PDA

View Full Version : How many full-time staff are there in Wick Tesco?

scorrie
08-Feb-08, 14:44
I was reading the report on the home page about Northern towns tackling the Tesco effect. It quotes 260 jobs in Wick Tesco. I wondered if this was the number of full-time, permanent jobs, as the figure seems very high to me. Does anyone know?

Buttercup
08-Feb-08, 18:04
Don't know about Tesco's workforce.
Depends what you/they call "full-time". A lot of places class 30 hours as full-time, but I think you'll find the majority of shops only want staff for up to 16 hours, with only a few taken on for 30+ hours. Stands to reason that its easier to get holiday/sickness cover for 16 hours than 30+. It also fairly boosts up the number of people you employ too.;)

scorrie
08-Feb-08, 18:16
Don't know about Tesco's workforce.
Depends what you/they call "full-time". A lot of places class 30 hours as full-time, but I think you'll find the majority of shops only want staff for up to 16 hours, with only a few taken on for 30+ hours. Stands to reason that its easier to get holiday/sickness cover for 16 hours than 30+. It also fairly boosts up the number of people you employ too.;)

Thanks for your input. I found the following definition of full-time online:-

"There is no precise definition in UK law but generally considered to be working 35 hours a week or more."

I have a pet hate about job figures being quoted without definition of how many hours per week is actually involved. It is surely the actual "man hours" involved that is indicative of the true employment created?