PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Washing Lines

Sapphire2803
08-Feb-08, 21:25
When we first moved here, the pegs that we brought with us were binned after a few trips down the field to retrieve the washing. We finally found some on ebay which look like a plastic version of dolly pegs (sort of) which hold the washing so well that I have difficulty removing them.
Now the washing line just snaps instead! :eek:

Where do you buy 'Caithness grade' washing lines?
and what's the furthest your washing has ever made it on an escape attempt?

kwbrown111
08-Feb-08, 21:49
Try Caithness Livestock Breeders in Thurso(Sir Archibald Road)for varying thicknesses of plastic coated line

erli
08-Feb-08, 21:50
The one with the metal bits don't work, my sheets have traveled further than I have using those.
The best ones are the yellow plastic cheels, they grip tight but you need a month in the gym before you can remove them.
A bigger problem up here is the scorries, especially if you are near a harbour.

erli
08-Feb-08, 21:54
Just re-read and realised you are talking about the lines not the pegs. The best I have used is rope that fishermen use, I don't know the technical name for it but it's blue stuff. :lol:

Whitewater
08-Feb-08, 22:14
[QUOTE=Sapphire2803;336

and what's the furthest your washing has ever made it on an escape attempt?[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you can buy Caithness grade washing line. We use an electrical cable which is very strong, it has 3 or 4 insulated copper cables inside. It's been up for many years and hasn't broke as yet. However, my wife was just complaining today that we are 3 pillow cases less now as they must have made it all the way to the north sea, certainly not in the back yard.

George Brims
08-Feb-08, 22:17
Farm folk tend to use galvanized fence wire for washing lines. Lasts decades.

Julia
08-Feb-08, 22:25
I used phone wire for years, I think the fibre optics helped. [lol]

Sapphire2803
08-Feb-08, 22:39
I have 4 washing lines on the go, so I think I might try a different suggestion on each one. See how it goes :)
I think I've got some of that blue rope somewhere, so that'll be first. Can't believe I didn't think of trying that before.

Doh!

WeeBurd
08-Feb-08, 23:56
Aye, my line was a victim of todays winds too - particularly frustrating as it's the first time in weeks I've put washing outside to dry. Of course, it goes without saying it was a lights wash, grrrr[evil]

TBH
09-Feb-08, 00:06
When we first moved here, the pegs that we brought with us were binned after a few trips down the field to retrieve the washing. We finally found some on ebay which look like a plastic version of dolly pegs (sort of) which hold the washing so well that I have difficulty removing them.
Now the washing line just snaps instead! :eek:

Where do you buy 'Caithness grade' washing lines?
and what's the furthest your washing has ever made it on an escape attempt?Try some bailer twine for those wild, windy Caithness days.:lol:

Riffman
09-Feb-08, 01:01
Stainless steel wire rope (6mm) would be the best, strong enough to tightrope walk on!

Sapphire2803
09-Feb-08, 01:04
Stainless steel wire rope (6mm) would be the best, strong enough to tightrope walk on!

Please tell me I don't have to test it!! :eek:

Buttercup
09-Feb-08, 01:29
Farm folk tend to use galvanized fence wire for washing lines. Lasts decades.
Yip, have to agree. My mum's still using the same line since the 50's.

Moi x
09-Feb-08, 03:57
What's a washing line? :)

I remember them from when I was a bairn but I don't think I've used one this millennium. I think there was one in the garden when I moved into this house but it's long gone now.

Heck, memories are flowing back of fresh wind-dried sheets, shirts and undies, things that are lost to the tumble-dried generation. :~(

Aaldtimer
09-Feb-08, 04:23
Aye, my line was a victim of todays winds too - particularly frustrating as it's the first time in weeks I've put washing outside to dry. Of course, it goes without saying it was a lights wash, grrrr[evil]

Have to point out Weeburd that wee birds don't actually normally go "grrrr", it's more of a "hurrrrrrrrrrr" when they get annoyed![lol]

Sapphire2803
09-Feb-08, 12:31
What's a washing line?

I remember them from when I was a bairn but I don't think I've used one this millennium. I think there was one in the garden when I moved into this house but it's long gone now.

Heck, memories are flowing back of fresh wind-dried sheets, shirts and undies, things that are lost to the tumble-dried generation. :~(

Yep, when we lived down south, there was no point hanging out the washing, the back yard was just far too sheltered. That's not a problem I have here :lol:
The first thing I did when we moved was to hang out the bedclothes. Ooh! it's lovely. I put my tumble drier in the garage, so that I don't end up putting things in there just because I'm too lazy to walk outside

WeeBurd
09-Feb-08, 21:32
Have to point out Weeburd that wee birds don't actually normally go "grrrr", it's more of a "hurrrrrrrrrrr" when they get annoyed!

'Iss WeeBurd was saying a lot worse than "grrrr" and "hrrrrr", I can assure ye 'o 'at, Aald-Yin! [lol]

And to top it all off, I noticed this morning that the wind has blown away my window-mounted bird feeder too! [evil]