PDA

View Full Version : More Supermarket Pricing Muck Ups....

Gizmo
12-Feb-08, 14:47
Further to the earlier thread about the overcharging etc at our local supermarkets i thought people should know this.

Tesco this week, Quaker Granola Cereal, ticket on the shelf said £1.85 each or 2 for £2, when i checked my reciept they were charged at 2 for £3

Somerfield this week, Reach Toothbrush, ticket on shelf said Buy 1 Get 1 Free at £1.99 each, checked my reciept before leaving the shop only to notice that they had been charged at £2.99 each.

I know mistakes happen from time to time, but this is getting ridiculous, it's happening nearly every week now, my wife used to lose/mislay all the reciepts when she went shopping and used to always go in the huff when i moaned at her for not having them, she would make out like i was some kind of fool for being so concernd about a stupid reciept, needless to say nowadays she always makes sure she keeps the reciept, it makes you wonder just how many times you have been ripped off by these supermarkets.

Giz

xx_chickie
12-Feb-08, 14:52
It is ridiculous, and a pain...

In the eyes of the law, in a self service shop such as a supermarket, goods priced on shelf are seen as an 'invitation to treat' only, not definite, and they are entitled to change them. Supermarkets know shoppers are stressed are and they take advantage of it!

This is a huge inconvenience though, and I don't agree with it. :(

mccaugm
12-Feb-08, 15:32
I order my shopping online and I get the list of items purchased and further down the offers/BOGOF's etc.
I can check them straight away and if I have a complaint the driver is great about rectifying it.
Also its easier as its in your own home and not half way home in the car when you realise.

scorrie
12-Feb-08, 15:44
I was in the Coop a couple of weeks ago and they had chicken fillets, buy two for £5, however I looked at the packets and they were £1.99 each!! I called one of the staff over and pointed out the discrepancy. He said they were supposed to be £2.99 each. I must have been slightly ill that day because I didn't force them to sell me the product at £1.99 each and settled for letting him take them away to be relabeled.

Bobinovich
12-Feb-08, 15:54
It appears Tesco are well and truly 'at it' - http://tescoripoff.com/

Gizmo
12-Feb-08, 15:55
I'm pretty fussy about the quality of fruit & veg that i buy, there are good, not so good, and bad quality in each F&V basket and i dont trust an employee at Tesco to pick the best quality for me so i would never use their online ordering, plus it's kinda expensive to get delivered, and anyway...i like to have a look around the store for new products, dvds, video games etc.

golach
12-Feb-08, 15:57
This web site has been designed by the Tesco employees, it opened my eyes I can tell you.

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/

Kenn
12-Feb-08, 16:10
Some one will tell me if I am wrong, but I have always understood that if a product is advertised at a certain price then that is the price the vendor must sell it at.
Advertising id deemed to mean, anything that has a price,shelf talker and does not necessarily mean that it has been in a fly sheet.
I gave up using the supermarkets many years ago for this very reason as I was consistently being overcharged although I must admit returning to the checkout with the reciepts and good and deemanding to see a supervisor made sure I always got the necessary refund. However we should not have to go to these extremes.

Gizmo
12-Feb-08, 16:14
Some one will tell me if I am wrong, but I have always understood that if a product is advertised at a certain price then that is the price the vendor must sell it at.

No, i think they get around it by deeming it 'An Invitation To Buy' that is subject to change.

Julia
12-Feb-08, 16:33
I went through the self serve till last night in Tesco and was charged the full price for 'buy 3 items for the price of 2', at least I got double the difference refunded when I pointed it out to customer services.

badger
12-Feb-08, 18:11
I've always found they are very good at putting things right if you tell them at the time, or even sometimes going back later. Having said that, after the earlier thread about this I checked my last till receipt more carefully and found I'd been charged twice so I suppose the answer is to check before leaving the store. Fine if you're on your own but pretty difficult for parents with small children.

rfr10
12-Feb-08, 18:14
It is ridiculous, and a pain...

In the eyes of the law, in a self service shop such as a supermarket, goods priced on shelf are seen as an 'invitation to treat' only, not definite, and they are entitled to change them. Supermarkets know shoppers are stressed are and they take advantage of it!

This is a huge inconvenience though, and I don't agree with it. :(

That's the opposite of what I was told. I head that what ever they have written on the shelf, they must sell it at that price.

Geo
12-Feb-08, 19:36
It used to be that way but hasn't been for a long time. The price on the shelf is an invitation for you to make an offer for the item at that price. Once you make the offer the shop can accept it or decline if they wish. The point at which they must supply the goods is when they accept your offer and take your money. Then a contract to supply has been formed between you both.

However as long as you check your Tesco receipt it works in your favour as they give you back double the difference.

Mr P Cannop
12-Feb-08, 20:16
I was in the Coop a couple of weeks ago and they had chicken fillets, buy two for £5, however I looked at the packets and they were £1.99 each!! I called one of the staff over and pointed out the discrepancy. He said they were supposed to be £2.99 each. I must have been slightly ill that day because I didn't force them to sell me the product at £1.99 each and settled for letting him take them away to be relabeled.

what co-op was you in ??

bekisman
12-Feb-08, 21:38
tried to post, but the link was hatched (#) out - yet it was a perfectly normal one!

stekar
12-Feb-08, 21:43
I was in Somerfield yesterday, bought something which was on multi-buy, but the saving didn't come up at the till.

The lassie went away to check the shelf, yes I was correct but the label was out of date. Because it was advertised as such I got the goods at the multi-buy rate.

I've done quite well with Tesco's and caught them out for overcharging on quite a few occasions and got double the difference back.

Need to be vigiliant with till receipts but it's difficult to remember the price of everything you buy.

gemma89
12-Feb-08, 22:39
I no in tesco if you go to customer services or if u notice it at the time and you are right you will get it for the price on the shelf!
I no this as I worked in tescos as a temp wen they 1st opened in wick and costomers came to my till will 2 rugs that was marked £0.25 on the shelves but came up at £25 on th till... once checking the shelves the costomers got the 2 rugs for 50p as tesco was in the wrong!
:lol:

Gizmo
13-Feb-08, 00:54
I no in tesco if you go to customer services or if u notice it at the time and you are right you will get it for the price on the shelf!
I no this as I worked in tescos as a temp wen they 1st opened in wick and costomers came to my till will 2 rugs that was marked £0.25 on the shelves but came up at £25 on th till... once checking the shelves the costomers got the 2 rugs for 50p as tesco was in the wrong!

Does this post constitute reasonable grounds for sacking the entire English teaching department at Wick High? :)

Ah No am noh brulliant at writein an at.but ats ruhbish gramer an spelin ;)