i was thinking about moving into one of the caravans at the caravan site at the back off Thurso High School but been put off by a couple of people so could anyone help me and please tell me if they think if this is a good idea for an ashamtic or a bad choice and why?
thanks for you'r time xx

fudge100
25-Oct-05, 21:11
bad choice i stayed in one and my health got worse its ok in the summer but realy bad in the winter you would be better to stay where you are

sandie
25-Oct-05, 21:43
yeah but the problem is i cant the better i get out of my mums house the better, well not really but you know us young ones cant wait to live on or own.

but did you live in the one's behind the high school in thurso whats wrong with it over the winter?

porshiepoo
25-Oct-05, 22:00
Seriously don't do it unless they are extremely well heated. If they are it usually means they're expensive to heat!
Do you mind me asking how old you are! Can you not try the council if you're that desperate to get out?
These caravans may look perfect but the walls soon close in on you, and it's not fun being in one with gale force winds blowing. The walls move..... and the window panes!
Plus have you ever tried showering and changing in a cupboard? cos thats what it's like.
Don't get me wrong, summers ok, but never winter. Gloomy, gloomy, gloomy.
Incidentally I have no experience of the ones you talk of, just my own. And mine is completely re furbished and v.v. well heated etc.

sandie
25-Oct-05, 22:11
yeah ok i will bare that over mind but what if i only took it for the summer would it be warm enough then?

porshiepoo
25-Oct-05, 22:15
Yeah! Just cramped, no storage, lonely, depressing,stuffy.

EDDIE
25-Oct-05, 23:02
My advice to you is to live with your parents as long as you can because the rents cheap,your get dinner made for you cloths washed and ironed for you.And when you move out you have to do all these things yourself and pay all your own bils and the vast amount of young people tend to be on very low pay because of there inexperience and also if your paying all those bills you wont have a lot of money left to enjoy yourself were your mates that still live with there parents will

pedromcgrory
25-Oct-05, 23:06
you will be all that lonley etc, even if ur in a mansion ,in summer yes it will be fine even winter i guess my mum runs the caravans at the beach site and they i know have sold a few good caravans to the owner off that site at back of high school ,so yes they are good unless you get hurricane wilma no i guess lol

pedromcgrory
25-Oct-05, 23:08
i have asthma to quite bad and would still recomend u do if it the right choice of course

fudge100
26-Oct-05, 01:20
no i did not live in the one behind thurso high school but i did have one and a half years experience of living in a mobile home in aberdeen. summertime was okay but in the wintertime it was freezing and i found it to be very damp you could actualy smell the musky dampness smell on your clothes that were hanging in the wardrobes and cupboards the only source of heating was a gas fire i was having to buy two large gas bottles weekly to keep the place warm which wasent cheap to buy as for the electric it was run on a pound meter it was eating up the pounds like you couldnt imagin on top of all that i was paying £280 pounds a month and it was only a one bedroom. i am not saying that the site behind the high school is as bad as all that because i have never lived there but what i am saying is i would never live in one again i only hope you will take my advice and think very carefully before you think of leaving home and just remember that your parents will alwasy be your best friends whether you belive it or not and when their gone their gone for good.

Fran
26-Oct-05, 01:29
do try and stay at home with your parents...you have your whole life ahead to live on your own. You will find it very lonely on your own and you wont have much money left for food etc. Obviously you will be on benefits and this is very hard as you are not quite 16 yet. We all fall out with our parents at your age, this is part of growing up, but your parents love you, so make the most of family life. i do hope things work out for you and do take care of yourself. if you were alone in a caravan, what would you do if you had an asthma attack, and would you be safe on your own in a caravan. do think carefully.I send my best wishes.

sandie
26-Oct-05, 11:43
hi i am sixteen soon and i was thinking about moving into one of the caravans at the caravan site at the back off Thurso High School but been put off by a couple of people so could anyone help me and please tell me if they think if this is a good idea for an ashamatic or a bad choice and why?
thanks for you'r time xx

sandie
26-Oct-05, 11:53
hi thanks everyone one that is really helping me to decide but i dont think i wont take one i just want to live on my own and atleast then i wont be fighting the whole time and i live five miles from thurso and what if i want to stay out until 1 or 2 in the morning i cant really get my mum to come running through for me and am at the back of my school so it would be really easy for me to get to school as i think i am going to stay on.
i really dont know though see the one's your mum gave to the caravan site what's it like is it any good are they big and what's there bathroom like.
how much is the rent,electric and anything else you need?
maybe that might help me change my mind

Karen M26a
26-Oct-05, 12:15
Hi Sandie,

Please don't leave home for a caravan, you'll end up stuck there, unahppy and lonely. I suggest you play the long game instead.

First things first, get your name on the highland council waiting list. It took me 4 years to get a house, so you could be in for a wait. Then, you need to sit tight for a while and prepare yourself for independence.

Finish your school/college education before you leave home, it's easier to cope with exam pressure when you have the security of a family home behind you.

There are other ways of gaining your independence without leaving home, next year you can take driving lessons (meanwhile saving some cash for a wee motor of your own).

You can find a part time job to help you gain work experience and have responsibility over your own money. (Saving for a car or kitting out a home of your own.) By paying some digs money you can contribute towards household costs, making you an equal house member.

I remember being your age, your parents expect you to behave like an adult, but they dont let you enjoy the priviledges that come with being one. :eyes It's just par for the course I'm afraid because they love you and don't want you to come to any harm.

sandie
26-Oct-05, 12:49
ok thanks you have all been great, but the only problem is i wont be able to live with my mum for another 4 years lol.
what if i move in with a friend and a caravan is small you are right but what if i move in with someone then it would be even smaller but would not be as cold or will it?

i really dont think i can do my driving lessons until am 17 aint it?

i was going to be moving away either to inverness/aberdeen or england then i decided if i dont get a house i would go, but i had a thought which i (thought was good) and if i didnt move away or get a house i could get a caravan but i dont know..... [disgust] :confused :eyes :~( :mad: :~(

caithnessgirl
26-Oct-05, 12:51
Sandie, i know everyone is saying pretty much the same thing to you (then again, i am too) but it really isn't worth it. at least try and stick it out until your 17? then you will have a driving license.
Its not great being young and havin so much responsibility, even if it is a only a caravan.
I know where you're coming from because i was your age not too long ago and it is frustrating. But really give it some thought.
What would your mates at school say to see you trampling in to school from your caravan every day. What about christmas etc etc. I really think your being a bit harsh and should give it some real consideration befroe doing anything.
Have a chat with their parents, maybe you could come to some kind of agreement to make this better for you,
anyway, you're still young and plenty time for all that yet,
Good luck! :)
PS your really lucky that people are being so helpful and kind to you! US CAITHNESIANS eh!? lol :lol:

sandie
26-Oct-05, 12:54
lol yeah your right people from school would probally think oh ma god she can only afford a caracvan or summit but i really dont think i can live with my parent until am 17 what if i move in with one of my mates

caithnessgirl
26-Oct-05, 13:12
i dont want to sound rude but from some of your other posts on the message board it doesn't sound to me like you are mature enough to leave home. It is not a good idea doing that either. Talk to your parents, tell them you want more freedom or whatever, surely you could come to some kind of arrangement?
If you want to do well and get on in life you need to stay at school, work hard, do your best in exams (which wont happen if youre living your life in acaravan) you need the support of your parents and friends and this will be most beneficial to you when you are at home. I've seen things go wrong for so many people because they want to be on their own,leave home, fail exams, get a crappy job (if they get one at all) get involved with drugs and end up on their own with no friends or anything and a lot of the girls seemed to fall pregnant very young.
It happens to so many young people and its not worth it. Don't let yourself be a statistic.x

sandie
26-Oct-05, 13:44
ok ok i will take you'r adivice but what do you mean i aint mature enough?

ok i wont take a caravan and i will stay on at school and have a life ok thank you all :Razz

squidge
26-Oct-05, 15:40
Looks like you have made a decision but if you are still wavering......

how about money

Even if you get benefits - and under 18 you arent entitled to benefits except in very special circumstances. Granted being kicked out of home is one of them but your mum will be contacted to ask if she will take you bakc and if she says yes you wont get anything - if its no then you will likely get around the £35 per week mark. In addition to this your rent and your council tax is likely to be paid for you - which means £35 a week just for you to spend on having fun

Errrr Nope

Think about food

for seven days aweek food is likely to cost at the very very least £10 per week and thats if you are thrifty. if you like a takeaway or you buy convenience foods - ready meals and the like its gonna be more than that.

Heating and electric

well the electric is likely to be on a card meter and thats going to be probably £5 per wek in the summer as long as you arent relying on electric heating in which case it might be as much as £15 per week in the winter

Heating bottled gas i have no idea but i would expect about £10 per week

Clothes? Shoes? Going out?

Well one night out is likely to be £10 or more and you an always buy your clothes cheap in the sale when you have saved up the two quid a week you might get when you have paid everything

oh well stay in then - watch telly? Do you have a TV licence you have to or you will likely get caught and fined

The best thing is to stay at school see if you can get an Education Maintenance allowance which you will be able to spend on yourself and on having fun. if you want to stay out late arrange to stay with your friend or bargain with your mum that if you do a job or some extra chores she can pick you up. If you are really having problems with your mum then speak to another relative - your grannie or an auntie or something and try to sort them out. Its important.

Do end up stuck in a caravan miserable lonely and with no money at all - its no fun

Tristan
26-Oct-05, 17:42
Hi Sandie,

Just a suggestion - if you want to find out what life is like when you have a place of your own, treat your parent's house as if its your responsibility. When you come home (from school or work, whichever you're doing) then YOU clean the house, YOU put on the tea, YOU calm things down when they get chaotic, YOU make sure things get done before you go out in the evening.

You probably won't be able to carry the entire load yourself for more than a day or two, heck after all you're fifteen/almost sixteen. However, I predict two things will come from this:

1) You will have alot more respect for the amount of work that goes into running a house
2) Your parent(s) will be so bowled over by your heightened responsibility and the lessening of the pressure on them that they may ease up on you

If you can keep up helping out on your own initiative for a while you'll probably find that things will be better at home, and when you DO move out on your own it won't be so much of a shock.

If it sounds like I'm preaching, well, I'm speaking from experience. I have two teenagers, one's just off to uni and the other is still in high school. They both know the basics of cooking and how to turn on a hoover/washing machine. They're not perfect (far from it!) but the one who's off at uni really appreciates now how much better off he is.

I guess I'm saying if you want to become an adult, well, start acting like one. It's not just about staying out til all hours of the night!

EDDIE
26-Oct-05, 17:52
Well sandie you have heard everyones opinion and we cant all be wrong.

crashbandicoot1979
26-Oct-05, 21:58
Hi Sandie, it looks like you've made your decision but just thought that I'd let you know that rent is currently £56 per week on those caravans - that might give you an idea of how expensive it'll be if you do decide to move there. And as someone pointed out earlier, theres very little chance that you'll get housing benefit so this will probably have to come out of your own pocket.

Best of luck anyway, whatever you decide to do xx

golach
26-Oct-05, 22:46
Sorry folks I am a owld Grandfather, and tell me anybody, what nearly 16 year old in this day and age is going to listen to us "Elders" what do we know? We have no understanding of their needs & wants, because we have never been there!!! AYE RIGHT!!!
I was twice round the world at 18, did that not teach me anything, Oh yes it did. It taught me the one think that most teenagers of today dont have, RESPECT!!!!!

EDDIE
26-Oct-05, 23:26
As for as respect goes not all teenagers are disrespectful maybey a certain percentage are disrespectuful as with the same percentage in adults in all age groups.As for teenagers not listening to there elders advice is true due to minds not fully mature and thats why a lot of them learn the hardway as the same as when we were teenagers.
And as far as going round the world twice teaches you about different cultures thats all nothing more.Unfortunatley the only thing that teaches you about life in general is by learning from your mistakes as time goes.

squidge
27-Oct-05, 00:19
Sorry folks I am a owld Grandfather, and tell me anybody, what nearly 16 year old in this day and age is going to listen to us "Elders" what do we know? We have no understanding of their needs & wants, because we have never been there!!! AYE RIGHT!!!
I was twice round the world at 18, did that not teach me anything, Oh yes it did. It taught me the one think that most teenagers of today dont have, RESPECT!!!!!

Golach youa re SUCH a grump about teenagers - ALWAYS!!!!

When you were a teenager i bet you thought your parents didnt understand you - i know i did in fact im 41 and my parents STILL dont understand me! My mum thinks in a foundling still and often shakes her head and says "I dont know where you came from" She STILL thinks she knows better and her reaction when i suggested i might like to backpack through somewhere exotic for my 50th birthday was one to behold!!!!!

SAndie asked for opinions Golach and she got a large number of measured and coherent arguments - you were wrong to do the "elders and betters" thing

Still love ya though :eyes ;)

sandie
27-Oct-05, 18:09
squidge who are you?

squidge
27-Oct-05, 23:41
sandie im a sort of soft squashy creature with big eyes and lots of teeth ;)

sandie
28-Oct-05, 10:41
cool cool so anyone know where i could get a 50cc motorbike from?

cezzy1234
28-Oct-05, 13:12
hi you can get a 50 cc second hand really cheep try ams in wick and also try altomotives in thurso they have second hand bikes for sale and also some people on caithness.org have some in sales

sandie
28-Oct-05, 13:16
hi yeah i know but i am lookin for on about (dearest) two hundred pounds lol any clue if thats possible

_Ju_
28-Oct-05, 19:40
Hello Sandie,

Not that I think its going to do much good and running the risk of being repetitive, but here goes nothing:

What exactly is it that you plan to do should you "emigrate" to England? Best case scenario, considering that you will stop your schooling should you go, is that you work at the worst paid jobs out there. Maybe cleaning offices at 03:00 am (if you have the stamina: emptying 300 dustbins in a 4 hour shift) or working in a factory such as a food processing plant, cleaning or doing some other unskilled job untill you get promoted to sandwich making? All long shifts and working hard the whole time.
Grown up life is hard. Even if you are lucky enough to live in a country that provides for you if you are female and have children, raising them is also hard work. Try be a teenager and at home for as long as you can, even though it sometimes seems very hard for you. Once you step out into the grown-up world, you don't get to go back. And one day ( hopefully far into the future) you will look back on these years as the best in your life, even if everything wasn't always hunky-dorey or exactly the way you wanted. I just hope you don't look back with longing next year already.
I think you have an idea that living on your own, you will get to do what you want when you want it. The truth is you rarely get what you want and often don't want what you end up getting( that sounded so kitche....sorry)

sandie
29-Oct-05, 20:10
hey thanks the only problem is i am looking for summit around (max) £200

sandie
29-Oct-05, 20:32
hey _ju_
I never thought i would say this but i dont think i want to leave school lol,
i would like my own house yeah but i really dont know what to do well i aint taking a caravan now as loads off people put me off it. I even spoke to my dad about it as he use to live in one and even he said it was bad and that was one thing he wish he never took.
I really do think i should stay on at school and if i fail my EXAMS re do them lol i was going to move to Aberdeen because my auntie lives there and her kids wanted me to but i might still actually do that i aint sure. I was also going to move down to Inverness with one off my ex's but i kinda blown that eh. [mad] :mad: :~( :(
thanks xxx

cezzy1234
06-Nov-05, 10:18
hi just wondering have you manage to get a moped yet some one on the sale fourm is selling one at the momment good luck

sandie
06-Nov-05, 17:42
yeah parents are getting me one for christmas thanks anyway xxxx