PDA

View Full Version : Junior Aspirin

Liz
08-Feb-08, 19:52
Our Vet wants us to give Charly 1/4 of a Junior aspirin twice a week to prevent blood clots in his legs.
The only one we could get was dispersable which is no use!
Do all you 'mummies' know where I can get this?
Thanks!

Thumper
08-Feb-08, 19:57
as far as I am aware Liz it only comes in the disperserable type nowadays but it should still be ok to give to Charlie,on the bright side once you have it in his mouth even if he doesnt swallow it will disolve in a few minutes x

Liz
08-Feb-08, 20:08
I have found 75mg Aspirin online so if I can't get it locally will order it there.
Vet said not to get dispersible as it wouldn't be very nice!

dousslesh
09-Feb-08, 19:53
Vet recommended same for our cat. Found Boots Chemist stocked 'Cardio EC Tablets ( Asprin 75mg) We give our cat 1/4 tablet twice weekly Hope this is helpful.

Liz
09-Feb-08, 23:07
Vet recommended same for our cat. Found Boots Chemist stocked 'Cardio EC Tablets ( Asprin 75mg) We give our cat 1/4 tablet twice weekly Hope this is helpful.

I managed to get these today from Boots thanks!

I find it really difficult to cut them into 1/4' s. Any tips?:confused

How is your cat doing and what other medication is he/she on?

dousslesh
10-Feb-08, 21:11
Glad the info was helpful . I use a small sharp knife to cut up the tablets -on a tea towel to save any crumbly bits ! I keep the remaining pieces in another container. Suki ,our cat is also on Frusimide (1/2 tablet daily ; I have marathon tablet cutting up sessions every now and again !) combined with Asprin this appears to be working for her . She has been on the Asprin since August .
Sadly she is quite unwell at the moment - although nothing to do with her heart condition; Has had a poor appetite for a few days and is being treated for a Recurring urine infection (Seems to occure every 6 months or so) We are also awaiting Blood test results for possible Kidney or Liver problems- although The Vet suspects there may be something more sinister. Should have results tomorrow or Tuesday .-Fingers crossed

carasmam
10-Feb-08, 21:30
We are also awaiting Blood test results for possible Kidney or Liver problems- although The Vet suspects there may be something more sinister. Should have results tomorrow or Tuesday .-Fingers crossed

Hope you get good news tomorrow

Liz
10-Feb-08, 23:23
I am so sorry that Suki is unwell.:( It is just awful when they are ill.

I really hope that you get good news re the results and that Suki soon gets better.

dousslesh
11-Feb-08, 00:07
Thanks for all the good wishes. Suki is such a sweet natured cat - we 'inherited ' her when we moved into our house and although I am not a 'cat person' she is very much loved and part of the family - gets on with our dogs just as long as they know who is boss !
Actually I think I may have become a cat person - it sort of creeps up on you unawares doesn't it ? !!! We have 3 Ferrel cats living in the barn and have had a few kittens along the way -Think pregnant felines know we are a soft touch !!! Thanks to Cat Protection League the cats have been spayed ASAP after kittens have been born and they even assisted with rehoming some of the kittens - although we ended up keeping one ourselves !! Anyway at the last count we had 3 cats but it is normally about this time of year yet another 'expectant mum' turns up - so watch this space !!!
Hope next day or two brings good news for Suki she is a special little cat (athough She hates the 'Barn cats !!!! ) At least she has improved on the Antibiotics, she is more comfortable and not spending hours sat in a cat litter tray looking very unhappy. ! Hate it when our pets can't tell us what is wrong . At least in a day or two we will know what we are dealing with.

Liz
11-Feb-08, 13:47
I am glad that Suki is a wee bit better. As you say it is so awful when they are ill and they can't tell you what is wrong.

Well done for getting all the feral cats spayed. If everyone did this then we wouldn't have such a big 'cat problem' in Caithness.

Let us know how Suki gets on.

dousslesh
12-Feb-08, 21:36
Good news Re Suki ! Blood Test results indicated overactive Thyroid ! So hopefully ongoing medication will give her a much better quality of life. Means Blood Test again in 3 weeks and then hopefully a reduction in medication to a 'maintainance dose' -Currently will be costing us £15 per month so any reduction would be helpful !!! Thanks for supportive messages - Much appreciated!

Liz
12-Feb-08, 23:03
Oh that is wonderful news!
I am so glad that it is something which can be treated and many cats cope perfectly well with this as long as they are on medication.
Poor Suki will be rattling!!!lol

carasmam
13-Feb-08, 10:08
Good news Re Suki ! Blood Test results indicated overactive Thyroid ! So hopefully ongoing medication will give her a much better quality of life. Means Blood Test again in 3 weeks and then hopefully a reduction in medication to a 'maintainance dose' -Currently will be costing us £15 per month so any reduction would be helpful !!! Thanks for supportive messages - Much appreciated!

Thats good to hear, she'll be back to her old self in no time now :)