PDA

View Full Version : High School Uniform

Kar63
11-Feb-08, 15:15
can somebody plz tel me if im right or wrong.... high school uniform is black nd white, black, white wotever, which ive thot was very smart since day 1. my daughter therfore went to school last week with a black nd white stripe sweater with roll neck (which i bought for her) as i thot it was very smart with black trousers... only for her to be confronted by Mr Trail telling her that it was NOT appropriate uniform!!!! why???? thats wot i wld like to no as it was not "flashy" or "trashy". only black nd white nd very very smart. I can assure u ive been passed high school a few times nd i often c very small shorts, some midriff etc bt yet he choses to be picky over this, i along with many others im sure, do not have money to waste buying a top for school which will never be worn again now!!

BRIE
11-Feb-08, 15:30
The school uniform is black trousers or skirt, white blouse or t-shirt & either a black jumper,cardigan or blazer.school ties are optional but one item of clothing must have a school logo on.
But in your daughters defence the uniform ISNT compulsary so if she wished to go to school in a luminous pink top she would be in her rights to do so:lol:

ashaw1
11-Feb-08, 16:54
I have 2 boys at high school and none of their uniform has the official badge. My eldest son has worn a very nice black and dark grey striped knitted jumper without any problems. However i do know that Mr Traill is picking up on non black outer jackets. I pick my boys up from school every day and i must say some of the so called school uniforms i do see on some of the children are far from regulation so i don't consider it fair if they are to single out certain individuals.

Venture
11-Feb-08, 18:01
The DRESS CODE for Wick High School is : Black trousers or skirt (no black jeans); white shirt, blouse, T-Shirt or Polo Shirt, Black fleece top or cardigan and black blazer. Any outer garment must be black and the school badge must be shown on one of the aforementioned items. School ties can also be worn if desired. Footwear must be black with no logos. All pupils were given an information sheet to take home to parents. Maybe you had a different sheet from me because I certainly didnt have black and white striped, black and grey striped or pink on mine.

Lets not forget that its the parents who are responsible for how their children are turned out for school.

Ash
11-Feb-08, 18:05
its a white stripe, i dont get what the problem is, loads of kids are going about half naked

Kar63
11-Feb-08, 19:22
i beg to differ venture, ur comment was fair enough but dont forget that UNIFORM is NOT commpulsory!! and i did get the form that u got so dont no why u wer so smuty with that comment.. my daughter has always complied with school uniform and Yes it was me that bought it for her as i thot it was very smart indeed.

Venture
11-Feb-08, 19:29
And dont forget Wick High School has a DRESS CODE. You're the one that mentioned uniform and compulsory.

Yoda the flump
11-Feb-08, 20:55
I have heard that Mr Traill has been pulling people up for their jackets.

Certainly you would think that in the winter when visibility is not so great wearing a bright jacket might be an advantage, but as we have seen in previous threads health and safety is not always the priority of some in the school (possibly this is unfair, but that is the perception given).

gemma89
11-Feb-08, 21:12
They may have a dress code but seein 13 and 14 year old girls going to school in the morning with little shorts and skirts that some would call a belt is not right! I think maybe this should be sorted 1st before picking up on little things!!

macleod_callum
11-Feb-08, 21:33
They may have a dress code but seeing 13 and 14 year old girls going to school in the morning with little shorts and skirts that some would call a belt is not right!

Several people on this thread have commented that they don't find the 'little shorts and skirts' that some of the pupils are wearing appropriate.

The school and Mr Trail are obviously trying to enforce the dress code and discourage the pupils from wearing 'wrong' items. The op (Kar63) shows this.

However if all parents take the view that as long as the items of clothing are roughly the correct colour or vaguely comply with the dress code, no progress or change can ever be made!

I find the statement "Uniforms are not compulsory" that is wheeled out anytime there is discussions of uniform, infuriating. The vast majority of pupils and parents at other schools in the country can comply with and accept uniform. So why can't Wick??

Callum Macleod

DeHaviLand
11-Feb-08, 22:27
can somebody plz tel me if im right or wrong.... high school uniform is black nd white, black, white wotever, which ive thot was very smart since day 1. my daughter therfore went to school last week with a black nd white stripe sweater with roll neck (which i bought for her) as i thot it was very smart with black trousers... only for her to be confronted by Mr Trail telling her that it was NOT appropriate uniform!!!! why???? thats wot i wld like to no as it was not "flashy" or "trashy". only black nd white nd very very smart. I can assure u ive been passed high school a few times nd i often c very small shorts, some midriff etc bt yet he choses to be picky over this, i along with many others im sure, do not have money to waste buying a top for school which will never be worn again now!!

Wouldn't it be better to ask Mr Traill?

Venture
11-Feb-08, 22:51
Im sure many of us have seen the St Trinians Brigade shivering and shuddering outside the school or down the street at lunchtime. Once INSIDE the school you may find its a different story.

rfr10
12-Feb-08, 17:39
About the "short skirts" thing, it was brought up at the pupil council meeting and it was agreed that it was not appropriate for people to wear this. I do though, still fail to see the rector stop people from wearing this. Before the new uniform/ dress code was introduced, skimpy clothing was not allowed then so if pupils are being stopped because they have maybe a single coloured stripe on their black jacket, they should also be stopped for wearing extremely short skirts. It is ridiculous to see girls going about trying to hold onto the bottom of ther skirt on a windy day.

Although I do comply with the dress code, I don't like the fact that the rector sometimes stand watching at the front of the school ready to pounce if someone is wearing even brown shoes. It feels very intimidating.

I am still unsure to what is not acceptable to wear to school, I can see your point Kar63. I think the problem your daughter has with her clothing is that it is "striped" I know it may sound ridiculous but from what I can see, the rector is being very (maybe overly) strict on what he sees as the dress code. For instance, I know someone who came into school one day with black shoes, black trousers, white shirt- the only thing is - he was wearing a black wastecoat on top of it and got stopped from wearing that.

What I didn't like is the fact that pupils were sent home for wearing a kilt to school the day after the prom this year. I thought this was totally stupid. It was the only one time of the year where people could come to school wearing their prom clothes. it was allowed in the past but the fact that it had been stopped is really silly to be honest. At the pupil council, we were also told that the rector rejected the idea of a no-uniform day to raise money for charity. If every pupil in the school payed £1 for one day of the year to not wear uniform, over £800 could be raised for chairty but the rector had said that this will not happen as pupils will just stop wearing uniform. I did not like his negative attitude here and think that a no uniform day would be a great idea and should not just be totally rejected. I still fail to see any action taken from pupil council meetings. They say things will be done but they never are. And like this issue, as with others, many are just rejected.

Doesn't anyone else agree than a no uniform day for chairty would be a great idea?

Oh and for some of the people who've written posts in here about the uniform being compulsary- if I'm correct in saying - the uniform isn't compulsary but the dress code is.

Cattach
12-Feb-08, 18:53
its a white stripe, i dont get what the problem is, loads of kids are going about half naked

Quite obvious who is to blame there - the parents. Also if you want a good school, a school to look up to and good atmosphere there has to be codes including a dress code. Problem is drawing the line and somewhere along the line parents will test the system through their children.
Some so called black and white uniforms are simply the thin end of the wedge and encouraging more and more slippage from the acceptable.
Better if parents support the school rather than looking for conflict at every opportunity. Fortunately only a very small percentage and pupils are of that mindset and most just want to get on with their education.

Cattach
12-Feb-08, 19:00
The school uniform is black trousers or skirt, white blouse or t-shirt & either a black jumper,cardigan or blazer.school ties are optional but one item of clothing must have a school logo on.
But in your daughters defence the uniform ISNT compulsary so if she wished to go to school in a luminous pink top she would be in her rights to do so:lol:

Not quite as straight forward as that. She might go in pink but would not be there long in her usual group. Pupils can be taught in special groups away from the main body of the school whether they in Maths, English or Pink!!!

~~Tides~~
12-Feb-08, 21:15
Pupil council meetings are now rather pointless. It's Mr Trail's way or no way. And he is rediculous on the uniform things he picks up on some days.
He pulled someone recently as their otherwise completly black top had a thin beige line at the neck. Meanwhile, someone with "G-Star Raw" in big letters on the front of their jacket walks right past.

gemma89
12-Feb-08, 22:13
Thurso have a dress down day where they go to school wearing there normal clothes.. Not sure if they do it for charity but I think that would be a good idea.. especially at the time of children and need wher the school does a lot of fundraising anyway.
After all it is only 1 day

rfr10
12-Feb-08, 22:23
Thurso have a dress down day where they go to school wearing there normal clothes.. Not sure if they do it for charity but I think that would be a good idea.. especially at the time of children and need wher the school does a lot of fundraising anyway.
After all it is only 1 day

And it would be an easy way to raise £800

ashaw1
15-Feb-08, 17:39
My son was picked up on his black trainers the other day, seemingly the tick on the side is a tad too big. Despite the fact that he has worn these to school every day for the last 3 months without any problem. I know the school prefer totally black shoes but was advised when buying them that they were perfectly acceptable.

rfr10
15-Feb-08, 17:56
My son was picked up on his black trainers the other day, seemingly the tick on the side is a tad too big. Despite the fact that he has worn these to school every day for the last 3 months without any problem. I know the school prefer totally black shoes but was advised when buying them that they were perfectly acceptable.

I think it's all getting a bit OTT now. I don't think you should changes his shoes just because of that.

lady penelope
15-Feb-08, 18:56
I think it's all getting a bit OTT now. I don't think you should changes his shoes just because of that.

Most parents can't afford to replace clothes or shoes, just because they have the wrong size tick! These things are expensive to replace anyway, when outgrown or worn out.;)

rfr10
15-Feb-08, 19:49
I'm guessing by the tick, you mean the Nike tick? That's possibly why, because you're not allowed brand names but I really don't see the harm on it, especially if it's only on the shoes and it's black and white.