PDA

View Full Version : T In The Park 2008!

purplerain
08-Feb-08, 12:29
Hello everyone, I am new to the org and this is my first thread.
Has anyone heard when more tickets are going on sale for T in the park? I need to book the day off work to try and get tickets! :lol:
I've heard that Muse, The verve, REM and Amy Winehouse are playing this year.

Boozeburglar
08-Feb-08, 12:51
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=92061

Those guys seem to have the skinny, good luck and welcome!

:)

skinnydog
08-Feb-08, 16:36
Don't hold your breath for Amy Winehouse playing. At the rate she's going she will be in a box by then. Made me laugh that she was refused a visa to enter the states as she was going to be appearing at the Grammies. Like she has a good track record of turning up lately. Not.

johnlc
08-Feb-08, 16:38
its this month but not sure wen

Valerie Campbell
08-Feb-08, 19:43
Take your wellies!!

gollach
08-Feb-08, 20:05
Tickets will be on sale a week tomorrow (Saturday 16th). Best to try to get yourself an account on ticketmaster website before then to speed things up on the day.

I got mine last summer so I'll be having a long lie.

Tighsonas4
08-Feb-08, 20:43
WELCOME PURPLERAIN
never knew t in the park was so near at hand?? have a grandson in there
the last 2 years with his crowd.. backing obviously although they have an
emi label make model. hope im not advertising lol they have a web site
on here happy posting tony

chocolatechip
08-Feb-08, 22:22
Going back to that Amy Winehouse comment, I heard today on the radio that they might be getting a satilite setup so they can hear her or see her perform.;)

Poppy_88
09-Feb-08, 00:11
Words of advice - Be EXTREMELY aware at T in the Park, especially around Perth bus station if getting the shuttle bus to the venue!

I made the mistake of leaving my bag with a friend, at the bus station, to replace a contant lens. She momentarily set the bags on the ground, but that is all it took for someone to run past and grab my grab.

Not only were my tickets stolen, so was my digital camera, phone, purse (inc £50 cash), Ipod. Although i had only just freshly arrived, the majority of people that are on their way to an event like T in the Park are drunk or stoned, and thiefs know this, so please take care of your belongings. (And others!! A few seconds is all it takes!)

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Feb-08, 04:58
Duggie shares my views on this...

http://www.melodytrip.com/MTNews/Default.aspx?NewsID=6035

7/8/2007 7:17:00 PM
Love, loathing and T in the Park (originally published in The Scotsman)

I'VE fallen out of love with T in the Park.
LOATHING/DOUG JOHNSTONE

Like a couple who realise there isn't enough there to keep their relationship going after the initial adrenaline rush of excitement, Scotland's largest music festival and I have been drifting apart for years.

There's no point in apportioning blame to the demise of our once thrilling relationship - we're probably both equally guilty. As we've both grown over the last 14 years, we've gotten older and perhaps a little wiser, and now, I think, we just want different things from life, so our split has been pretty amicable.

I last attended T in the Park three years ago, and had such a depressing time that I vowed never to return. Part of the problem, for me anyway, is the size of the thing these days. Every year the organisers announce that the festival is going to be bigger and better than previous years, with more tents, more bands, more people, more stalls and more booze.

But bigger isn't necessarily better. I miss the relaxed and laid-back atmosphere of the first few festivals at Strathclyde Country Park, before they moved to the more soulless airfield at Balado in Fife. I miss the rather slapdash organisation of those early years, when the numbers were small enough that you could effectively stick your tent up anywhere you liked, then it was a quick saunter across to see the bands.

These days, getting to and from T in the Park, not to mention getting around the enormous site itself, seems like a major military exercise. And if it's raining, which it usually is, that military exercise begins to resemble the Russian Front during the Second World War. The sheer weight of numbers attending the festival these days means that there is inevitably inordinate amounts of queuing, waiting, trudging and grumbling before you get anywhere near a band.

In the first year, 17,000 attended, with only 2,000 people camping. This year 75,000 punters will descend on the site, essentially the population of a small city decamping to a field in Fife. Is it any wonder that the place seems uncomfortably overcrowded?

My problem with T in the Park isn't to do with the music. This year's line-up has plenty of cracking stuff on offer, from the daft indie disco of CSS to the rumbling riffs of Queens of the Stone Age, from the folk-rap of Plan B to the blue-collar anthems of The Hold Steady.

But festivals in general, and big ones in particular, aren't always the best place to see your favourite band. Again, the sheer weight of numbers means it's hard to get anywhere near the stage, the sound quality at all festivals is notoriously patchy, and many bands will have to play shortened sets due to time restrictions. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go and see your favourite bands when they tour, in a more suitable venue, with fellow fans, in an atmosphere more convivial?

The argument is that at a festival, you can take in loads of different bands over the one weekend, but, in practise, this is impossible. I've tried it in the past, and it just doesn't work. A combination of scheduling changes and large distances to negotiate full of drunken party people means you always end up missing the stuff you wanted to see most. But here I am, blaming T in the Park, when the truth is that I've changed, too. When the festival started I was in my early 20s, when the suggestion of a lost weekend in a field with mates, off our faces and checking out our favourite bands, seemed like the best idea ever.

These days I'm a typical 30-something with a wife and a young son, and somehow, the thought of crowd surfing down the front for Biffy Clyro doesn't do it for me anymore, much as I love that band. Boring old fart that I am, I just don't want to sit in a field, three miles away from The Killers, repeatedly getting trodden on by steaming, bare-chested teenagers, spilling their warm lager down my neck in the process.

I'll always love music, and I'll always love seeing bands play live, but the logistical and atmospheric negatives of T in the Park now outweigh the musical positives. I've got plenty of memories (blurry ones, admittedly) of my own personal, seminal, T in the Park moments. Seeing Blur at the height of their powers, watching The Prodigy for the first time, catching The Flaming Lips in a small tent just when they were at their most cheerily triumphant... all of this will stay with me forever.

But, for me, T in the Park has been a case of diminishing returns for years now, as the vital, intimate atmosphere of the early days has been replaced by the multi-million music industry monolith of today. We've gone our separate ways - let's just leave it at that.

Boozeburglar
09-Feb-08, 05:24
I can relate to that. My experience with Glastonbury was much the same.

Ten or so years was all it took that circus to turn from what I loved to what I was ambivalent about when I last went ten years ago. I am sure a ten years younger me would still find something to have loved, but I had moved on and things had changed, for me at least.

Still, the young uns will love T in the P!

Wear a body belt with your valuable in it, don't take it off.

We eventually stopped taking anything to Glasto but our basics, and crashed in chill out tents. That is the way to go.

:)