PDA

View Full Version : Drugs in Sport

oldchemist
12-Feb-08, 20:47
So Dwain Chambers has been selected for the GB team for the World Indoor Championships. What sort of message does that send to aspiring athletes? The selectors are claiming that international rules mean they can't exclude him - surely time to take a principled stand against these rules?[evil]

golach
12-Feb-08, 20:54
So Dwain Chambers has been selected for the GB team for the World Indoor Championships. What sort of message does that send to aspiring athletes? The selectors are claiming that international rules mean they can't exclude him - surely time to take a principled stand against these rules?[evil]
I fully agree, its diabolical that the selectors are claiming their hands are tied.
He not only disgraced himself, he is a disgrace to British Athletics,when he was identified taking performance enhancing drugs, he also cost the other relay runners their rightful medals

superted
12-Feb-08, 21:02
How about the man has paid the price for his drug abuse, learnt his lesson and is looking for a second chance???

I believe everyone deserves a second chance!!!

Whitewater
12-Feb-08, 23:31
I'm on two minds about this. It shouldn't be allowed?, he took the drugs to enhance his performance. Or did it?? Was his performance better than normal? yes it probably was, but was it due to the drugs? Who knows? He has now done his time and paid the price, and I'm sure that the drug inspectors/testers will be following him around everywhere. He is clean at the moment, and the fastest we have, he is entitled to run. However, having said that I'm still not 100% comfortable with it, but I hope he proves us all wrong. If he is asked the right questions, gives the right answers, and can prove to the youngsters in athletics that you don't need performance enhancers to be the best, then who better to spread the message? The man can talk from experience.

I sincerely hope I'm not forced to eat my words.

nanoo
13-Feb-08, 13:40
I'm on two minds about this. It shouldn't be allowed?, he took the drugs to enhance his performance. Or did it?? Was his performance better than normal? yes it probably was, but was it due to the drugs? Who knows? He has now done his time and paid the price, and I'm sure that the drug inspectors/testers will be following him around everywhere. He is clean at the moment, and the fastest we have, he is entitled to run. However, having said that I'm still not 100% comfortable with it, but I hope he proves us all wrong. If he is asked the right questions, gives the right answers, and can prove to the youngsters in athletics that you don't need performance enhancers to be the best, then who better to spread the message? The man can talk from experience.

I sincerely hope I'm not forced to eat my words.I kind of go along with what you say Whitewater, we always say if someone is released from prison we should give them another chance, because after all he has served his time. Therefore we should say the same here, should'nt we. I wonder though if we would be having a similar discussion if the selectors HAD NOT picked him. We might well have been up in arms about him being passed over because he is our best chance of a medal.:roll:

DeHaviLand
13-Feb-08, 23:42
Time to wind your necks in. He's served his penance, and if he's clean he should be allowed to race. In saying that, I think a 2 year ban just isnt long enough.

sprint95m
13-Feb-08, 23:53
The sport that is really tarnished with cheating (by taking drugs) is professional cycling. Once a cyclist completes a ban, he is able to return.
The (recently retired) Frenchman, Richard Virenque (despite never failing a drugs test), twice served bans. He remained a hero to the French public throughout.
Britain's David Millar is another cyclist to serve a ban and return. The first cyclist to die during the Tour de France, as a result of drugtaking, was Tom Simpson (another Britain) in the late 60s.

Rie
13-Feb-08, 23:54
I think he should be allowed to represent GB and race ,but undergo daily drugs tests, to prove that he is clean!
I feel sorry for him in a way because if he had'nt have won his come back race he wouldnt be in the headlines again for things he has done in the past.
Did they expect him to stop training for 2 years aswell?
Good luck to him.

DeHaviLand
13-Feb-08, 23:57
It wasnt his comeback race, he was given a 2 year ban in February 2004. Thats what makes this stramash even more unseemly. He's been racing since June 2006.

Rie
14-Feb-08, 00:05
Didnt realise that, it said on the news this morning that he won his comeback race and as a result automaticaly represents GB, Didnt realise his ban finished ages ago,
So why are they so up in arms about it?? if he has been racing clean for nearly 2 years surely he deserves to be allowed to represent his country for his achievements since the ban lifted!

micmiller
14-Feb-08, 00:35
the law is he gets a 2 year ban for drugs. (maybe it not long enuf but jst now its 2 years), hes served the ban and is therefore entitled to compete.
hes showin he doesnt need drugs to be the best in the country. 2nd fastest time in the world this year, good on him.

gees peace

Cinderella's Shoe
14-Feb-08, 17:33
So why not have an alternative junkie olympics????

How about two first prizes per event - one for the fastest druggie past the post - the second for the most stoned athlete who actually completes the course..........

_Ju_
14-Feb-08, 17:40
How about the man has paid the price for his drug abuse, learnt his lesson and is looking for a second chance???

I believe everyone deserves a second chance!!!

He has had his second chance. But he is still permanently excluded from the olympic games, which means he is depriving an aspiring olympic athlete from his first chance to qualify, by taking that athletes place on the British team.

He is sorry that he took drugs to give him an unfair advantage. Sorry that he actually got caught, that is.

scorrie
14-Feb-08, 17:52
The fault lies with the punishment system. I personally believe that athletes should be banned for life for drugs offences. The way the system operates at the moment, athletes can take drugs in the knowledge that they will only serve a two year ban if caught. That is inadequate in my opinion and has resulted in the current furore surrounding Chambers.

Under the current regulations, the man has served his time and, although suspicion and innuendo will continue to follow him around, it is his right to compete, as he has proved himself the best candidate. He has to be assumed to be clean, unless otherwise proven. It is the system that is flawed.

superted
14-Feb-08, 19:22
He has had his second chance. But he is still permanently excluded from the olympic games, which means he is depriving an aspiring olympic athlete from his first chance to qualify, by taking that athletes place on the British team.

He is sorry that he took drugs to give him an unfair advantage. Sorry that he actually got caught, that is.

When did he get his second chance???

Yoda the flump
14-Feb-08, 22:09
So he has served his time and should be qallowed to race, if only it was that easy!

Would it be unfair to assume that the drugs he took increased his muscle mass? If so, when he stops taking the drugs is he going to loose this extra muscle gained by taking drugs?

Unlikely if he continues to train so he still has an unfair advantage.

celtic 302
15-Feb-08, 00:45
I, i must say, am in support of Dwain Chambers. Firstly, if UK Athletics didnt want him to race again in the future why only ban people for 2 years.

Now i must address something that has been bothering me for ages. People who say that he is depriving young athletes... blah blah blah. The fact is, that he is faster than any of the others who want to be in the team, and in athletics, its not like football where you can play good but the team lose, in athletics its winner take all. And if anythng, this should inspire them to get better and beat him, but for now they cant so im glad we have our best athlete in the team.

The fact is, that he was caught using enhancing drugs. He was given a sentence, he served his sentence, and he is now the best racer we have... i dont see what more there is to it?

ps. Am i the only person who is incredibly annoyed by the stuck up woman who goes by the name kelly holmes. God she gets on my nerves... anyway, different story, different day.

_Ju_
15-Feb-08, 09:37
When did he get his second chance???

He ran. He got a result. He is on the British team(second chance), taking the place of someone who could qualify for the olympics.

Sports SHOULD be about sportsmanship, fairness, skills and being YOUR best. If you have knowingly and purposefully betrayed those principles to cheat to win, you have betrayed the priciples of sport and perjured himself to the public and his collegues. Because of that even though he is allowed to compete, having completed his ban, he will not be allowed to participate in the Olympics.

_Ju_
15-Feb-08, 09:42
Would it be unfair to assume that the drugs he took increased his muscle mass? If so, when he stops taking the drugs is he going to loose this extra muscle gained by taking drugs?

Unlikely if he continues to train so he still has an unfair advantage.

Actually even if he trains the effects of the drugs are quickly lost. He took steroids. These have long term side effects such as liver and heart damage, but don't leave you bulked up for all eternity.

sphinx
15-Feb-08, 17:44
its a shame how people take drugs to make themselves stonger athletes and dont know wat side affects they have on them they are the people that our kids look up to wat shame.........:(