PDA

View Full Version : Road Junction Near Misses

brokencross
13-Feb-08, 09:50
Don't know why the highways people bother putting nice "Give Way" and "Stop" delineation white lines at road junctions. Many people don't seem to realise their purpose.

I am sick fed up of approaching a T-junction or crossroads where I intend to turn right and then having to suddenly brake early and stop well short of the junction because some stupid dingaling turning into the road from my left cuts right across the corner, (totally ignoring the white junction lines and totally oblivious my presence). They are virtually all on "my side of the road" albeit for just a second. When they realise my car is there all you get is a sheepish inane grin. This really bugs me.

Are there any other bad driving habits which get you down?

veekay
13-Feb-08, 12:15
Gets my goat too. Another thing, well two really, is when the driver signals and just pulls out, as if signaling gives them right of way and then there are those who seem to think that the indicator fitted into the car is an optional extra and never use it expecting other drivers to be telepathic.

brokencross
13-Feb-08, 12:29
Taxi drivers down here are the worst offenders for NOT indicating. They pull out from the kerb, they do sudden U turns, they rarely indicate. They also don't seem to use headlights but only sidelights

Valerie Campbell
13-Feb-08, 12:33
Gets my goat too. Another thing, well two really, is when the driver signals and just pulls out, as if signaling gives them right of way and then there are those who seem to think that the indicator fitted into the car is an optional extra and never use it expecting other drivers to be telepathic.

This is my pet hate. At roundabouts especially. I've now taken to looking at the position of the tyres!!

footie chick
13-Feb-08, 12:41
Taxi drivers down here are the worst offenders for NOT indicating. They pull out from the kerb, they do sudden U turns, they rarely indicate. They also don't seem to use headlights but only sidelights

OMG taxis actually have indicators fitted:lol:

grandma
13-Feb-08, 12:50
I have to admit that the taxis really cheese me off too. I was so annoyed at them going through the red lights coming out of the Market Square that I phoned the police and asked if taxi drivers had their own laws re traffic lights and asked if their camera above DE Shoes was working!! They sit really close to you if they're behind you, they speed, they cut corners. It's as if they think they own the road.

stekar
13-Feb-08, 22:12
On more than one occasion I have been travelling on the main road with no traffic behind me, when another vehicle has come to join the road off a side road or track. Sees me coming and pulls out in front.

Now I'm not the world's best driver nor do I think I own the road, but when I've got to brake because someone has pulled out in front of me, that is bad driving.

Best one was in Keiss. Came into the village from JOG direction doing just under 30 mph. Car comes to the junction next to the shop, looks both ways(I must be invisible) and pulls out. I had to stop completely other wise I would have bashed her silver vauxhall.

Rie
13-Feb-08, 23:45
We have a problem with people cutting the corner from the A9 at the Mybster cross road, plenty of accidents because people just dont think and use the junction properly,
It has gotten so unsafe for my children to walk to the A9 to catch the school bus in the morning that the bus company has re routed the bus to come down the B870 and pick the kids up,and drop them off again, (Thank god)
Just a bit of fore thought is all we ask!

northener
14-Feb-08, 19:51
I have to admit that the taxis really cheese me off too. I was so annoyed at them going through the red lights coming out of the Market Square that I phoned the police and asked if taxi drivers had their own laws re traffic lights and asked if their camera above DE Shoes was working!! They sit really close to you if they're behind you, they speed, they cut corners. It's as if they think they own the road.

Not all......

Tighsonas4
14-Feb-08, 21:29
driving
i had to sit a driving test short time ago for medical reasons
came to the roundabout at the foot of cliff he says you give way to everything on the right told him i wish the half of wick knew that [lol]
talk about indicators was coming up green road car coming up henreita st
indicates to go into dunnet av and instead swings out in front of me
tOcrown it she gives one of those funny looks as if your stupid
tony

justine
14-Feb-08, 21:34
driving
i had to sit a driving test short time ago for medical reasons
came to the roundabout at the foot of cliff he says you give way to everything on the right told him i wish the half of wick knew that [lol]
talk about indicators was coming up green road car coming up henreita st
indicates to go into dunnet av and instead swings out in front of me
tOcrown it she gives one of those funny looks as if your stupid
tony
Met quite a few of them on the road.Indicate one way and go the other....I also have a problem with the older folks who cant see above their steering wheel and expect right of way.Has anyone told them the speed limit is 20-30 in built up areas not 5-10mph....
i am a curtious driver who will allow drivers through, i always am polite but it getting to point where i am just gonna stop caring and go with the flow of others soon....

ashaw1
15-Feb-08, 17:35
Met quite a few of them on the road.Indicate one way and go the other....I also have a problem with the older folks who cant see above their steering wheel and expect right of way.Has anyone told them the speed limit is 20-30 in built up areas not 5-10mph....
i am a curtious driver who will allow drivers through, i always am polite but it getting to point where i am just gonna stop caring and go with the flow of others soon....
Thank god! I was beginning to think i was the only one getting stuck behind these people. One tip! Stay clear of the bottom of George Street on a sunday morning, i always seem to get stuck there.

justine
15-Feb-08, 17:37
Thank god! I was beginning to think i was the only one getting stuck behind these people. One tip! Stay clear of the bottom of George Street on a sunday morning, i always seem to get stuck there.Yep been caught out with that one aswell.Also on the way to thurso there is a guy in a van that drives ridiculously slow and wont let you overtake.He keeps going to the white line if you try..
See you are not alone

Also the ones who treble park outside the Ian smiths chemists..someone send up the traffic warden......

hotrod4
15-Feb-08, 19:42
The vans parked at gerry hendersons yard are bad too, you have to go up onto the fire station to avoid some drivers who cut it wide.
Another bad place is shore lane where you cant see round plowmans carpets for vans or cars, sometimes you just have to hope theres nothing coming as you cant see!!!!