PDA

View Full Version : What kind of message......../Mosquito anti-kids thing

scotsboy
12-Feb-08, 15:06
.........does this send out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7239461.stm

For me it says that you have to accept your property being damaged and you have to accept being intimidated by neds weilding weapons.

No doubt this guys family will now have to put up with all sorts of abuse whilst he is in jail, I am sure his property will be damaged, and no doubt they will end up having to move.

Bobinovich
12-Feb-08, 15:17
OK I see your point but surely mounting the pavement to actually cause harm is a bit OTT. Could he not have simply driven off to escape the attack, instead of counter attacking with his undoubtedly superior firepower?

mccaugm
12-Feb-08, 15:24
OK I see your point but surely mounting the pavement to actually cause harm is a bit OTT. Could he not have simply driven off to escape the attack, instead of counter attacking with his undoubtedly superior firepower?

I agree running him over using the only weapon he had at his disposal was a little extreme. I think that the person brandishing the weapons was plainly also at fault and his stint in hospital at least kept him of the streets for a while which could only have been a good thing.

Did the attacker also get charged/convicted/fined/jailed or was it OK because he suffered an injury caused by his own stupidity?

scotsboy
12-Feb-08, 15:26

Yeah, run away from the bully..........that never seems to work though. I dont think it is OTT, if he had reversed back over him fair enough I would agree with you.

justine
12-Feb-08, 15:35
IMHO i think he used the only means of defence to ward of the attack.he has probably heard of people younger and fitter than himself being attacked for less and dying..I do not condone what he did and neither do i think it right but it would never have happened if the youths had left him alone...

As for the message it sends well thats simple.Not all are easy targets.There are some ready to fight back....Maybe the youths might think twice about doing this again....

Bobinovich
12-Feb-08, 15:37
It would have been different if the attacker was brandishing a gun and threatening to fire from behind the bushes on the pavement - but a knife and baton require him to be within close proximity in order to be useable.

Likewise if he'd tried to get away and the attacker was on the road blocking his path, and there was no way of missing him in order to make good the escape, then I'd say he'd done the only logical thing - I certainly wouldn't sit in the car waiting for the thug to get in close for the attack.

And yes, what's wrong with running from the thug and letting the police to do the dangerous work - that's what they're paid for isn't it?

scorrie
12-Feb-08, 15:58
Ahh, but we are hitting back against the young yobs:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/12/mosquito.young.people

Ohh, maybe were not. Poor bairnies.

bekisman
12-Feb-08, 16:26
"Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti said the device had no place in a country that values its children" *

What's this? I think, if it's that Chakrabarti again it's bound to be some leftwing rights issue.. well no, it seems that 3,500 shopkeepers, shopping centre's and other places where rowdy youths congregate, had got off their bottoms and shelled out to purchase a device that does not effect the casual shopper ( Exposure to sound becomes annoying after 5-10 minutes and sound automatically shuts off after 20 minutes) and helps to stop these gangs of youths hanging around, usually abusing, sometimes threatening, often intimidating the shopper.. And Shami tells us these poor little darlings are being attacked, she tells us; "What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children?" - 'weapon'? good gracious Shami, I don't think it's a weapon, just annoying, no more that these Ipods or mobile phones they have on maximum shoved against their poor sweet little ears - I've just seen some girl talking on TV "and all these things will do is move us on" Emmm.. bright little thing.
Opps before I go on better mention that I've got four kids of my own and 8 grand-children, and IF they were congregating around some shop doorway being a perceived nuisance, I'd be perfectly happy if 'the Chakrabarti weapon' moved them on.. and they all turned out to be good descent members of society.

All this in the same week that three useless wastes of space feral youths - high on drugs and drink - kicked in the head of Garry Newlove. One lowlife was Swellings who had only hours earlier been freed on bail for assault, and another scum; Sorton was rebuked by the Judge for attacking a boy with learning difficulties hours before killing Newlove. So lets get it into perspective Shami.. It's a jungle out there - having lived in a number of British cities, we may not get this up here in the gentle Highlands but it is a reality of everyday living, and any action undertaken to make a simple task of nipping into Spar for a last minute item and NOT to be spat or abused is not such a bad thing. Convenience stores do say the devices are useful as a "last resort".

*http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/7240180.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/7240180.stm)

scotsboy
12-Feb-08, 16:46
Shami Chakrabarti, she is obviously a very intelligent lady, but man is she annoying!

j4bberw0ck
12-Feb-08, 16:46
"Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti said the device had no place in a country that values its children" *

(I know bekisman didn't actually say that, but merely quoted).

I would say that the device has no place in a country that values its children and in which the children respect the rights and property of others.

And if parents can't or won't teach them those things, tough. It becomes a war of attrition. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition mosquito devices.

percy toboggan
12-Feb-08, 18:14
Liberty has only 9,000 members, and I'm sure I would find most of them a real pain. I have my own term of endearment for Sami - or shammy which I won't broadcast on here....she is definitely a part of our problems.

However, I do not agree with the mosquito ultra-sonic detterent. This is a blanket measure which affect innocent kids , especially those who live near shops.

There is no substitute for a Police Force and enforcable, draconian punishments. What kind of society broadcasts ear piercing noise to ward of it's youth? Answer: A fractured one. It's high time it was fixed but the charlatans in Westminster. If they won't do it, elect someone who will.