PDA

View Full Version : Taxis and Kids

erli
08-Feb-08, 20:39
Had to use a Taxi today as my car was getting it's MOT. I did my weekly shop and phoned for one.
Taxi arrived and we loaded the shopping, I asked about a booster seat for my youngest and was told that they don't have one.
I have no idea about the law regarding taxis and kids, hoping someone can tell me. Do I have to provide the booster seat or is it up to the taxi firm. I probably should have checked with the firm when I phoned but I didn't think.
I used it anyway, strapping him in so tightly he complained I was chocking him.
I'm not having a go at the taxi firms, it's probably me who is in the wrong, I'm just wondering if anyone knows who should be providing them.
I am picturing myself lugging bags of shopping, 3 kids and a booster seat along the street before I get to the supermarket. I don't normally have to worry about this as I have a car but today got me wondering. What about Mums and Dads who rely on taxis . What's the story?

Sapphire2803
08-Feb-08, 20:46
Taxis are about the only exception to the law, although it still says you should use one if it's available.
What I wonder is, when the taxi picks a child up every day for the school run, surely thay should have a booster then, Shouldn't they?

Venture
08-Feb-08, 20:48
Phone Dina's Taxis she always carries a booster seat and has special adjustable seatbelts for children. I dont think its compulsory for Taxis to carry booster seats its up to the individual Taxi operator.

mccaugm
08-Feb-08, 20:55
I always hate using taxis with toddlers or children when they don't have safety seats/booster seats.

I think they would claim they take up too much space in the boot or whatever.

I have actually been in a taxi where the seatbelt locking devices have been stuffed down the back of the seat with no access to them. I mentioned this and was ignored. I would have said this was illegal.

As for shopping - order online from Tesco - problem solved.

badger
08-Feb-08, 21:57
If you worry about taxis, try the buses. Children are supposed to be strapped in but I've never heard a driver mention it, the belts are lap belts and often don't work anyway. I don't know about school buses but they're probably the same.

It says in the Groat today that police are clamping down on people who don't use seat belts in cars. What is the logic of all these rules for cars with increasingly expensive and complicated child seats and laws that seem to change every year when public transport has nothing?

mccaugm
09-Feb-08, 00:29
If you worry about taxis, try the buses. Children are supposed to be strapped in but I've never heard a driver mention it, the belts are lap belts and often don't work anyway. I don't know about school buses but they're probably the same.

It says in the Groat today that police are clamping down on people who don't use seat belts in cars. What is the logic of all these rules for cars with increasingly expensive and complicated child seats and laws that seem to change every year when public transport has nothing?

I have said this before on the Org, the kids on the Thurso High School buses are supposed to wear seat belts. Its the biggest farce/lie out. The teacher comes on, checks they are wearing them, then as he gets of the bus, all you can hear is the click click of the kids undoing them, turning round and general minor chaos ensues. I think that someone should stay on the bus so they cannot do this. This may smack of Big Brother - better that than dead kids if there was an accident. The bus drivers are not concerned as it does not affect them...they just want to get them from A to B.

Buttercup
09-Feb-08, 01:08
I have said this before on the Org, the kids on the Thurso High School buses are supposed to wear seat belts. Its the biggest farce/lie out. The teacher comes on, checks they are wearing them, then as he gets of the bus, all you can hear is the click click of the kids undoing them, turning round and general minor chaos ensues. I think that someone should stay on the bus so they cannot do this. This may smack of Big Brother - better that than dead kids if there was an accident. The bus drivers are not concerned as it does not affect them...they just want to get them from A to B.
Aye, they need to bring back the clippies. We wouldn't have dared play up on our school bus or we'd have been given a clip round the ear! [lol]

northener
09-Feb-08, 19:42
Taxis are exempt.

To meet the same legislative standards as the general public, the Taxis would have to carry an array of different sized devices to suit all sizes.
Bear in mind that many families have more than one kid that will need a booster seat or a full baby carrier type restraint. They'd end up with more boosters than boot space!

I've also seen some interesting arguments where parents will not even tell their kids to sit down in the back of taxis and have taken offence when the taxi driver has told them to sort their kids out for their own safety:roll:

In my yoof, if you didn't do as the coach driver told you on the school bus, you were unceremoniously thrown off (up to a 4 mile walk home over moorland).

The drivers today have to endure the 'you can't touch me' culture. I'm not suprised they dont care - I wouldn't either.