PDA

View Full Version : Heating Oil

bekisman
08-Feb-08, 15:26
Heating Oil
At 12.15 today we rang Simpson's at Wick to order a delivery of oil, expecting it to be delivered next week, an hour and half later their wagon comes trundling down the drive! (now it's near 50 miles from Simpson's to here).. The driver explained that he was actually nearby in Melvich doing a delivery when he got a call from Wick, pretty organised.. Anyway out of interest, we had over a thousand litres @ 41.94p litre (is that good or bad?)

skinnydog
08-Feb-08, 15:29
Don't know if that is a good price or not but it is pretty excellent customer service!!

Just out of interest, how long does 1000 litres of oil last you (dependant of course on how big your house is and how long you have your heating on each day).

I am on oil too and trying to guage whether or not my system is efficient or is it just burning my money!!!

badger
08-Feb-08, 16:05
Simpsons are very efficient but that's pretty good even for them.

There was something on the radio this week about a community who try to organise a number of local deliveries at the same time. I've been doing that for a while where I live and wonder whether it's something other people might consider. Given the horrendous price of oil (and I think Simpsons are cheaper than others) you get a better price for bulk buying but without paying the extra VAT. It also saves a lot of unnecessary journeys by the tankers, which must be good. Even if everyone in a group doesn't have empty tanks, they can always top up. Maybe not required in towns but in the countryside this must be a good idea surely. Imagine the waste if Bekisman's delivery man hadn't got the call and had to return next day.

bekisman
08-Feb-08, 16:21
skinnydog; "Don't know if that is a good price or not but it is pretty excellent customer service!! Just out of interest, how long does 1000 litres of oil last you (dependant of course on how big your house is and how long you have your heating on each day).I am on oil too and trying to guage whether or not my system is efficient or is it just burning my money!!!"

Well we had our boiler put in, in January 1999 (A Warmflow 70/90) get it serviced each year - in May 2007 it was 83.1% efficiency; the Engineer tells us it gets more efficient each year..
We've got 10 radiators; mixture of doubles and a couple of small singles.. thing is, we run a B & B and with folk coming from Finland, they turn the heating off, those from Italy; turn it on (even on hot days) so it's very difficult to work out running costs, but just checked and our last filling was 27th Sept 07 when we put in 500 litres - and this was when oil level was at minimum.. So 500 litres lasted 113 days (we were away for 3 weeks during this period, and during the 'quiet' season the rads are off in 'the B & B end') We are Cavity Wall insulated, plus 4 inches internal insulation and 12 inch loft insulation, so we don't have the heating on continuously.. Incidentally all our hot water needs are served too..

BUT having in the past prior to Oil, burnt the peats, dug it ourselves laid it, turned it, paid for someone to bring it in, shoved it in the Rayburn and dealt with the winds trying to empty the ashcan, it is SO much easier to just push a button and hear the heating come on!

Badger, you mention people getting together and ordering in bulk I'm on this: http://www.boilerjuice.com/ (http://www.boilerjuice.com/) but seems no one else is or the system does not work up here?

badger
08-Feb-08, 16:24
Thanks bekisman - how interesting. I'd never heard of it. I'm waiting to speak to Mr Simpson on another matter so will ask him. Worth looking into.

skinnydog
08-Feb-08, 16:31
Thank you, Bekisman. I have done my radiator count, now off to check when I received my last delivery of oil and how many litres and I will do some basic sums to see how I am fairing. Thanks again.

bekisman
08-Feb-08, 17:36
Badger; "I'm waiting to speak to Mr Simpson on another matter so will ask him. Worth looking into."

Be interesting to hear if it could be a goer (boilerjuice) I for one would join it! and I'm sure that there are a great many on the Org who would deal with Simpson's if it was financially worth it..

oldchemist
08-Feb-08, 17:40
We live in a 3 bedroom bungalow and get about 15 months from 2,000 litres (and Mrs Oldchem feels the cold so it is always warm).

Stargazer
08-Feb-08, 18:50
Heating Oil
At 12.15 today we rang Simpson's at Wick to order a delivery of oil, expecting it to be delivered next week, an hour and half later their wagon comes trundling down the drive! (now it's near 50 miles from Simpson's to here).. The driver explained that he was actually nearby in Melvich doing a delivery when he got a call from Wick, pretty organised.. Anyway out of interest, we had over a thousand litres @ 41.94p litre (is that good or bad?)

That looks like a good price. I was 47.75p from Scottish Fuels last week. I'll try Simpsons next time.

silverfox57
08-Feb-08, 21:32
paid scottish fuels 43.25p per litre two weeks ago,cost about 12000 pounds per year to heat house, with 9 radiators,ten years ago was paying 15p per litre,wife puts heating up ,i go at her back and turn it down,soon been spring .

badger
08-Feb-08, 21:51
Badger; "I'm waiting to speak to Mr Simpson on another matter so will ask him. Worth looking into."

Be interesting to hear if it could be a goer (boilerjuice) I for one would join it! and I'm sure that there are a great many on the Org who would deal with Simpson's if it was financially worth it..

Have spoken to him now and emailed him the link so, we'll see. Have to say I don't know him and have no connection with his company but can find nothing but praise for them. They have always been cheaper than Scottish Fuels and when on one occasion his driver accidentally drove over a patch of my grass he sent someone round to rectify it. Not many companies give such good service.

Whitewater
08-Feb-08, 21:58
We live in a 3 bedroom bungalow and get about 15 months from 2,000 litres (and Mrs Oldchem feels the cold so it is always warm).

That sounds about the same as us. Our house must be roughly the same size as yours, we also have a fairly large dining room. It must be an age thing, neither Mrs Whitewater or myself like the cold either. Working out the cost now I believe my bill is about the same as I would pay for the community heating system which is being installed in Wick. We are lucky enough to have our house in an area where we can get connected on to the ring main, but the installation cost is in the region of £3K. I will keep the oil for now but if the price should increase dramaticly we will probably change over. It is nice to have a reasonable option.

purplerain
09-Feb-08, 23:33
Bear in mind I live in Aberdeen but the last top up (before Christmas) was 37.35p per litre. Fuel price has of course risen since then!! What do you pay for petrol per litre at the moment? Normally gets dearer the further north you get!! :lol:

Macwull
10-Feb-08, 01:01
paid scottish fuels 43.25p per litre two weeks ago,cost about 12000 pounds per year to heat house, with 9 radiators,ten years ago was paying 15p per litre,wife puts heating up ,i go at her back and turn it down,soon been spring .

£12,000!! Must be warm in your house!!!! :lol: