PDA

View Full Version : The Manchester Derby

scotsboy
10-Feb-08, 15:37
Anyone watching? I watch a lot of football and a few things worthy of note in this “symbolic” match. For those who may not know it is the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash which decimated the Manchester United team of the day. Today the teams were led on to the pitch by their respective managers carrying wreaths, behind a Piper, the teams themselves wore strips which carried no sponsors – and the United one was a replica of what would have been worn in 1958, no badge, simply the numbers 1-11 on the backs. It looks great! Then there was a minutes silence, impeccably observed, much more fitting than the nonsense of a minutes applause which has crept into the game recently.

It is half-time and City are winning 2-0!!! Apparently Man City have not won at Old Trafford for over 34 years!

anneoctober
10-Feb-08, 15:46
Anyone watching? I watch a lot of football and a few things worthy of note in this “symbolic” match. For those who may not know it is the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash which decimated the Manchester United team of the day. Today the teams were led on to the pitch by their respective managers carrying wreaths, behind a Piper, the teams themselves wore strips which carried no sponsors – and the United one was a replica of what would have been worn in 1958, no badge, simply the numbers 1-11 on the backs. It looks great! Then there was a minutes silence, impeccably observed, much more fitting than the nonsense of a minutes applause which has crept into the game recently.

It is half-time and City are winning 2-0!!! Apparently Man City have not won at Old Trafford for over 34 years!
OMG ....don't say that ! Me OH is watching the game as we speak ( I'm hiding in me "pooter" room ) he's a ManU supporter.........:eek:

MadPict
10-Feb-08, 16:21
I watched the out pouring of public grief on the news and was wondered why the tears were still being shed fifty years on from an event, by many people were not even born when it happened.

I then watched the programme about Harry Gregg the other night.
The pain of that day and it's aftermath unfolded as Harry returned to the scene for the first time and met some of those who helped, and the woman and unborn baby (now a 50 year old man) who he saved from the wreckage, at least made me realise, that for those who were affected personally by the event, it is still a very painful memory.

weestraw
10-Feb-08, 16:49
A really good tribute paid by both teams. Especially as both teams lost in the disaster. A former Manchester City player was also killed in the crash. (he was a reporter).

And even better a Man City win !!! :)

percy toboggan
10-Feb-08, 18:51
I was there when we last won! It was a regular occurence in the late sixties early seventies after all.
Today was a great occasion for Manchester. A city united!
I wish the teams played in those kits all the time.
Great move by United to provide all of those scarves.
A fantastic day for City, and the city.
R.I.P those Busby babes....like many, I sang silly Munich songs when I was a kid....but I grew up!
This afternoon was a grown up doo....and nobody let anybody down inside that famous stadium.

Up the Blues!

hotrod4
11-Feb-08, 08:43
What a fitting tribute.
After all the booing of national anthems etc this proves there are good "fans" out there. As a city supporter i was delighted with the result but even more delighted with the behaviour of the fans.
A memorable game in more ways than one!!!!

rob murray
11-Feb-08, 10:48
I watched the out pouring of public grief on the news and was wondered why the tears were still being shed fifty years on from an event, by many people were not even born when it happened.

I then watched the programme about Harry Gregg the other night.
The pain of that day and it's aftermath unfolded as Harry returned to the scene for the first time and met some of those who helped, and the woman and unborn baby (now a 50 year old man) who he saved from the wreckage, at least made me realise, that for those who were affected personally by the event, it is still a very painful memory.

Remember the grief when Phil O Donnel dropped dead in a recent football match ? A player playing for a side who draw c5,000 fans but nonetheless connected to all football teams the football familiy. Man United even in the 50's were a huge draw c50,000 crowds with a team tipped to dominate football. It was the single significant UK sports disaster of all time and affected many 10's of thousands of supporters. The disaster sits at the heart of Man U and as long as there is a Man U supporters will always remember.

percy toboggan
11-Feb-08, 16:48
Such a shame that six pages of red/white/black scarves appeared on e.bay today. There is no way of knowing who the sellers claim to 'support' but they are symptomatic of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

scorrie
11-Feb-08, 21:01
Such a shame that six pages of red/white/black scarves appeared on e.bay today. There is no way of knowing who the sellers claim to 'support' but they are symptomatic of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

People love a bit of sentiment but they often love the old pound above anything else. Granny for sale!!, Granny for sale!!