PDA

View Full Version : Help Stop Seal Hunting

Shabbychic
11-Feb-08, 15:48
Twenty-five years ago, the European Union made history when it ended its trade in products from newborn harp seals. Commercial seal hunting in some countries came to a virtual standstill, and countless baby seals were saved. But the hunters began to kill the pups when they were slightly older -- and the products from those seals are legally traded in the EU. Today, some commercial seal hunts are twice as large as they were when the EU first took action.

But there is new hope for the seals. The EU is considering ending all seal product trade in the European Union, regardless of the age of the seals. This move would save millions of seals from brutal slaughter, and help put a final end to commercial seal hunting globally.

Please follow this Link (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.hsus.org/about_us/humane_society_international_hsi/seal_trade_ban.html) and help stop this senseless slaughter.

Julia
11-Feb-08, 17:09
I filled in the survey, hopefully plenty others will too.

nanoo
11-Feb-08, 17:35
I filled in the survey as well and i hope many others do so to.

dragon
11-Feb-08, 19:42
I filled in the survey. thanks for posting it, I think it is important that peoples views are expressed. I disagree with hunting when it can't be justified. I can accept someone hunting an animal to feed the family and they make full use of the animal and they don't take anymore than is needed but killing countless numbers and leaving them to die is not acceptable.

orkneylass
11-Feb-08, 19:48
Help Stop Seal Hunting.....???

Which seal is it that you want to stop from hunting for its food??????

ett23
11-Feb-08, 19:50
Sadly I know of someone near Dunnet Head who regularly culls seals because they are considered a nuisance to him and other fishermen. They rip apart their nets to get to the fish and apparently there's no law against this culling to keep numbers down. I for one don't know the legality of it all but all I can say I had the privilege of sharing the ocean with 8 of these delightful creatures yesterday and was buzzing with excitement. I was on a kayak and the moment I got down to the shore and started paddling out to sea they all popped their heads up to get a good look at me. Some were very curious and came pretty close - within 12 ft or so! :D

I can understand it must be a real nuisance to have your nets torn apart by hungry seals looking for an easy catch but at the same time I can't agree with shooting these animals - they've got as much right to life and to the fish as we do. :~(

Liz
11-Feb-08, 20:40
I have filled in the survey. The seals have more right to the sea than we do!

Kenn
11-Feb-08, 22:54
Seals have survived various viruses over the years that have vastly depleted Their numbers , fotunately they seem to be holding their own for the moment.
The world has gone mad when you have one group of people giving their time at their own expense to try and protect these marine mammals and another that just sees them as a pest.
How much interest and pleasure did the seals that arrived in Thurso River a while back give to all those that went to see them? I have heard that they were shot because they might have helped themselves to a few salmon.
There is a move to try and bring more tourists to Caithness and one reason why folk will travel a long way is to see the seal colonies amongst other things.
What goes on elsewhere in the world may not seem of any significance in an area that is lucky to have so many of these animals.
Whilst I can understand that historically isolated communties depended on what they could hunt for the very survival in this day and age surely we should be doing everything possibel to protect all species in the hope that our descendents will enjoy the same priviledges that we do.

dook
12-Feb-08, 19:08
I always remember one stat from studying Marine at Aberdeen Uni. 40 years ago there was twice as many seals and twice as many salmon.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what species has had more of an impact on the salmon stocks.