PDA

View Full Version : Calling all parents/parents to be...

justine
12-Feb-08, 12:30
I have been informed by my health visitor that now the World Health Organisation are stating that you should no longer start to wean your child until the age of 6 months old.Now as some may know i have 9 kids and they have all been weaned at 4mths...

has any one else been advised about this, as i have just started to wean Keonah-Jade.Now i know from experience that a baby loses its chewing reflex by 6 mths so what are we to do..All baby products are stated from 4 mths...It is starting to get confusing..So when did you ot do you intend on weaning your child...:lol:

mccaugm
12-Feb-08, 12:46
My boys were all weaned between 8 and 14 weeks. No way could they wait till six months, they would have been starving. They were all chunky babies of around 9lbs at birth.

Its personal choice, in almost all cases the mother/parents know best.

skinnydog
12-Feb-08, 13:05
Well mine is 3 now and I was advised way back then that it should be 6 months that kids are weaned at but that it is ok to wean at anything from 4 months depending on size of baby, type of feeding etc. Mine too was a right hungry horace and could have been on steak and chips no bother!!

kriklah
12-Feb-08, 13:07
my 4 all started weaning at 4 months, as they were ready for it, trying to double their daily milk intake, and id be planing to start then with this next one aswell.

i definitly think its a mother/baby knows best and we all know babies will do things in their own sweet time anyway:lol:

next the govenment will be telling us how long were allowd to be pregnant for!!!! that 40 weeks is either too long or not long enough and we have to keep it in longer!!!!!

Ash
12-Feb-08, 13:10
every child is different, my wee one was prem so she was weaned slightly later, all kids are different, some people can wean abit too soon, me personally 3-4months is perfect age

Julia
12-Feb-08, 13:11
My son, who is 14 months old now, weighed nearly ten pounds when he was born and I did not wean him until just before six months, he was and still is breastfed.

The thing is that a baby's digestive systems simply cannot cope with solids and the effects of early weaning can affect them in later life, mother's need to think of this when tempted to feed solids.

A publication issued by the Department of Health considers the risks associated with weaning early:

“What are the risks associated with starting solids early?

Introducing solids before sufficient development of the neuro-muscular co-ordination (to allow the infant to eat solid foods) or before the gut and kidneys have matured (to cope with a more diverse diet), can increase the risk of infections and development of allergies such as eczema and asthma.

Certain foods are more likely to upset a baby or cause an allergic reaction than other foods. These foods should not be introduced before six months

If you decide to introduce your baby to solid foods before six months there are many foods that should be avoided gluten, eggs, fish, shellfish, liver, citrus fruits, soft and unpasteurised cheeses.

You need to ask your health visitor for advice, especially if your baby was premature.

---------------------------------------------------

The amount of people I bump into who are proud to tell me their baby is on solids at 8 weeks or so just amazes me, I have to keep my gob firmly shut or I would just let rip at their stupidity! Personally if you can it's best to leave weaning until at least 16 weeks (that was the case when my eldest was born) it's been advised to wait until six months now for quite a while.

chaz
12-Feb-08, 13:20
All of mine were weaned at 3-4 months. Now my grandaughter who lives with us is 4 months and eating 3 small meals a day and her bottles, she has the appetite of a horse. She was a big baby and was needing fed every 2 hours until we started weaning her,now she happy, in a routine and very content sleeping all night.:)

Dadie
12-Feb-08, 13:25
I breast fed Lauren and she would often up her feeding to every 2 hours when she had a growing spurt on but I left of feeding her solids until she was 25 weeks old when she was reeady for it then. I will hopefully be able to do the same with this next one!

WeeBurd
12-Feb-08, 13:35
... snip... I have to keep my gob firmly shut or I would just let rip at their stupidity! Personally if you can it's best to leave weaning until at least 16 weeks (that was the case when my eldest was born) it's been advised to wait until six months now for quite a while.

Julia, your post smacks of hypocracy. You rave that people who wean their babies early show "stupidity", yet you acknowledge that your own child was weaned earlier than recommendations - but that's ok apparently. :roll:

Health Visitors have been recommending for some time now, that weaning should be delayed until six months wherever possible. However they will all certainly help and support any Mothers who feel their children are ready for solids sooner.

It really is down to the individual baby as to when they're begining to look for something more substantial than a milk only diet.

justine
12-Feb-08, 13:54
It seems as though most parents wean their kids about 4-6 months, which is the normal period...My daughter was prem but she still has her chewing reflex so she is enjoyingher meals....

I have to say that the ones who are feeding their children with solids before the reccommended time do you know what you are doing to them.You can cause liver failure, kidney problems and many gastro upsets.This is why they are reccommennding that we start about 6 mths and not before.They are trying to get the baby food companies to change the stage one foods at 6mths..This will only increase in number of babies that have feeding problems later on.It is hard to establish chewing if the child has not had the chance to do this at 4 mths or close to that...
What will first time mums be advised to do next.
I did tell my health visitor that they have all been weaned a 4 mths and i will be sticking to it,i have had no problems with any of mine...

Ash
12-Feb-08, 13:57
what i dont get is some mums who put like baby rice in bottles and feed there kids, this is soo dangerous, heard of so many people who do this, also people who put juice into baby bottles, this annoys me as its soo bad for there gums!

justine
12-Feb-08, 14:01
what i dont get is some mums who put like baby rice in bottles and feed there kids, this is soo dangerous, heard of so many people who do this, also people who put juice into baby bottles, this annoys me as its soo bad for there gums!

Thats the least of a babies worries..Apparently i was reading in the news last week(i will try to find the link) about making up bottles with boiling water,steaming and boiling teh bottles to sterilize them causes certain toxins out of the plastic and into their milk.The recommendations for this is to use glass bottles which is ok if you can get hold of one,,Maybe try ebay...
But i do agree you should never put rice or juice in a bottle..Rice in a bowl, and juice in a cup when they can, cooled boiled water until then girls/guys...

Julia
12-Feb-08, 14:40
Julia, your post smacks of hypocracy. You rave that people who wean their babies early show "stupidity", yet you acknowledge that your own child was weaned earlier than recommendations - but that's ok apparently. :roll:

When my daughter was born 7 years ago they recommended waiting until 4 months for weaning, she was weaned at 5 months .

My son was weaned a week before six months, i don't think a matter of a few days makes much difference and certainly does not make me a hypocrite.

johnlc
12-Feb-08, 15:05
i dont care what they say my child was rly hungry and the bottle never feed his appetite so he started eating solids bout 3 mnths old.

Valerie Campbell
12-Feb-08, 15:28
I have been informed by my health visitor that now the World Health Organisation are stating that you should no longer start to wean your child until the age of 6 months old.Now as some may know i have 9 kids and they have all been weaned at 4mths...

has any one else been advised about this, as i have just started to wean Keonah-Jade.Now i know from experience that a baby loses its chewing reflex by 6 mths so what are we to do..All baby products are stated from 4 mths...It is starting to get confusing..So when did you ot do you intend on weaning your child...:lol:

The advice has been 6 months for quite some time now. I trained as a nursery nurse in the 80s and at that time it was 3 months. By the time I had my children in the 90s, it was changed to 4 months. Now it's 6. Like Orgers have been saying, it depends very much on the baby. Mine were all hungry and my son was weaned at 3 months. If he hadn't been I'd have been a complete wreck! He was on 7oz feeds 4 times a day and was being sick so I gave him just a couple of spoons of baby rice and he settled down. Doesn't all the advice you get nowadays make you wonder how our mothers coped?

justine
12-Feb-08, 15:32
The advice has been 6 months for quite some time now. I trained as a nursery nurse in the 80s and at that time it was 3 months. By the time I had my children in the 90s, it was changed to 4 months. Now it's 6. Like Orgers have been saying, it depends very much on the baby. Mine were all hungry and my son was weaned at 3 months. If he hadn't been I'd have been a complete wreck! He was on 7oz feeds 4 times a day and was being sick so I gave him just a couple of spoons of baby rice and he settled down. Doesn't all the advice you get nowadays make you wonder how our mothers coped?

I know.I have thought of that many times when i see new parents to be buying all the fandagles of baby hood half of which you dont need..I laugh when i see people buying expensive toiletries for babies when our forbearers used good old soap..I have to admit that when i had my first she did get all the up to date gadgets but nine down the line and they get what they need, not what makes the room look lovely for 8-10mths before the wallpaper gets ruined and they start doing picasso on the walls